Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Nice bike Moot, good luck on not breaking it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

mootmoot posted:

Just look at this gorgeous machine

edit: Drool, fools

Having pictures from all those angles should be helpful when it's time to file for an insurance claim.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How is it not all rashed up from your earlier escapades? Do you get a volume discount on plastic?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

slidebite posted:

How is it not all rashed up from your earlier escapades? Do you get a volume discount on plastic?

I see a good amount of rash.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
You laugh, but he has an Abba stand now and aren't those Pilot Road 3s?

You're going to log on one day and he'll be posting pictures of an 883 Harley and his new dayglo yellow aerostich and y'all 'll be like omg don't die loving squid machine nice rim tapes what do they think "werkes" means anyway" and he'll be like JUDO FLIP MOTHERFUCKERS I WIN!

Then he will be mod of CA and everyone will be banned. All the posters.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Saga posted:

You laugh, but he has an Abba stand now and aren't those Pilot Road 3s?

I've had the ABBA stand for ages

last year

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

mootmoot posted:

I've had the ABBA stand for ages

last year

Your plan is more advanced than I thought. The devilish cunning of it all, Moriarty.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Get something faster already. All I see is slow.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Saga posted:

Then he will be mod of CA and everyone will be banned. All the posters.

Holy gently caress you're right. Time to layer dan and call it a day.

Mootmoot mod for a day would actually be a fun experiment. How quickly can he tear down everything CA has built?

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

I bought this slightly beat up 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500r on Saturday evening, and I love it dearly. This is my first bike, and I thought I'd show it off here.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
I bought a 2010 Speed Triple a few weeks ago and was having so much fun with it that I forgot to post here about it. That said, have a dealer picture of it:

It came with a Leo Vince exhaust and an R&G radiator protector. I want to get a clutch and alternator cover and some sliders before I toss those ugly mirrors for some bar-ends. I love this bike, it's such a well-rounded package. It's got nice power and delivery and handles like a champ. The best part is that the insurance premiums for it are half of what I pay for my Sportster.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Nice. Is the Leo Vince insanely loud? Even the stock exhausts sound good on those engines. I take it the fork reflectors have already disappeared?

In new-but-not-my-bike news, a friend just got a new Ninja 250 in green and it's a really pretty little bike. Best of all is I get to try it out when deliver it to the CBT for him 'cause I have a fully comprehensive rider insurance policy :D

Yeah he got a new ninja as a first bike, it's the bike he wanted and there are just no second hand Ninja 250s here at all, mostly because most people start on an R1/R6/GSXR. I'm just happy he wanted a sensible bike. We're going to put some frame protectors and stuff on it for when he drops it for the first time :3:

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

Nice. Is the Leo Vince insanely loud? Even the stock exhausts sound good on those engines. I take it the fork reflectors have already disappeared?

It's not too loud with the baffle in. If I crack the throttle open it definitely gets noisy though. My 67 year-old grandma said it sounds like a "pissed off swarm of bees."

I still have the fork reflectors on, I didn't even notice them but now that you mentioned it they do look really ugly. I'm kind of a stickler for being as visible as possible though so they may just stay on there since I commute home from work in the dark.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
That's a great looking bike and you picked the best color.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you're concerned about yourself and your bike over the looks, leave the reflectors on. I almost took mine off, there's only 4, but then one night I pulled up to where my bike was parked when driving with a friend. It was parked on a main street and was drat near invisible except for the reflectors. If it lives in a garage and only comes out for cruises and cruise-in's then by all means, get rid of them. But they do actually serve a purpose and don't look that bad IMO.

I'm actually looking for a way to increase how well I stand out at night by adding more reflectors to my gear.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

nsaP posted:

If you're concerned about yourself and your bike over the looks, leave the reflectors on. I almost took mine off, there's only 4, but then one night I pulled up to where my bike was parked when driving with a friend. It was parked on a main street and was drat near invisible except for the reflectors. If it lives in a garage and only comes out for cruises and cruise-in's then by all means, get rid of them. But they do actually serve a purpose and don't look that bad IMO.

I'm actually looking for a way to increase how well I stand out at night by adding more reflectors to my gear.

Black 3M Scotchlite is great for not-ugly reflectiveness - barely visible black during the day, reflects bright white/silver in lights.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Black 3M Scotchlite is great for not-ugly reflectiveness - barely visible black during the day, reflects bright white/silver in lights.

I've seen bicycles with Scotchlite (or similar) rim tape, but I've never been able to actually find any for sale.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've seen bicycles with Scotchlite (or similar) rim tape, but I've never been able to actually find any for sale.

And on my first Google I found this:

http://www.awesomegraphics.co.uk/ep...20rim%20tape%22

Quite cheap too. Hmmm.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Not having your fork reflectors is also one more thing the cops can randomly hassle you about

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

Not having your fork reflectors is also one more thing the cops can randomly hassle you about

As I don't live in The Land Of The Free I don't know about such things, so do they have to be of an exact design and position, or could he get away with Scotchlite on the fork stanchion instead?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I don't know specifically what the law says or even whether it's the same everywhere, but I imagine if something less visually garish was still legal that the bike makers would have gone with that in the first place.

It's all playing a probability game - "If I have a tail tidy and small turn signals I'm probably OK, but if I have a tidy and signals AND a buzzy pipe AND my reflectors are gone AND it's near the end of the month AND Dunkin Donuts screwed up the cop's coffee order that morning, he's giving me a ticket for random bullshit" kind of a thing. The only place I remember hearing of cops explicitly harassing people for the fork reflectors was in California, but I really have no clue how it plugs into the general calculus of pulling you over / ticketing you elsewhere. If you're in Europe I'd be cautious driving around the Continent without them, some places sound like real sticklers.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As I don't live in The Land Of The Free I don't know about such things, so do they have to be of an exact design and position, or could he get away with Scotchlite on the fork stanchion instead?

In a state where we don't legally require mirrors or indicators I don't think any cop will give a gently caress about reflectors...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't know specifically what the law says or even whether it's the same everywhere, but I imagine if something less visually garish was still legal that the bike makers would have gone with that in the first place.

It's all playing a probability game - "If I have a tail tidy and small turn signals I'm probably OK, but if I have a tidy and signals AND a buzzy pipe AND my reflectors are gone AND it's near the end of the month AND Dunkin Donuts screwed up the cop's coffee order that morning, he's giving me a ticket for random bullshit" kind of a thing. The only place I remember hearing of cops explicitly harassing people for the fork reflectors was in California, but I really have no clue how it plugs into the general calculus of pulling you over / ticketing you elsewhere. If you're in Europe I'd be cautious driving around the Continent without them, some places sound like real sticklers.

I've literally never seen fork reflectors on an EU-spec bike. Not that we don't have our own stupid laws - the Police can literally seize your bike at the roadside in the UK for having a plate a mm too small or having a non-CE marked exhaust or a few other pretty trivial defects. They generally speaking won't, they'll just give a rectification notice, but it falls into that same sort of calculus that you talk about.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I was going to take the reflectors off my forks shortly after I got my SMC but before I could they just disappeared. They were the first bit of "excess weight" the KTM ever shed :swoon:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Whether or not to take the reflectors off is one thing, but drat the info stickers to hell. I have about five on the WR and they all need a blasting of WD40 to not leave sticky residue.

Sorry I didn't see you I was reading my "WARNING RIDE CAREFULLY" sticker.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Lighter fluid and paper kitchen towels are way better for sticker residue, the fluid just evaporates away instead of leaving an oily film to attract dust.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Paper towels can scratch paint. Old socks/shirts (clean) won't.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hot soapy water and time is best - get a corner up, use a sponge to rub the rest of the sticker off.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hot soapy water and time is best - get a corner up, use a sponge to rub the rest of the sticker off.

Unfortunately I already did the "try to rip them off in a hurry and leave square goo patches everywhere. I have some old lighter fluid I'll try this weekend.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If that doesn't work, 3M has an adhesive remover that easily eats most kinds of glue. Try it on a hidden area first to make sure it doesn't eat the clearcoat though, it's pretty strong.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

obso posted:

Paper towels can scratch paint. Old socks/shirts (clean) won't.

Huh, I didn't know that. I always used them because I knew they'd be clean, no grit or dirt to rub in. I guess I'll buy a cheap deck of sports socks for future de-grease-and-skicky-ing.

EDIT:
VVV Argyle, Surely? VVV

EDIT 2:
Nope, BMW is way ahead of us.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 2, 2012

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

I guess I'll buy a cheap deck of sports socks for future de-grease-and-skicky-ing.

Dress socks if it's a BMW.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Use a cloth diaper, if it's soft enough for a babby's rear end, it's soft enough for your paint.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bought my first real bike, a 2007 ER-6f (Or Ninja 650R as you yanks call it) today and rode it ~100km home. 5700km on the odo. Great condition except for a few small nicks in the left fairing and engine cover from when a previous owner did the classic "get off without putting the sidestand down".

Should have grabbed a better picture, but it started raining so I just wanted to get home as quick as possible.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Here's my bikes CL ad that I flew to St.Louis to buy about 3 weeks ago.

Here's my bike after I installed all the parts I bought for it. Still have a new bar and a rear hugger on the way. Not sure if I want the flyscreen or not.

DSC_0601 by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

DSC_0671 by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

DSC_0691 by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

titanium posted:

Here's my bike after I installed all the parts I bought for it. Still have a new bar and a rear hugger on the way. Not sure if I want the flyscreen or not.

DSC_0601 by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

DSC_0671 by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

DSC_0691 by Andrew Wong MPLS, on Flickr

Oof. Not a big fan of the exhaust, though it certainly is distinctive and I bet it sounds mean. You have inspired me to take some pictures of my triple as it is now though.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Oof. Not a big fan of the exhaust, though it certainly is distinctive and I bet it sounds mean. You have inspired me to take some pictures of my triple as it is now though.

I like it. I think it fits the Speed Triple better than other bikes LV sticks that can onto, where it just looks excessively large for that style of can (if you see what I'm saying).

I'd have kept/put the flyscreen and tall windscreen on, but that's just me.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Saga posted:

I like it. I think it fits the Speed Triple better than other bikes LV sticks that can onto, where it just looks excessively large for that style of can (if you see what I'm saying).

I'd have kept/put the flyscreen and tall windscreen on, but that's just me.

I think that's a street. No single sided swing arm.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It's a Street. IMO it works better on the Street because of the shape of the swingarm and engine bits. The Speed doesn't take to swoopy hydroformed exhaust shapes as elegantly, it ends up looking like beautifully painted fingernails on a burly trucker's arm.

I think that bike looks really sharp, although if it doesn't interfere with steering at full lock you should look at spinning those mirrors below the bars. Also the all black Triumphs scream out for some nice red rimtapezzzz, like the 15th Anniversary Speed has (pic is not mine):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

titanium posted:

You bastard. Gorgeous bike and you have the Tachibana helmet I want but cant have because they don't make one large enough for my gargantuan cranium.