Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

demoneyespaul posted:

David Vivian Currie, Canadian recipient of the Victoria Cross. He was a Major in the South Alberta Regiment during the Second World War, and one handsome devil:

From a few pages back but this iconic photo is of David Currie during the action where he won his VC, probably the only photo ever of any VC action.

He is third from left, with the pistol in his hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Calipygian Venus

Classical art makes it clear Rome was a civilization of rear end men. :allears:

Not to be offensive, but I always thought Jesus was a handsome dude- a dark-featured well-built guy with kind eyes and a beard. It's a winning combination.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Realistic Jesus?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

"Christoph" post posted:

Not to be offensive, but I always thought Jesus was a handsome dude- a dark-featured well-built guy with kind eyes and a beard. It's a winning combination.
If years of viewing modern Christian depictions of Christ have taught me anything, it's that Jesus looked a lot like Kenny loggins.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Zelda Fitzgerald seemed like she was a lot of fun. Too bad about the schizophrenia. But being around F. Scott Fitzgerald probably does that. From what I've read she could be sharp as hell and an artist herself, but it's hard to build your own reputation when your spouse is responsible for The Great Gatsby.

That's a picture of Nancy Carroll, a different historical hotty :3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emCmjPuISmY&t=5m12s

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

His son, Lord Louis Mountbatten, was no ugly duckling either.

You cannot convince me this isn't just FDR in disguise.

Evidence:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Realistic Jesus?

Eh, I'd nail it. :downsrim:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Eh, I'd nail it. :downsrim:

:hfive:

I present to you all the stunning dapperness that is the 7th Earl of Elgin:

...and I've always had a soft spot for the young Trudeau. (linked for size)
http://i.imgur.com/7mYBn.jpg

For all of those ladies and gents who have a soft spot for tortured souls, Yukio Mishima and his batshittery are pretty delicious:

markhate
Apr 27, 2003

South Australian politician Don Dunstan.

This guy puts Harvey Milk to shame. Not only was he suave,sophisticated and bi-sexual he decriminalized marijuana use, decriminalized homosexuality, appointed the first female judge, abolished the death penalty, relaxed laws on censorship and drinking.

He also famously refused to wear old stuffy suits in government, preferring to address the floor in pink hot pants!!

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

markhate posted:

South Australian politician Don Dunstan.

This guy puts Harvey Milk to shame. Not only was he suave,sophisticated and bi-sexual he decriminalized marijuana use, decriminalized homosexuality, appointed the first female judge, abolished the death penalty, relaxed laws on censorship and drinking.

He also famously refused to wear old stuffy suits in government, preferring to address the floor in pink hot pants!!

I already knew about Don Dunstan and I like him much better than Tony Abbott. Speedos and policy-wise.

markhate
Apr 27, 2003

magic pantaloons posted:

I already knew about Don Dunstan and I like him much better than Tony Abbott. Speedos and policy-wise.

Agreed!! Maybe when Abbott starts holding press conferences in his silk pajamas and kimono Dunstan style I'll respect him more.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

markhate posted:

Agreed!! Maybe when Abbott starts holding press conferences in his silk pajamas and kimono Dunstan style I'll respect him more.

I would start to follow politics if this was a thing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Heinrich Schliemann discoverer of Troy, horrible Archaeologist
This is his wife who he gave her jewelry from the ruins of Troy (Again lovely archaeologist)

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I always thought Mozart was a pretty good looking dude.

markhate
Apr 27, 2003

bringmyfishback posted:

I would start to follow politics if this was a thing.

and just stylin...

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Pineapple Salad posted:

Speaking of great works of sculpture, Caesar Augustus wasn't bad either:

From what I've gathered, Augustus was actually a bit of a weenie. Just look at any of his lionized sculptures and you can see behind the altered features that one insufferable greasy nerd in the back of your Intro to PoliSci class who's hair is thinning out early. He was the first in Rome to shirk realism in state sculptures, and I don't think it was just to make himself like a god.

Rosa Luxemburg was quite cute in her youth:

Unknown woman from Anarchist Spain during the Civil War. I wonder what happened to her :(

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...
I am in love with Julie Andrews and likely always will be:

Also Prince Philip was good looking gent in his younger days:

Bertram
Oct 25, 2010
I've always liked Natalie Wood since I saw Love with the Proper Stranger.

It's really not a date movie though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bertram posted:

I've always liked Natalie Wood since I saw Love with the Proper Stranger.

It's really not a date movie though.

Also not a movie to watch while on a cruise.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

bobkatt013 posted:

Also not a movie to watch while on a cruise.

You never want to watch a Natalie Wood movie when you're on a boat.

ohforthewings
Jan 14, 2009
One of the main players in the Irish war of independance (and following Civil war)and an absolute hotty, Michael Collins

Looking dapper in his uniform:

Looking slightly serious:

This man knew how to dress:

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

ohforthewings posted:

One of the main players in the Irish war of independance (and following Civil war)and an absolute hotty, Michael Collins

Looking dapper in his uniform:

Looking slightly serious:

This man knew how to dress:

If you haven't seem the Movie about him, also called Michael Collins, you should. he's played by Liam Neeson, and Eamon de Valera is played by Alan Rickman. It's wicked awesome.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I always liked June Elvidge for some reason. She was a lesser-known silent-era actress. I saw her first in the recently-discovered Valentino/Swanson film "Beyond the Rocks" and she made an impression on me.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Michael Collins was the father of modern revolutionary warfare / terrorism. The movie is OK, but I recommend hitting your local public library and ILL'ing a few biographies of the dude.

De Valera may (or may not) have said it best: "It is my considered opinion that in the fullness of time history will record the greatness of Collins and it will be recorded at my expense".

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Smiling Jack posted:

Michael Collins was the father of modern revolutionary warfare / terrorism. The movie is OK, but I recommend hitting your local public library and ILL'ing a few biographies of the dude.

De Valera may (or may not) have said it best: "It is my considered opinion that in the fullness of time history will record the greatness of Collins and it will be recorded at my expense".

Asymmetrical warfare is not terrorism. The Easter uprising was aimed at independence. The response resulted in the horrible destruction of parts of Dublin, by the British.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

TampaTango posted:

Asymmetrical warfare is not terrorism.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Also, while Collins was a participiant in the Easter Rising he thought it was a complete failure (it was) and a total fiasco (it was) and during the War of Independence (which truly kicked off three years after the Easter Rising) he tried to completely avoid such battles.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Jul 30, 2012

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

Also, while Collins was a participiant in the Easter Rising he thought it was a complete failure (it was) and a total fiasco (it was) and during the War of Independence (which truly kicked off three years after the Easter Rising) he tried to completely avoid such battles.

The rising was obviously a military failure, but to people like Pearse it was a massive success. It destroyed the Home Rule Party's grip on the electorate,lead to the rise of Sinn Fein and eventually the War of Independence.

Smiling Jack posted:

I wish people wouldn't say this. Terrorism has a well defined meaning. It can be a legitimate tactic and is certainly not mutually exclusive to "fighting for freedom". Regardless, the IRA rarely used terrorism in that war. The British on the other hand...

bpower has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Jul 30, 2012

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

bpower posted:

Terrorism has a well defined meaning. It can be a legitimate tactic and is certainly not mutually exclusive to "fighting for freedom". Regardless, the IRA rarely used terrorism in that war. The British on the other hand...
Violence which is intended to create fear, and violence that targets or wantonly disregards the safety of non-combatants.

A good looking man from that era, the heroic yet doomed Padraig Pearse.

Padraig Pearse posted:

"To break the connection with England, the never-failing source of all our political evils, and to assert the independence of my country—these were my objects. To unite the whole people of Ireland, to abolish the memory of all past dissentions, and to substitute the common name of Irishmen in place of the denominations of Protestant, Catholic and Dissenter—these were my means."

Don't you dare call this man a terrorist.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiderfist Island posted:

Unknown woman from Anarchist Spain during the Civil War. I wonder what happened to her :(

Spanish Revolution girls are all awesome :allears:

ekuNNN has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Aug 3, 2012

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Zelda Fitzgerald.

The quintessential American Girl.

die kreuzen
Jun 18, 2012
Toshiro Mifune was classy as gently caress

Also love Martin Sheen in Badlands

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Smiling Jack posted:

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

I always thought that this girl was in the IRA? the picture was definitely taken after the 1954 or so, simply because of the gun she's using.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
Shining path girls, a brutal communist movement in Peru. Like FARC, they are mostly a cocaine smuggling operation in 2012.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Harold Gould. I'm used to seeing him with a cute little moustache, but those eyebrows just make me swoon every time.

Paul Robeson, with his big, warm, friendly face, I just want to cuddle up to him and listen to him tell stories. (He has a beautiful voice, definitely recommend looking up and listening to some of his music)

Cab Calloway. God drat.

Maurice Ravel, who might be best known for a piece he didn't even think was that good, much to his chagrin.

Those eyes, the cheekbones, the nose :swoon:

Robert Shaw, you beautiful son of a gun. Died aged 51 of a heart attack possibly from alcohol abuse :(

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Myrna Loy, the Queen of Hollywood in the 30s (when Clark Gable was King of Hollywood apparently)

I fell in love with her thanks to the Thin Man movies, in which she played Nora, wife of detective Nick Charles.

Here she is with William Powell (not a bad looker himself).

They had amazing on-screen chemistry, due in part to their close friendship, which makes the Thin Man series absolutely fantastic and well worth watching for anyone who has not seen them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I always thought Annie Oakley was really cute.

So was Sylvia Plath. Shame about the depression and the insanity and the death.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
Cyd Charisse

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Jane Goodall. She was beautiful.

So beautiful, in fact, that sexist biologists (it was the 1960's after all) wrote her off as a cover girl for National Geographic. I fell in love with her as a 12 year old watching My Life With the Chimpanzees. It's still one of my favorite documentaries.

Unlike many of the old fogies posted here, she's still alive, doing great work, and still retains a sense of humor. When a Gary Larson cartoon implied that she had sex with a chimpanzee, this happened:

Jane Goodall posted:

...my then Exectutive director thrust the cartoon at me. "Just look at that, will you!" she announced, in icy tones. I thought the folded paper nust contain some bad news so I opened it apprehensively. When I saw it I remember making some kind of explosive mirthful sound-I like to think it was a guffaw, because that is such a wonderful word, a real Far Side sort of word. And I said something like: "Wow! Fantastic! Real fame at last! Fancy being in a Gary Larson Cartoon!" I could hardly believe it when my then executive director told me she had found it so offensive that she had asked a lawyer to write a letter of complaint! It implied, she said, that I had sexual relations with the chimps!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

History's first muscle bound hunk of man, the great Eugene Sandow.

It's OK to stare ladies. It's artistic!

I think I have the vapors!

• Locked thread