Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I'm in the market for a cheapish daily driver for my highway commute. I came across a 2001 93 turbo with five speed and 171000 miles.

Is this a terrible idea? The car looks flawless and both keys and original owners manual are neatly included. I can do mostly my own work, but don't want to jump into a money pit disaster.

If I go look at it, what are things to inspect? Feel free to be specific/technical. What are known failure mechanisms? Could it still be on the stock turbo? Are parts reasonably easy to find and priced? For reference I've owned a heavily modified Mazda with a JDM motor and a late model turbo Subaru.

Thanks Saab goons.

170k is a little long in the tooth depending on maintenance. 2001 is still a 'sludge' year for B205, so it is very important to ensure it had proper oil changes. Even if they say 'yes', you should take it to an indy to have it checked. If you're actually quite interested in the car and they refuse, offer to pay half. You'll be out of pocket about $30.

It could very well be the stock turbo. When you start it first - notice if it's already warmed, or not. If not, pay close attention to the exhaust when you start it - an excessive plume of white smoke means the turbo is fried.

There is a DI unit that sits atop of the spark plugs. It is currently a $450 wear item (although not often). Many parts for this are still available, but other things may not be - for instance, later 9-5s currently have no stock available for the wiper transmission.

Knowing the age of the DI, the last time the timing has been done, if the transmission has ever been flushed? Is it an auto, or stick? The 4 speed autos are pretty bulletproof, but I ended up with an NG900 with under 115k on the odo,a still-working 2.5L, and a trashed transmission.

Be sure to ask and investigate all of this, it is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I'm in the market for a cheapish daily driver for my highway commute. I came across a 2001 93 turbo with five speed and 171000 miles.

Is this a terrible idea? The car looks flawless and both keys and original owners manual are neatly included. I can do mostly my own work, but don't want to jump into a money pit disaster.

If I go look at it, what are things to inspect? Feel free to be specific/technical. What are known failure mechanisms? Could it still be on the stock turbo? Are parts reasonably easy to find and priced? For reference I've owned a heavily modified Mazda with a JDM motor and a late model turbo Subaru.

Thanks Saab goons.

171k on the stock turbo is nothing strange (though some go earlier).

Check the condition of the front struts as it is common that they rust and they can be quite expensive to replace. That would be the one major area I can think of; other than that I am not aware of much in the way of what you can inspect that normally is a problem on these cars. What can and does happen is that either the fuel pump or the ignition cartridge craps out, but there is no way you can tell that by looking at them in any way.

As for parts availability, I can't comment. Here in Sweden 93s are a dime a dozen so you can get just about anything (with the exception of previously mentioned struts which disappear instantly when they do show up on used parts sites) for fairly cheap.

Is it the 150hp or 185hp version? If the former it runs the same hardware as the 185hp one so is pretty easy to boost up to 220+ hp. :)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I cracked the head gasket(plus whatever else exploded) on my 1999 9-3 in the 93 tunnel under Boston. A coolant hose had a giant hole in it, and I guess it all left the engine fairly quickly. It only had 94k miles, but I'm assuming my car probably isn't worth fixing. I got a quote for roughly $1300 for just the head gasket which makes me think my only option is scrapping it. Is that the case?

Karl Barks fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 23, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Sold the C900. Down to four. Depression eminent.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

If it's any consolation, my wife wants a Cooper S otherwise that 2008 9-5 would already be in my driveway.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

keykey posted:

If it's any consolation, my wife wants a Cooper S otherwise that 2008 9-5 would already be in my driveway.

It's kind of sick that it still has the 'new car' smell, but I only drive it enough to keep everything working and lubricated. I love that car, but it's between that one, and the TX. Obviously the TX wins.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I have a '94 Saab 900 SE Turbo (NG900). A couple weeks ago the radiator blew out. There was a crack in the plastic right next to the tips of the aluminum crimps. I figured it was an original unit and replaced it with an eBay Chinese radiator. Now the passenger side end cap on the new radiator appears to be pushing out against the crimps and I have a small drip under the car.

What are the odds that this is a defective radiator? If I have pressure building up, shouldn't the overflow cap release the overpressure?

Here is the type of thing I'm talking about. Mine is still intact, but the crimps appear to be bowing out slightly.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 27, 2012

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Sounds defective to me. And I've been haunted by many cooling system failures. I don't know what to tell you to do with this (have a warranty?), but I can tell you one thing. If you replace it, go to eeuroparts and buy the Nissens. Excellent aftermarket radiator.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

MotoMind posted:

What are the odds that this is a defective radiator? If I have pressure building up, shouldn't the overflow cap release the overpressure?

Hate to say it, but cheap poo poo is generally cheap poo poo. It's likely defective.

C900 came back home because I was sick of the 'new' owners not knowing how to drive it and whining about it. It had under 100 miles on all good fluid. I said they'd get their money back after I ensured it wasn't destroyed.. gives me a 50% off an indy checkup, at least.

Did cap, rotor, and plugs, because I had already bought them. Car is happy. Even for an '89 with 130k on a 3 speed auto, it is pretty drat aggressive again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Viggen posted:

C900 came back home because I was sick of the 'new' owners not knowing how to drive it and whining.

Can you elaborate?

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Can you elaborate?
What, they couldn't find the ignition? :supaburn: Details, please.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3170994780.html

What are the chances I can get keys made for this? It keeps coming up every few weeks, if its in good shape and get the right price, I could flip it easy.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What are the chances I can get keys made for this? It keeps coming up every few weeks, if its in good shape and get the right price, I could flip it easy.

Nil.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This would be your best bet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-01-99-sa...ssories&vxp=mtr

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Francis Baconator posted:

What, they couldn't find the ignition? :supaburn: Details, please.

Honestly, I believe they just had buyers' remorse.

They claimed it was having fits going uphill and stalled out on them. They couldn't back up their claim, and were just bitching enough that I said 'bring it back, after I get it checked for any 'new' damage, you'll get your money back if there are no mechanical issues'. I'll be taking it to the indy for a quick onceover later this week since it's up for smog again, as it is.

I've put 400 miles on it since I took it back, in 100+ degree weather, up steep inclines. Car is perfectly fine, but the AC compressor sounds like it is on the way out. Will probably just do a delete since it's still R12 equipped. I've fallen in love with it again and may just keep it. V:q:V

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Even if I provide the dealer with the vin number they can't make a key or order one?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Even if I provide the dealer with the vin number they can't make a key or order one?

With no keys, you have to be able to get into the car, take the TWICE/DICE unit out and get a new one. They are ~2k, if you can get one any more. Then you need to get the new units coded to the ecu.

The dealer can't and never could do anything once the keys were lost as the twice unit can't be recoded to keys without having one.

That would be an expensive car because not only do you need 2k worth of stuff just to start it, then you finally get it started and figure out why the owner "lost" the keys to begin with.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well poop. I thought it would be easier. I don't know much about Saab either, I mostly stick with the German or British built cars.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

gently caress.

At least it's only stuck in the trunk cylinder.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
parts for sale 89 saab convertible:

Water pump is bad, and it's probably in need of a few new parts. Bumpers and Aeros are better than my wheels and bumpers.. what could go wrong with a $400 23 year old SAAB? :sweden:

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Viggen, you're charging them for that trunk lock cylinder, right? That's not super cheap to fix and it's a little bit of a headache.

Also, that $400 vert looks like a helluva deal. I'd jump. Even for parts, it's worth picking up (if you do, let me know, I'd either do a group buy on the purchase price or snag some parts off you).

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Viggen, you're charging them for that trunk lock cylinder, right? That's not super cheap to fix and it's a little bit of a headache.

Also, that $400 vert looks like a helluva deal. I'd jump. Even for parts, it's worth picking up (if you do, let me know, I'd either do a group buy on the purchase price or snag some parts off you).

I broke the trunk lock. I tried to free the key and it just snapped. <:gonk:>

That $400 pile of poo poo is the $1,000 pile of poo poo I saw in January of 2010. That's how small the circle is here. Notice the 'body damage'? It's caulk. Yes, the whole side panel is nearly 100% caulk. Same for the front driver side quarter

I offered him $320 for it if he gets the title paperwork taken care of. My fuel pump is on the way out on my C900, and the ECU may be as well.

What're you looking for if I do end up getting it?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone want to guess why my Saab 2000 93 SE seems to be burping oil up through the filler. The PCV system on it seems retarded and I've done a little research and I can't figure out what is going on with it. Do I need to buy an update and bite the bullet?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

n8r posted:

Anyone want to guess why my Saab 2000 93 SE seems to be burping oil up through the filler. The PCV system on it seems retarded and I've done a little research and I can't figure out what is going on with it. Do I need to buy an update and bite the bullet?

You... don't have the updated PCV?

Oh you poor thing...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

n8r posted:

Does it look like this?

If so, you have the latest version.

Does your oil light come on during high load? Do you have somewhere reallly close where you can have someone scope your pan for you?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

n8r posted:

Thoughts and prayers being sent your way. :sympathy:

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Viggen posted:

I broke the trunk lock. I tried to free the key and it just snapped. <:gonk:>

That $400 pile of poo poo is the $1,000 pile of poo poo I saw in January of 2010. That's how small the circle is here. Notice the 'body damage'? It's caulk. Yes, the whole side panel is nearly 100% caulk. Same for the front driver side quarter

I offered him $320 for it if he gets the title paperwork taken care of. My fuel pump is on the way out on my C900, and the ECU may be as well.

What're you looking for if I do end up getting it?
Turn signal switch (especially if it has cruise), AIC, passenger side headlight, random relays, heater control valve, stuff like that.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Turn signal switch (especially if it has cruise), AIC, passenger side headlight, random relays, heater control valve, stuff like that.

I insulted him by offering $320. I'll wait for the response.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Viggen posted:

I insulted him by offering $320. I'll wait for the response.

He's gonna sell it to me for $320. Paying for the title and back-dated insurance.. which will probably cost him $320.

Probably getting another 4 SAABs in total, though.

Some random dude wants to trade his '85 for my thrashed '72 Kawasaki. I insulted him on his Craigslist post, and we started talking SAAB. v:v:v

The '85 works but leaky power steering.

I want to buy that '89 for fuel pump because my '89 fuel pump is shot and its cheaper than a new pump, also some parts.

Most of the other bits on that 89 should help repair that '85.

Then a 9-5 manual for a friend who is car-less, and another 9-5 parts car comes with that.

Viggen's Saablandia - come and pull your own poo poo!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

It does have cruise. AIC is likely crap as it had idling issues 2 years ago. Headlight is yours, let me know what relays you want.. not sure about state of HCV since it's making GBS threads out coolant faster than you can put it in (well, nearly). Since you can't PM me, go ahead and mail steve@affablecomputers.com - You get first dibs on what I don't take off it.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Viggen posted:

It does have cruise. AIC is likely crap as it had idling issues 2 years ago. Headlight is yours, let me know what relays you want.. not sure about state of HCV since it's making GBS threads out coolant faster than you can put it in (well, nearly). Since you can't PM me, go ahead and mail steve@affablecomputers.com - You get first dibs on what I don't take off it.
Thanks, e-mail sent. Gotta keep our C900s on the road!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Thanks, e-mail sent. Gotta keep our C900s on the road!

Got your message. Will let you know after I can test some of the parts. That C900 is rough, but a lot of it is usable.. other than the body!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Viggen posted:

Viggen's Saablandia - come and pull your own poo poo!

If you have them all running all those check engine lights will shine like a second sun.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Clayton Bigsby posted:

If you have them all running all those check engine lights will shine like a second sun.

Glory, glory!

They're all in good repair, and I spend at least one day a week keeping them running. The C900 with the bad water pump and the 95 with no engine, however, are just going to be stripped for parts, even if I do wish I could save them..

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Ok, this is starting to turn into an episode of SAAB Hoarders, isn't it?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Viggen posted:

Ok, this is starting to turn into an episode of SAAB Hoarders, isn't it?

Starting?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Sure, it may be considered to be hoarding by US standards, but in Sweden...

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Viggen posted:

Sure, it may be considered to be hoarding by US standards, but in Sweden...
In Sweden, or anywhere else, it's just considered being prepared, as far as owing a SAAB goes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

How many Saabs do you have in total Viggen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

How many Saabs do you have in total Viggen?

Boy have I derailed this thread. :q: Currently, five. Two are for sale.