Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

It's a very old core and slow as well. Kinda like deciding to use a Pentium III core to emulate a modern x86 cpu.

I think its just the cheapest core that has the TrustZone feature. If that's really all they want it for, there's no sense in using a better core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

syzygy86 posted:

I think its just the cheapest core that has the TrustZone feature. If that's really all they want it for, there's no sense in using a better core.

That, and it's supposed to have very low power consumption, so it won't add too much to the chip's overall power draw.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syzygy86 posted:

Well yes, but the guy I was quoting specifically said "seeing the ARM core being used for virtualization for the emulation of ARM-based devices.". That simply won't be practical with it.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I just spent some time trying to find every single 14" or less laptop out there with a trinity processor. Here is the complete list:

Samsung Series 5 NP535U3C - 13.3, A6-4455M, $700, 12.4" x 8.6" x 0.58" ~ 0.69", 3.35 lb
Samsung Series 5 NP535U4C - 14", A10-4655M, $850 dimensions not listed, 3.99 lb
HP Probook 6475b B5P17UT - 14", A6-4400M - $670, 4.48 lb, 13.31 x 9.11 x 1.34 in
HP ProBook 6475b B5P18UT - 14", A8-4500M - $770, 4.48 lb, 13.31 x 9.11 x 1.34 in
HP ProBook 6475b B5P19UT - 14", A10-4600M - $830, 4.48 lb, 13.31 x 9.11 x 1.34 in

All of them have platter hard drives, 4 gigs of ram (except for the A10 probook), 1366x768 resolution, etc. I went back and searched fairly exhaustively for llano's under 14" and came up with pretty much the same list of manufacturers. I THINK Samsung released an llano laptop under 14.0 but I'm not sure; I can find no evidence of this laptop on their website. So it's not just a matter of the hardware being new, no-one ever bothered for Llanos either.

Yes, there are plenty of sub-13.3 notebooks with E-series processors but there's no reason why that's all there should be. Why isn't anyone making AMD sub-notebooks that seriously compete with Intel's sub-notebooks?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I would love a Trinity laptop ultra book style. Where are they?
14" monitor, 1600x900 resolution, Trinity APU, 128GB SSD, about 3.5 lbs. Why isn't this a thing?

Trinity's CPU is plenty fast for browsing the internet and office software type products. Trinity's GPU is faster than an HD4000.

It's really frustrating because it's actually a perfect product for this market IMO. Where are these products?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Here's an ultrabook-ish laptop w/ the A10 by HP:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/13/hp-envy-sleekbook-6z-review/

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

It has that awful clickpad that makes low end HP laptops unusable. drat.

tijag posted:

I would love a Trinity laptop ultra book style. Where are they?
14" monitor, 1600x900 resolution, Trinity APU, 128GB SSD, about 3.5 lbs. Why isn't this a thing?

Trinity's CPU is plenty fast for browsing the internet and office software type products. Trinity's GPU is faster than an HD4000.

It's really frustrating because it's actually a perfect product for this market IMO. Where are these products?

I agree somewhat, but I'd rather see 13.3" or 14" in a 13.3" sized chassis (very thin bezel) with 1440x900, A10-4600M, 256GB SSD (SSDs have plummeted in price!). I could flesh out other requirements, but for now, every all in one trackpad that isn't from Apple is awful, so definitely it must have separate buttons.

But yes, I don't know why this product doesn't exist. Or if it does, I missed it.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 17, 2012

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

A 15.6 inch, 4.75 pound HP laptop with a 1366x768 screen, a 4 cell battery, and a platter hard drive without even the option to upgrade any of those is a cruel joke, not an ultrabook. I have no idea who that is supposed to be for. HP's other AMD offerings at least have a hypothetical use case, I guess; I'm sure there's someone out there for whom a dv6z-7000 customized with an A10+1gb 7730M for $675 would be The poo poo.

One thing I didn't notice before was the much narrower price gap between AMD's entry and top-end than Intel's, particularly on HP's website. A6->A10 is $100 at HP while going from (picking a random ivy bridge HP laptop) an i5-3317U to an i7-3667 on the spectre is $260 or the m6t-1000's i5-3210 to an i7-3520M is $250.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AMD has lost another two executives.

Losing the guy who was instrumental in video game console contracts to NVIDIA seems devastating to me.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 24, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That sucks for AMD. I'm pretty stunned that they don't have a non-compete agreement covering Bob Feldstein.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alereon posted:

That sucks for AMD. I'm pretty stunned that they don't have a non-compete agreement covering Bob Feldstein.
They're not legal in California.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They're not legal in California.

You can still tie someone up in court for a bit over it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sat in on a AMD briefing today, right after an Intel one yesterday. Mostly for server-stuff (Abu Dhabi/Seoul & beyond), but their corporate stumbling around has really hurt them. Still on a 3-chip solution in 2012/2013 while Intel moved PCIe RC onto the CPU almost 4 years ago now. They're really trying (pricing + thermals are excellent) but I fear for them still.

Our AMD guy is friendlier on the phone though, compared to Intel :3:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

AMD has lost another two executives.

Losing the guy who was instrumental in video game console contracts to NVIDIA seems devastating to me.
Word is Nvidia have got the contract to make GPUs for the next XBox, so that's probably related.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
When did you see that it was nvidia? I've always seen ibm/amd?

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/01/18/xbox-nextxbox-720-chips-in-production/

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Christobevii3 posted:

When did you see that it was nvidia? I've always seen ibm/amd?

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/01/18/xbox-nextxbox-720-chips-in-production/

Yea I was pretty sure AMD/ATI had all the design wins for the upcoming generation of consoles.

punkr0csux
May 1, 2008

Not a single site reviewed the A10 config version of this machine. I just want to know how badly the higher wattage of the A10 will affect the battery life. There don't even seem to be independent forum/user reviews either.

It would be nice if there was an option to upgrade to the 1600*900 matte screen on the Probook listed above.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

roadhead posted:

Yea I was pretty sure AMD/ATI had all the design wins for the upcoming generation of consoles.
They do, which is interesting because now things are getting closer and closer to being multiple consoles with the exact same internals which is good for us software developers because things will start getting consistent.

It'd also be great, albeit pipe dream, if it meant later on down the road we could go to one universal console.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

real_scud posted:

They do, which is interesting because now things are getting closer and closer to being multiple consoles with the exact same internals which is good for us software developers because things will start getting consistent.

It'd also be great, albeit pipe dream, if it meant later on down the road we could go to one universal console.

That's the thing though, there's apparently just been an Xbox 720 devkit leaked, and it's claimed to have an Intel CPU and Nvidia graphics:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-curious-case-of-the-durango-devkit-leak

If true, definitely a big change from what was said before. Either way though, if it's still x86 architecture that still is good news for software developers.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

That article posted:

DaE also says that Microsoft is targeting an eight-core CPU for the final retail hardware - if true, this must surely be based around Atom architecture to fit inside the thermal envelope.

:psyduck: Yes, next-gen gaming box based on Atom, indeed.

And FWIW, the number of recruiters hunting for UEFI developers for certain companies has spiked recently, so take that as you will.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'd also point out, it's been known for console makers to have several different initial system designs and change them later. Take the Dreamcast for instance - there were two competing designs a year before the console's actual release:

quote:

Hideki Sato's group used Hitachi SH4 and PowerVR to make a video game machine called "White Belt".
Tatsuo Yamamoto's group used IBM/Motorola PowerPC 603e and 3dfx Voodoo 2 to make a video game machine called "Blackbelt"

A variant of the "White Belt" system became the production Dreamcast, while the Blackbelt system went nowhere.

It wouldn't be surprising if Microsoft had had both an all-AMD and this Intel-nVidia combo system from the get-go.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
For once, a bit of good news for AMD's talent pool: The designer who headed the K8 architecture, co-authored the AMD-64 instruction set spec and, more recently, worked on the design of the Apple A4 and A5 SoCs and specifications for two generations of Macbook Air is now coming back to AMD to help kick up its x86 performance.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
That could be really helpful for their apu's fitting into tablets!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
VR-Zone is reporting that Piledriver has been canceled as a desktop CPU product (Vishera), as the performance increase over Bulldozer wasn't significant enough to justify it. There will be a 16-core Opteron based on dual Piledriver dies, and of course the Trinity series of APUs use Piledriver CPU modules, but it looks like we won't see a replacement of the FX-series Zambezi processors until the Steamroller launch in 2013, and they'll be up against Intel's Haswell processors.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

You Am I posted:

Word is Nvidia have got the contract to make GPUs for the next XBox, so that's probably related.

Huh? I only ever heard information to the exact contrary: the leaked document suggested TWO AMD GPUs, one exactly as the old for backwards compatibility.

No-one can deny for a second that an AMD Fusion design would be perfect for a console (although hopefully with a sufficiently beefy and shrinked GPU by that time).

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

HalloKitty posted:

Huh? I only ever heard information to the exact contrary: the leaked document suggested TWO AMD GPUs, one exactly as the old for backwards compatibility.

No-one can deny for a second that an AMD Fusion design would be perfect for a console (although hopefully with a sufficiently beefy and shrinked GPU by that time).

The claimed Xbox 720 dev kit that went up for sale a few weeks back was said to be Intel/Nvidia. Then again, when it came up before someone pointed out that even if it's real they might have tried competing hardware designs and this was the other team's.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Killer robot posted:

The claimed Xbox 720 dev kit that went up for sale a few weeks back was said to be Intel/Nvidia. Then again, when it came up before someone pointed out that even if it's real they might have tried competing hardware designs and this was the other team's.

My guess is it has nothing to do with the final hardware. I'd personally be a bit wary of assuming that box has a bearing on the actual console.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
While I'd agree with that, I don't see how it would serve any purpose to send out a dev kit of an entirely different architecture. The 360 dev kit was at least a G5 (based on POWER4) + ATI R420 (Radeon X800), though the final shipping product was Cell PPEs (based on POWER6) + ATI R520 (Radeon X1800). If they really are sending out Intel+nVidia dev kits (this might all be a hoax or they might just be dev workstations or something), that's a pretty good sign the earlier rumors of POWER7 + AMD were wrong.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

While I'd agree with that, I don't see how it would serve any purpose to send out a dev kit of an entirely different architecture. The 360 dev kit was at least a G5 (based on POWER4) + ATI R420 (Radeon X800), though the final shipping product was Cell PPEs (based on POWER6) + ATI R520 (Radeon X1800). If they really are sending out Intel+nVidia dev kits (this might all be a hoax or they might just be dev workstations or something), that's a pretty good sign the earlier rumors of POWER7 + AMD were wrong.

I thought the next Xbox rumors had always been (since like 2010 at least) x86-64 AMD CPU + AMD graphics, not some kind of POWER7 chip for the CPU + AMD graphics. So having other next Xbox stuff come out that was Intel x86-64 plus nVidia graphics isn't much of a structural change.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

I thought the next Xbox rumors had always been (since like 2010 at least) x86-64 AMD CPU + AMD graphics, not some kind of POWER7 chip for the CPU + AMD graphics. So having other next Xbox stuff come out that was Intel x86-64 plus nVidia graphics isn't much of a structural change.

I guess Yukon is one architecture, Durango another.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Alereon posted:

that's a pretty good sign the earlier rumors of POWER7 + AMD were wrong.
I thought its been known for a while that the POWER7 rumors were wrong? POWER7 is fast but consumes too much power and puts out waay to much heat for a console, something ridiculous like 200w+ on a pretty modern process IIRC the B3D/RWT threads.

Seems like its pretty much a given that whatever IBM/AMD/whoever do provide it'll have to be something fairly customized again to provide the performance at a reasonable cost and heat output/power consumption.

Alereon posted:

looks like we won't see a replacement of the FX-series Zambezi processors until the Steamroller launch in 2013, and they'll be up against Intel's Haswell processors
Wowow they've screwed the pooch so hard this time around. Jaguar looks like it'll be great for netbooks at least, but they're pretty much giving up on competing with Intel for mid/high end laptops/desktops for quite a while.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 2, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

No idea how good this source is, but for what its worth PD preview:
http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/09/preview-amd-fx-8350-piledriver-last.html

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm just hoping that the next round of consoles from MS/Sony have 4GB+ of memory so we can finally ween off 32bit game builds for PC/Mac.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

wipeout posted:

No idea how good this source is, but for what its worth PD preview:
http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/09/preview-amd-fx-8350-piledriver-last.html

I saw a discussion on Anandtech about this review, they are 99% sure it is fake based on the site's reputation, wording used in the review, performance being wildly varying (worse than an FX-8150 to 10-20% better than a 2500K), and the fact that the site previously released a fake early Bulldozer review.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I see the thread on Anand, OBR seems like a pretty bad site all around. My bad, sorry.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I thought they were dead on the desktop, but apparently not: XbitLabs reports that the Piledriver CPUs (FX-8300 series) launches on October 23rd. Piledriver uses the same Resonant Clock Mesh technology as Trinity to cut power usage by 10% by recycling power used for the clock signal.

Autech
Jun 6, 2008

The Brazilian Legkick Machine
I'm surprised at the lack of interest here on SA regarding the Trinity APU coming to the desktop. It seems like a decent budget chip with the potential for crossfire with a discrete GPU a neat option.

If it performs well enough against an IB i3 for less cost, then maybe this could be a good money spinner to keep AMD from completely fading?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
For laptops it's pretty cool, but for desktops we really have to see how the CPU performance turns out. Bulldozer and Llano APUs are stomped all over by SB i3s in terms of CPU performance, and getting fast enough RAM for an A8-3850 to match the gaming performance of an i3+6570 actually equalized their cost as of a few months ago, because anything slower than DDR3-1866 severely bottlenecked the combined needs of the CPU cores and IGP.

AMD isn't looking to undercut the i3, either, saying instead that the A10 would be "competitive." And let's be frank, it'd be a little shocking for a quad-core AMD anything to be competitive with an IB i3.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Depending on how expensive they are, I'm considering updating my Wolfdale C2D HTPC to a Trinity setup for the power benefits. Anandtech has a starter of Trinity in the HTPC world article, but it's not complete due to AMD's weird release schedule for the NDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Autech posted:

I'm surprised at the lack of interest here on SA regarding the Trinity APU coming to the desktop. It seems like a decent budget chip with the potential for crossfire with a discrete GPU a neat option.
As somebody with an A8-3500M with a discrete Radeon 6750M in my laptop, I have to say that it is underwhelming. AMD's drivers just can't do it. I got better performance by flashing a modded bios and disabling the gpu core on my cpu. Crossfire just doesn't work.

• Locked thread