Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
If I put a :smug: in my post - that means I'm right no matter what.

TraderStav posted:

Touché.

LOL - I'm sorry - I really did laugh out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Maybe it's just me, but the filler lorem ispum stuff on the book jacket design is really bugging me. It's the very first image I see when I open your kickstarter, and it really stands out and says "not finished" to me.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Noah posted:

Maybe it's just me, but the filler lorem ispum stuff on the book jacket design is really bugging me. It's the very first image I see when I open your kickstarter, and it really stands out and says "not finished" to me.

Good point - the proofs are back from the book cover artist and I've changed the main picture:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743646288/flotilla-a-post-apocolyptic-coming-of-age-tale

Maybe you noticed the typos - that's his way of making sure I don't run off with the proof before the last payment. :)

Robert Scoble just got back to me on the vids:

Robert Scoble posted:

Cool, thanks!
Nice job!

This is me right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thW5cXC3pJ4&t=8s

Edit: Just talked to Avner Ronen, CEO of Boxee ... told me that he liked the idea but I need to talk about why I wrote the story and what the money will be used for. Guess I'm re-shooting again. :)

OppositeOfLove fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 19, 2012

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

https://www.indiegogo.com/oldcollege

Who We Are
Hey everyone, I'm part of a group of old college friends who are putting together an indie publishing company called Old College Comics. We're Long Beach California locals, most of us graduating from California State University Long Beach. Our first comic will be The Freshmen Fifteen, a fifteen story anthology. 110 pages of black and white pages stocked with horror, comedy, slice of life and action stories. Here are some of the characters we've got to show you.

Why We Need You

We've been hard at work setting up contacts, and we're proud to say that we have a printer lined up, a booth reserved for the Long Beach Comic Con in November, and a great website getting created, but we need your help to make it a reality. We have all the writing done, and are completing the art. We have strict and furious deadlines that we've been meeting, and we're 100% confident in our ability to complete a finished product. We just need your help to get into the hands of everyone else.

We have a modest goal of $3000. We are super confident in our product, and we want you to be confident in us as well.

What You Get

We have a 15 story anthology, that's 110 black and white story pages with a full color cover. Everything is 6.625x10.25 (standard comic size) available in print and digital. Bundled alongside the anthology will be issue #1 of Afterman, a 22 page, beautifully water-colored comic (the image posted below).

Escalating donations get you t-shirts, 8x5 promo cards, included in our thank you pages, a personal song written for you by one of our writers, limited edition prints, sketches of your favorite character by your favorite artist, personal skype calls where WE WILL MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH YOU, and if you donate the highest amount, and live within 40 miles of us (Long Beach), we will hand deliver your items and take you out for some beers.

What Are the Stories

Taken directly from our Indiegogo, https://www.indiegogo.com/oldcollege

Ragnar: the adventure of a loin-clothed Viking prince on the run from his countrymen. He has been running for two days without stopping. It’s his birthday.

Idiot Dad: a slice of life comic about the stupidity of one young father.

Alex Elwood: a trip into another world with a guy and the monstrous giant he befriends. Is it real life? Is it just fantasy? It’s only 10 pages, so it won’t take too long to find out.

The House on the Forest’s Edge: a horror story about a home for orphans who have to fight for survival whenever a new kid comes to stay.

Lonely: the memoirs of a delusional and delightful little girl who wants to move to Hollywood, but doesn’t realize she already lives there.

Bad Pun Comics: a Sunday-strip style collection of awful, awful puns.

You’re STUCK Here: the minglings of a group of friends who attend a community college and can’t seem to ever graduate or date anyone outside of their own circle.

Dummies: the story of a family of unwitting robots caught in the middle of a futuristic war game between two soldiers.

Child Gone Wild: a comedic-thriller following two detectives tracking down a demon fetus who teleports from womb to womb, destroying relationships with each jump.

Population 1: a sci-fi comic about a man confined from society in a home filled wall-to-wall with moving screens that show everything from the news to his inner-most thoughts.

No Way Out: the tale of a man whose number of suicide attempts are only outnumbered by the number of ways he’s imagined his own death, each of which have failed miserably.

Old Time Manatee Comics: the sometimes-educational-depending-on-how-little-you-know-about-manatees adventures of a manatee, Morris T. Manatee, and all the bullshit a manatee gets up to. Manatee.

Junklords: the story of two junkyard workers who come across something that’s not quite man, not quite machine.

And finally, we’ve got Rocket Arms: the tale of a man who finds a genie’s lamp on the beach. What does he wish for? Only the title can tell (in a very self-explanatory way)!

I wrote The House on Forest's Edge, and I'm super stoked to be able to share it with you guys.

That's the main character of my story, Rudy. Rudy inexplicably finds himself walking through a golden meadow to the edge of a forest that stretches to the horizon in either direction. The only sign of civilization is a cottage at the edge of the forest, where two kids his age are busy digging graves in front. Things only get worse from there.

When Do You Get Your Product

We're going to be have everything ready by Halloween weekend AT THE LATEST. We will have everything completed at to the printers by the end of September, if not sooner.

Please let me know if there's any questions I can answer for you. Once again, we're shooting for $3000 funding goal for the printers, the comic con booth, website and the additional perks for super fantastic donors. We're closing in on our first $1000 and we just launched last night, so please be part of the Old College Comics. Thank you!

https://www.indiegogo.com/oldcollege

Noah fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 23, 2012

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Siobhan: A Fully Silent Feature-Length Film
http://www.indiegogo.com/siobhanfilm

A Fully Silent Feature-Length Film

Hi, my name is Cody Clarke, and I'm an independent filmmaker. I've produced, written, directed, and edited two feature-length films in the last two years: Shredder, and Rehearsals. I am seeking your help in funding my third in two years: Siobhan.

Siobhan is romantic comedy-drama in a similar vein to Woody Allen’s classic New York films. It tells the story of a reclusive Deaf woman in her mid-20‘s (named Siobhan) who lives alone in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and hermits herself from the world, from happiness, and from love. She will be played by renowned Deaf theatre actress Tami Lee Santimyer.

Over the course of the film, Siobhan goes through ups and downs, both comedic and tragic, as her outgoing and troublesome 18-year-old sister Sophie, who is hearing-impaired, tries to bring her out of her shell. Sophie will be played by newcomer Briana Birks, who, like her character, is hearing-impaired.

This film will be completely silent. No music, no ambient sound, nothing. All sign language and spoken dialogue will be subtitled. Deaf and Hearing filmgoers alike will enjoy the same viewing experience.

There has never been a film quite like this. Almost all films with Deaf characters feature sound, even ones with Deaf protagonists. So we are only ever encountering them from the perspective of a Hearing observer. Sound disables Hearing audiences from truly experiencing a Deaf character’s perspective. Only through silence can Hearing audiences be immersed in their world.

Another benefit of silence is that it provides Deaf actors the exceptionally rare opportunity of playing Hearing characters. In fact, almost all of the Hearing characters in the film will be played by Deaf talent. To say this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for them is an understatement: this is a once-in-film-history opportunity.

This film, this unique experience, can only be made possible through your kind donation. For over a year and a half, I’ve been trying to find funding for this film through traditional methods, and though response to the script has been great, it has been very difficult to find investors willing to take a chance on a fully silent film. This is a shame, because for Deaf audiences, all films are ‘silent’, yet that doesn’t stop them from enjoying films. If a story is well-told, and the visuals are compelling, that’s what matters most. Film began as, and always will be most of all, a visual medium. Siobhan is a love letter to the power of film in its purest form.

The Budget

$20,000 may sound like a very small amount of money to make a film with, but I am a very economical filmmaker. My first feature-length film, Shredder, cost a mere $3,000 to make. My second, Rehearsals, cost approximately $100, because I made it with the equipment I bought to make Shredder. The entire budget was spent on subway rides to and from locations, lugging all the equipment myself and shooting every bit of it myself.

However, I can't make Siobhan on a Shredder or Rehearsals budget. It's just not possible. There are many locations, including several unavoidably expensive ones, and we also need much more equipment than the bare amount I own. Every penny of that $20,000 will be seen on screen.

Other Ways You Can Help

If you cannot afford to make a donation but would still like to help out, you can do so by sharing a link to this campaign and spreading the word. The more people know about what we're trying to do, the better.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy the finished film. And of course, if you have any questions about the project, please contact me.

Best,
Cody Clarke

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

I think you're going to be a victim of your own success. You're going to mail me a print to order comic book with color for $5? You're going to mail me a 110 page comic book for $15? That + promo cards + t-shirt for $50? I think your rewards need to be shifted toward a few tiers. $5 should be PDF of one comic, $15 PDF of the anthology, then at $25 someone gets a print copy of Afterman, $50 they get the anthology.

By all accounts, fulfilling physical rewards loving sucks, and very few campaigns seem to take into account the cost of shipping materials, the time to ship them, quality control, shipping costs, etc. What if someone's gets damaged or lost in the mail? What if there is a printing error?

The project packaging is a little odd. You're launching a comic + an anthology of 15 comics. Why not an anthology of 16 comics? Also the name of the anthology: I really thought it consisted of comics about being in college and gaining weight.

I haven't read a comic in ages so I can't predict your success based on the material, but the artwork you show and your personalities are enjoyable. I think you'll meet your $3000 goal. Unfortunately you launched on IG, with flexible funding, so it's going to turn a lot of people off on that basis alone.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

codyclarke posted:

However, I can't make Siobhan on a Shredder or Rehearsals budget. It's just not possible. There are many locations, including several unavoidably expensive ones, and we also need much more equipment than the bare amount I own. Every penny of that $20,000 will be seen on screen.

Then why are you running a flexible funding campaign?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Then why are you running a flexible funding campaign?

Because when the campaign runs out, if we have not reached our goal, we're going to keep trying to raise money. Flexible Funding allows us to not have to start from zero, in that scenario. We'd be able to start a website for the film, list how much we've raised so far, and how much we still need to raise. We could accept PayPal donations and still offer rewards. And, if the money already raised were enough, maybe we'd be able to shoot a few scenes.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I think you're going to be a victim of your own success. You're going to mail me a print to order comic book with color for $5? You're going to mail me a 110 page comic book for $15? That + promo cards + t-shirt for $50? I think your rewards need to be shifted toward a few tiers. $5 should be PDF of one comic, $15 PDF of the anthology, then at $25 someone gets a print copy of Afterman, $50 they get the anthology.

By all accounts, fulfilling physical rewards loving sucks, and very few campaigns seem to take into account the cost of shipping materials, the time to ship them, quality control, shipping costs, etc. What if someone's gets damaged or lost in the mail? What if there is a printing error?

The project packaging is a little odd. You're launching a comic + an anthology of 15 comics. Why not an anthology of 16 comics? Also the name of the anthology: I really thought it consisted of comics about being in college and gaining weight.

I haven't read a comic in ages so I can't predict your success based on the material, but the artwork you show and your personalities are enjoyable. I think you'll meet your $3000 goal. Unfortunately you launched on IG, with flexible funding, so it's going to turn a lot of people off on that basis alone.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look at our project, we do appreciate the constructive criticism. You're absolutely right that shipping is gonna be one hell of a monster to tackle, but all of us are committed to the man hours that it'll take to get through it all. Our pricing model is based on what we thought donors could reasonably afford, and what we could supplement with our own volunteer efforts. We aren't looking to make scads of money, we just want to get our product in the hands of our donors with as low a cost as we can. We're working with a printer that we fully trust and are confident moving forward with them on all issues ranging from printing errors to quality control.

The main reason why Afterman and The Freshmen Fifteen are bundled separately is so that both intellectual properties are distinct in their own right. Also Afterman is in full color where as the anthology is in black and white except for the color cover.

We also understand the debate between Kickstarter and Indiegogo, which we definitely measured both formats for their pros and cons, and ultimately we decided Indiegogo was best for our campaign and our voice. We've raised almost $1,300 dollars in two days, so we're definitely confident about hitting our goal.

If our biggest problem is shipping a ton of books, we will be glad to take on that problem. Thank you for the feedback though, and being very courteous about it. We really appreciate anyone who gives us a look.

Noah fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 25, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Noah posted:

We aren't looking to make scads of money, we just want to get our product in the hands of our donors with as low a cost as we can. We're working with a printer that we fully trust and are confident moving forward with them on all issues ranging from printing errors to quality control.

I guess it's significantly cheaper to print this stuff than I thought. Awesome. :)

quote:

The main reason why Afterman and The Freshmen Fifteen are bundled separately is so that both intellectual properties are distinct in their own right. Also Afterman is in full color where as the anthology is in black and white except for the color cover.

Makes sense. I guess it also doesn't hurt to have two products at different pricepoints at your convention booth.

quote:

If our biggest problem is shipping a ton of books, we will be glad to take on that problem. Thank you for the feedback though, and being very courteous about it. We really appreciate anyone who gives us a look.

Thanks for sharing the project.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any crowdfunding-pro goons able to give a little advice?

For those that saw and followed the GBS thread about the John Galt clothing store, I'm the goon that's actively working to get this shirt made. We've turned to crowdfunding to handle the pre-purchase of these shirts, because it seemed like the only way.

We've hammered out all the production, shipping, and costs details and even have a Kickstarter drafted (can share the preview, if desired). It has to be all-or-nothing, because at $15 a shirt it only works at the 48+ price break. We're open to donations exceeding the $15 as this would allow for use to cover a couple of extras in case of mishaps. Also, we'd like to send nearly all the profits to an approved and national or international level charity, but we can't explicitly say that as it's against KS's guidelines.

So, questions:
So, considering we only have one tier (at $15) and sinse this is a prepayment campaign, would we actually be better served at IndieGoGo? (Note, RocketHub has been ruled out because it lacks "all-or-nothing")
Does IndieGoGo also withhold funds for two weeks? This could cause us to immediately switch over.
Regardless of platform, will we be shown how much our backers actually backed us with beyond what tier level they reached? (i.e. a backer in Denmark only pays $15 for the shirt)
And, related, can we withhold the reward because they didn't cover the additional shipping requirements?

And yes, we're practically ready to launch the Kickstarter now. So, these are all probably just pre-game jitters mixed anxiety about learning a different approach (IndieGoGo) right before launch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

BirdOfPlay posted:

So, considering we only have one tier (at $15) and sinse this is a prepayment campaign, would we actually be better served at IndieGoGo? (Note, RocketHub has been ruled out because it lacks "all-or-nothing")

I don't see why you'd be better off at IG over KS. IG has a smaller audience, but maybe T-shirt projects do better there? KS has a special category if you have a video and are seeking less than $1,000.

quote:

Regardless of platform, will we be shown how much our backers actually backed us with beyond what tier level they reached? (i.e. a backer in Denmark only pays $15 for the shirt)

I'm sure it does, as people manually input an amount they're donating, then click on one of the reward levels they qualify for.

quote:

And, related, can we withhold the reward because they didn't cover the additional shipping requirements?

Why not make a second reward tier for international shipping?

quote:

And yes, we're practically ready to launch the Kickstarter now. So, these are all probably just pre-game jitters mixed anxiety about learning a different approach (IndieGoGo) right before launch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Why don't you release your image publicly then people who really want it can plug it into CafePress or one of the other shops? I know it will be more expensive, but we're talking a difference of $10-15 per shirt right? Is such a miniscule level of savings worth the hassle of all this? It just seems like there are so many opportunities for things to go wrong (wrong size, printer fuckups, "lost" shirts). You can take all those problems onto your shoulders, or you can pay a little bit more and make them CafePress' problems.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Why not make a second reward tier for international shipping?

Mainly cause it's easier to gauge for postage to across the country than to gauge it based on continental Europe and beyond. But I think I will add an international tier on review.

quote:

Why don't you release your image publicly then people who really want it can plug it into CafePress or one of the other shops? I know it will be more expensive, but we're talking a difference of $10-15 per shirt right? Is such a miniscule level of savings worth the hassle of all this? It just seems like there are so many opportunities for things to go wrong (wrong size, printer fuckups, "lost" shirts). You can take all those problems onto your shoulders, or you can pay a little bit more and make them CafePress' problems.

Had forgotten about CafePress. And, really, the design is all over that thread, nothings stopping a goon from doing that right now. There's even a link to another such website that someone posted.

I mean, I know people were just saying that they'd buy the shirt and might not end up doing so. So I guess the real thing is, I just want to see if it'll work out after having seem other such projects just not really even try. Granted, interest has probably completely fizzled by this point (I'm still waiting for the KS to be reviewed over the entirety of this weekend), but I'm only planning on quitting this thing once the KS fails. Plus, this way, the creator has a chance to know if people really are out there with his shirt.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
I know I've posted my Kickstarter before but I'm continuing to iterate the videos and message until the Kickstarter is done. I've created two new videos this weekend and I wanted to pass them along

Video #1 - a Bollywood Actress Likes My Project - You Should, Too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUDerWON9GQ

Video #2 - My personal Kickstarter message - now with Motion Graphics!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmPNtORE8ww

This is after a bunch of effort, re-shoots, editing, negotiation and learning After Effects overnight to bring in the graphics. Dying to know what you think. And, for comparison, here's my original video that made people hate me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAMxVawKNvY

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

OppositeOfLove posted:

This is after a bunch of effort, re-shoots, editing, negotiation and learning After Effects overnight to bring in the graphics. Dying to know what you think. And, for comparison, here's my original video that made people hate me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAMxVawKNvY

Your campaign is a disaster.

The videos are better shot. I don't think the fake static or after effects really add anything, but that might just be me griping. The video you made with that lady is kinda compelling: she is selling it very well. But her connection to the material isn't clear, so it feels like an odd paid spokesperson gig. Referencing the kickstarter campaign at all is an odd choice, at it makes it hard for you to include that video in further fundraising (without editing). In the video she also proclaims that you have fans all over the world, and that your next novel will be a smash hit. These claims fly directly in the face of the fact you can't raise a few hundred dollars on KS.

Your message is still a mess. The first paragraph of your KS campaign is:

"The hottest indie teen sci-fi novel of 2012 will be the hottest indie sci-fi teen series of 2013! Work isn't boring if you're naked!"

It just screams that you're not taking the project seriously. Further down in your description you have the big header "FLOTILLA IS FOR YOU!" followed by a bullet list of negative characteristics ("If you think it's okay to be pretty and dumb", etc). When people normally encounter a large bold header followed by a bullet list, they associate the header with what follows.

You're at 1% of your goal with 10 days left. I think your effort and clout would be better spent thinking about your post-KS plan. Hence why it was an odd decision to get a spokesperson to pimp a stillborn crowdfunding campaign instead of the IP itself.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

BirdOfPlay posted:

So I guess the real thing is, I just want to see if it'll work out after having seem other such projects just not really even try. Granted, interest has probably completely fizzled by this point (I'm still waiting for the KS to be reviewed over the entirety of this weekend), but I'm only planning on quitting this thing once the KS fails.

I just can't grasp why you'd want to take on this kind of responsibility and liability for a tiny print run of a t-shirt about a thread on a comedy forum. At least tell me that you have another dozen t-shirt designs lined up and you're going to use this as a promotional opportunity to found your design company. If your answer is to really set this whole thing up just to make 50 prints of a t-shirt, I don't know what to say.

quote:

Plus, this way, the creator has a chance to know if people really are out there with his shirt.

Just provide the link to the pre-made cafepress t-shirt and you'll definitely know how many people have ordered it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

In the video she also proclaims that you have fans all over the world, and that your next novel will be a smash hit.
BTW, the guy who posted the Kickstarter isn't actually the author, I guess the author is paying for his services?

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Your campaign is a disaster.

The videos are better shot. I don't think the fake static or after effects really add anything, but that might just be me griping. The video you made with that lady is kinda compelling: she is selling it very well. But her connection to the material isn't clear, so it feels like an odd paid spokesperson gig. Referencing the kickstarter campaign at all is an odd choice, at it makes it hard for you to include that video in further fundraising (without editing). In the video she also proclaims that you have fans all over the world, and that your next novel will be a smash hit. These claims fly directly in the face of the fact you can't raise a few hundred dollars on KS.

Your message is still a mess. The first paragraph of your KS campaign is:

"The hottest indie teen sci-fi novel of 2012 will be the hottest indie sci-fi teen series of 2013! Work isn't boring if you're naked!"

It just screams that you're not taking the project seriously. Further down in your description you have the big header "FLOTILLA IS FOR YOU!" followed by a bullet list of negative characteristics ("If you think it's okay to be pretty and dumb", etc). When people normally encounter a large bold header followed by a bullet list, they associate the header with what follows.

You're at 1% of your goal with 10 days left. I think your effort and clout would be better spent thinking about your post-KS plan. Hence why it was an odd decision to get a spokesperson to pimp a stillborn crowdfunding campaign instead of the IP itself.

Probably. I still think of the KS as an experiment that was successful in that it got me more attention than I would have otherwise.

het posted:

BTW, the guy who posted the Kickstarter isn't actually the author, I guess the author is paying for his services?

I'm sure I would be paying him if I could afford to.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I've added a couple of new rewards including a DVD for my project, The Mistor System (for hooking up with hot sexy ladies).

http://kck.st/LvZPHv

Here's the last short in the series as an example of what I'm trying to produce (NSFW):

https://vimeo.com/105597

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Not technically mine, but it's a friend's project that I'm pretty involved in and would love to see succeed:

A feature length film based on the concept album of the same name by British prog-rock band IQ. It's a story about a man who's spent his entire life in a darkened cell as part of a social experiment. Now he finds that his cell is open and he's free to go. For the first time in his life he experiences light and the existence of other human beings, and he must figure out how to live among them as he tries to discover who did this to him--and why.

Progress So Far
The director, Mat Miller, has been working on the script for over a year, and has convinced the band to come on board to provide a brand new score for the film that will be comprised of new material in addition to themes from the album. The crew is assembled and ready to go, and all we need now is the funding to finally put it into production.

Where's Your Money Going?
As far as I know, the actors are the only ones even kind of getting paid for this--the entire crew is working for free, so all the money we make will go toward the costs of actors, locations, equipment rentals, and food for the crew that will be slaving away for nothing (this includes me, although I kicked in money already, so I guess I'm technically paying to work on it). $30,000 is a really small budget, but I've worked with this crew many times before and we've done some really great stuff with a lot less. For this project, though, we really want to go above and beyond anything we've done before, so that $30k is absolutely necessary to do this. If we can't raise the funds, then we can't make the film.

Incentives
We have some pretty standard stuff to offer (DVDs, T-shirts, etc), but also some other cool stuff you can get like a download of the new score, your name on the slate while we shoot, props from the film, a Skype call with the band and director, or even being an extra in the movie. And also you get your name on the website and/or in the credits.

More Info
For more about the film, you can go to the Kickstarter or the website. For more about some of the leads on this project (director, cinematographer, producers) and to check out screen shots from some previous projects, you can visit the Birdman Films website.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
So, a friend from AP Art class back in high school directed a 3d film for what I believe was his final project. It is, frankly, fan-loving-tastic. He was a quite a bit better than me in class...

Legacy

I meant to make this post a week ago, but I completely forgot. I just saw the full film, and it's amazing work. It's the result of a lot of work from a lot of people, so I hope someone here might want to chip in a couple bucks to help send it to film festivals.

MSubjack
Aug 2, 2012
My name is Michael Subjack and I'm currently trying to raise funds for the opening scene of my feature-length adaptation of Eerie, Indiana, an NBC show that ran from 1991-92 (I imagine a few of you remember it). I was able to get Joe Dante to speak on behalf of the project (very cool guy) and I'm trying to raise a lot of money to make this happen. Obviously donations are awesome but raising awareness for it is also very useful at this stage. If you can help in any way, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

http://www.indiegogo.com/eerieindiana?a=913481

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
My book project - So Bad, It's Good! - was successful, with $2,598 pledged with a $1,500 goal. I know a few people came from the forums and pledged, so thanks to anyone who did! I'll definitely use Kickstarter again in the future if I have an appropriate project.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

MSubjack posted:

My name is Michael Subjack and I'm currently trying to raise funds for the opening scene of my feature-length adaptation of Eerie, Indiana, an NBC show that ran from 1991-92 (I imagine a few of you remember it). I was able to get Joe Dante to speak on behalf of the project (very cool guy) and I'm trying to raise a lot of money to make this happen. Obviously donations are awesome but raising awareness for it is also very useful at this stage. If you can help in any way, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

J4KS is now a thing I guess.

$90,000 to film an opening scene of an adaptation of a single season show from the early 90s. And, of course, it's a flexible funding campaign.

MSubjack
Aug 2, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

J4KS is now a thing I guess.

$90,000 to film an opening scene of an adaptation of a single season show from the early 90s. And, of course, it's a flexible funding campaign.

I have no clue what J4KS is. And it's a flexible funding campaign because $90,000 is a lot but I can still make it work for less than that. I mention that in the description, if you missed it. What does "of course" imply? I can send you a budget outline if you're that curious.

MSubjack fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 3, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

MSubjack posted:

And it's a flexible funding campaign because $90,000 is a lot but I can still make it work for less than that. I mention that in the description, if you missed it.

Whats the absolute minimum you need to make it work? If you receive less than that amount, will you refund people? Of course not, because if you were ok with this, you'd do a fixed funding campaign for the real minimum.

quote:

What does "of course" imply? I can send you a budget outline if you're that curious.

It's very common right now for people to put up flex funding campaigns for everything under the sun, because any money that comes in is "free money". You set an absurdly high goal which won't be met, so then you can tell your donators thanks for their help but you can't really do anything with the $3,000 you raised. Then you make vague gestures that you're going to continue looking for fundraising elsewhere blah blah blah.

MSubjack
Aug 2, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Whats the absolute minimum you need to make it work? If you receive less than that amount, will you refund people? Of course not, because if you were ok with this, you'd do a fixed funding campaign for the real minimum.

It's very common right now for people to put up flex funding campaigns for everything under the sun, because any money that comes in is "free money". You set an absurdly high goal which won't be met, so then you can tell your donators thanks for their help but you can't really do anything with the $3,000 you raised. Then you make vague gestures that you're going to continue looking for fundraising elsewhere blah blah blah.

Wow. So I'd just walk with the money? If the amount remains this low or only climbs a little, I will give everyone their money back. Right now it's family and friends and I don't steal from anyone, let alone family or friends. I've been working with a professional on the budget and if I need to re-tool the script and the budget, I will do so in the coming weeks. If you're not interested in the project, fine. Implying I'm going to walk with people's money is pretty lovely, though.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

MSubjack posted:

Wow. So I'd just walk with the money? If the amount remains this low or only climbs a little, I will give everyone their money back. Right now it's family and friends and I don't steal from anyone, let alone family or friends. I've been working with a professional on the budget and if I need to re-tool the script and the budget, I will do so in the coming weeks. If you're not interested in the project, fine. Implying I'm going to walk with people's money is pretty lovely, though.

Just ignore him. He's cynical toward pretty much everyone who posts a campaign in this thread.

Your idea is good. The source material is great and the concept of a fan-created reboot (rather than a generic Hollywood reboot) is really compelling. If I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't try and shoot a complex, $90,000 scene. I'd shoot a teaser trailer that shows the tone across the entire film. But I'm not gonna discourage you for going that route.

I can't donate (as I'm currently raising money for my own film) but you have my attention and I'll be following your progress. I wish you the best of luck.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think it's a good idea to be a little wary of crowd sourcing at the moment just because it seems to be on an upswing and you'll have a combination of scammers plus people that don't realize what they're getting into sort of poisoning the well.

However I don't think that should discourage people from putting new projects out there, but I definitely agree with Cody (screw you for stopping Lady Tiger updates by the way). A $90,000 opening scene is just the wrongest way to go about this. What are you going to do with that once you've filmed it? By the time you get around to filming anything else, assuming success, that opening scene will be pretty much worthless for the most part. Raise money for a proper pre-production process or hell raise money for a $100k film. It's possible. But if you're raising money for an expensive rear end proof of concept that only covers once scene, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

What about a $90,000 seriously high production value short film that covers some themes and tones you wish to cover in the full length feature? That's a much more rich investment.

MSubjack
Aug 2, 2012
The idea is to have something to show producers in addition to the feature-length script. It will cover the look, tone and feel of the overall film. I look at the opening scene as a condensed episode of the show, brought up to modern times and standards. It has its own beginning and end. It's doesn't just end abruptly. I absolutely agree it's a gamble but sad but true, Hollywood only pays attention to you if you look like you don't need their help.

I promise it will be a satisfying viewing experience for anyone who watches it and a nice taste of what the feature will be like if it were to ever happen.

So fair points and I genuinely appreciate good feedback. Thanks, guys!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

MSubjack posted:

If you're not interested in the project, fine. Implying I'm going to walk with people's money is pretty lovely, though.

I can be curt sometimes, however: you join the forums and in your first post you ask for $90,000. You claim you've been a filmmaker since you were 14 yet you don't talk about or link to your past work. These are reasons to be skeptical, right? Now, it looks like you've got some other stuff uploaded to the same account that hosts the IG video, but I doubt many people are going to go looking for it. Which is a shame because it shows what you're capable of.

I apologize for questioning your motives.

But here's a question that is actually pertinent: have you secured the rights to make this adaptation?

MSubjack
Aug 2, 2012
I've got Vimeo and YouTube pages which are easy enough to seek out. Crowd funding videos should be succinct and honestly, I've never found a few seconds from somebody's short or commercial to be necessarily indicative of them as filmmakers. lovely movies can have dynamite trailers. Maybe I've lost a few potential donations because I didn't include a five second clip of a short film I did but I doubt it's going to make a substantial difference in the long run.

As for the rights, I've hired an attorney to help me with that and we have closed in on who has them. It's not easy getting a straight answer because I'm not a major studio with millions at my disposal but it is something I'm working hard on and taking very seriously. So that's about as "legit" as I can be, at least on an internet message board.

I was honestly under the impression everything everyone needed to know was on the IndieGoGo page. I addressed not raising the full amount and the quality of the video should indicate I have some skill in filmmaking. I was able to get a major filmmaker to speak on it and it's a property that doesn't have a Twin Peaks or Star Trek-level following but it still has a following. Why would I try anything nefarious if I'm being that open? What's left to be skeptical of? Even my message board name on here is my real name.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

MSubjack posted:

I've got Vimeo and YouTube pages which are easy enough to seek out. Crowd funding videos should be succinct and honestly, I've never found a few seconds from somebody's short or commercial to be necessarily indicative of them as filmmakers. lovely movies can have dynamite trailers. Maybe I've lost a few potential donations because I didn't include a five second clip of a short film I did but I doubt it's going to make a substantial difference in the long run.

How much do you expect to raise with the campaign at this point? Do you think you'll make the $90k? Do you expect to get over half? You seem to be confident in your approach to crowdfunding, so I'm interested where your expectations are.

quote:

As for the rights, I've hired an attorney to help me with that and we have closed in on who has them. It's not easy getting a straight answer because I'm not a major studio with millions at my disposal but it is something I'm working hard on and taking very seriously. So that's about as "legit" as I can be, at least on an internet message board.

Just so we're clear, you had filmmaking professionals and instructors greenlight this project despite the fact that you haven't even found out if the rights are available? What's the game plan if you can't get the rights? I can't be the first person to ask you these questions.

quote:

I was honestly under the impression everything everyone needed to know was on the IndieGoGo page.

I didn't see the part on your page where you talk about how you don't have the rights yet. If I make an IG campaign to make Star Wars Episodes 7-9, whether I have the rights or not is kind of a big deal. Maybe I have Carrie Fisher talk it up in the video, but it doesn't mean I can legally do the thing I am asking money to do.

quote:

I addressed not raising the full amount and the quality of the video should indicate I have some skill in filmmaking. I was able to get a major filmmaker to speak on it and it's a property that doesn't have a Twin Peaks or Star Trek-level following but it still has a following. Why would I try anything nefarious if I'm being that open? What's left to be skeptical of? Even my message board name on here is my real name.

Google tells me you also have threads on CHUD and NeoGaf about this project. Neither of those threads have gotten a single reply. You even have a post history on CHUD. Until I did, it looks like no one actually engaged you about your project. Why do you think that is?

MSubjack
Aug 2, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

How much do you expect to raise with the campaign at this point? Do you think you'll make the $90k? Do you expect to get over half? You seem to be confident in your approach to crowdfunding, so I'm interested where your expectations are.

Just so we're clear, you had filmmaking professionals and instructors greenlight this project despite the fact that you haven't even found out if the rights are available? What's the game plan if you can't get the rights? I can't be the first person to ask you these questions.

I didn't see the part on your page where you talk about how you don't have the rights yet. If I make an IG campaign to make Star Wars Episodes 7-9, whether I have the rights or not is kind of a big deal. Maybe I have Carrie Fisher talk it up in the video, but it doesn't mean I can legally do the thing I am asking money to do.

Google tells me you also have threads on CHUD and NeoGaf about this project. Neither of those threads have gotten a single reply. You even have a post history on CHUD. Until I did, it looks like no one actually engaged you about your project. Why do you think that is?

I honestly don't know why there aren't a lot of takers are this point, be it the amount or what. NeoGaf wasn't me, that was a friend. I have no idea what interests people on that site. And as for CHUD, it's not uncommon for posts promoting creative work by the users to go without any replies. The majority of discussions there are about films and not really filmmaking, so I was a little disappointed but not overwhelmingly shocked it didn't get any bites.

And this isn't Star Wars, so that's not a good comparison at all. Although I should point out that there's a huge number of Star Wars fan films that I'm guessing George Lucas never saw a dime for. I'm not making a penny off of this for the foreseeable future, so that's something to consider as well. I'm making a strong effort to legally obtain the rights and honestly, other than you, nobody's really made a big stink about the rights, including (gasp), the rights holders.

At this point, we're going in circles. What's left? You can ask me all the questions you want but based on YOUR post history, you have a tendency to heavily criticize anyone doing crowd funding without making any contributions, so why am I trying to justify myself and my project to you? Based on the two guys who posted after you, the smug "I'm hitting you with some truth" attitude doesn't really seem to apply. You're hitting me with your truth and if this thread is any indication, you're pretty alone there.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

MSubjack posted:

At this point, we're going in circles. What's left? You can ask me all the questions you want but based on YOUR post history, you have a tendency to heavily criticize anyone doing crowd funding without making any contributions, so why am I trying to justify myself and my project to you? Based on the two guys who posted after you, the smug "I'm hitting you with some truth" attitude doesn't really seem to apply. You're hitting me with your truth and if this thread is any indication, you're pretty alone there.

I'm sorry I've wasted your time. You are eager for me to stop asking questions so I'll comply.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

I'm an Austin-based film and theater director, and we're trying to raise some funds to help us produce an original play, called "Freedom Fighter," based on the story of David Fagen, an African-American soldier who defected to the enemy side during the Philippines War.

We're looking to raise $1,000. The whole show is going to cost much more than that, but we're just looking to offset the financial burden of producing this play, which will include video projections, music, dance, and period costumes.

We can't offer rewards like trinkets and props from the set, since most of our stuff will be rented, and since it's a play we can't email a DVD to anyone, but we offer posters, high-quality promo photos, tickets to the show and invitations to the cast party (for anyone who lives in Austin.)

We've got a video on our KickStarter page featuring a sneak-peek of one of the monologues from the show: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2057421757/freedom-fighter-a-new-play

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

It's been a few weeks since I started my Kickstarter project, but the funds have cleared and I'm making good on my promise to blog about this painting. Thought everyone might be interested in following along and seeing where exactly the time is going post-funding.

http://michaelhfusco.wordpress.com

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

eggyolk posted:

It's been a few weeks since I started my Kickstarter project, but the funds have cleared and I'm making good on my promise to blog about this painting. Thought everyone might be interested in following along and seeing where exactly the time is going post-funding.

http://michaelhfusco.wordpress.com

Please mark that as NSFW!

I don't remember... did we get enough goon funding to have a :frogout: on the back or anything?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Dropping back in for updates!

http://www.indiegogo.com/oldcollege

This comic anthology project that I am a writer on is closing in on its goal. We're all super stoked, and we've raised $2560 of our $3000 goal, and we still have 18 days left!

So beyond the stress and the realization that, oh poo poo we actually have to do this now (just kidding, our art is entering the inking stages of August), we are really excited to publish our labor of love. Because we're so close to our goal, and due to the nature of flexible funding of IndieGoGo, I can confidently say that everyone who has donated will receive their product. All the rewards we expect to have in our hands at the end of October. We've booked our booth for the Long Beach Comic Con which is in early November, and we've got our website to show you too!

https://www.oldcollegecomics.com

We have a blog that we plan to keep updated as well, and one of our writers is going to be posting a Green Lantern = Space Jam essay very soon.

So essentially, all further donations of $5 or more are now pre-order status. For $5 you get a beautifully watercolored copy of the first non-anthology issue, Afterman #1 in print or PDF. $15 gets both the 140 B/W Anthology issue (15 stories) and a copy of Afterman #1. All in print.

If this seems like a great deal, I would agree with you! We have evaluated all of the costs associated with delivering this product, and we've cut the price down as much as we possibly can for this first initial print run. We understand the labor costs, printing costs, and distribution costs of it all and we are proud to be able to deliver this product for as low as we have.

However, I cannot guarantee that the price we have for everything will remain. I actually expect the price to rise after our IndieGoGo campaign has finished. So I would honestly recommend picking this up now if you're interested. For not too much more you can get a thank you in the book, and some limited edition promo cards.

BUT HEY, if you like what we're doing but can't spare any money, a Facebook like or a tweet is always appreciated. If anyone has any questions, I'd love to answer them!

edit: Fixing clarity.

Noah fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
And we just hit our funding goal! There's still two weeks to get your pre-orders in!