Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Phyresis you are destroying my soul.

If people keep up this exploitive ork ally poo poo they're gonna nerf orks even more :(

(those are my awesome troops choices, you can't have them! I paid for them by giving up all my decent anti-tank weapons forever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Eh, I expect the next round of FAQs (due soon) will fix dumb crap like this. They forgot to update quite a few army-wide bonuses and such. I guess they really rushed those FAQs.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, I guess I should just be happy the FAQs exist at all.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Phyresis posted:

Non-vehicle units only. I wonder if Grey Knights could benefit from some invulnerable saves on their Purifiers and Strike Squads. I'm sure CSM will be able to find something to put cybork on!

It'd look pretty swell on Wraithguard, that's for sure. T6, 3+/5++ yes please.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Phyresis posted:

Eh, I expect the next round of FAQs (due soon) will fix dumb crap like this. They forgot to update quite a few army-wide bonuses and such. I guess they really rushed those FAQs.

I'm worried they won't leave Logan Grimnar's axe untouched like they did in the first round. :ohdear: I mean, he's still a beast in combat otherwise but that flexibility is tremendous.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I would expect that old-style Runic weapon psyker-denial will be nerfed eventually as well. Compared to standard psychic hoods it's just too powerful, but we'll see.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Fine with me as long as they continue to forget about Runes of Warding. Go team GW! Ignore the eldar!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

RoW probably get away with it because this Eldar book is only gonna last until February. GW don't give a poo poo if the game is unbalanced for 6 months because of it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Corrode posted:

RoW probably get away with it because this Eldar book is only gonna last until February. GW don't give a poo poo if the game is unbalanced for 6 months because of it.

I find your claim of February unlikely, though I am curious what rumor you're going off of.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

bhsman posted:

I'm worried they won't leave Logan Grimnar's axe untouched like they did in the first round. :ohdear: I mean, he's still a beast in combat otherwise but that flexibility is tremendous.

GW won't change the Axe Morkai. It's an Unusual Power Weapon, so you just follow the special rules of the weapon. There's no reason for them to do anything to it. I was worried for a little while as well when I saw the FAQs but then I realized that Logan would be fine. He's no Lysander, but he still beats face like a champ.

theironjef posted:

I find your claim of February unlikely, though I am curious what rumor you're going off of.

Current rumors have it as CSM, DA, Eldar, and then Tau. With the new accelerated release schedule, February is the likely month of the release. I could see it pushed back to March or April, though, because it sounds like they are falling a bit behind.

e: btw I agree with you guys that said Leman Russ Demolishers have a use. Artillery tends to get blown up real early in the game. :qq: I'm gonna pick up a Demolisher soon.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 31, 2012

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Phyresis posted:

Non-vehicle units only. I wonder if Grey Knights could benefit from some invulnerable saves on their Purifiers and Strike Squads. I'm sure CSM will be able to find something to put cybork on!

If only BA could ally with them. Sanguinary Guard with Invulnerable saves.

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007

Phyresis posted:

GW won't change the Axe Morkai. It's an Unusual Power Weapon, so you just follow the special rules of the weapon. There's no reason for them to do anything to it. I was worried for a little while as well when I saw the FAQs but then I realized that Logan would be fine. He's no Lysander, but he still beats face like a champ.
I may be misremembering; can't he use it as either a Power Fist or a Frost Axe? Which now doesn't make sense, since they both strike last and choosing Axe just loses you a couple points of Strength?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Fitret posted:

Thoughts on this 1500 Dark Eldar list?

code:
Total Roster Cost: 1499

Fast Attack: Beastmasters (12#, 269 pts)
   1 Baron Sathonyx, 105 pts
   3 Beastmasters, 56 pts = 3 * 12 (base cost 12) + Agoniser 20
      4 Khymerae, 48 pts = 4 * 12
      4 Razorwing Flocks, 60 pts = 4 * 15

Troops: Kabalite Warriors (11#, 185 pts)
   10 Kabalite Warriors, 115 pts = 10 * 9 (base cost 9) + Dark Lance x1 25
      1 Raider, 70 pts = (base cost 60) + Night Shields 10

Troops: Kabalite Warriors (11#, 185 pts)
   10 Kabalite Warriors, 115 pts = 10 * 9 (base cost 9) + Dark Lance x1 25

Troops: Kabalite Warriors (11#, 180 pts)
   10 Kabalite Warriors, 100 pts = 10 * 9 (base cost 9) + Splinter Cannon x1 10
      1 Raider, 80 pts = (base cost 60) + Splinter Racks 10 + Night Shields 10

Troops: Wyches (11#, 200 pts)
   9 Wyches, 108 pts = 9 * 12 (base cost 10 + Haywire Grenades 2)
      1 Hekatrix, 22 pts = (base cost 20 + Haywire Grenades 2)

Fast Attack: Scourges (5#, 130 pts)
   5 Scourges, 130 pts = 5 * 22 (base cost 22) + Haywire Blaster x2 20

Heavy Support: Razorwing Jetfighter (1#, 165 pts)
   1 Razorwing Jetfighter, 165 pts = (base cost 145) + Splinter Cannon x1 10 + Night Shields 10

Heavy Support: Voidraven Bomber (1#, 185 pts)
   1 Voidraven Bomber, 185 pts = (base cost 145) + Shatterfield Missile x3 30 + Night Shields 10

I've yet to be sold on the baron+beasts combo, but that's mainly because I haven't tried it for myself yet. I think you should drop those dark lances on the warrior squads for some splinter cannons or blasters (or both). You're not taking flickerfields, so you need to move to get those jink saves, and that means those dark lances will be snap firing the entire game. As someone else mentioned, your hekatrix really needs an agoniser, and her sisters could use some shardnets or hydra gauntlets. Five scourges are just gonna die to the first thing that looks at them. Your jets could really use some flickerfields, and that voidraven is lopsided without the 4th missile.

What I'd do is drop one of the warrior squads or the wych squad and use the remaining points to bulk up the scourge squad to 10 models and pass around some upgrades.

Chance II posted:

Also, since I'm here, how bad an idea would it be to have an almost entirely Corsair jetpack infantry army?

As cool as those guys look, it'd be a terrible idea. They're very expensive for T3 5+ troops and their lasblasters aren't very good at killing things.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 31, 2012

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

theironjef posted:

I have an ITK and February is the first test of whether he's accurate or not.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Shosuro posted:

I may be misremembering; can't he use it as either a Power Fist or a Frost Axe? Which now doesn't make sense, since they both strike last and choosing Axe just loses you a couple points of Strength?

frost blade

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Shosuro posted:

Power fist or frost BLADE. People are worried they'll change it to frost axe because, well, it's an axe, but that would make it super dumb since you'd be choosing between I1S6 and I1S8 with no other differences.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Phyresis posted:

If you're buying Forgeworld from some ebay seller in Russia or China it's all obviously counterfeit...

This dude was in Mobile or something, so I'd like to imagine a couple rednecks casting tiny mans between batches of meth or something

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

nuncle jimbo posted:

This dude was in Mobile or something, so I'm imagining a couple rednecks casting tiny mans between batches of meth or something

Yeah, someone probably got burned and decided to share the love. This counterfeiting poo poo is a scourge.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

nuncle jimbo posted:

This dude was in Mobile or something, so I'd like to imagine a couple rednecks casting tiny mans between batches of meth or something

Breaking Bad Moonz.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Phyresis posted:

Yeah, someone probably got burned and decided to share the love. This counterfeiting poo poo is a scourge.

I would actually like to see some numbers on how much counterfeiting affects GW and FW's bottom line. Sometimes the stuff confuses me, like how there's always tons of FW dreadnoughts on ebay but no arms. I wonder how many people who would not otherwise have bought one at all get one for cheap on ebay and wind up buying the arms from FW anyway.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Anyone have any experience with Kromlech models? Considering using either of these two items to make Heavy Artillery for DKoK,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150519921890?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150773480666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The 38 would make a pretty good medusa, the 10.5 though seems a little small for a basilisk. If anyone has any opinions or pictures of these next to 40k models that would be awesome!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Dominion posted:

I would actually like to see some numbers on how much counterfeiting affects GW and FW's bottom line. Sometimes the stuff confuses me, like how there's always tons of FW dreadnoughts on ebay but no arms. I wonder how many people who would not otherwise have bought one at all get one for cheap on ebay and wind up buying the arms from FW anyway.

It's probably a negligible amount right now, but they're just getting started. They seem to have a weird selection of models available, which don't necessarily correlate to the most popular Forgeworld models. It's really wack. The real problem is that GW has no way to shut them down. They are all based in Russia or China. They could end up cannibalizing a lot of the hobby.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

PierreTheMime posted:

Breaking Bad Moonz.

Yeah bitch! (Rare Earth) magnets!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Phyresis posted:

It's probably a negligible amount right now, but they're just getting started. They seem to have a weird selection of models available, which don't necessarily correlate to the most popular Forgeworld models. It's really wack. The real problem is that GW has no way to shut them down. They are all based in Russia or China. They could end up cannibalizing a lot of the hobby.

Nah, I think it'll be a wash, just like MP3s didn't kill the music industry and pirated ebooks hasn't killed kindle sales or even real books. On the one hand you do lose sales to counterfeiters, on the other you widen the base of people who suddenly can afford to be in the hobby, and they aren't buying counterfeit EVERYTHING. They buy that FW dreadnought or whatever and then still buy GW stuff anyway.

Whether or not its morally acceptable to do or to support, I don't think it will have an appreciable affect on the hobby as a whole either way.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^ Agree

Phyresis posted:

They could end up cannibalizing a lot of the hobby.

Can really only blame GW for this. If they haven't raised the prices on their "niche" market so high people wouldn't look for cheaper version of the very same product. Counterfeit or not. Remember when 20 guardsmen cost $25? I do.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

pw pw pw posted:

Phyresis you are destroying my soul.

If people keep up this exploitive ork ally poo poo they're gonna nerf orks even more :(

If they do anything it will be a universal rule that applies to the BRB. Something to the effect of "character or wargear effects and abilities cannot affect enemy units unless the entry explicitely states so." That was pretty much what they had in the 5th edition FAQ and I suspect we'll see the same thing for 6th.

I would expect them to also address the "unit of characters" BS that you see with Paladins and Nobz.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Nah, I think it'll be a wash, just like MP3s didn't kill the music industry

You're right that MP3s didn't kill the music industry, but they absolutely kicked the poo poo out of the recording industry.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

PeterWeller posted:

You're right that MP3s didn't kill the music industry, but they absolutely kicked the poo poo out of the record industry.

Its the same industry. Changing the dominant format happens. PIRACY didn't kill the record industry though, records and CDs would have faded in favor of digital even if there was no piracy and it was all legal paid downloads.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
With all this talk of Grotznik, I was reminded that he has rage. I grew excited at the thought of the squad of 6atk Meganobs rampaging across the field of battle with 2+/5++. Then I read my codex, he doesn't have rage. Sic transit somnia.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
Is it worth outflanking my tervigon on some of these new objective missions? I can make it happen with the tyrant's hive commander ability but will the tervigon have the survivability to make it to the next turn and start popping out termagants in this edition? If he's likely to get taken out by focus fire I'd rather not waste the points on HC. Also, where in the rulebook does it mention which psyker schools are open to tyranids? I know biomancy is one but I couldn't find anything that specified each race's fields

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

BadLlama posted:

Can really only blame GW for this. If they haven't raised the prices on their "niche" market so high people wouldn't look for cheaper version of the very same product. Counterfeit or not. Remember when 20 guardsmen cost $25? I do.

I do too, and that's why I have over a
hundred Cadians even though I never make a list that can field them all. I'd be bored, get a desire to build something (as that's my favourite part of this hobby) and mosey down to GW and pick up 20 guardsmen for a few bucks.

As for the piracy thing, maybe if it gets popular enough, it'll give GW some real competition, so they can't do whatever they feel like with prices. Realistically I doubt that, but hey, I can dream.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
I was out of the game briefly, and in that time, I missed the Necron codex release and their impact on the metagame. How good are they? Is the codex powerful enough to have them compete with the other powerhouse recent books?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

mmj posted:

Is it worth outflanking my tervigon on some of these new objective missions? I can make it happen with the tyrant's hive commander ability but will the tervigon have the survivability to make it to the next turn and start popping out termagants in this edition? If he's likely to get taken out by focus fire I'd rather not waste the points on HC. Also, where in the rulebook does it mention which psyker schools are open to tyranids? I know biomancy is one but I couldn't find anything that specified each race's fields

They have access to Biomancy, Telekinesis, and Telepathy. I don't actually have the book in front of me, but with rare exception what you need to know is that they have access to Biomancy (and is pretty much all you should roll for).

A Tervigon with either Iron Arm or Endurance (or both! :haw:) should be survivable enough for an Outflank maneuver, but it depends on your strategy because not having it on the table for 1+ turns can have a significant impact of its own.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I was out of the game briefly, and in that time, I missed the Necron codex release and their impact on the metagame. How good are they? Is the codex powerful enough to have them compete with the other powerhouse recent books?

Necrons are fun, flavorful, and competitive. The Necron codex (aside from some of the fluff text) is likely the best-written rulebook to come along in a long time. Unlike some other armies there are numerous solid lists and you can easily change things up to make them interesting without sacrificing on your army's potential. They're really just great. I don't have a better description.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 31, 2012

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

WhiteWolf123 posted:

It's probably the best written book yet. Very balanced. Few bad units but nothing really overpowered.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Necrons are one of if not the strongest books in the game right now. They're perfectly built for 6th ed and they do everything well. Some duff units but anything on the Barge chassis, both fliers, both Troop choices, Wraiths and Overlords are all excellent. Scarabs and Triarch Stalkers are also decent in a unit built around them and the Royal Court offers tons of great options all over the park that synergise really well with the rest of the list.

If I actually liked the models or fluff in any way and my buddy wasn't playing them exclusively I'd be running them as my first choice for tournament armies at the moment.

sexart
Jan 5, 2001

Damn...I know alotta big words
Hell yes.

Ordered from GC Minis, arrived in less than 3 weeks. HIGHLY recommended if you live in Canada. My god I am going to be busy for the next two months.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Phyresis posted:

2000 points - IG + SM

Primary Detachment: Imperial Guard

HQ

Company Command Squad - 135 points
-Astropath
-dedicated transport: Chimera (multi-laser, hull flamer)

Troops

Infantry Platoon - 495 points

-Platoon Command Squad
-3 x meltagun
-1 x vox caster
-dedicated transport: Chimera (multi-laser, hull flamer)

-Infantry Squad
-1 x flamer
-vox caster

-Infantry Squad
-1 x flamer

-Infantry Squad
-1 x flamer

-Infantry Squad
-1 x flamer

Veteran Squad - 100 points
-3 x meltagun

Fast Attack

Vendetta Gunship - 130 points

Vendetta Gunship - 130 points

Heavy Support

Manticore Rocket Launcher - 160 points

Ordnance Battery: Colossus - 140 points

Fortifications

Skyshield Landing Pad - 75 points

subtotal: 1425 points

Allied Detachment: Space Marines

HQ

Captain Darnath Lysander - 200 points

Troops

Tactical Squad - 220 points
-1 x meltagun
-1 x multi-melta
-1 x Space Marine Sergeant w/ combi-melta, bolt pistol

Fast Attack

Stormtalon Gunship (missiles) - 155 points

total: 2000 points

So yeah. The CCS, Heavy Weapon Squads, Manticore and Colossus obviously sit on the Skyshield. You can barely cram all of them up there, I may have to cut a HWS. The CCS can order a HWS to Bring It Down. I believe they can barely peek over the shorter parts of the walls, but I'll have to check. I don't actually own any Heavy Weapon Squads at the moment. The Astropath is pretty expensive, but I really hate rolling 2s for my Reserves. I did it twice in the last game, and my Dakkajet still didn't come in until turn 4! I rolled 1 twice for that thing. The CCS's Chimera should probably have a heavy bolter but mine all have hull flamers what can you do. I can torch annoying spore mines out of the way or something.

There are 40 Guardsmen with 4 flamers and a vox that usually form the blob for Lysander to go in. Yes, I'm aware he will count as T3 for many purposes but honestly it's not that big of a deal. He'll be chilling relatively far back so that he doesn't get hit by shooting anyway. Charging the blob is a fool's errand: taking 4 flamers and a billion lasgun shots in Overwatch is bad. I kind of want to free up points to give the Sergeants power axes. I guess if I cut a HWS and pick up the last Infantry Squad I have points, and I can free some up somewhere else.

The Veteran Squad rides in one of the Vendettas and probably dies in a fiery explosion. The Vendettas are obviously Outflanking.

The Stormtalon Escorts whichever Vendetta comes in first. This way it gets to Outflank as well, and there's slightly less chance of it failing to come into play.

Well, your first problem is that I don't actually see any HWSs on this list. I'm also not sure what the Vets with the Meltas are supposed to do, since they don't have any way of getting around. Finally, I'm not sure the Skyshield idea will work as well as you hope it will. Sure, the 4+ Invuln is great, but a single Basilisk shell could potentially destroy a good chunk of your army in a single shot. Still, it's an interesting list, and I'm looking forward to hearing how well it does.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Dominion posted:

Its the same industry. Changing the dominant format happens. PIRACY didn't kill the record industry though, records and CDs would have faded in favor of digital even if there was no piracy and it was all legal paid downloads.

It's my bad for not making it more clear that I wasn't talking about the effects of piracy, but going digital is not just another format change.

The recording industry is not the same thing as the music industry. The term specifically refers to the major record companies. Digital destroyed the business model they relied on for fifty years. You don't need them to produce and distribute music anymore now that you can produce a record in your dorm room and distribute it for free over the net. They were the middle-man between the artist and the public, and MP3s cut them out.

E: This is a dumb tangent. I don't think ebay pirates are going to hurt GW that much; I just was compelled to talk about how MP3s killed Geffen.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Corrode posted:

If I actually liked the models or fluff in any way and my buddy wasn't playing them exclusively I'd be running them as my first choice for tournament armies at the moment.

This is my problem with Necrons, I just can't like them for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lungboy posted:

This is my problem with Necrons, I just can't like them for some reason.

They're just boring as gently caress. I love everything else and I eventually want to have a workable army for every faction, but Necrons just don't appeal to me in any way really.

• Locked thread