Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Miss Indy posted:

Sorry for the double post, but thought you guys would dig this... Bailey's breeder has a brand new litter of Pembrokes! They were born early yesterday. Here's the Ustream- http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tasha-s-puppies

Apparently, Tasha is Bailey's sister's daughter.. so Bailey is the uncle to mom, and great uncle to the babies! Hah!

What times will it be online? (it's midnight almost, been up since 7am with little sleep so forgive me if it says)

I can't wait until I move to a house so I can finally have my cardi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Check back tomorrow during the day. She's in Central Time (Missouri), but the cam might be spotty as she's not been sleeping so she can watch the babies :3

bakahentai
Nov 3, 2003
kuso atama
Hair...hair everywhere...

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
awesome a corgi cam! I hope I can catch it live.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Miss Indy posted:

I might be able to on the 19th. We've been herding on Saturdays, and doing occasional Sunday open herding sessions. But I'll try and keep the 19th free. :)

Did we decide between Marymoor and Magnuson? Either's good, though I liked Magnuson for the swimming (well, paddling). Also should we shoot for noon?

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

ButWhatIf posted:

Did we decide between Marymoor and Magnuson? Either's good, though I liked Magnuson for the swimming (well, paddling). Also should we shoot for noon?

I prefer Magnuson for the swimming and because it's fenced. Either works though!

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Hey guys. It's been a while since I have posted here. Been very busy at my placement, thus the only free time I had was devoted to my fluffy friend.

It's summer now though and I have a question about some corgilicious swimming activities.

I have not visited the nearby lake often this summer so far, but the two times we went, Guinness would not swim. (which is very expectable of course)
What were your tricks to teach your friend swimming?
I tried various technique ranging from running in and out of the water myself to taking a ball and dropping it increasingly further into water.

Also, are lifevests a definite necessity for Corgis since their large weight for their body dimmensions?

Guess I should somewhat recent (a month ago) picture of my Cardigan flufffluff. :)
[IMG][/IMG]

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This sounds really cruel in retrospect but we would just take Butters and throw him into the water and make him swim back. This was on the shore at a lake next to our local dog park though, so one of us would wade out into about a foot or two of water, set him down, and let him figure it out. He got the hang of it really quickly and now he actually loves swimming. We've never bothered to get him a life vest since we only really take him to swim in those shallows, but if we went on a boating trip or something we'd definitely pick one up for him.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would definitely put Taziki and Pita in vests if they were going to a lake. Now we take them to a small creek and Pita just sort of does her own thing and waddles around (like always), and Taziki will go through an obstacle to try and retrieve a tennis ball so we just throw that up stream and she hops right in.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Actually, Khelmar (PI mod extraordinaire) taught Zeke to swim at a SA doggy get-together we did many years back. If I'm remembering right, he just picked Zeke up, waded out about knee high or so with him, and then plopped him in. Zeke would swim back to shore... rinse, repeat. Zeke got good at jumping in when we started chucking tennis balls and Dino Cuz toys in the water. Zeke does not need a life vest, it seems that the tail acts as a buoyant rudder, helping him to stay afloat.

Bailey, on the other hand.. no tail, and he sinks butt first. He starts to panic and flail around, and there's been times where we thought we were going to have to jump in after him to save him from drowning. He wears a life vest when we are going out in a boat or if he's going out into the water now. He jumps, but always hesitates, and is always eager to get back onto dry land. Luckily those dog lifejackets have a handle on the top so you can just lift them out of the water.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
I got one of those vests for my corgi. I was testing it out on him and lifted him by the handle. He is normally a very crazy energetic dog, so when he went limp as he became airborne it was like he gave up on life, poor thing! I set him down and he later peed on the life vest.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Guess whose birthday it is!

:toot:

angrykid
Apr 9, 2006

My puppy progeny will prove themselves well-trained, classy, and dignified.
Just an fyi, there's a baby corgi stream on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS8QI-j8yb8

It looks like a welping box with the pups on a warming plate. And they are twitchy widdle potato babies!

Best comment: "They are sleeping on a speaker. It's whispering instructions on how to destroy the human race. Just wait. We're in for the cutest Armageddon in a few years time"

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Golden-i posted:

Guess whose birthday it is!

:toot:

:toot: Happy Birthday :3:

And Corra has wormed her Corgi self into my older dog Loki's heart :swoon:

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

RurouNNy posted:

:toot: Happy Birthday :3:

And Corra has wormed her Corgi self into my older dog Loki's heart :swoon:

No poo poo? Another corgi named Loki?

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

abaddonis posted:

No poo poo? Another corgi named Loki?

Nah, Loki is the border collie mix on the left. Corra is the corgi (the one begrudgingly receiving kisses). Loki is a horribly popular name now though ;_;

I just picked up a life jacket for Corra the other day for our lake house vacation later this month. I went down to the pond behind our building and it was totally dry. Corra didn't seem to mind the jacket at all at least!

Anyone else have corgis in life jackets? She loves swimming and I am afraid she'll swim out too far :ohdear: And she definitely needs one when we go out on a boat.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Welp, we're not going to the picnic tomorrow. Neige threw up about 9 times in 12 hours, so we've got a vet appointment in a couple hours. I think we'll just have a nice, casual weekend of relaxation instead, which we both sorely need. I've been pulling 10-12 hour workdays all week, and she needs to let her little tummy feel less icky.

A recent summary of how we have been feeling:

Bonus: Neige expresses her opinion of the Whidbey ferry.

Windy!

Not impressed.

Seriously, why are we doing this?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

ButWhatIf posted:

Welp, we're not going to the picnic tomorrow. Neige threw up about 9 times in 12 hours, so we've got a vet appointment in a couple hours. I think we'll just have a nice, casual weekend of relaxation instead, which we both sorely need. I've been pulling 10-12 hour workdays all week, and she needs to let her little tummy feel less icky.

A recent summary of how we have been feeling:

Bonus: Neige expresses her opinion of the Whidbey ferry.

Windy!

Not impressed.

Seriously, why are we doing this?

Keep us updated and hopefully it isn't anything serious.

Loki was having issues with vomiting. The problem was, it was intermittent and no pattern to it... until it dawned on me that almost all of his thrown up kibble didn't look chewed at all. We got one of those special bowls with the prongs in the bowl that helps prevent speedy eating. He hasn't had any issues since.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

abaddonis posted:

Keep us updated and hopefully it isn't anything serious.

Loki was having issues with vomiting. The problem was, it was intermittent and no pattern to it... until it dawned on me that almost all of his thrown up kibble didn't look chewed at all. We got one of those special bowls with the prongs in the bowl that helps prevent speedy eating. He hasn't had any issues since.

Yeah, she's pretty well back to normal today. She probably *could* go to the picnic, but since I bailed my husband claimed the car to get some work done, so no Woodinville for me today. Bummer all around, but I needed the ability to watch all the televised Olympic equestrian events rest anyway.

I might have to get those bowls, for both food and water. Water's worse; when she gulps it, it's 100% guaranteed to come back up. Food's less prone to regurgitation, thankfully.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Check out this adorable video of a corgi going crazy at a water park-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GwtGF386Xs

So freaking cute! I am pretty sure that is herding behavior.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Orbit suddenly got his grownup face. I don't know how that happened! I guess we have a dog and not a puppy now:

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
If you ever miss puppy Orbit again, I can post Guinness' pictures anytime. He's still a pup and almost a copy to what Orbit looks like.

How old is he now?

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Break Fast posted:

If you ever miss puppy Orbit again, I can post Guinness' pictures anytime. He's still a pup and almost a copy to what Orbit looks like.

How old is he now?

Yes! Post all the Guinness photos!!!

Orbit is almost 16 months.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
That's probably the saddest part about getting a shelter dog - I missed what puppy Tycho looked like. :( The upside of shelter dogs, of course, is pretty much everything else.

Every time Tycho needs to go outside he's started just looking at me like this:

(sorry for she gross couch, he's been shedding like mad all summer)

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
If I were to guess, every poster in this thread has came into contact with couch looking like that.
He's beautiful. :)

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Thanks!

Happy puppy!

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

Cardigan powah!
Peeking through my pictures folder of G has reminded me how I have been slacking on taking pictures of him throughout the summer. I'll most definitely regret it later on.

Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow at the park. :)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I just had a corgi/dachshund mix in one of my classes last night. He was so well behaved and very quick to learn. Great owners too. Wish I could have taken some pics to share.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Oh, the basic training classes.
I'm going through literally hell right now.

The problem I have right now, according to our trainer, is to keep Guinness' attention on me. He executes my commands, when I manage to grab his attention pretty good and learns them quickly, but he's CONSTANTLY trying to get to other dogs, whether to play with them or to bark like mad at bigger dogs he's afraid of.

I know it takes time. It's been only 3.5 times thus far I have went there, but hell if it's not hard. Barking, gasping, his eyes get red after 30 minutes, he ignores treats after 1h30mins... He's having everything, but a good time.

Sorry for rambling.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

It sounds like you may benefit more from private lessons to lay the groundwork before you move on to group lessons. How long are your classes? 1hr 30 mins is a HUUUUGEly long class for a dog -- perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

Why are other dogs more exciting than you? Are you not as fun and engaging as other dogs? What might you be able to do to start upping your value to your dog? Better, more varied treats? More exciting tone of voice? Rewarding with play? Can your instructor set up some sort of barrier between him and the other dogs so he's not able to stare at anyone? Can you add distance? Can you work in a corner? In another room?

Consider having him give you attention before he gets anything he wants. Don't ask for it (THIS IS IMPORTANT) - just wait him out and let him see that the quickest way for him to get something he wants is to look to you. Work slowly, especially to start.

It sounds like you should probably be offering reinforcement roughly once per second for good behaviour - most beginners do not reward often enough. Are you rewarding him when he's quietly sitting beside you? Or do you ignore him for the most part and only react when he's lunging, barking, and pulling away? I see loads of our clients forget to reward the dog when it's being good it's so easy to ignore.

Just a few quick thoughts on your issues.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

a life less posted:

It sounds like you may benefit more from private lessons to lay the groundwork before you move on to group lessons. How long are your classes? 1hr 30 mins is a HUUUUGEly long class for a dog -- perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

Why are other dogs more exciting than you? Are you not as fun and engaging as other dogs? What might you be able to do to start upping your value to your dog? Better, more varied treats? More exciting tone of voice? Rewarding with play? Can your instructor set up some sort of barrier between him and the other dogs so he's not able to stare at anyone? Can you add distance? Can you work in a corner? In another room?

Consider having him give you attention before he gets anything he wants. Don't ask for it (THIS IS IMPORTANT) - just wait him out and let him see that the quickest way for him to get something he wants is to look to you. Work slowly, especially to start.

It sounds like you should probably be offering reinforcement roughly once per second for good behaviour - most beginners do not reward often enough. Are you rewarding him when he's quietly sitting beside you? Or do you ignore him for the most part and only react when he's lunging, barking, and pulling away? I see loads of our clients forget to reward the dog when it's being good it's so easy to ignore.
Yeah. At first it was 1 hour session. Now it's 2 hours with 10 minute pause in the middle.

I might try using different kind of treats next Tuesday. But as far as myself, I used to make a total fool of myself, which I don't mind, doing silly voices and sounds to get his attention. It worked fine in the beginning, but I guess it became boring after a while.
The way the place is set up is a blank room with a mirror on one side. Dog owners with their dogs move around in a circle and do variety of stuff (stop/sit/sleep/etc). He really enjoys running beside me, so it's fine when we are moving about, but once we stop and do exercises while standing in a line it starts to become hard.
I have tried going to the corner and standing in front of him, thus blocking the view to bigger dogs, which works somewhat effectively, but I cannot really do it forever.

Last time I went I felt like I'm even giving too much treats to him.
Let's say for a command sleep, which is like sitting, but with the belly on ground. (I honestly don't know the English terms for this).
At first I have to get his attention by using a treat - showing it to him.
Then I move it slightly over his head, as if he had to back up to get it.
Once he starts to make a motion to sit, I say sit and give him a piece of a treat. And another one.
Then I show another one almost on the ground in front of him, to make him have to reach for it, thus making him sit down/"sleep". He gets that, I give him another one and another one for being a good boy.
Then after 5 seconds I give one or two more.

That's about 7-10 pieces for each exercise.
Note: I might have glanced over some details of how I'm taught to do it, but that's not the point this time.

I really dislike the fact that it's 2 hours now. Guinness looses his attention after first over and I myself get more and more annoyed, thus making it harder for both of us.

Thing is, even though the trainer lady only speaks Russian and I understand about 3 words in a sentence, it's considered a good place and is on a good timetable for me.
I considered a private trainer at one point, but they are quite hard to come by here and if you manage to find one, they charge a fortune.

I really hope I'm doing what's best for the little guy and not just torturing him by going there. Hopefully it gets easier on both of us, although if I think about it, I couldn't care less for my state of mind as long as he's happy.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Break Fast posted:

Yeah. At first it was 1 hour session. Now it's 2 hours with 10 minute pause in the middle.

Two hours, especially for such a young guy, is so long! ALL gave you really good advice and things to think about, but I also had some similar problems with my Corgi in her last class. When she was a puppy, it was much easier. When we got to level II obedience classes, I found that I had to really tire her out before her class or it would be much harder to keep her attention. I started taking her to the dog park before class for between one and two hours and the difference was amazing. She was still energetic and happy about the class, but she wasn't as interested in having to see the other people and dogs in the class. How much exercise are you giving Guinnenss before class? Secondly, I found that getting Corra to do some down stays/sit stays/favorite tricks while the instructor was talking (sooooo boring for Corra) - she had something to think about and I kept reinforcing her for being quiet and paying attention to me. Good luck, he's a smart boy, you'll get there!

Need more pictures of Guinness! - Here's Corra playing fetch:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That seems like a lot of treats for down (that's what we call it) and two hours is a very long time, not just for the dogs, but the humans!

In my classes, I'll ask for a sit and reward them for that. For learning the down behavior, I lure by placing my baited hand on the dogs nose and slowly moving it down so that the dog's head follows and prompts him into the down position. Once his elbows and tummy is on the ground, I mark the behavior with a yes and treat. Staying in that position is a whole different behavior.

I'd give him the stay command, count to five (or higher/lower depending on the dog's tolerance) give him the treat and then the release command. Three treats for three behaviors.

The treats should be pretty small too, like the size of a pea for a normal sized dog.

Why did it change to 2 hours? That just seems very excessive.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Dogs work best in 5-10 minute periods. Our classes are 45 minutes, and by about the half-hour mark most of the dogs are showing signs of being worn out. The longer classes are for the handlers more than the dogs.

Consider bringing a crate to get him to relax a bit between exercises if your classes are going to be that long. He sounds overstimulated. Wearing him out a bit before class and ensuring that he's particularly hungry will work in your favour. Also make sure that your treats aren't too big. For a dog the size of a Corgi I would be providing treats no bigger than my pinky fingernail unless it was some sort of jackpot.

Also, once a dog knows a behaviour you really need to ask yourself WHY you're feeding the dog. In our more advanced classes we suggest only rewarding the dog for new or improved behaviour. That way the dogs are always having to strive a little harder to earn their keep. If you can get solid eye contact for 1 second, sometimes wait until 2 seconds to mark and reward. Then start to stretch it to 3, etc. Another tactic is to ping-pong your reinforcement schedule. As in sometimes ask for 3 behaviours in a row before rewarding, then 1, then 10, then 3, then 5, then 3... And every once in a while offer a jackpot reward for a relatively simple behaviour. It's a good way to make yourself unpredictable and engaging to your pup.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I think Guinness and Orbit are the same dog, because he was the same way in his classes! It was also really hard to find a happy medium for him-- some stuff was WAY TOO EASY AND BORING and other stuff was OMG SO HARD I CAN NEVER DO THIS WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME I DON'T UNDERSTAND. I'd like to do another class with him but he just wasn't having any fun at the classes (except the old agility class that is now an hour away from us) so I opted to do training from home.

Now that he's almost fully grown I might take him back to the old agility place. the one near us is SO SERIOUS and had like 20 dogs in one room and it was an hour and a half session and was much more about building a solid foundation for serious competition than it was building teamwork between the dog and handler and having fun.

*edit: have a derp

Plus_Infinity fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 9, 2012

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Two hours is wayyyy too long of a training session, especially for a young dog. The trick of training is that you want to positively build your knowledge, which makes the dog WANT to work for you. Sessions should be short (10-15 mins), and should ALWAYS end on a positive. Don't end your training sessions on a negative note (IE him being overstimulated, and you being frustrated.)

When I'm doing my herding training, I have both dogs ready to go. One dog is out in the field with me for 10 minutes, and then I swap out with the other dog. If one dog is having trouble with a concept and is getting frazzled, I swap what we are doing to something they know and enjoy, and then have them leave the field after a few minutes of succeeding at the other activity.

For example.. I've been trying to work on "curving" Zeke out more so he doesn't cut the sheep so frequently and make them scatter. It's a hard concept for him, he just wants to get to the sheep as quickly as possible and doesn't want to do the extra legwork. Once he starts to show signs of frustration, I open a gate and switch him to moving the sheep from pasture to pasture. He LOVES that work.. it's very clear what his expectation is and he's good at it. I let him move the stock from field to field for a few minutes, then call him back to me, praisepraisepraise, pull him off the field and switch dogs.

You just need to learn to watch your dog very closely for signs of frustration/anxiety/exhaustion, and then act appropriately when you see them teetering on the edge. There was one day we drove all the way out to the field, and it was real hot out. He was out there for about 15 minutes before he started to show signs of heat exhaustion (buggy eyes, panting real hard). I immediately pulled him off the stock, cooled him down, and threw in the towel for the day. Be your dog's advocate, don't push too hard.. it's counterproductive to your desired end result.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Break Fast posted:

Last time I went I felt like I'm even giving too much treats to him.
Let's say for a command sleep, which is like sitting, but with the belly on ground. (I honestly don't know the English terms for this).
At first I have to get his attention by using a treat - showing it to him.
Then I move it slightly over his head, as if he had to back up to get it.
Once he starts to make a motion to sit, I say sit and give him a piece of a treat. And another one.
Then I show another one almost on the ground in front of him, to make him have to reach for it, thus making him sit down/"sleep". He gets that, I give him another one and another one for being a good boy.
Then after 5 seconds I give one or two more.

That's about 7-10 pieces for each exercise.

Yeeeaah, that's not training so much as bribery. Treat-based training can end up as bribery unless you are fading the lure right quick. It sounds to me like you haven't faded the lure, and now you have become irrelevant to your dog unless you are actively waving a treat around. He's taught you well, that's for sure! It's time to fade the lure, start stepping up the criteria for the behavior by adding some D's (distance, duration, distraction, direction, and disappear) one at a time. I'd also recommend asking for behaviors before most life rewards as well, like a down-stay before any meals, a sit and wait before any walks, a wait before throwing the ball, etc. Except pets. Pets are always free (because honestly they aren't worth enough to a dog to make a NILIF out of it, and demanding a behavior before every social bonding activity can damage your relationship with the dog)!

An awesome way to increase relevance is to play hide-and-seek. Next time Guinness is distracted around the house by a toy or interesting smell, grab a jar of baby food and go hide somewhere. Call him to come over and make him find you (start with an easy hiding place), and when he does, give him 2-ish licks from the jar. Builds recall and makes your dog have to look for you rather than you always looking for him. Neige and I do this at the dog park, and it is great fun to have her scouting through the bushes for me.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Just woke up and glanced over the responses to my problem.
I have to go on a 4 hour trip in a minute, but I just wanted to say that I really, really, really, REALLY appreciate the input you guys are giving me.

I will go through all of them on the way and post afterwards. Thank you a lot.
Just wanted to post this so it doesn't look like I'm ignoring the response or something.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
Back from the trip, unfortunately w/o the little guy.
Nevertheless I made an appointment to different dog trainer for private session next week. He works with police dogs on day to day basis, so if I had to guess, he should be good.

Gonna take your advises into account when going there next week regarding the amount of treats and other stuff.

Onto more fun stuff, I took some pictures today just as I returned home and went to park with him.

- Alright Guinness. Haven't taken any pictures of your hawt rear end in a while, let's do something serious and mature.
- Ooookeeeyyyyy. *bwraaaarghh* *shrbuuuurllll*

- Dog, seriously! The faster we do this, the sooner we can run in circles and stuff.
- Fine. Somewhere along lines of this?

- Yes, good, I can work with this.
- Something dreamy? Serious thinking mode maybe?

- Great, good boy!
- Lalala-lala-lalaaa!

- *sigh*
- OH LOOK, BIRDIESSS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Oh gosh, I love him so much. He really does look like orbit! You take way better photos than I can though! His personality really comes through

• Locked thread