Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm pretty sure you can see your characters' own damage multipliers (or number of hits or whatever) in the status screen somewhere, at least in the SNES/SFAM version. I definitely remember that number existing, and Cecil's being the highest.

For monsters, yeah, I have no clue.

Oh yeah you can, but they're kind of meaningless without any way to learn the enemies' numbers. I have no idea if this is how the DS version works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keet
Aug 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say he is whiny all the time, just that he gets it at the point where his life kinda falls apart.

Yeah. What a lot of people who are dubious (healthy attitude to have) about the fan vitriol for 7's extended universe may miss isn't that it's dumb to have Cloud react from the fall out of all the poo poo in the game after he finally has time to chill and think about it. Hell that's the plot of X-2, and everyone agrees it was an odd direction for Yuna to go in, so the game goes out of its way to sell you the idea. Cloud's reaction doesn't really feel genuine based on what we learn about him, so we have characters essentially telling the audience it's completely normal in an effort to convince it's true. When a new installment has a complete disconnect like that in a character where the transition in personality happens "off screen" it feels like lazy writing.

Azure_Horizon posted:

It certainly makes the poo poo plot a bit more interesting.

Are there "positive"-associated fan theories? I've noticed that every popular FF theory seems less about some neat idea that is fun to think about and more a need to explain away something not adequately explained that ended up specifically *annoying* the audience or to do some kind of damage control in making the character more interesting.

The Squall one makes Squall more interesting to people who may not otherwise like him, R=U adds a bittersweet tone to the lame as hell romance and gives depth to a flat character, the "Vanille and Fang Are A Thing" thing incidentally provides a huge amount of damage control for Vanille being grudgingly accepted by a fanbase who didn't like her design and ~moe~ character but really liked Fang's, etc.

keet fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 1, 2012

keet
Aug 20, 2005

q=/=e

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

penguinmambo posted:

Are there "positive"-associated fan theories? I've noticed that every popular FF theory seems less about some neat idea that is fun to think about and more a need to explain away something not adequately explained that ended up specifically *annoying* the audience or to do some kind of damage control in making the character more interesting.

What about "everybody died at the end of FF VII"? I've heard people other than me argue that point. Squall and R=U were internet theories that required some serious stretches, whereas FF VII foreshadowed that point somewhat heavily.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

What about "everybody died at the end of FF VII"? I've heard people other than me argue that point. Squall and R=U were internet theories that required some serious stretches, whereas FF VII foreshadowed that point somewhat heavily.

Yeah. FF7 was deliberate though and that feels more like "intepretation of the media" than a fan theory. I think fan theories feel more nebulous because they either gently caress with the stated mechanics of the game a bit (the ff8 ones) and often get completely shut down by the creator at some point. Or they're just a tangently thing (i.e., the fan interpretation that Fang and Vanille are going down under with each other vs being dudebros is not really relevant to the larger narrative and adds some novelty, so people don't really argue against it much)

keet fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 1, 2012

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

penguinmambo posted:

Yeah. FF7 was deliberate though and that feels more like "intepretation of the media" than a fan theory.

I don't know that I understand this. Not to champion Squall is dead, but watching a movie where a guy gets impaled by an ice shard and deciding it was fatal is an interpretation of the media.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The Vanille and Fang thing is subtly implied in the game with their sort-of-more-than-just-siblings touching and quite a few lines of dialogue with each other, not to mention the ending of XIII. It's not really a fan theory, and it's surprisingly progressive for a jRPG.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

penguinmambo posted:

Can't forget, Gogo = [Gestahl/Daryl/Leo/Baram/whoeverthefuck] A character that exists purely for the sake of screwing around with combat mechanics, zero actual characterization.

There's also the one about Gilgamesh being the exact same character in each game he shows up in, but I wouldn't be surprised if this has been confirmed as fact.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mazed posted:

Can't forget, Gogo = [Gestahl/Daryl/Leo/Baram/whoeverthefuck] A character that exists purely for the sake of screwing around with combat mechanics, zero actual characterization.

The entire "mystery" of Gogo rose up simply because FFV didn't come out in the US until years later. He appears in FFV as a bonus boss, and vanishes into the rift after you "beat" him. He's basically a minor nod to the last game.

Mazed posted:

There's also the one about Gilgamesh being the exact same character in each game he shows up in, but I wouldn't be surprised if this has been confirmed as fact.

Dissidia confirmed this for cannon, pretty much. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Mazed posted:

It's a fact.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

You don't even need Dissidia for this. In FF8 he mentions FF5, and from there it's just a matter of 'Well, if it's the same guy once, it's probably the same guy again, since there isn't anything that contradicts that.'

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Dissidia had this to say: "The weapon collecting, dimension hopping, self-proclaimed "legendary swordsman." Although possessing the body of a fiend, he holds a strong sense of loyalty and compassion."

I think his FF XII appearance was the best yet.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Azure_Horizon posted:

The Vanille and Fang thing is subtly implied in the game with their sort-of-more-than-just-siblings touching and quite a few lines of dialogue with each other, not to mention the ending of XIII. It's not really a fan theory, and it's surprisingly progressive for a jRPG.

Yeah it's basically the same thing as Balthier and Fran's relationship in XII, except Balthier's a total bro so you occasionally get the "I knew Fran didn't like being tied up, but this is ridiculous!!!" lines.

Watching people try to rationalize against the Fang/Vanille relationship on sites like GameFAQs owned though, I just assumed the people in hardcore "here's six paragraphs" denial were straight nerds who felt like they couldn't jerk off to a lesbian anime or something.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/01/new-final-fantasy-xiii-game-just-entered-production

I guess that could be something other than 13-3 but I doubt it. The only thing I mind is I wish I could play it sooner than what's implied in the article, seems like it's at least a year a away from coming out over here. And I'm just hoping since they'll be re-using a lot of assets but it'll probably be closer to two years at the earliest.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Dissidia had this to say: "The weapon collecting, dimension hopping, self-proclaimed "legendary swordsman." Although possessing the body of a fiend, he holds a strong sense of loyalty and compassion."

I think his FF XII appearance was the best yet.

I can honestly say that as fun as Final Fantasy XII-International was, the Gilgamesh fight was probably the highlight of the entire game for me.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dr Pepper posted:

Did he lose a lot of weight by the time he hopped into IX, then? :iiam:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

People are saying that the Quest 64 battle music sounds like the FF7 battle music. I don't hear it personally, what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAU4Ww6kKqI

Incidentally, Quest 64 not being a better game is one of the biggest tragedies of the N64.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone have any experience with the fan-made English patch for FF12 International Zodiac Job System? I've been meaning to play through FF12 and that sounds like the version I want. Is the English patch a perfect transfer of the English subtitles to the Japanese game, or am I going to run into stuff like untranslated extra menus and formatting errors?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Leovinus posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the fan-made English patch for FF12 International Zodiac Job System? I've been meaning to play through FF12 and that sounds like the version I want. Is the English patch a perfect transfer of the English subtitles to the Japanese game, or am I going to run into stuff like untranslated extra menus and formatting errors?

There are some formatting errors here and there but they're so few you'll barely notice them. Other than that, it's 99% English.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

People are saying that the Quest 64 battle music sounds like the FF7 battle music. I don't hear it personally, what do you guys think?

Incidentally, Quest 64 not being a better game is one of the biggest tragedies of the N64.

I loved quest 64. I just wish they had finished it. Most of the magicians you meet during the game were supposed to be party members.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

rodbeard posted:

I loved quest 64. I just wish they had finished it. Most of the magicians you meet during the game were supposed to be party members.

I'd finish it if I had any programming, art, or game design experience at all :unsmigghh:

Which is to say in my loving dreams.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Leovinus posted:

I haven't spent much time with it, but I can confirm it works fine. Its a bitch and a half to install though.

xomocekc
Aug 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jivjov posted:

I haven't spent much time with it, but I can confirm it works fine. Its a bitch and a half to install though.

I'm 50 hours into the game (Balfonheim) and there are no major issues at all. The gambit menu is hosed because it was made for japanese text so it's narrower now and the text overlaps, but it's in no way gamebreaking.

IZJS itself is kind of weird though. Because of the changes it's a very unbalanced game. You will either dominate over everything or die in 15 seconds. It's because you can now use Quickenings without depleting your MP so boss battles are easier but healing can be problematic because only White Mages get the best healing magic and they don't get many HP licences. It's also worth noting that some spells are now only found in the field, it's possible to completely miss out on essential stuff like Dispel if you're unlucky.

But overall it's a really fun game, especially if you already beat the original once.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also any FMV that involves a map isn't translated. I played through it a while back and it was really good, if a little different to normal FFXII. I played it entirely without haste though since there are more jobs than characters and I didn't pick any that had it. :(

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo.

The FF7 battle music is my favorite battle music of the entire series, and my favorite uptempo song overall. I am very familiar with it. This sounds very, very, VERY heavily inspired by FF7's battle music.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boten Anna posted:

Holy poo poo.

The FF7 battle music is my favorite battle music of the entire series, and my favorite uptempo song overall. I am very familiar with it. This sounds very, very, VERY heavily inspired by FF7's battle music.

It's just that one repeated riff. The rest of the track doesn't really match up at all, even the riff is used differently.

I can never play Quest 64 now though, because my brain will fill in the FF7 battle theme after that riff.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mazed posted:

Best theory on that is Gogo is Adlai Stevenson. The whole idea is just so nonsensical and out there that it's amazing.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Since I've never played it before, how should I build my characters in FFXII? I remember reading a few pages back that the stuff on GameFAQs was garbage. This is the regular version, not the International people are always talking about as I have no way of playing it. Also, is there any way to reverse the camera controls? They're really, really awkward for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Since I've never played it before, how should I build my characters in FFXII? I remember reading a few pages back that the stuff on GameFAQs was garbage. This is the regular version, not the International people are always talking about as I have no way of playing it. Also, is there any way to reverse the camera controls? They're really, really awkward for me.

If you're playing non-international look at the completely filled out grid so you know where you're going. Characters are good at everything so pick 3 characters of your choice and make them unto gods via the passive bonuses lie +x HP or +x strength. There is no reason to unlock licenses for equipment or spells you don't have yet, wait until you actually posses those things to unlock them. Additionally, a quickening adds an entire extra bars worth of MP to your characters so picking your favorite 3 characters and getting them their 2 quickenings ASAP is a godsend.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Azure_Horizon posted:

Fang was originally written as a guy and Lightning was written to be more sexy/alluring. They changed Fang into a woman, took Lightning's flirtatious side and put it in Fang, and made Lightning all serious all the time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Focus most of your LP in the top license board. Specifically the bottom left area is where the passive abilities and stats bonuses are. Try to only take equipment and spell/technick licenses when you actually have the items or abilities to make use of them. One thing to note is that your characters will have a very small mana pool until you unlock some quickening licenses. Its worth it to designate a character to be the mage and have them rush to unlock one or two quickenings (probably best to go through the spell license area in the upper part of the top board). Also there is never a time where you are forced to use a specific party so you can safely focus on leveling your three favorite party members and leave the rest as a backup team.

All the characters have slightly different stat growths so if you feel like optimizing their roles:

Vaan: Good STR, MAG and SPD
Balthier: Best SPD good STR
Basch: Best STR and good VIT
Ashe: Good STR and MAG
Penelo: Best MAG
Fran: Worst everything

The differences are pretty minimal though so I'd just use whoever you like best.

This is also worth knowing if its your first time:

voltron lion force posted:

Early on in the game you'll be tasked with visiting a wise man that lives in the sewers. Just outside his home will be a chest. Don't open it.

Later you'll find yourself sneaking into a palace. There are chests in there. Don't open them.

After being captured you'll find a stash that contains all the equipment that was taken from you. In this area are chests. Don't open them.

Finally you may find yourself walking along a beach and spotting a collection of chests arranged in an unusual fashion. Don't open these chests.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 1, 2012

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Winks posted:

Fang was originally written as a guy and Lightning was written to be more sexy/alluring. They changed Fang into a woman, took Lightning's flirtatious side and put it in Fang, and made Lightning all serious all the time.

The happy accident resulting from this Fang is still attractive and extroverted without being overtly fanservice and Lighting doesn't have cutesy trappings. For jRPG girls thats a lot of improvement.

The thing that gets me, is that if FF games always have 3 playable women, and Fang was originally a guy, who was the original third girl?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

You could easily convince me that Hope was a girl.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

FFXII stuff posted:

:words:

Thanks! Will make note of these. I'm really glad to hear that I can just focus on three party members instead of switching people out constantly for plot reasons, that always drives me loving crazy when I've been leveling up a certain character and then POOF they're gone for six hours and I have to use the lovely under leveled character with no gear.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's generally still a good idea to try and use everybody, so you aren't completely screwed over by a party wipe.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Well, use everyone but Fran, because Jesus she sucks.
(Well, maybe buy her Cure and Raise and support spells like that so she can be the healbitch after encounters)

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the Zodiac Spear stuff in vanilla FFXII the same in International Zodiac Job System? I ask because I can't seem to see a chest outside Dalan's house and I wonder if they removed all that.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Leovinus posted:

Is the Zodiac Spear stuff in vanilla FFXII the same in International Zodiac Job System? I ask because I can't seem to see a chest outside Dalan's house and I wonder if they removed all that.

No actually. Not only are the chests safe to open in IZJS, they also moved the spear itself to a place that isn't nearly as easy to get to.

E: Or maybe they removed them altogether... can't recall exactly. I'm pretty sure the ones on the beach are still there.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

voltron lion force posted:

No actually. Not only are the chests safe to open in IZJS, they also moved the spear itself to a place that isn't nearly as easy to get to.

E: Or maybe they removed them altogether... can't recall exactly. I'm pretty sure the ones on the beach are still there.

Great! Thanks.

I actually love the Job system from what I've seen so far, although twelve different jobs seems a bit much seeing as how I'll only be using three characters at once. There's no mixing and matching, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

How is everyone here playing IZJS? Import?