Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Jim Lee and Dan DiDio added, “As accomplished as Neil Gaiman is in other media—whether it be novels, film and even music—he still has an incredible passion and love for comics. It’s exciting to have him back. J.H. Williams will be the perfect complement to Neil’s writing. He has a history of creating art that pushes the boundaries of the medium.”

When I read this I imagine Didio Jim Lee and them speaking in unison.

We were just talking about how JH Williams is wasted on Batwoman in the Batman thread. That's great.

Edit: Will this be on the DC imprint?

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I am flipping the gently caress out. This is the most insanely awesome news I've heard in some time. Not only is it Gaiman, but they got JH Williams the motherfucking Third? My excitement is uncontainable. I feel like my brain's going to blow up and rainbows of joy are going to spill out.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Office Sheep posted:

When I read this I imagine Didio Jim Lee and them speaking in unison.

We were just talking about how JH Williams is wasted on Batwoman in the Batman thread. That's great.

Edit: Will this be on the DC imprint?

It was announced in the Vertigo panel, so I imagine on Vertigo.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Neil probably saw "After Watchman" and decided to write the prequel before DC did it for him.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Super excited for this, but I also hope it turns out better than Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chairman Capone posted:

Super excited for this, but I also hope it turns out better than Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader.

I expect so since Sandman is his baby.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Holy poo poo looks like this is coming for the 25th
How excited am I? mmmmmmPRETTY EXCITED.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I am flipping the gently caress out. This is the most insanely awesome news I've heard in some time. Not only is it Gaiman, but they got JH Williams the motherfucking Third? My excitement is uncontainable. I feel like my brain's going to blow up and rainbows of joy are going to spill out.

Welp, this post here just made me wanna dive right into Sandman before the new material arrives next year. I can only hold off for so long.

In other words, "I'll have what he's having".

Question is, do I just buy the trades or splurge on the oversized omnibus hardcovers?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

friendo55 posted:

Welp, this post here just made me wanna dive right into Sandman before the new material arrives next year. I can only hold off for so long.

In other words, "I'll have what he's having".

Question is, do I just buy the trades or splurge on the oversized omnibus hardcovers?

Sweet sweet absolutes. They are worth every penny. In fact I just doing a reread a couple of days ago before the news.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
One of my absolutes fellout of its binding. What should i do about that?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Sweet sweet absolutes. They are worth every penny. In fact I just doing a reread a couple of days ago before the news.

I walk into a Chapters here in Canada and every time those books are there just staring at me. They're beautiful! So tempting - but so expensive :(.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

friendo55 posted:

I walk into a Chapters here in Canada and every time those books are there just staring at me. They're beautiful! So tempting - but so expensive :(.

What city do you live in? I can tell you how to get them very cheap if you are in the nova scotia.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Office Sheep posted:

What city do you live in? I can tell you how to get them very cheap if you are in the nova scotia.

I'm in southern Ontario. How cheap is very cheap? Can they be shipped over here?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

friendo55 posted:

I'm in southern Ontario. How cheap is very cheap? Can they be shipped over here?
Here's some good new for you, on Amazon they're only $16.60 per volume, which is a pretty great deal, I would think.

Except the first volume, which is over $70 dollars!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Flameingblack posted:

Here's some good new for you, on Amazon they're only $16.60 per volume, which is a pretty great deal, I would think.

The $17 ones are paperbacks. The $70 ones are the absolutes.

I really wish I had the money to drop on getting Absolute Sandman.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Yea we were referring to the Absolute editions as opposed to the trade paperbacks.
If i'm not mistaken, Absolute Sandman Vol.1 contains the first three trades - let alone the massive size and better presentation, etc.

3 trades @ $16.60 each compared to $73 for the absolute isn't too bad given the quality. But 5 of them...? Going in blind for $350 isn't exactly easy.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

friendo55 posted:

Its more of a strategy. Every year a local comic shop here has a flash ridiculus steam style sale. It could pop up whenever though so its a long wait. I grabbed them all for 50 dollars each 2 or 3 years ago. I'd look into local comic stores to see if they do something similar.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Office Sheep posted:

Its more of a strategy. Every year a local comic shop here has a flash ridiculus steam style sale. It could pop up whenever though so its a long wait. I grabbed them all for 50 dollars each 2 or 3 years ago. I'd look into local comic stores to see if they do something similar.

And I just came back from my break visiting the local shop! I'm going back in Wednesday so I'll ask then. Not a bad idea at all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

friendo55 posted:

Yea we were referring to the Absolute editions as opposed to the trade paperbacks.
If i'm not mistaken, Absolute Sandman Vol.1 contains the first three trades - let alone the massive size and better presentation, etc.

3 trades @ $16.60 each compared to $73 for the absolute isn't too bad given the quality. But 5 of them...? Going in blind for $350 isn't exactly easy.

4 is the entire series. The fifth one is one shots and random stories

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobkatt013 posted:

4 is the entire series. The fifth one is one shots and random stories

Yeah, ignore volume 5. It does have both the prose and illustrated Dream Hunters and Endless Nights, but unless you really want the crossover with Sandman Mystery Theatre you should just pick up the two TPBs and save your money.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Jedit posted:

Yeah, ignore volume 5. you should just pick up the two TPBs and save your money.

Ok now I'm confused. Either get the 4 absolutes, or just get 2 trades? Which 2 trades are you referring to?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Get the 4 absolutes, and if you want, get the two trades of the additional stuff beyond the main series instead of buying the 5th absolute.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Get the 4 absolutes, and if you want, get the two trades of the additional stuff beyond the main series instead of buying the 5th absolute.

This. Absolute v1-4 cover the full 75-issue run plus Orpheus, which is all you need. From the stuff in v5, the pick of it is The Dream Hunters and Endless Nights, both of which are available as TPBs.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Endless nights was real bad though, after finishing The Wake, a few weeks later I got Endless Nights and was excited I got one last taste of Sandman, and it was such a huge letdown. That was about six years ago, and I've been waiting for this day since.

I'm hoping this will work out better, since it's one writer(Gaiman) and one artist.

And I really hope there is still crossover to the waking world and there's terrible 80s fashion and hair.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I wanted to move my American Vampire thread discussion and accidentally moved it to the indie comic thread. And the accidentally to the Valiant thread :doh: So I'll be moving it here instead.

Lord of Nightmares was a surprising change for AV. Before, Snyder had approached vampires in a clinical sense: they weren't mythical monsters with supernatural powers but an advanced species of human (homo abominum). "Dracula" here is presented as a demonic presence akin to Castlevania. The change is sudden, but it fits given how "Dracula" is the unnamed father of the Carpathian race.

I love Nguyen's art. The man draws vampires like demons which fits the theme better. The main series still maintains that scientific classification of vampires and Albuquerque draws them like feral beasts to accommodate that theme.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

Yeah, ignore volume 5. It does have both the prose and illustrated Dream Hunters and Endless Nights, but unless you really want the crossover with Sandman Mystery Theatre you should just pick up the two TPBs and save your money.

Out of curiosity, how was the Sandman Midnight Theatre? I'm considering picking up Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days mainly just to read it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Out of curiosity, how was the Sandman Midnight Theatre? I'm considering picking up Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days mainly just to read it.
I quite like it; very low-key, and nowhere near the Sandman/Sandman team-up you may have in your mind. It's a neat little piece.

It was released as a standalone prestige format issue, but if you have cheaper/faster access to Midnight Days, that works too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Out of curiosity, how was the Sandman Midnight Theatre?

I couldn't say - I didn't really want it. :)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Jedit posted:

This.

Thanks guys.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I've been collecting the Sandman trades and I'm up to Fables & Reflections which out of all that I have read is probably my favorite with all the interesting stories that Neil created. Plus Emperor Norton I is awesome. The prequel series has a lot of potential because there are so many stories you can make with the material.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I just finished a readthrough of the entire series. It is the most hit and miss series I have ever read--there are several issues, like the famous "Ramadan," that I thought were pretty bad. That isn't to say that the ideas are bad--the payoff for that issue, for example, is amazing--but it is obvious that Gaiman isn't a master of comics, but rather is a great writer who ended up writing a comic for a long time.

I was also surprised how often rape is used as a plot device in the first half of the series.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I dunno about most people but I've always thought the last volume of Sandman is terrible compared to the rest. Feels like Gaiman tried to cram way too much into something already fairly lengthy.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I dunno about most people but I've always thought the last volume of Sandman is terrible compared to the rest. Feels like Gaiman tried to cram way too much into something already fairly lengthy.

I actually think quite the opposite--it has a rhythm to it that really, really workd compared to the overly-long The Kindly Ones that preceded it. What kinds of things were "crammed in" (you might want to spoiler it, I don't know.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kunzelman posted:

I actually think quite the opposite--it has a rhythm to it that really, really workd compared to the overly-long The Kindly Ones that preceded it. What kinds of things were "crammed in" (you might want to spoiler it, I don't know.)

Ya the three stories that make up Wake really work and it is a good wrap up to the series.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think The Wake was superb overall with stunning and beatiful art, and in particular because of two issues: the first is the conclusion(?) of Hob Gadling's arc. The second is the final issue, which, after 74 issues of barely even beginning to understand Dream's life, we get a truly poignant glimpse into his soul, and it adds just the final dab of paint to the inspiring mural that is, to me, the greatest comic ever written.

Kunzelman posted:

I just finished a readthrough of the entire series. It is the most hit and miss series I have ever read--there are several issues, like the famous "Ramadan," that I thought were pretty bad. That isn't to say that the ideas are bad--the payoff for that issue, for example, is amazing--but it is obvious that Gaiman isn't a master of comics, but rather is a great writer who ended up writing a comic for a long time.

You need to explain this a little more. I'm not just saying this because I disagree with you, but because I'm curious. Are you saying he's not a master of comics because there's something missing visually? Did he not direct the artists adequately enough? I'm really confused.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I just started reading Sandman again, and from what I remember of the ending I'm still really impressed with how consistent the character is. It's really hard for a writer to have a vision that starts in page 1 and keeps going for 6 years, but Gaiman managed it. Having said that, Gaiman's writing has an overly serious quality that works for Sandman, but I'm not looking forward to the parts that don't focus on Sandman, like Game of You.

One part of Sandman that I really have mixed feelings about is Hob Gadling. I loved the character when I first read it as a younger man, I loved the idea of a character that loves life so much he doesn't die, but as I reread the book as an older man I see Gaiman taking the idea too far and implying that if people die it is because they want to, and that's just insulting, and Gaiman never does anything with the idea beyond saying, 'hey, cheer up!'.

Another book I was looking through recently was Y, and holy poo poo I forgot how great the art was for that. Holy poo poo.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

You need to explain this a little more. I'm not just saying this because I disagree with you, but because I'm curious. Are you saying he's not a master of comics because there's something missing visually? Did he not direct the artists adequately enough? I'm really confused.

More often than not, the images feel like tacked-on parts of the narrative instead of being integral to it. There are very few moments where Sandman couldn't have been a novel or a series of short stories--my barrier for "masterful comics" is understanding the careful balance between word and image that really brings the reader in. For example, the page layouts in Watchmen show that Moore fully understands that balance and how to compress (or decompress) for dramatic effect. More often than not, I feel like Gaiman doesn't have that strong sense of what things are supposed to look like and how things are need to be structured on the page and therefore wasn't able to communicate that well to the artist.

Part of this, too, might be the rolling roster of artists who worked on the series. Some of them clearly understood his style of writing and were able to go hog-wild with adaptation, but I think there is some real visual struggling throughout the series.

That said, there are some issues where Gaiman is on his game and no one can touch him like when John Dee kills all of those people in the diner. The pacing and writing in that issue is amazing.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

StumblyWumbly posted:

One part of Sandman that I really have mixed feelings about is Hob Gadling. I loved the character when I first read it as a younger man, I loved the idea of a character that loves life so much he doesn't die, but as I reread the book as an older man I see Gaiman taking the idea too far and implying that if people die it is because they want to, and that's just insulting, and Gaiman never does anything with the idea beyond saying, 'hey, cheer up!'.

Reread the issue and pay close attention to the dialogue of the background characters in all the time periods, especially the modern versus the first.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Reread the issue and pay close attention to the dialogue of the background characters in all the time periods, especially the modern versus the first.

Also the whole point of the character is not that he doesn't die because he doesn't want to but Dream is a bit of a dick and due to his desire to have a friend he made him immortal. What he was saying humored him and that is why he is immortal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Also note that Hob is not the only immortal. Orpheus wanted immortality and was given it by one of the Endless and look how he ended up.

• Locked thread