Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
irc says this thread is supposed to be sniped but idk that seems like cheating imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Biggest Disaster posted:

They managed to gently caress up the same premise with Stargate Universe too.

GOD drat IT!!!

NO THEY loving DIDN'T

AAARRGH

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sniep posted:

you guys and your SyFy
the proper pronunciation is "skiffy" fyi

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

sci fi is shameful

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

duTrieux. posted:

voyager makes me a little mad because the premise is so goddamn wasted

bsg is to a large extent ron moore doing all the things he was overruled on during voyager

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

FEMA summer camp posted:

GOD drat IT!!!

NO THEY loving DIDN'T

AAARRGH

Okay it was getting better at the end but the first season was painful to watch (I guess that's true for a lot of sci-fi though; probably if it had been given a chance it could have been pretty good).

It needed less story about Eli being friendzoned by Chloe and more about Dr. Rush being an insane badass.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
so i can almost swallow the whole "the borg don't attack you if they don't consider you a threat" thing

but seriously, why can anyone beam to the inside of their ship and set charges without the drones trying to stop them

christ

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Biggest Disaster posted:

Okay it was getting better at the end but the first season was painful to watch (I guess that's true for a lot of sci-fi though; probably if it had been given a chance it could have been pretty good).

It needed less story about Eli being friendzoned by Chloe and more about Dr. Rush being an insane badass.

this seems like a reasonable compromise, S1 was kinda dull

i'll cancel the hit i put out on you

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Biggest Disaster posted:

They managed to gently caress up the same premise with Stargate Universe too. How the hell is "starship stranded somewhere out in space far away from Earth" not the easiest thing to write cool sci-fi around?

stargate universe owned gently caress the haters

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sgu was a good sci-fi series it just didn't fit the tone of the rest of the sg series

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Stymie posted:

sgu was a good sci-fi series it just didn't fit the tone of the rest of the sg series

this

also shame on me for agreeing with dog tits

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
once again it's clearly a cat

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

once again your nickname has already been established as dog tits

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sniep posted:

reminds me of the woz pushing a button on the dash of his gf's car one time...

the less said about kathy griffin the better

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

amf5 posted:

the less said about kathy griffin the better

she's got kind of a bitter fued going on with stephen baldwin so that gives her points in my pamphlet

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

No because you see enterprise is riker and tissue tits watching it in the holo deck

brawny

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Inverse Icarus posted:

so i can almost swallow the whole "the borg don't attack you if they don't consider you a threat" thing

but seriously, why can anyone beam to the inside of their ship and set charges without the drones trying to stop them

christ

space bees!!!

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Anyone want to know about my own grey goo scenario?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sergeant Rock posted:

No, we don't want to hear about your uncleaned shower stall.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Sergeant Rock posted:

If its gonna be pics of your keyboard then include me out!

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers

Sergeant Rock posted:

too easy... something's wrong here...

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
watching the captain america movie. how did they rob agent smith of what little charisma he had?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sgu sucked and deserved to die. it doesnt matter if "it was getting better" because it sucked. if they didnt want it to be cancelled they should have made it better from the start.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

christ

they can apparently just beam personel in there all willy nilly but they cant beam in a nuke even when the fate of billions is on the line cause thats illegal in star trek.

the borg are a problem to write which is why they werent abused in TNG or even present in ds9

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

they can apparently just beam personel in there all willy nilly but they cant beam in a nuke even when the fate of billions is on the line cause thats illegal in star trek.

transporter breaks a lot of stories

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Instead of having an infirmary, why not just program the transporter to rejigger everyone's atoms into a perfectly healthy state every time they use it.

Why can't they use it to make unlimited copies of Data to use as away teams in hazardous locations.

If there's an incoming photon torpedo why don't they transport a solid block of something into its path.

etc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the transporter has definitions for known or potentially harmful pathogens and will auto filter them on transport. so those are unlikely to make it onto a ship in the first place. they already have plenty of medical equipment to do lots of special stuff and alot of it probably is replicator/transporter based, just in handheld forms. cetain procedures are "too complex" as needed for drama

data cant be replicated b/c his positronic brain is too complex. replicators can only make simple objects. food replicators, for example, essentially create flavored proteins + carbohydrates similar to the original template foods. some are better at replicating the originals (ex: shuttle food replicators kinda suck, public food replicators are ok, and quark's replicators would be top tier.)

but ur write. any kind of projectile that would detonate on impact could be stopped by throwing something in its way. However, you cannot beam poo poo through shields so beaming a block outside of shield range would not be advisable since it would leave one open to phaser/disruptor attack while the shields were down. point defense turrets would be a better idea anyways since they would be more accurate than a transporter. (these can be seen on the enterprise in jj trek)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

the transporter has definitions for known or potentially harmful pathogens and will auto filter them on transport. so those are unlikely to make it onto a ship in the first place.

except in all the episodes where this is exactly what happens

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Inverse Icarus posted:

i'm either really baked or this episode of voyager is actually good half way in

5x11 - Latent Image

the best voyager episode

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

gooby on rails posted:

except in all the episodes where this is exactly what happens

emphasis on known, it's always some weird alien flu

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

irc says this thread is supposed to be sniped but idk that seems like cheating imo

its me, im the US government airdropping weapons to central america so they kill each other off

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Inverse Icarus posted:

lol jeri ryan just taught like a six year old a sequence of 4 keypresses that blocked harry kim's computer

c'mon harry

it's like windows domains where if you get your password wrong you get locked out and have to call the power tripping janitors to unlock you

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Biggest Disaster posted:

Instead of having an infirmary, why not just program the transporter to rejigger everyone's atoms into a perfectly healthy state every time they use it.

Why can't they use it to make unlimited copies of Data to use as away teams in hazardous locations.

If there's an incoming photon torpedo why don't they transport a solid block of something into its path.

etc

what I want to know is why they don't just keep backup copies of everybody in the transport buffers

also how come transporters aren't weaponized, and why aren't the shields on a computer program that automatically raises them in response to detected energy surges?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i thought the weirdest transporter usage was in the borg episode where they floated a shuttle past the shields, then were able to transport around inside the shield

reading memory alpha i cant figure out, but i was under the impression that o'brien was still transporting them around just fine

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

they only care about the shields thing if it isnt hard to write around

im p sure in the tng ep with james doohan they transport people through the shields because theres a ship holding a door open for them

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JawnV6 posted:

i thought the weirdest transporter usage was in the borg episode where they floated a shuttle past the shields, then were able to transport around inside the shield

reading memory alpha i cant figure out, but i was under the impression that o'brien was still transporting them around just fine

nah they were transporting from the shuttle into the borg cube. then after they'd scooted away from the cube a bit o'brien beamed them onto the ship.

then the borg blew up the shuttle. !!

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

:ohdear:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

nah they were transporting from the shuttle into the borg cube. then after they'd scooted away from the cube a bit o'brien beamed them onto the ship.

the shuttles have fully capable transporters? like why do we have the room with the pads then? im asking where the buffers or w/e are for that bit, because it really seemed like o'brien was the one magicking them around past the shield even though they couldn't go THROUGH the shield

oh and this really bugged me about the original judge dredd and i want to type so here we go: DNA. they convict sylvester because the bad guy WHO HAS IDENTICAL DNA shot someone with the special DNA-checking gun that affirms that both dudes have exactly the same DNA. then, the bad guy's plot is revealed and instead of using Dredd's DNA (which is identical to the bad guy's fyi) to clone a shitton of new judges, the bad guy is all "NO!! use MY dna!!!" and everyone flips their poo poo because apparently they can't even use DNA consistently

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

his dna had mutated and picked up extra craziness

also identical DNA except one is Sly Stallone and one is Armand Assante

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the main transporters on the big ships have lots more poo poo built in to prevent problems and can transport more people at once. redundant heisenberg compensator, bigger buffers, etc..

re: judge dredd + DNA, the DNA they were going to use to create the new judges was some super combo DNA from all the best judges of the past or something iirc. a better question is why arent dredd and rico identical if they have the same dna. or why would rico assume hed get a pile of rico clones instead of a pile of dredd clones. tbh who cares

• Locked thread