Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

compressioncut posted:

Did you pass?

Nope. Messed up session #4. I think I'm going to try and get a second attempt. I have to upgrade from PPL to CPL to be eligible, but I did the math and it's easily doable cost wise. My CPL will cost between $15-20k, but that means I'd be able to write off all my flying to date as tuition (you can only write off PPL if you get the CPL) and wind up with a tax refund of, give or take, $15k.

They told us the pass rate second time around is 95% and I had a no-bullshit conversation with my interviewing officer who told me I have an otherwise very competitive application. I figure I get that CPL and just keep throwing applications in every year until I get another shot. Hell, even if I don't get another shot, worst case I wind up with a free-ish CPL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
Dudes, I mildly considered getting back in. Probably as an Int officer, possibly reserve, maybe in the Navy. Basically, as far removed from the lifestyle of 1 PPCLI as I could get.

Convince me not to.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Don't join the navy, bro.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Morristron posted:

Dudes, I mildly considered getting back in. Probably as an Int officer, possibly reserve, maybe in the Navy. Basically, as far removed from the lifestyle of 1 PPCLI as I could get.

Convince me not to.

Have you been on a boat? It's like some kind of horrible, cramped, industrial dystopian labyrinth of lost dreams and ducts and poo poo.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
---

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 1, 2013

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

tuyop posted:

Have you been on a boat? It's like some kind of horrible, cramped, industrial dystopian labyrinth of lost dreams and ducts and poo poo.

This is the best description of ship life I have ever heard. There are a few really cool moments like seeing dolphins chase he ship and do backflips and stuff and the ports are full of drunken debauchery if that is your thing but for the most part you just hate your life while on ship.

I would call it a factory of sadness myself.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Can't be too horrible for nobles. Probably stand watch inside. Maybe have your own room or minimal roommates.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Unless they build you a whole separate wing where you don't have to brush past your identical bearded companions on the misery cruise like insectile parodies of classic science fiction, it doesn't matter where you bunk, also ducts everywhere.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
But they have the nicest bases, and saw what you want about ducted insectile hell, it's definately indoors. And even if it isn't indoors, indoors is right there.

Also, like otter said, can't be too bad for nobles.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

A Navy Int officer would spend basically no time on a ship anyways. A reg force Int officer is only attached to a ship in certain cases.

I know a guy who used to be a Reservist Int Officer and he just worked in Halifax for 4 years and was never even close to being posted to a ship. I don't think he even set foot on a ship during that time, actually.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Morristron posted:

Convince me not to.

You didn't set yourself on fire two winters ago during an ex did you?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Anyone hear about the shooting in Shilo?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=4333

I wonder what that was all about.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Anyone hear about the shooting in Shilo?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=4333

I wonder what that was all about.

Anyone know their unit(s)?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
A reserve unit called 38 Brigade Artillery.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

E.Nigma posted:

A reserve unit called 38 Brigade Artillery.

Do you know if it was at WATC or 1RCHA?

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Elgar posted:

You didn't set yourself on fire two winters ago during an ex did you?

... no, why? Who set themselves on fire?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

Do you know if it was at WATC or 1RCHA?
1RCHA is in Shilo so probably them.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/soldier-charged-with-attempted-murder-for-shilo-shooting-1.897082

quote:

Military investigators have laid charges in a shooting at CFB Shilo.

Canadian Forces officials said a member of the military was shot and treated for non-life-threatening injuries Sunday morning.

Officials announced Monday that military investigators had laid charges.

Master Cpl. Clarence Stillman is charged with attempted murder, said officials. He also faces other charges, including careless use of a firearm and possession of a weapon.

Officials said the gun used was not a military-issued weapon.

Read more: http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/soldier-charged-with-attempted-murder-for-shilo-shooting-1.897082#ixzz22ACshKHE

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

quote:

Officials said the gun used was not a military-issued weapon.

Who brings a gun to a base, with guns. With stray ammo from ranges why would you need a gun when you have one issued to you.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's the part I don't get. When I first heard the story I assumed it happened somewhere where they'd have their issued weapons. Maybe it happened outside the gate? I think you can have a personal weapon if you live on base, but if you're in barracks you'd have to turn it in.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Not necessarily. WATC does sq and dp1 for reservists and some reg force and is staffed by mainly arty reservists

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009

compressioncut posted:

Did you pass?

I didn't pass either, for a piss-poor goon showing.
Apparently I got the highest score they've ever seen on the aerospace control officer exam, though they hired a whopping one for fy 12-13.

Desi posted:

Hey man, shoot me a message when you get a chance. If you remember my first name, its just that @gmail.com.

I'll do what I can, your name isn't something I've seen on paper. Like ever.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Attire Irony posted:

I'll do what I can, your name isn't something I've seen on paper. Like ever.

Seems you managed to find me. Also, that's not the first time I've heard that, hence my reluctance to post it online.

Attire Irony posted:

I didn't pass either, for a piss-poor goon showing.

0/2! 2013 will be the year of the Goon in the Air Force!

Also, I'd like everyone here to know of your display of courage during that week. Ladies and Gentlemen, Attire Irony actually went and checked out Top Gun from the Aircrew Selection Centre. Many laughs were had when we packed into a room and watched it as a group, but the bravery that it took to walk in to that office and say "I'd like to check out Top Gun" is worthy of commendation!

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
Well anyone want to discuss the made for tv movie that aired recently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkGeMRqlPRU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Not if it's a Master Corporal. Unless the media hosed up ranks and didn't call him a MBdr.

Or he was a clerk attached to artillery that FINALLY got sick of all the jokes.

:(

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

Morristron posted:

... no, why? Who set themselves on fire?

Some other guy that quit from 1 PPCLI around a year ago.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

scaper exile posted:

Well anyone want to discuss the made for tv movie that aired recently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkGeMRqlPRU

Whoever that actor is, he's been in pretty much everything.

Is this the first movie or TV show about the forces not paid for by the government?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeaaaaaah, if you could just leave the blindfold on and count to 100, that'd be greaaaaaat. How accurate do these Lifetime movies tend to be to the original stories?

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Whoever that actor is, he's been in pretty much everything.

Is this the first movie or TV show about the forces not paid for by the government?

I might go out of my way to watch this movie just for that reason. I mean they will show Mr. Russel Williams as a monster obviously. I am really curious how they will portray us. On a side note from what I saw of the clip it looked like they did get their hands on real uniforms or at least had a decent costume budget.

irongiant
Sep 4, 2011
What kind of advice could you guys give me about the interview portion when you first make your application to the CF? I've been told to become very familiar with the career blurbs on the Forces website and regurgitate what I put on my application but is there anything else important that I am missing?

I'm trying to become a combat arms officer if that helps any.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

Be professional. Wear a suit, bring a resume and cover letter. Know your trades and what type of individual is best suited for them. Think about the advantages and disadvantages of the CF.

Do the interview work sheet if you haven't already: http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/34gbc/entrevueen.pdf

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Just don't be timid during your interview and you should be fine. I was hungover as gently caress and probably reeking of booze for my interview.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

irongiant posted:

I'm trying to become a combat arms officer

If you are anything less than outstanding I will cut you.

Verbally. On the internet.

irongiant
Sep 4, 2011
Thanks for the advice. I'm obviously going to try my best for this, just hope that it will be enough.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

irongiant posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm obviously going to try my best for this, just hope that it will be enough.

Which combat arms?

I mean, artillery and engineers don't really count. :colbert:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is there still a Pork chow mein IMP?
I always get shafted and end up with beans or potatoes.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

Which combat arms?

I mean, artillery and engineers don't really count. :colbert:

Says the dude who couldn't even make infantry officer.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
:iceburn:

I haven't seen a pork chow mein imp in the last 3 years, but maybe it's in the 12s. I had some guys in my pl tasting the new IMPs and said they were the best thing ever. I guess time will tell how well they transition from the lab to the field.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Simkin posted:

:iceburn:

I haven't seen a pork chow mein imp in the last 3 years, but maybe it's in the 12s. I had some guys in my pl tasting the new IMPs and said they were the best thing ever. I guess time will tell how well they transition from the lab to the field.

The pasta imps they have out are quite edible. I haven't tried any outside of the pasta ones, though.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

Says the dude who couldn't even make infantry officer.

I'm pretty sure I said the exact same thing after he made a dig on engineers earlier in the thread. Seriously, I respect engineers more than other infantry. Those guys have one of the hardest jobs in the combat arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

acumen posted:

Seriously, I respect engineers more than other infantry. Those guys have one of the hardest jobs in the combat arms.

Guess it depends where you get posted and what you do while you're there. As far as garrison duty goes most of the engineers I know have the lamest jobs ever (think environmental/conservation related stuff, plumbing/electrical on 60 year old infrastructure) and get to do cool things (ie: blow poo poo up) by exception. Deployments are a different bag of turnips obviously.

EDIT: Or maybe I just know really boring engineers?

quote:

stuff about IMPs
On the IMP note, when I did SERE my instructors accidentally grabbed a box of lunch instead of breakfast, so on the days we did eat there were twice as many chocolate bars floating around and none of those gross-rear end breakfast chili omelettes. Score!

swagger like us posted:

Anyone here ever go through the HUMINT/Source Handling selection etc etc

Only marginally related, but I knew a guy who applied for the position. I was on TD when he was supposed to be doing the selection thing so I'm not sure what happened, but when I got back he was still at our unit and would only answer evasively when asked about what happened. :iiam:

scaper exile posted:

I might go out of my way to watch this movie just for that reason. I mean they will show Mr. Russel Williams as a monster obviously. I am really curious how they will portray us. On a side note from what I saw of the clip it looked like they did get their hands on real uniforms or at least had a decent costume budget.

One day at the commissary on a US base someone approached me and (correctly) asked if I was Canadian. I thought he was some military aficionado/savant given the local area, but it turns out he just recognized the uniform from Officer and a Murderer. Oh well :v:

ub posted:

Don't join the navy, bro.

Always relevant.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 4, 2012