Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'd like an j/RPG from Playstation era and before with little to no grinding required and with an interesting environment/story. I just finally beat Final Fantasy 6 after only 12 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Romancing SaGa would probably be a good one for you- I really liked the battle system, too.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

victrix posted:

I wonder if it's a 'I'm getting old' thing or a 'There are too many games about raw conflict' thing

But either way I want some more peaceful fun games that aren't mindlessly boring and sappy but still have significant, engaging gamey aspects

Fate of the World is fun, thought-provoking, and has some unique gameplay. Don't let the trailer fool you, it's more like a puzzle/board game than Civilization, but it's a pretty good one.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

I'd like an j/RPG from Playstation era and before with little to no grinding required and with an interesting environment/story. I just finally beat Final Fantasy 6 after only 12 years!

Wild ARMs (the original, not the remake) certainly meets the "interesting environment/story" criteria, and it has a great soundtrack to boot. It also doesn't require much in the way of grinding, as long as you explore dungeons fairly thoroughly. That'll net you the xp/gella needed to keep pace with the enemies, as well as acquiring Jack's Arts, Rudy's ARMs, and other goodies (Ammo, Crests, rare equipment).

Remember that Cecelia's Mystic (Lv.1 Force) can be used on her own unequiped gear to reproduce a variety of her spells, without using any MP or binding any crests. This also works with other items (Heal/Potion berries), so you can use one berry to heal all three characters at once.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bouchacha posted:

Suikoden 1 and 2. Best JRPGs ever in my opinion.

Edit: For clarification, if you don't know what those games are - historical fantasy, based on Water Margin, one of the great Chinese novels. European/Asian inspired, involving armies and political intrigue in a massive, gradually expanding world.

You build up an army of 108 "stars" to take over the opposing force. You steadily build up your homebase, and plot progression is generally based around gaining advantages over the opposing force. So you fight enemy generals, research new weapons, recruit new allies, etc., all weaved together into an incredibly clever and large-scale plot that includes copious amounts of backstabbing and tragedy.

Forget best JRPGs ever, they're some of my favourite games, period. You can get the first one on PSN, but the second one is harder to track down. Worth it, though.

Oh, and they definitely don't require any grinding - I would say they're easier than FF6.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 31, 2012

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
I'd like a recommendation for a DS game. Something like Harvest Moon or maybe an RPG, with a good bit of customization or something that lends itself toward replayability.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

A Dapper Walrus posted:

I'd like a recommendation for a DS game. Something like Harvest Moon or maybe an RPG, with a good bit of customization or something that lends itself toward replayability.
I assume you've tried Rune Factory?

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

I assume you've tried Rune Factory?

Actually, I have not. I just feel like something in that vein would be pretty good. Could you or someone else give me a summary of what it's like, please?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Actually, I have not. I just feel like something in that vein would be pretty good. Could you or someone else give me a summary of what it's like, please?
It's basically Harvest Moon with RPG elements added in. You still farm and woo townsfolk, but now you also dungeon crawl. It's quite fun, really, in the Harvest Moon-addictive sort of way.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Devil Survivor 2 (slightly better than 1 in my opinion) might be a good idea. There's also The World Ends With You.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Could somebody recommend a good 4X game that isn't Civilization and isn't set in space? Especially something like GalCiv 2 (but, y'know, not in space).

Also, I'm interested in the Tropico games. Are they particularly good? Which one is the best? etc.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
You could try Warlock: Master of the Arcane. It's a Civ-similar 4X in a fantasy world akin to Master of Magic. Might be worth your while.

RPS did a write-up on it yesterday: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/30/the-rps-verdict-warlock-master-of-the-arcane/

As for Tropic Games: Those are pretty straight city-builders. And I'd just get no. 4, it's basically an incremental upgrade over 3. Some of the dlc changes the way the game plays quite a bit so you should consider it. I'm personally not a huge fan of the games, but I prefer [city-building] games that focus on production chains like Anno 1404/2070 or Settlers.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

A Dapper Walrus posted:

You've probably tried Animal Crossing already but if not, try Animal Crossing!

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I'm looking for a fantasy strategy game with an emphasis on controlling territory.

Something like Heroes of Might & Magic or Dominions.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I want something cute like Recettear, but with more emphasis on the tycoon part of the game. Can anyone help me out?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Alright so this is probably not going to work, but I'll give it a shot.

I like strategy games. I am not good at strategy games. I like making dudes fight and watching the spectacle. (Total war games are my bane of free time)

But I like other strategy games. I enjoy... customization. The example I'm going to use is Elemental: War of Magic. It's kind of a lovely game in that it's broken in many ways, but I like it because I can literally make the units and the sovereign, and the everything. Here is my problem.

I hate overly complex games. I can handle some complexity, but some 4x games that sound cool put me off by the whole "CHOOSE HOW MANY ARMOR PLATES ARE ON THIS SIDE OF THE HULL AND WHERE THE CREW MEMBERS SLEEP AND gently caress EACH OTHER ON THIS TINY FRIGATE YOU WILL MAKE HUNDREDS OF AND BLOW UP SUBSEQUENTLY"

So what I'm asking for is, a strategy game that lets me do customization with my kingdom/species/whatever but doesn't bury me in complex mechanics I could not give a poo poo about. The feature lists on 4x games make me want them so bad but I can't bring myself to penetrate the ridiculous levels of complexity.

EDIT: Entry level stuff I can tolerate: I enjoyed Alpha Centauri to some degree even if I didn't quite get the hang of everything. I just subverted mind worms and overran my opponents.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 2, 2012

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Drakenel posted:

I like strategy games. I am not good at strategy games. I like making dudes fight and watching the spectacle. (Total war games are my bane of free time)

But I like other strategy games. I enjoy... customization. The example I'm going to use is Elemental: War of Magic. It's kind of a lovely game in that it's broken in many ways, but I like it because I can literally make the units and the sovereign, and the everything. Here is my problem.

I hate overly complex games. I can handle some complexity, but some 4x games that sound cool put me off by the whole "CHOOSE HOW MANY ARMOR PLATES ARE ON THIS SIDE OF THE HULL AND WHERE THE CREW MEMBERS SLEEP AND gently caress EACH OTHER ON THIS TINY FRIGATE YOU WILL MAKE HUNDREDS OF AND BLOW UP SUBSEQUENTLY"

So what I'm asking for is, a strategy game that lets me do customization with my kingdom/species/whatever but doesn't bury me in complex mechanics I could not give a poo poo about. The feature lists on 4x games make me want them so bad but I can't bring myself to penetrate the ridiculous levels of complexity.

EDIT: Entry level stuff I can tolerate: I enjoyed Alpha Centauri to some degree even if I didn't quite get the hang of everything. I just subverted mind worms and overran my opponents.

Impossible Creatures isn't a great game, but I remember really liking going through it a few years ago. Not sure if it's what you're looking for. Basically it lets you combine DNA you extract from animals to make hybrids with the parts you want from each animal, so you could for instance make a shark with scorpion pincers. Pretty fun!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Drakenel posted:

Master of Orion 2 will always be the best space 4x game and doesn't bog you down with this kind of poo poo. It just asks what guns you want and if you want anything fancier on board.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Drakenel posted:

You can buy into the Elemental: Fallen Enchantress beta and play it right away (and at a reduced price if you own War of Magic). I haven't played either myself, but I know the sequel has been getting a much better reception, even in beta state.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I'm looking for a city-building type of game. Anything that has little dudes running around doing my bidding. I love Simcity 4 and Dwarf Fortress, but I feel like I've probably already played the best. Reprisal was the last game that really scratched this itch for me. Are any of those Cities XL games worth it?

edit: looking back a couple of pages I see a lot of people recommending Tropico so I'll give that game a shot.

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 3, 2012

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Drakenel posted:

I enjoy... customization.

I like Earth:2150 from Gog.com specifically the Project Moon expansion. You get to build a persistent base you can take your time with, and the units you fight with are custom designed. It's real time. Take a look at the series, there is a pretty good amount of customization compared to most RTS games.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Greedish posted:

Impossible Creatures isn't a great game, but I remember really liking going through it a few years ago. Not sure if it's what you're looking for. Basically it lets you combine DNA you extract from animals to make hybrids with the parts you want from each animal, so you could for instance make a shark with scorpion pincers. Pretty fun!
Agreed, it really deserves more love. It was pretty fun for what it was.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I'm looking for a city-building type of game. Anything that has little dudes running around doing my bidding. I love Simcity 4 and Dwarf Fortress, but I feel like I've probably already played the best. Reprisal was the last game that really scratched this itch for me. Are any of those Cities XL games worth it?

edit: looking back a couple of pages I see a lot of people recommending Tropico so I'll give that game a shot.

I liked Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery a lot. I've not played 2070, but the others are great, relaxing, beautiful building games.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Yeah, Tropico 4 is a lot of fun, and pretty cheap usually on Gamersgate.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery a lot. I've not played 2070, but the others are great, relaxing, beautiful building games.
Seconding Anno 1404 and 1701(? - the tropical one). 2070, not so much. Noticeably worse.

Cities XL was poo poo.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Thanks for all the great suggestions you guys, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I'm looking for a game I can (for want of a better word) fidget with, while listening to audiobooks. I usually use Everyday Genius: Squarelogic for that purpose, but it's just a bit too involving; I keep missing plot points :v:

Any thoughts? It can't have any (important) text or speech, since I'll be listening to audiobooks. Music or sound effects are fine.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Ashenai posted:

I'm looking for a game I can (for want of a better word) fidget with, while listening to audiobooks. I usually use Everyday Genius: Squarelogic for that purpose, but it's just a bit too involving; I keep missing plot points :v:

Any thoughts? It can't have any (important) text or speech, since I'll be listening to audiobooks. Music or sound effects are fine.

Osmos might be good. You might also play with that Falling Sand game (flash based, easy to find), too. If you're simply looking to 'fidgit' it can be pretty satisfying.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I like Earth:2150 from Gog.com specifically the Project Moon expansion. You get to build a persistent base you can take your time with, and the units you fight with are custom designed. It's real time. Take a look at the series, there is a pretty good amount of customization compared to most RTS games.

I just noticed that Earth 2150 is on sale at GOG.com so there's that

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Ashenai posted:

I like recettear for that- it's juuuust mindless enough that you won't lose focus on the book.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Ashenai posted:

DEFCON might be a good choice. It's like War Games, the movie. Well, what the huge monitors were displaying in War Games anyway.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ashenai posted:

Well, there's always Peggle.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just gave Earth 2150 a try but I can't figure out how to end the first mission. I sent up the required resources and killed all the dudes on the map, but I can't seem to do anything else.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

dis astranagant posted:

I just gave Earth 2150 a try but I can't figure out how to end the first mission. I sent up the required resources and killed all the dudes on the map, but I can't seem to do anything else.

If I remember correctly, you need to return to your main base. During the course of the game you can pack up units you made during a mission and bring them back to your base. Then you can transport those units to another mission. Your main base plays a big role in the campaign.

-e grammar error

Remote User fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 4, 2012

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
I'm looking for some games that are good to watch. Specifically, I am looking for games that I can watch very good players, and understand the tactics used as a non-player, preferably with some sort of decent commentary. For example, I have been enjoying watching star craft tournaments here. I've tried watching FPS', but the combination of the fast pace, twitch gameplay, and players too busy playing a fast pace game to comment on what they are doing makes it very difficult to stay interested.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ducttape posted:

I'm looking for some games that are good to watch. Specifically, I am looking for games that I can watch very good players, and understand the tactics used as a non-player, preferably with some sort of decent commentary. For example, I have been enjoying watching star craft tournaments here. I've tried watching FPS', but the combination of the fast pace, twitch gameplay, and players too busy playing a fast pace game to comment on what they are doing makes it very difficult to stay interested.

I've found Street Fighter(SF2 Turbo and SSF4 Arcade Edition) to be pretty easy to follow as a non-player. King of Fighters XIII as well, although to a lesser extent. I find Marvel vs Capcom inscrutable, though.

I also love watching Dota 2 but there's a lot of different stuff in that game that I bet is hard to follow if you don't play the game. Might be worth a shot if you have some time on your hands.

Teevox is a good website for finding streams. Iplaywinner.com and streamdota2.com have stream aggregators similar to Team Liquid's sidebar, IPW being for fighting games and streamdota2 being for... dota 2.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

upperthorax posted:

If I remember correctly, you need to return to your main base. During the course of the game you can pack up units you made during a mission and bring them back to your base. Then you can transport those units to another mission while. Your main base plays a big role in the campaign.

Tried that. I think it's being bitchy about all the excess poo poo I built in the mission area because I didn't know what was going on. I'll have to give it another go later.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

dis astranagant posted:

Tried that. I think it's being bitchy about all the excess poo poo I built in the mission area because I didn't know what was going on. I'll have to give it another go later.

Yeah, crap, it's been so long...like 11 years long.

I loved Earth, and it was one of the first PC games I played. Since I can't find my hard copy, I might capitalize on GOG's 2.99 offer.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Any recommendations for shortish (say no longer than five/six hours) narrative heavy games for PC/PS3? I'd like a tightly paced story that can be completed in a single sitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

UnquietDream posted:

Any recommendations for shortish (say no longer than five/six hours) narrative heavy games for PC/PS3? I'd like a tightly paced story that can be completed in a single sitting.

I'm sure it's not what you had in mind, but if you like reading check out some interactive fiction, specifically some of the IFComp or XYZZY winners and runners up from the last several years, which are usually going to be some of the most tight and polished games, and most of them aiming to be finished roughly at the two hour mark.

There is SO much IF out there of varying quality it's really hard to compile a list of suggestion without knowing what genre you're interested in. Maybe try City of Secrets to start with? Or at least that's the one I usually recommend new players. (If you're into Lovecraft at all Anchorhead was what got me hooked, though it doesn't really hold the player's hand as much as modern IF is expected to.)

This post was probably completely unhelpful but I just like reminding people that IF exists and is awesome sometimes! :)