Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

rock2much posted:

I'm pretty sure someone earlier in the thread confirmed that the credit only works on downloadable content and not physical devices. If I'm wrong please let us know so I can do the same.
It's also apparently not a very good case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

rock2much posted:

I'm pretty sure someone earlier in the thread confirmed that the credit only works on downloadable content and not physical devices. If I'm wrong please let us know so I can do the same.

That and the official case is pretty terrible. It will register presses through the cover if the screen is on and the button covers are sloppy. It's neat that it has "nexus" embossed on the back but that's really about it.

Edit: And there's no way to prop it up for desk viewing.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 30, 2012

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I got this one and it does the trick:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LuvTab-Google-Multifunctional-Executive-Magnetic/dp/B008FXSCA4/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I've been looking at some very cheap tablet options and I'm wondering if those cheap china tablets are worth a drat, specifically this one:

http://www.pandawill.com/teclast-p85-dual-core-tablet-pc-hd-screen-8-inch-android-40-1g-ram-16gb-hdmi-camera-p65201.html

The price difference to the N7 is actually 85 USD in my country and I wonder if this would be decent enough, if all I'm looking for is web browsing, video calls and playing words with friends.
You could get a used Kindle Fire for cheap and put a Jelly Bean ROM on it. They're actually quite nice tablets at that point.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

That and the official case is pretty terrible. It will register presses through the cover if the screen is on and the button covers are sloppy. It's neat that it has "nexus" embossed on the back but that's really about it.

Edit: And there's no way to prop it up for desk viewing.

I think I'm going to go with this then: http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Automatically-Completely-Intergrated-Manufacturer/dp/B008IEGSGU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I've been looking at some very cheap tablet options and I'm wondering if those cheap china tablets are worth a drat, specifically this one:

http://www.pandawill.com/teclast-p85-dual-core-tablet-pc-hd-screen-8-inch-android-40-1g-ram-16gb-hdmi-camera-p65201.html

The price difference to the N7 is actually 85 USD in my country and I wonder if this would be decent enough, if all I'm looking for is web browsing, video calls and playing words with friends.

No, the Ainol Elf II is the lovely Chinese tablet of choice.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Is there a tablet-optimized Twitter app for Android? The official twitter app looks...sparse on my Nexus7.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

mr. unhsib posted:

Is there a tablet-optimized Twitter app for Android? The official twitter app looks...sparse on my Nexus7.

I use Plume with the font upped a bit. Fills in quite nicely. I'm hoping the dev puts in a columns view for the 7" screen size. He's usually very open to suggestions.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Shadowgate posted:

I was having some very minor screen separation issues and I did this trick using a clamp: http://therealtonystark.blogspot.ca/2012/07/google-nexus-screen-separation-fix.html

It's been a few days now and it's still holding, so give that a shot if you don't feel like dealing with a return.

I tried the screw trick and it didn't work, but this really does seem to work.

I didn't use a clamp, all I did was roll up a paper towel into a soft tube, lay that on the left side of the tablet, and then stacked a few heavy (but not too heavy) books on it and let it sit overnight. 3 and a half days later and it's still perfectly flush.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll shelve the china tablet idea for now. The N7 would really be quite nice, if it was actually available in my country (and had a version with a 9-10" screen).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Picked up my N7 from Tesco this afternoon. There's plenty of 'give' in the top-left-hand side of the screen :waycool:

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Tried a clamp-like solution for screen lift on N7 (just applied pressure on that area of the screen and left a couple of books on top of it for a day or so). Seems to have fixed the issue for me.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just got confirmation that I can do the replacement thing from Google, but I'd rather just do the clamp thing if it works. Any idea how long I can wait before doing the exchange? I'd hate to be stuck with it if the clamp doesn't work.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Freezer posted:

Tried a clamp-like solution for screen lift on N7 (just applied pressure on that area of the screen and left a couple of books on top of it for a day or so). Seems to have fixed the issue for me.

It's going to be really, really funny if the confirmed solution for the screen lift problem turns out to be "push it down for a while."

Problem: Screen is poppin up!
Solution: Push it down.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
In my experience all that's held the glass and digitizer to a tablet is the adhesive tape between it and the inner bezel/frame. I think these 'fixes' aren't really solving the problem. Unless the problem really is that the glass never made contact with the adhesive out of the factory, it's probably going to pop right out again.

Perhaps if you take a hair dryer, or a heat gun if you have one, to the problem area to sort of 'activate' the adhesive and then clamp down it might solve this longer.

This issue should be embarrassing for the manufacturer. The number of people reporting this is crazy.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

yamdankee posted:

In my experience all that's held the glass and digitizer to a tablet is the adhesive tape between it and the inner bezel/frame. I think these 'fixes' aren't really solving the problem. Unless the problem really is that the glass never made contact with the adhesive out of the factory, it's probably going to pop right out again.

Perhaps if you take a hair dryer, or a heat gun if you have one, to the problem area to sort of 'activate' the adhesive and then clamp down it might solve this longer.

This issue should be embarrassing for the manufacturer. The number of people reporting this is crazy.

What percentage of people that bought the N7 are reporting the problem?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

It's going to be really, really funny if the confirmed solution for the screen lift problem turns out to be "push it down for a while."

Problem: Screen is poppin up!
Solution: Push it down.

The confirmed solution is "return it to where you purchased and get another." There's no excuse for keeping something broken out of the box, even if it's an easy fix.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it OK if I remove that sticker from the bottom by the speaker on my N7? I'd much rather take it off on purpose and have it somewhere than have it roll off and not notice it.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

rock2much posted:

Is it OK if I remove that sticker from the bottom by the speaker on my N7? I'd much rather take it off on purpose and have it somewhere than have it roll off and not notice it.

Take it off but keep it somewhere, like in the official box. ASUS has been known before to reject warranty claims missing the sticker, or so I've read.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

IT Guy posted:

Take it off but keep it somewhere, like in the official box. ASUS has been known before to reject warranty claims missing the sticker, or so I've read.

Yeah I heard this too so I just stuck the sticker on the inside of my box. No idea if it's true or not but I typically keep boxes for these products anyhow so it wasn't a big deal to store it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

The confirmed solution is "return it to where you purchased and get another." There's no excuse for keeping something broken out of the box, even if it's an easy fix.

This is true, but it is also important to know the difference between something "being broken" and something "having an imperfection so small that it takes multiple attempts to even realize it exists, and is also 100% solvable by putting a book on it while you sleep."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

This is true, but it is also important to know the difference between something "being broken" and something "having an imperfection so small that it takes multiple attempts to even realize it exists, and is also 100% solvable by putting a book on it while you sleep."
Those are both the same thing, though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I decided just to do the replacement. I agree that it seems like a minor issue, but right now I can get a brand new replacement shipped to me without sending the current unit in. If the clamp trick only works for a month or so, I'd be stuck dealing with Asus warranty support. It's free and easy to try a replacement so it's worth doing while in the 15 day period it's available if you'e at all worried about it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

There should be no excuse for a multiple hundred dollar device requiring you to put a book on it while you sleep to fix its problem that could potentially get bigger and worse and then be outside your warranty period. Also aren't you guys worried about dust and poo poo getting under?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Also aren't you guys worried about dust and poo poo getting under?

Screen is bonded to the glass so that really can't happen.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Screen is bonded to the glass so that really can't happen.
Well that's good at least. Nevermind.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

There should be no excuse for a multiple hundred dollar device requiring you to put a book on it while you sleep to fix its problem that could potentially get bigger and worse and then be outside your warranty period. Also aren't you guys worried about dust and poo poo getting under?

Why would a tiny bit of dust matter? It would just sit there under the back cover and do nothing. I seriously doubt dust could even get in anyway, the screen is still tight against the edge of the tablet.

Having said that, it's a dumb flaw. And as I've mentioned before I'm definitely taking mine back once stock settles in a month or two.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tunga posted:

Why would a tiny bit of dust matter? It would just sit there under the back cover and do nothing. I seriously doubt dust could even get in anyway, the screen is still tight against the edge of the tablet.

He was under the impression that it could get between the glass and screen, but that's not the case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, in an effort to make devices thinner, a lot of manufacturers have been bonding the screen to the glass/digitizer. It makes it near impossible for any dust to get under the screen as well.

There are downsides though. Shatter the glass and you have to replace the display with it. Also, I have a pretty strong suspicion (based on my Razr experiences) that the current generation of hardened glasses can flex FAR further without cracking than the displays they are bonded to. It's getting pretty common to see broken displays in devices without the glass/digitizer breaking.

Hopefully Samsung's upcoming line of flexible displays will solve that problem.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm pretty sure that I would return my car if the wheels fell off overnight unless I put bricks on the roof.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tedious_Bastard posted:

I'm pretty sure that I would return my car if the wheels fell off overnight unless I put bricks on the roof.

That is possibly the worst analogy I've read in months, and I happen to agree repairing your own N7 is nigh ridiculous.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Tedious_Bastard posted:

You've got to be kidding me.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tedious_Bastard posted:

:iiaca:

Well I'm glad the TF700 doesn't have any "Asus" problems yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Speaking of which there was a firmware pushed for the Infinity last night and one of the changelog notes said a new touch firmware was included. So far it's been better, the London Olympics game was almost unplayable before.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the name of that ginormous asus tablet they got going on?

I saw that one side by side with the google nexus 7 and some other 7" tablet and I just about had an orgasm, I want that thing so hard.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the name of that ginormous asus tablet they got going on?

I saw that one side by side with the google nexus 7 and some other 7" tablet and I just about had an orgasm, I want that thing so hard.

The Asus Transformer AIO? The 18-inch monstrosity?

Rumbaar
Nov 21, 2011
REJECTED FROM:
-GOONWAFFE? ☑
-GROON? ☑

IGNORE POSTS? ☑

rock2much posted:

Yeah my OCD hates that sticker. It's not put on well and doesn't sit correct over the USB port. So has started to gather dirt.

I've had no major issues with my Nexus 7, brought mine from a retail outlet. So that was good.

Has anyone else experienced any screen flickering? I've only noticed it once, where the back light seemed to flicker when viewing a web page.

The battery life is a great surprise, full day of decent use and get 36+ hours out of it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

IT Guy posted:

I can't speak for any of the subsequent releases, but the TF-101 displays the serial number in Settings-System-About Tablet-Status.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Rumbaar posted:

Has anyone else experienced any screen flickering? I've only noticed it once, where the back light seemed to flicker when viewing a web page.

Is it possible that the screen auto-brightness is weird on you?

I noticed a bit of flicker on mine, so I just set the brightness manually, and I didn't notice it again.

Of course, I also left it sitting in Detroit Airport, so any brightnes inconsistancy is much less noticable.

Is there anything I should do about my lost nexus other than change my google passwords? I called three times, first time they said nothing to do for you, tough titties. Second time they said "righto, no problem, I'll just use the stolen-in-shipping disable button I have here, you'll get an e-mail, you say "I confirm" and it will be dead". I got that e-mail, said "I confirm". Then I got disconnected during the transfer to second level support, and the third guy I talked to said "nothing to do for it, tough titties".

So, if you left your tablet in Detroit, what would you do?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kynetx posted:

I can't speak for any of the subsequent releases, but the TF-101 displays the serial number in Settings-System-About Tablet-Status.
Some people are finding on the prime at least that the sticker serial number doesn't match the one you can see in the settings menu, and only one or the other works for things like registration or RMAs. I'd definitely suggest saving that sticker.

Slo-Tek posted:

So, if you left your tablet in Detroit, what would you do?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489105

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

With regards to the N7 sticker, I noticed a few things.

The sticker on the tablet itself only has one serial number listed. That number does not match what shows up in the "Tablet Status" screen.

However, the sticker inside the manual/warranty card, and the sticker on the box, each have two different numbers. One of those numbers is also what is printed on the sticker on the tablet.

The other number, which is only on the warranty card and on the side of the box, does match what shows up on the info screen.

In other words save your box or warranty card, because you might need both numbers for an RMA if ASUS wants to be typical ASUS about it.