Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lord Gaga posted:

I thought a turbo sti brz was planned?

Not publicly: http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/F43349775373CB07CA257A3D002987B6
But maybe in secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is there a recommended place to buy OEM parts and/or accessories?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

draccio posted:

Anyone have an '11 or '12 that does not like their STI wing?

Have you asked in the regional forums trunk swap threads on nasioc? I posted on there and got 3 offers and met up and did the swap within a week. Mine is an 06 though. You might have a harder time with the newer ones.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Is there a recommended place to buy OEM parts and/or accessories?

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/ is west coast
http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/ is east coast
http://www.fredbeansparts.com/ is pretty big on the message boards

I've used both of the first two and they were fine. Ever since our local dealer pulled the club discount I mostly order from subarupartsforyou.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/ is west coast
http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/ is east coast
http://www.fredbeansparts.com/ is pretty big on the message boards

I've used both of the first two and they were fine. Ever since our local dealer pulled the club discount I mostly order from subarupartsforyou.

Hmm, the Fred Beans dealerships are about an hour from me. I'll check these out, thanks.

draccio
May 11, 2005
I am the BullFrog

Kageneko posted:

Have you asked in the regional forums trunk swap threads on nasioc? I posted on there and got 3 offers and met up and did the swap within a week. Mine is an 06 though. You might have a harder time with the newer ones.

I do have an account with NASIOC and did post on a trunk swap thread. Like you said, it may be harder to find newer ones. But will keep looking, thanks!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
God damnit, someone merged into my wife on the way to work this morning.

I knew it was going to get hit after doing the clutch... :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That sucks. :(

At least it looks like something that can get repaired.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Should just be two new doors and a little bit of work on the rocker panel, I'm guessing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Took the Forester engine apart this weekend. All the bearings were bad but here are the heavy hitters:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

God damnit, someone merged into my wife on the way to work this morning.

Looks like someone drove into her car as well!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I think that is just a rocker panel cover, so it's probably a new cover and two new doors.

$1500?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Saga posted:

Looks like someone drove into her car as well!

:heh:

Also...shouldn't their insurance be covering the accident so it almost doesn't really matter that it happened?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Totally TWISTED posted:

:heh:

Also...shouldn't their insurance be covering the accident so it almost doesn't really matter that it happened?

It's all taken care of and it's only going to need two new doors and the side skirt, it just sucks to see my car all lumpy :(

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Is there a rear subframe bushing replacement?

My RS subframe likes to move around and I'd like to replace those bushings rather than just do the subframe lockdown bolts.

If no one makes anything, I'm going to either have to fab it myself on a lathe, or use OEM replacements and fill them with 3m window sealer like all the mad tyte drift kids?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
How would you fill them? They have no holes to fill.

I imagine solid aluminum pieces could be made cheap enough.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Will legacy Gt seats fit into an 02 wrx? Local guy here has a leather set. If not in the car, they would make good race cockpit seats. (Forza 4)

Edit: what about the brakes too?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 1, 2012

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Remember that ghostly knocking sound my 06 N/A was making when driving slowly on or off bumpy roads? Well, it's gone... and I'm kinda freaked out. Either this piece has somehow attached/welded itself to whichever part it was knocking on or my possessed scuba's hex has been lifted.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Slow is Fast posted:

Is there a rear subframe bushing replacement?

My RS subframe likes to move around and I'd like to replace those bushings rather than just do the subframe lockdown bolts.

If no one makes anything, I'm going to either have to fab it myself on a lathe, or use OEM replacements and fill them with 3m window sealer like all the mad tyte drift kids?

Pretty sure the only way is to have them made. We did it for the time attack car. I'm fine with my lock bolts though.

haggs
Mar 27, 2001
slappy
Found a 2001 2.5 rs with a uninstalled 22B body kit on craigslist today. $3750 seems like a good price?

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/cto/3175702258.html

I'd be all over this if I didn't just buy a 06 forester xt.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

haggs posted:

Found a 2001 2.5 rs with a uninstalled 22B body kit on craigslist today. $3750 seems like a good price?

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/cto/3175702258.html

I'd be all over this if I didn't just buy a 06 forester xt.

What is the catch? That seems way too cheap.

Or have 2.5RS prices dropped that much already? Maybe I'm old :(

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 2, 2012

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Having car troubles. Thought I'd harass you guys to see if you can help me figure this out.

Vehicle: 1993 Subaru Legacy L wagon (AWD, non-turbo), approximately 170k miles.

Issue: When making very sharp, low speed turns (moving in or out of a parking space for example), a thing happens. It typically results in a sensation almost like the e-brake being pulled; just significant resistance. Other times, it manifests as a noticeable vibration.

So far, I've tried popping in the FWD fuse to see if that would change anything. It seems to lessen the severity somewhat, but has not stopped it. The transmission fluid was replaced around... 4-6 months back I think (this only began a month or two ago though).

The only thing that seems to fit my issues is the "Duty C solenoid" failing? But I've no idea how to begin checking/testing to see if that might be the problem. I'd love to get this all sorted out before our Colorado winter kicks in, so *ANY* tips or direction would be hugely appreciated. Thanks! :)

Vectorwulf fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 2, 2012

Rocketmoose
Feb 5, 2010
Just grabbed up a 2013 wrx hatch in plasma blue pearl(pictures when it comes in next week I'm sure). Ordering a new shift knob and tailights from amazon and I have another $125 in amazon trade in money? what else should I buy!? This internet money is burning a hole in my pocket.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Rocketmoose posted:

tailights from amazon

What.

Rocketmoose
Feb 5, 2010

Ohh sorry, I got red smoked covers, I can't stand the stock clear.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Hey guys,
The back of my forester recently had a meeting with a painter ladder while they were unloading their truck, and this happened.

Everywhere I can find this online is saying the part is discontinued. Anyone have any idea where I can find the rear dust deflector for a 1st gen (1999) Forester?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Four Banger posted:

Hey guys,
The back of my forester recently had a meeting with a painter ladder while they were unloading their truck, and this happened.

Everywhere I can find this online is saying the part is discontinued. Anyone have any idea where I can find the rear dust deflector for a 1st gen (1999) Forester?

Got to car-part.com

Put in your vehicle and select Rear Spoiler. Then call the closet junkard listed. Looks like it's about 60 bucks.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

daslog posted:

Got to car-part.com

Put in your vehicle and select Rear Spoiler. Then call the closet junkard listed. Looks like it's about 60 bucks.

.... I love you.

But i'm not sure where you're seeing 60 bucks, I'm only seeing one with a price, and it's $125, but I am in Canada.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Four Banger posted:

.... I love you.

But i'm not sure where you're seeing 60 bucks, I'm only seeing one with a price, and it's $125, but I am in Canada.

I searched in New England and saw 60 bucks. You're welcome!

NinjaPablo
Nov 20, 2003

Ewww it's all sticky...
Grimey Drawer

Vectorwulf posted:

The only thing that seems to fit my issues is the "Duty C solenoid" failing? But I've no idea how to begin checking/testing to see if that might be the problem. I'd love to get this all sorted out before our Colorado winter kicks in, so *ANY* tips or direction would be hugely appreciated. Thanks! :)

If your Power light blinks a lot when you start the car, it has a stored transmission related code. You can get the TCU blink codes by following this guide. http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/trans.html

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
I actually tried that a couple of times, and it just ended up blinking endlessly (over 100 times each time I tried, no pause or anything). :( The light only blinks when I have the FWD fuse in, nothing in standard AWD mode.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Might be looking to get a Saabaru. I'm looking at one around 100k miles, should I be worried about head gaskets? Anything I should look for when checking out the car besides that?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

If they don't have proof they've been done, then try and budget it into the price of the car. I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker at all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

If they don't have proof they've been done, then try and budget it into the price of the car. I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker at all.

Just noticed the timing belt needs done at 105k also. That's a ton of service right from the get go.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

DreamOn13 posted:

Just noticed the timing belt needs done at 105k also. That's a ton of service right from the get go.

Gotta take it off to get to the head gaskets, so it's not that big a deal

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Seems like there's a handful of 06-07 WRXes having headgasket failures around my neck of the woods. Would those get the same nice MLS head gasket part number as the 04-07 STI, or something else?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Faerunner posted:

Gotta take it off to get to the head gaskets, so it's not that big a deal

It is when you don't have a garage to do the work in the first place. :(

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

DreamOn13 posted:

It is when you don't have a garage to do the work in the first place. :(

He just means it's not a lot of extra labor to replace headgaskets if you're already replacing the timing belt since it gets you most of the way there already.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slow is Fast posted:

Also, if it is a turbo (engine not mentioned) HGs are basically a non issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Are the head gaskets even a concern for the Saabaru?

I'm pretty sure you only have to worry about the timing belt.

For my 06 WRX I'm at 90.5K miles, at what point do I need to worry about age and not miles for that drat timing belt?