Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Every time one of these DLC packs come out, I get flashbacks to my friend telling me that he returned Forza 4 because it wasn't aspergers enough for him compared to GT5. That Turn 10 didn't have a passion for automobiles and racing.

His loss.

Can't wait for this pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The only cars left that I really want are the classic Mini, 2012 Corvette Grand-Am Prototype, and Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. Other than that, a whole bunch of missing Ferrari's and Porsches I guess.
Add the BMW Z1 to that list.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Bentai posted:

Every time one of these DLC packs come out, I get flashbacks to my friend telling me that he returned Forza 4 because it wasn't aspergers enough for him compared to GT5.

This baffles me because when I played GT5 I never once felt any need to go in depth with any tuning adjustments, because usually just adding racing tires and suspension was enough to make every single car drive perfectly. Hell they even simplified a lot of the options so instead of actual values you can just have a slider going from 1-10 or such.

With Forza I have my laptop out with an Excel spreadsheet and detailed notes about adjustments to fine tune just about everything, even if it's just some throwaway project for a silly one-off F-class race. Mainly because I actually like wringing that last .1 seconds out of my cars now that I know what I'm doing, but still if that's not :spergin: as hell I don't know what is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, GT5's car tuning and upgrade system is very basic. FM4's is pretty indepth compared to most racing sims, and even matches some of the more realistic PC sims.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
I'm surprised we didn't get a new viper race car, just the road version. Maybe on an ALMS race weekend later this year?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Scirocco Griffon posted:

This baffles me because when I played GT5 I never once felt any need to go in depth with any tuning adjustments, because usually just adding racing tires and suspension was enough to make every single car drive perfectly. Hell they even simplified a lot of the options so instead of actual values you can just have a slider going from 1-10 or such.

I never even got that far in GT5, FM3s streamlined menus and instant accessibility made me hate it. Stuff like not being able to buy specific cars because my level was too low, then by the time id reached the level the drat car was gone from the used car lot. Or having to click through about 20 ok/confirm buttons to upgrade your car and more time spent looking at loading screens than racing.

I mean I know they changed a fair few things with patches over time but the initial release was so dissapointing I havent touched it. Maybe one day i'll get my ps3 back and give it a go again at some point.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

a big fwiggen terd posted:

I never even got that far in GT5, FM3s streamlined menus and instant accessibility made me hate it. Stuff like not being able to buy specific cars because my level was too low, then by the time id reached the level the drat car was gone from the used car lot. Or having to click through about 20 ok/confirm buttons to upgrade your car and more time spent looking at loading screens than racing.

I mean I know they changed a fair few things with patches over time but the initial release was so dissapointing I havent touched it. Maybe one day i'll get my ps3 back and give it a go again at some point.

All of the complaints you just listed are still there after all the patching.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Tyree posted:

I'm surprised we didn't get a new viper race car, just the road version. Maybe on an ALMS race weekend later this year?

Maybe. I figured we wouldn't get it in game before it had actually run a few actual races since I think they have to license it through the racing team as it's not a factory-built road car. Plus all the licensing negotiations with the sponsors on the car and getting access to it to model it properly and whatnot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
New game mode: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19169577/2012/08/01/troopers-chase-after-smart-car-arrest-driver-on-home-driveway#.UBlo1D94LyI.twitter

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

This is why we need a Ford Crown Victoria. Or at least the Mercury Marauder w/ police package aero.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well there's the Charger with the police pushbars.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Awesome racing last night. I'm really getting the hang of simulation steering after turning my wheel down to 270 degrees and learning how to tune better for grip.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I finally got my replacement fanatec and had some time to try and run some 'proper' hot laps.

I made an F-200 MG and ran a bit around maple valley short. If I remember corretly the #1 spot in the leaderboard is still 4 seconds faster than me, but I still felt good about my lap and my car. Why do I love F-Class so much?

Would any of you pro driver dudes care to check out my laps and my cars to see where I might improve both in driving and in tuning?

Also I dropped out of one of the goon clubs but I'd love to get back in one if there is any space. I'm on the east coast.

Gamertag: ScreaminCheese

edit: I'd really like to get in on the regular races whether it's GTCC or whatever.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 2, 2012

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

YF19pilot posted:

This is why we need a Ford Crown Victoria. Or at least the Mercury Marauder w/ police package aero.

I've been claiming this for ages. gently caress you T10, I wanted my real CVPI in the game :(

Still tho, Continental... That's pretty awesome.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GutBomb posted:

Awesome racing last night. I'm really getting the hang of simulation steering after turning my wheel down to 270 degrees and learning how to tune better for grip.

Are you racing with GTCC now?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Are you racing with GTCC now?

Yes. He is one of us.

Also, I had what seemed to be a great build of a Shelby Cobra last night. Very smooth and stable unless there was some kind of bump (or Bentron tapping my fender) and it just got confused as to whether it wanted to spin out or keep going straight. I spun out myself twice just from touching the curbs at Road Atlanta.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 2, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's for the better, he seems to be a good middle of the pack racer. I don't know what's up with you AUGR retards, but you got a lot of retards in your group who join games and don't have a mic so they don't know what the hell is going on. Some guy joined for cat and mouse and just sat in the lobbby doing nothing then didn't seem to understand the point of cat and mouse.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I think I'd like to try to run with you GTCC guys sometime. If you'd have me.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

YF19pilot posted:

Yes. He is one of us.

Also, I had what seemed to be a great build of a Shelby Cobra last night. Very smooth and stable unless there was some kind of bump (or Bentron tapping my fender) and it just got confused as to whether it wanted to spin out or keep going straight. I spun out myself twice just from touching the curbs at Road Atlanta.

Too stiff on the roll bars.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I miss out on a few weeks of GTCC due to internet issues, and now it's become the Next Big Thing to hang with the GTCC crew. Daaaang, it's barely been a month and I miss you guys :(

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CaseFace McGee posted:

I miss out on a few weeks of GTCC due to internet issues, and now it's become the Next Big Thing to hang with the GTCC crew. Daaaang, it's barely been a month and I miss you guys :(
I never saw this coming, CaseFace; but it's not the same GTCC'ing without you. I mean, it's the same that I suck. But more people seem interested in the club and I dunno what to do. I wasn't there for the two group days, but I'm pretty sure what group I'd be in.

Miss you, CF.

Picture dump in the works. No promises tonight.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 3, 2012

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

YF19pilot posted:

Yes. He is one of us.

I spun my Cobra twice as well, the first time all by myself off the last corner, got a little too much of the inside bumper and had to go into emergency maneuvers and decide between the tire-wall or the concrete wall and decided the tire wall was the better choice. Second time was me getting a little risky passing Frago on the inside just before the downhill esses but spun at the top of the hill when my tires lost traction on the bumper strip when he forced me off the track, I like to think he didn't know I was there but the Cobra has a pretty drat noticeable exhaust note :argh:

Oh great another modern mustang

I know this is from the 31st but I just have to say this; are you being all angsty about the fact a American manufacturer built a car that costs a fraction of it's competition that it absolutely destroys while using a live-rear axle? I mean pick on the Camaro because that poo poo is slushbox only with no real manual trasmission to haul it's overweight rear end around but the Boss 302 is a truly incredible car and as close of a driver's car as you can get nowadays in the world of bloat and safety equipment.

Tanz-Kommandant fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 3, 2012

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
When are they gonna pull their head out of their rear end and put in the S4.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I know this is from the 31st but I just have to say this; are you being all angsty about the fact a American manufacturer built a car that costs a fraction of it's competition that it absolutely destroys while using a live-rear axle? I mean pick on the Camaro because that poo poo is slushbox only with no real manual trasmission to haul it's overweight rear end around but the Boss 302 is a truly incredible car and as close of a driver's car as you can get nowadays in the world of bloat and safety equipment.

Wow, people seem to get realy upset when I dont like certain cars in a videogame.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander

Wow, people seem to get realy upset when I unjustifiably dont like certain cars in a videogame.

FTFY in case it wasn't clear. Also not upset, confused; you never provided a reason for disliking the Boss 302 other than "oh look another Mustang" but that isn't really making an intelligent observation it's just being pedantically edgy. Haters gonna hate:tipshat:

On a related note I like pretty much everything with this new car pack except the FR-S should really be a BRZ because gently caress Scion and the Lexus is not part of the -F family and therefore is already doomed to being poo poo. Otherwise the most solid car-pack of the game in my opinion. I'm also fairly interested to see the ZL1 and Boss 302's PI values, which will probably be fairly high considering those are practically factory race cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The 302 will probably be a bit above whatever the last M3 is. Since I don't think they have the newest M3.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

FTFY in case it wasn't clear. Also not upset, confused; you never provided a reason for disliking the Boss 302 other than "oh look another Mustang" but that isn't really making an intelligent observation it's just being pedantically edgy. Haters gonna hate:tipshat:

On a related note I like pretty much everything with this new car pack except the FR-S should really be a BRZ because gently caress Scion and the Lexus is not part of the -F family and therefore is already doomed to being poo poo. Otherwise the most solid car-pack of the game in my opinion. I'm also fairly interested to see the ZL1 and Boss 302's PI values, which will probably be fairly high considering those are practically factory race cars.

Well its not like i'll ever see one of these 'destroying' me at a trackday in the uk anyway, maybe if I ever manage to make it to the ring I guess. Or that it would be cheaper for me to buy an m3 than to import a limited edition mustang and have to put up with lhd. I guess if I lived in america i'd be all over this but I dont.

Also the FR-S should be a GT86.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Mustangs are for girls.

Fat girls. :smug:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I guess if I lived in america i'd be all over this but I dont.

Also the FR-S should be a GT86.

That's one of the reasons I love forza, it's USDM focus. Even Japanese cars like the eunos roadster or evo are shown as their left hand drive cousins. After 10 years of gran turismo (which you can still play, if it bothers you that much.) It's nice for the american players.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Continuing the RHD/LHD tangent:

When I worked at the golf course (3rd best in the state, behind a PGA course and its sister course on the same grounds :smug:) one of our old workhorse hauling Cushmans - think a Gator but with turf tires - was left hand drive, but the stick was on the outside edge of the vehicle so it shifted like a right hand drive. I had no trouble at all adapting to the backwards shift pattern immediately. Top Gear guests seem to have an immense amount of trouble figuring out right-hand drive when they're not used to it. Am I just the next Stig, or are they really bad drivers?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

That's one of the reasons I love forza, it's USDM focus. Even Japanese cars like the eunos roadster or evo are shown as their left hand drive cousins. After 10 years of gran turismo (which you can still play, if it bothers you that much.) It's nice for the american players.

I'm pretty sure only the NA Miata/mx5/eunos is a usdm car and same goes for the evo 10. Most of the japanese cars are rhd apart from a few region specific ones.

Honestly I can put up with a few more american cars because the overall vaiety forza has is p drat good anyway.
I'm still suprised at the amount of slow rear end old british roadsters they added. The only thing GT has is less common jdm stuff like the honda beat, toyota chaser etc and a few racecars (jag xjr-12, nissan r92cp) id like. Apart from that GT5 can gently caress off with its 9000 skylines upscaled from a psp game.

I've never realy had a problem shifting in LHD cars, for the first couple of minutes it feels a tad awkward but if your competent with a manual box you should be able to adapt.

I bet most of the american celebs drive autos mostly.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

I bet most of the american celebs drive autos mostly.

Nope. That said, yes they suck, because I figured out how to drive a RHD Skyline in Australia in like 30 seconds, and that's before I drove manual. And because I know everything. The internet.

edit: I meant on the show, not personally. Hell, half of those people probably have drivers.

silverbullitt850 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 3, 2012

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

silverbullitt850 posted:

Nope. That said, yes they suck, because I figured out how to drive a RHD Skyline in Australia in like 30 seconds, and that's before I drove manual. And because I know everything. The internet.

Really about half of the Americans that go on top gear say they drive an automatic at home, most of them at least try the RHD manual, only very few of them actually drive the automatic on the show.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I spun my Cobra twice as well, the first time all by myself off the last corner, got a little too much of the inside bumper and had to go into emergency maneuvers and decide between the tire-wall or the concrete wall and decided the tire wall was the better choice. Second time was me getting a little risky passing Frago on the inside just before the downhill esses but spun at the top of the hill when my tires lost traction on the bumper strip when he forced me off the track, I like to think he didn't know I was there but the Cobra has a pretty drat noticeable exhaust note :argh:

Sorry man! I didn't know I did that to you. I'm working on being more aware of who's around me, but still have difficulty sometimes.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Crosspost from GTCC.

Wednesday night 8/1 was A Class on the Road to R1. The track was Road Atlanta full.

quote:

(Partial) Picture Dump for Friday!

I couldn't stay up late enough to get all the pics I wanted, so this is all I have for now:

Individual cars at lift-off (I don't know if these are in any particular order):

Bentron

AndrewCoja

DarkPhoenix104

DriverZiploc

FauxPas (stylin')

Frago Bren and RainWave

GutBomb303

Yours, truly Captain Howdy 0

Lightg1obe and Synmoo

Llama Slayer

Phancypants and SwedeSpeed

Sockington

...aaand then I had to hit the bed because it was a worknight, so I only had time to grab three action shots. I will try to correct this soon:

I hope to add more this weekend.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Never change, Howdy. I love the weekly video/photo dump.

Also since it's not in the shots Howdy posted (well, I'm in the back of uphill.jpg), this is the NSX I was running that night:

It's based off of this, though I don't know why I did it.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Is forza 4 actually hard because in 2 and 3 you just slap expensive parts on a crappy car and turn every assist off and still come in first place because you're racing against really bad AI that doesn't adapt or even move away from the racing line

I wanna race some cars but i want the game to punch me in the mouth and say "learn to car" instead of "if you can handle the simulation at all you win"

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
16 player lobbies make for some seriously awesome lap 1 action shots :3:

Also note to self; use more Neon green on my next paint job. Thanks for the stylin' mention, Howdy :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh no, Forza 4 is incredibly easy against the A.I. The single player isn't challenging at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I said come in! posted:

Ooh no, Forza 4 is incredibly easy against the A.I. The single player isn't challenging at all.

I don't know. The AI gets stupid sometimes and that's when it gets hard. For example, R3 DTM cars, and the AI behind me forgets he has brakes when entering a slow corner...

• Locked thread