Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Sean Murray posted:

No one plays a bad game, and thinks "well at least the team had a good work/life balance".

No, but they buy decent ones that were notorious for horrible crunch, and think "I wonder how much better this game would be had it not been a management disaster?"

Sean Murray posted:

I thought LA Noire could have used more elbow grease from Team Bondi.

:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Counting my lucky stars I am where I am right now. Guy I know recently started at Ubisoft in Newcastle and he said that so far that week he had done about 28 hours.

That was said on wednesday morning.

Crunch would have a really bad effect on my already not-stellar health.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Sounds about right, depending on the project. Scrum seems to be a religion there and they don't seem big on planning in the long-term.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

icking fudiot posted:

We just manufacture ours now out of raw interns, too hard/expensive to find experienced ones.

Our core programming team all started out as interns anyway but now we are seasoned Unreal programming veteran ninjas.

See, we're doing the whole 'small team, huge project' thing and need people that are strong in a bunch of different areas. Like.... if we had the time to turn someone from an intern into a veteran unreal programmer we'd probably go for it but everyone's spinning about a hundred plates at once at the moment.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Shalinor posted:

Interesting. Wouldn't have figured Copernicus for being the sort of game at PAX.

If I remember correctly, it was at PAX East the first year that they held it (when it was at the Hynes center on Boylston Street) so it was local for them at the time. I forget which event it was, one of the main hall ones. I had a VIP badge so I was seated between Curt and the fat dude that draws PVP comic. I don't think the game was being shown.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Maide posted:

That's Gabe Newell. Small anecdote: I met him last October at Blizzcon, and when I asked him for a DotA2 beta key, he told me to email him, and then he never responded back. I'm still heart-broken. In all seriousness, my friends got a picture with him and he's really nice about all that sort of stuff.

I met him once at my first ever press junket; he smelled strongly of Windex. To this day, I'm still not sure why.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Hello Games' Sean Murray on Loving Crunch.

It's disappointing. I thought this guy was pretty decent, turns out he's an arsehole who thinks people should work harder, but evidently not smarter, as he advocates lying to QA and jamming in new features at the last minute. Luckily an EG user took him properly to task in the comments pretty quickly.

He can't possibly be saying that LA Noire needed more crunch seriously, can he? No loving reasonable person could say that and not be a huge poo poo-Hitler of a human being, right?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

waffledoodle posted:

No, but they buy decent ones that were notorious for horrible crunch, and think "I wonder how much better this game would be had it not been a management disaster?"

:eng99:

The only time I have heard someone say that programmers needed more greasy skin

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I'm probably going to be answering my own question, but here goes.

I've been very interested in game design for years now. I've built a few ruddy games and am working on a bigger project now with a small staff; an indie project to pad my portfolio. I've been working on a CS degree but I just don't understand the math and I don't feel like I'll ever finish it (only about 5 classes away from my Associate's). I've considered switching to an IT degree but I don't want to limit myself when it comes to jobs in this industry.

Does anyone else have experience facing this issue? Is it more about making things on your own time rather than a degree? I do want a degree but the more I read in this thread I realize that a CS degree isn't absolutely necessary, especially since I'm not looking to be a senior programmer or anything like that, I'd rather do a little bit of everything, pick apart design flaws, design levels, etc. I'm just a little lost and knowing that other people have gone through the same thing is a huge sigh of relief for me.

Also, I apologize if this exact question has been asked before, this is a huge thread and I'm barely 1/3 of the way through it. It's tons of help though!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

desudrive posted:

I've been very interested in game design for years now. I've built a few ruddy games and am working on a bigger project now with a small staff; an indie project to pad my portfolio. I've been working on a CS degree but I just don't understand the math and I don't feel like I'll ever finish it (only about 5 classes away from my Associate's). I've considered switching to an IT degree but I don't want to limit myself when it comes to jobs in this industry.

Does anyone else have experience facing this issue? Is it more about making things on your own time rather than a degree? I do want a degree but the more I read in this thread I realize that a CS degree isn't absolutely necessary, especially since I'm not looking to be a senior programmer or anything like that, I'd rather do a little bit of everything, pick apart design flaws, design levels, etc. I'm just a little lost and knowing that other people have gone through the same thing is a huge sigh of relief for me.

Also, I apologize if this exact question has been asked before, this is a huge thread and I'm barely 1/3 of the way through it. It's tons of help though!

It is way more about making things on your own but as a programmer it is pretty good to have a degree, since a lot of what you do isn't something that immediately demos well.

It sounds like you're completely on the right path and really at this point you need to finish out the associates and then figure out what you want to do for a bachelor's degree, while continuing to make games on your own.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

desudrive posted:

I've been working on a CS degree but I just don't understand the math

The math is pretty drat important. I would ask yourself, are you generally bad at math (this would be a warning sign that programming is not the route for you) or just struggling with the particular material, which may simply be a warning sign that you have terrible professors and TAs. I once took a discrete mathematics class where the professor was so awful that a 10% on the final exam set the curve.

desudrive posted:

Well, a degree is certainly not necessary, but you've better have a hell of a lot of initiative and a fair amount of luck without one. The bigger red flag is that you don't seem to know exactly what it is you want to do. People generally don't break into the industry without being very good at something.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Hello Games' Sean Murray on Loving Crunch.

I don't think I'll ever understand people who wear crunch as a badge of honour.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I can sort of understand his feelings on crunch if you're talking about your own project. Or you're working on your pet bits and bobs to make them work before deadline because guys it'll be awesome, trust me. But those cases are about .000001% of crunch and are by choice. When the first things that pops to mind for most people when you mention crunch are old EA, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, etc, and you look at it from that light, then yeah, he's loving nuts.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Still was an idiot for mentioning more crunch time would make a game better. Crunch time is basically when poo poo went haywire. Nobody likes staying up til 4am trying to figure out why the gently caress the game is still acting like poo poo. Sure it may be social, but after personal experience with it?

gently caress.That.poo poo.

It can be all hey it's a blast to hang out, but it all comes down to you are staying far more than you should for a job, and it's not for just one night. Perhaps my perception is askewed, but nobody enjoys sleeping on their desk, or in their car because they know driving home would be stupid after doing crunch hours at 4am in the morning.

It is a living hell. There is a difference between loving your job, and making it feel like a slave labor.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 30, 2012

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

He can't possibly be saying that LA Noire needed more crunch seriously, can he? No loving reasonable person could say that and not be a huge poo poo-Hitler of a human being, right?

Chasiubao posted:

I don't think I'll ever understand people who wear crunch as a badge of honour.

The response to both of these is likely to be among some circles "Well maybe you just aren't passionate enough about Games?" and it's important we all call people on that response as bullshit.

I can't say anything on crunch other than I've not had to experience it yet in my working life. Already had two industry friends basically up and tell me that you haven't worked Games Industry for real yet or made real games until you do mandatory crunch, this saddens me that crunch is more seen as a necessary trial by fire and not exploitation.* :(

*Or on the smaller end of the scale, just staying behind the office for an hour or two every now and then just to get something finished. Total respect for the voluntary crunch.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 30, 2012

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm passionate about sex, but I sure as hell don't want to be doing that 100 hours a week either.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I've stayed late to work extra time on something that I know will be cool and I want to get it in the game but there just isn't the time for my True Vision(tm) in the schedule.

I've stayed late to work on things that were scheduled for an X week timetable which then due to circumstances beyond my control became an X - Y week timetable with the same deliverables.

I don't really like doing either of those things, but the latter one is a sign of horrible management and the former is "passion." Willingly sacrificing your life outside of the office (which is the reason you work in the first place unless you are A Sad Person) so that someone else can make more money? Spending late nights fixing mistakes you made while working late nights? Passion isn't the word I'm thinking of.

But hey, at least I know someone else I don't want to work for now!

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

mutata posted:

I'm passionate about sex, but I sure as hell don't want to be doing that 100 hours a week either.

Quitter. :colbert:

Seriously, though, I've pulled the 100-hour weeks and anyone who sees it as anything but the last resort of catastrophic circumstances has a screw loose somewhere. There's a huge difference between "Willing to do it in an emergency to make sure the game ships" and "planning on doing it as a standard business practice." The latter is sheer lunacy.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

desudrive posted:

Get your CS degree if you are that close. It'll give you more options and you won't have to rely solely on being a super bad rear end to get a game industry job. Plus when you realize you hate making games for a living you can always go do something else that pays more.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

GetWellGamers posted:

Quitter. :colbert:

Seriously, though, I've pulled the 100-hour weeks and anyone who sees it as anything but the last resort of catastrophic circumstances has a screw loose somewhere. There's a huge difference between "Willing to do it in an emergency to make sure the game ships" and "planning on doing it as a standard business practice." The latter is sheer lunacy.

Yeah I'm willing to put in extra hours if I have to or if I think somethings really working it just needs a little love and tenderness, but planning on it is a total loving failure on the scheduler.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
I'm free.

Just left working for Jagex. Now working for a corporate net business instead.

Good and bad points for both. But if you want some inside intel for Jagex Ltd, I can give anyone a heads up. May help with job getting (They recruit all the time)

Just wasn't for me any more. Much rather do hobby games building now.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah I'm willing to put in extra hours if I have to or if I think somethings really working it just needs a little love and tenderness, but planning on it is a total loving failure on the scheduler.

There's also a huge loving difference between staying late here and there on your own initiative and being forced to work an additional 20-30 hours a week on top of that for weeks or months. I would say it's the difference between voluntarily hanging out at a coworker's house for a few hours versus being chained in his basement for six months. "What's the matter bro, I thought you CARED about our friendship?!? Don't you want to see it SUCCEED?"

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
my thoughts on crunch

The Good
I had a situation where i was about ready to head home, it was about 10pm with maybe 30min left in the (11hr) day and was the only animator left in the building. We were on longer hours, but for most people it was just overtime, not crunch. As I was about to close down our newest designer comes to me. He'd been around the block a few times and was drat talented but had been inundated with a metric gently caress-ton of bugs and tasks to be completed. He had a couple he was really having issues with and asked if I could stick around for a few and help iron out the issues since he thought it mig
ht have something to do with the animation assets. I took a quick look and felt it was something we could fix quickly.

3 hours (and a wife who had passed out next to my desk) and several clumps of hair later I had to apologize and take her home and get some sleep. (fixed it in 15min the next day)

Why was this good? It was an awful annoying and mind-numbing experience, but I didn't do it because I had to, I did it because I had a buddy who needed help and looked like he was about to keel over. I also found out later, when I needed a job, that he sent me stuff to everyone he knew. Helping out pays off.

The Bad
Any kind of mandatory longer hours where by the end of the day there wasn't anything I could start and leave but had finished my work for the day and essentially wasted time.

Going back to our discussions about fiscal stability and solvency in games. I'm also curious how much money is wasted on overtime pay in those situations where, had there been better scheduling, no overtime would have needed to be paid.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

treeboy posted:

Going back to our discussions about fiscal stability and solvency in games. I'm also curious how much money is wasted on overtime pay in those situations where, had there been better scheduling, no overtime would have needed to be paid.
"Paid overtime."

That's easily avoided, they just don't pay for overtime.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

StoicFnord posted:

I'm free.

Just left working for Jagex. Now working for a corporate net business instead.

Good and bad points for both. But if you want some inside intel for Jagex Ltd, I can give anyone a heads up. May help with job getting (They recruit all the time)

Just wasn't for me any more. Much rather do hobby games building now.

Hearing a lot of that lately. Three friends at Jagex all left in the last two months.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
I've been working remote for the past 3~ years for S2Games, and last week I finally become eligible for my visa to work in the US. So I packed my car and moved to the from Canada and all the fun stuff that comes with that. Yay! :toot:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Shalinor posted:

"Paid overtime."

I almost edited this in, still I know a lot of places that do pay overtime (especially for temps and mid/associate levels) and it's always been a curiosity of mine

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Shalinor posted:

"Paid overtime."

There are studios that actually pay OT?
All the paces I know of would laugh you out of the building for even suggesting it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Maide posted:

I've been working remote for the past 3~ years for S2Games, and last week I finally become eligible for my visa to work in the US. So I packed my car and moved to the from Canada and all the fun stuff that comes with that. Yay! :toot:
He came for the job, but stayed for the fantastically below average healthcare!

(seriously, congrats)

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Shalinor posted:

(seriously, congrats)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought :siren:Healthcare:siren:

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Juc66 posted:

There are studios that actually pay OT?
All the paces I know of would laugh you out of the building for even suggesting it.
Every studio in California has to pay it for certain staff, as far as I remember.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Maide posted:

Is it easier to get an US work visa as a Canadian, than someone from let's say the EU, or is it the same process?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

FreakyZoid posted:

Every studio in California has to pay it for certain staff, as far as I remember.

Yeah, if you're not "salaried", if you work more than eight hours a day or forty hours in a week, whichever comes first, overtime pay is the law in California. Every place I've ever worked has had overtime pay, if they don't feel like paying it, their only recourse is to make you leave. (Or if you're wal-mart, force your employees to clock out and then keep working anyways for an hour or two.)

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Maide posted:

Moving down to Kalamazoo? Say hi to Shawn Tooley for me, tell him Jason says to return my drat email.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

if they don't feel like paying it, their only recourse is to make you leave.
Or promote you. In some cases it'd probably work out cheaper than paying all the overtime.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

GetWellGamers posted:

Yeah, if you're not "salaried", if you work more than eight hours a day or forty hours in a week, whichever comes first, overtime pay is the law in California. Every place I've ever worked has had overtime pay, if they don't feel like paying it, their only recourse is to make you leave. (Or if you're wal-mart, force your employees to clock out and then keep working anyways for an hour or two.)

with my current studio if I don't get OT approved by a supervisor I pretty much have to leave when my 40 is done for the week. This usually means I'm home around 5:30 on Friday, sometimes earlier. That said it's not particularly difficult to get OT approved.

:v:: "Hey I need to stick around for a couple hours and finish this."
:cop:: "Go for it!"

maybe i've just been lucky? The benefits of being associate/mid-level i guess

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

treeboy posted:

with my current studio if I don't get OT approved by a supervisor I pretty much have to leave when my 40 is done for the week. This usually means I'm home around 5:30 on Friday, sometimes earlier. That said it's not particularly difficult to get OT approved.

:v:: "Hey I need to stick around for a couple hours and finish this."
:cop:: "Go for it!"

maybe i've just been lucky? The benefits of being associate/mid-level i guess

That sounds like how my boss explained how it is at the place I'm about to start at (Wednesday :neckbeard:). He said that overtime needs to be approved beforehand by a supervisor, and that crunch is a necessary evil that they try to prevent with good scheduling and planning.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

VV is pretty opposed to crunch which is really nice. If something needs to get done they figure out who *has* to stay and send everyone else home. Apparently there was some absolutely horrific crunch a few years back and everyone said "gently caress that never again" and supposedly it's been very minimal for 4-5 years. Some overtime sure, but no 100 hrs work weeks

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Shalinor posted:

(seriously, congrats)

I get full health/eye/dental with the job, so, it's not *that* big of a deal. There is a small period where my old healthcare doesn't overlap in roughly 10 days for 15 days, so I need to try not to get myself killed / sick / injured in that period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Sion posted:

See, we're doing the whole 'small team, huge project' thing and need people that are strong in a bunch of different areas. Like.... if we had the time to turn someone from an intern into a veteran unreal programmer we'd probably go for it but everyone's spinning about a hundred plates at once at the moment.

I think we're pretty much always in that state, too, but somehow we've managed to train one or two guys up on the side. It is kind of insane how productive an experienced Unreal guy can be compared to someone who doesn't know the engine. I don't mean they are better programmers, just that Unreal has lots of... quirks.