Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
The sad thing about Jacen is in the Young Jedi Knights books, he seems like a cool fat kid who sits in his room playing with lizards and other animals while everyone else has adventures and fun. He's the gooniest goon... until war changes him. His fall to the dark side was a lot more tragic and less ham-fisted than what we got with the prequel trilogy, even if the writers did gently caress up the entire story arc by being themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The real tragedy is jacen had an interesting character arc though the NJO, helped immensely by Traitor, ad then they gently caress it all up by making his rational identical to Anakins.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

arioch posted:

Tahiri is literally 10 years older than Luke and Leia were, and about as old as Han, when they were busy saving the galaxy and taking out the Empire.

It is completely unacceptable characterization in every single way.

You'll note the first thing I said was that I don't disagree with anyone's distaste for the scene. I just find it hilarious that of all the different information gathering techniques she can use, Tahiri goes straight for seduction.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

VaultAggie posted:

The real tragedy is jacen had an interesting character arc though the NJO, helped immensely by Traitor, ad then they gently caress it all up by making his rational identical to Anakins.

"Gonna make you dream about terrible things that maybe will happen in the future (perhaps, even, to your wife and kids?) and make you not talk to your fellow Jedi about it"

"Oops you fell, what a surprise"

All the tragedy, subtlety, and humanity of a turtle you (Troy Denning, Lucasbooks) flip on its back to lay there and die.

Darth Nobody casts "Sith Force False Dichotomy" on yet another Jedi.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jacen going over to the dark side actually seemed really similar to Anakin in the prequel movies to me. They certainly hammered it home with the narration, the way he's constantly thinking about how he'll become the new Sith Lord and avoid Anakin's mistakes while making more or less all of them. The problem is that I can't tell if it was intentional or not. I assume that it was...

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

Jacen going over to the dark side actually seemed really similar to Anakin in the prequel movies to me. They certainly hammered it home with the narration, the way he's constantly thinking about how he'll become the new Sith Lord and avoid Anakin's mistakes while making more or less all of them. The problem is that I can't tell if it was intentional or not. I assume that it was...

I think one of the three writers involved was aware of the irony in the narrative and the other two were just too terrible to, yeah.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it was Aaron Allston. In Exile he seemed to be having a fun time portraying Jacen as a Glove Of Darth Vader type villain who's described in the narration with lines like, "There was nothing Jacen liked more than tricking his enemies, especially when his enemy was Luke Skywalker!" while Traviss and Denning were trying to be more serious about it.

That's what I'd hope, at least.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I thought Jacen's justification was that he flow walked back in time, saw some crazy look on Anakin's face, and assured himself he didn't have the same crazy face so he wasn't making the same mistake. See, doesn't sound so stupid now!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought Jacen's justification was that he flow walked back in time, saw some crazy look on Anakin's face, and assured himself he didn't have the same crazy face so he wasn't making the same mistake. See, doesn't sound so stupid now!

Unsurprisingly this comes from a Karen Traviss book, too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If you ask me, that is the dumbest thing in the EU. Yes, dumber than bug orgies, SPACE STATION OF DEATH 8.0 and Boba Fett falling into the Sarlacc like it was a comedy manhole.

It simply does not make sense.

We say everyone in Star Wars is usually dumb as a rock but in that book, it plunged passed the rock level.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

forum user "Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek" was the only good thing to come from those forums

well, that and the whole mod walk-out when the owner required personal information of TFN's mods and admins.

This is a really old post, but I was just reading through this thread, and I had to reply. I was a mod when that incident took place, and I remember being so mad at the new owner (he had recently bought the site from its founders, if I remember correctly) when it happened. I think I and many of the other mods were offended that he seemed to be turning what we saw as a friendly community into a soulless business. The whole thing seems silly in retrospect.

I also enjoyed reading everyone's posts about the EU, which I was really into in high school but haven't kept up on since partway through the NJO. When the Corellian trilogy was mentioned, I remembered that what struck me most about that series was the absurd number of typos it contained. This was especially the case in the first book, which I think averaged a typo every few pages. I remember being appalled that a published novel had been so poorly proofread.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Vogon Poet posted:

This is a really old post, but I was just reading through this thread, and I had to reply. I was a mod when that incident took place, and I remember being so mad at the new owner (he had recently bought the site from its founders, if I remember correctly) when it happened. I think I and many of the other mods were offended that he seemed to be turning what we saw as a friendly community into a soulless business. The whole thing seems silly in retrospect.

I also enjoyed reading everyone's posts about the EU, which I was really into in high school but haven't kept up on since partway through the NJO. When the Corellian trilogy was mentioned, I remembered that what struck me most about that series was the absurd number of typos it contained. This was especially the case in the first book, which I think averaged a typo every few pages. I remember being appalled that a published novel had been so poorly proofread.

I don't know if it's clear by the tone of my post, but I was also not a fan of the new required info for mods. I also really shouldn't knock the TF.N boards so quickly, I made a few good friends there from all around the world, some of whom I'm still in contact with today.

Which subforum did you moderate, Vogon Poet, if you don't mind my asking?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of mods, Not Team Gizka completed adding all the missing content to KOTOR 2.

Get it here if you care.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

I don't know if it's clear by the tone of my post, but I was also not a fan of the new required info for mods. I also really shouldn't knock the TF.N boards so quickly, I made a few good friends there from all around the world, some of whom I'm still in contact with today.

Which subforum did you moderate, Vogon Poet, if you don't mind my asking?

I was a moderator for Games. I didn't have the position for all that long, and it was a fairly quiet subforum, so I didn't actually have all that many responsibilities. At the time, I was obsessed with multiplayer Jedi Outcast, which is why I was active in the Games forum. A funny memory from that is when we had a 1v1 tourney among TF.N forum members, and I (who spent a lot of time playing on a competitive clan's server) totally destroyed everyone.

Oh yeah, another funny memory from the TF.N forums was when, years earlier, I was playing around with urls, trying different forum numbers, and discovered there was a forum called "Mod Squad" or something like that which wasn't visible or accessible to normal members. I posted a thread in Communications called "Secret forums?" and it erupted into a huge dramabomb, because apparently some people were just shocked that the moderators had their own forum that everyone else couldn't see.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Vogon Poet posted:

I was a moderator for Games. I didn't have the position for all that long, and it was a fairly quiet subforum, so I didn't actually have all that many responsibilities. At the time, I was obsessed with multiplayer Jedi Outcast, which is why I was active in the Games forum. A funny memory from that is when we had a 1v1 tourney among TF.N forum members, and I (who spent a lot of time playing on a competitive clan's server) totally destroyed everyone.

Oh yeah, another funny memory from the TF.N forums was when, years earlier, I was playing around with urls, trying different forum numbers, and discovered there was a forum called "Mod Squad" or something like that which wasn't visible or accessible to normal members. I posted a thread in Communications called "Secret forums?" and it erupted into a huge dramabomb, because apparently some people were just shocked that the moderators had their own forum that everyone else couldn't see.

Ha, that's pretty funny. I registered there in '03 and I think I may remember reading about that. In fact if we played 21 questions I could probably figure which Games mod you were! :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of mods, Not Team Gizka completed adding all the missing content to KOTOR 2.

Get it here if you care.

Speaking of KOTOR, Bioware/EA just announced yesterday that The Old Republic MMO is going Free to Play (up to level 50) this fall. I've been playing the free to level 15 version and its not bad.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

quote:

forum user "Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek" was the only good thing to come from those forums

Haha, no. I can remember him and a friend posting in the same word game thread continually as part of an attempt to become the TFN user with the highest post count.

Vogon Poet posted:

Christ, I think I can remember that one. I think my favourite (if you can call it that) was the space diner waitress from Attack of the Clones being used in a forum banner and a number of users freaking out about it because her tits were visible.

I was a pretty high ranking member of staff (won't tell you which, it's something I want to put behind me), but the whole thing was one ongoing stream of internet drama. The stories I could tell you...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked the games forum on TFN. Back when I posted on TFN I participated in a few threads there, it always seems far more relaxed than the other forums. Probably because it "mixed" Star Wars and non-Star Wars related stuff.

Vogon Poet posted:

The huge number of typos in recent novels is one of the things (other than the plots) that helped push me away from Star Wars novels. I think I remember reading that one of the FOTJ authors said Lucasfilm ended up publishing the first draft of a book she submitted to them...and boy did it really need someone to look over it. It's hugely unprofessional and just one more example of the Lucasfilm "we can literally print poo poo and as long as it says Star Wars on the cover it'll sell" dismissive attitude.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of KOTOR, Bioware/EA just announced yesterday that The Old Republic MMO is going Free to Play (up to level 50) this fall. I've been playing the free to level 15 version and its not bad.

Hah, I knew I made the right choice waiting for it.

Still amuses me they spent all that time on it, but didn't notice that every other MMO under the sun under the market went free 2 play/charge for fancy cosmetics.

I'll throw myself back into it when it happens I guess. The Mass Effect 3 fiasco has put me off Bioware products.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Get it here if you care.

Actually, this sounds cool, I may have to track down a PC version of KOTOR 2.

Wasn't there some other group who were trying to do a content restore who ended up have some kind of falling out?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hemp Knight posted:

Actually, this sounds cool, I may have to track down a PC version of KOTOR 2.

Wasn't there some other group who were trying to do a content restore who ended up have some kind of falling out?

Yeah, the guys I mentioned Team Gizka. Somebody in this thread can go into the hilarious details of why.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Can anyone recommend the best comic series to read? Are there any good Rebellion era comics?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Can anyone recommend the best comic series to read? Are there any good Rebellion era comics?

We're three issues in to a 5 issue mini series called Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison that's been phenomenal so far. That's more dark times era than rebellion era though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Do not read Vader and The Lost Command unless you want dream sequences featuring Vader crying about his lost life with Padme. Also the guy who wrote The Force Unleashed turned Tarkin into a wimp.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

alg posted:

There's a recent series called Agent Of the Empire that's been pretty good so far, which is set during the Rebellion era. My overall favourite comic series was always Star Wars: Republic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Do not read Vader and The Lost Command unless you want dream sequences featuring Vader crying about his lost life with Padme. Also the guy who wrote The Force Unleashed turned Tarkin into a wimp.

What? What?

Fuuuuuck. Fuuuuuuck.

Hayden Blackman!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

alg posted:

The X-wing comics are Rebellion era, aren't they? You should read "In the Empire's Service" because there's a lot of good Horton Salm action in there. Gotta love Y-wings.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The X-wing comics are Rebellion era, aren't they? You should read "In the Empire's Service" because there's a lot of good Horton Salm action in there. Gotta love Y-wings.

I freaking love y-wings :swoon:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Confession time: my username on the TF.N boards was Master_Y-wing. Not that that's anything to be proud of, but still, I'm the ultimate Y-wing fanboy. :smug:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm more of a X-Wing/A-Wing sort of guy myself.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
I was always a big fan of the V-Wing. I don't know how far they made it into canon beyond the first Rogue Squadron game, but hitting the scram jets and blasting off a few homing cluster missiles was godly.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Confession time: my username on the TF.N boards was Master_Y-wing. Not that that's anything to be proud of, but still, I'm the ultimate Y-wing fanboy. :smug:

yeah about a year ago in this very thread we fistbumped over our mutual love for Y-Wings :clint:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338643&pagenumber=187&perpage=40#post393717989

edit: ah yeah the reason I asked about comics was because I got this and it's really cool. It has a ton of pictures from the comics.

alg fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 1, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

alg posted:

yeah about a year ago in this very thread we fistbumped over our mutual love for Y-Wings :clint:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338643&pagenumber=187&perpage=40#post393717989

edit: ah yeah the reason I asked about comics was because I got this and it's really cool. It has a ton of pictures from the comics.

Ha, that's great! "Rogue Squadron, where's our cover!!"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

gently caress your cover Nebulon Medical Frigate captain. Should have installed some lasers on your goddamn ship.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

gently caress your cover Nebulon Medical Frigate captain. Should have installed some lasers on your goddamn ship.

First off, let's go ahead and confirm that the supreme canon for all Star Wars space battle material is embodied in X-Wing and Tie Fighter. Therefore, all Nebulon B Frigates, including the medical ship, are armed.

The Y-Wing, as endearing as it is, is a bit long in the tooth. It can't hold its own in a major dogfight, and the B-Wing outclasses it as a bomber.

Give me an X-Wing for general purposes, and an A-Wing for pure dogfights.

On the Imperial side, the Tie Defender and Missile Gunboat felt a little over-the-top. Part of me preferred flying with a swarm of wingmen, capitals, and corvettes in an Interceptor or Bomber, since it felt like the movies. Of course, I'll always take the TIE Advanced, especially when Darth Vader is my wingman.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Derek Dominoe posted:

especially when Darth Vader is my wingman.

It doesn't pay to be his wingman.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Seriously, why would you stick the medical frigate right smack bang on the frontlines during what appears to be a bum rush towards whole wings of TIE Fighters and half the Imperial fleet!?

I mean for gently caress sake, if any escape pods or vac suits manage to survive the chaos you can pick them up AFTER the battle or when you got a few minutes to spare.

Goddamn trying to get gold in that mission is painful. gently caress escort missions, gently caress you Medical Frigate Captain.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Escort missions kept me from finishing that game for a long time. And made me hate B-Wings for a time, which is even worse :smith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

Escort missions kept me from finishing that game for a long time. And made me hate B-Wings for a time, which is even worse :smith:

If you ask me, it was the worst in the series with the escort missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
When I was a wee lad I couldn't pass the third mission in Rogue Squadron for the N64 for the longest time, something about rescuing a crashed ship called the Nonnah. After that it was smooth sailing...until Fest. :suicide: Seriously, why does the Rebel Alliance absolutely need three dinky little AT-PTs?!