Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I think you can already just leave Sneak on. It's a toggle, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Bluhman posted:

With the upcoming Nighthawk update, it's very possible to use stacking Evasive Maneuvers/Night Warrior/Sneak/Smoke bombs to be stealthed forever. :ninja:

Or at least that's what one player says. They might fix it when all that stuff gets off the PTS.

It's already easy to be effectively permanently invisible against some mobs and players by using rank 3 Smoke grenades, Superstatted Dex, and Shadowform. Put Evasive Maneuvers and the Frost Beast in there for insurance and then nothing will ever see you again.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Just dropping this off:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Very pretty. Is this an aura, power, costume, what is it?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Very pretty. Is this an aura, power, costume, what is it?
That's the 1000-day veteran flight power. Busily annoying RPers, apparently. :shepface:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I use it on a guy called Captain Fabulous, and when people ask where it's from I just say "When you're this Fabulous, it's not optional."

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Also pictured: The cape you get from the optional objective on Dimensional Destroyer, two of the emblems from the original Blood Moon event, and the Lifetime Subscriber crest. Because when looking aggressively terrible near RPists, you need to passive-aggressively remind them that you've played more of this game, and played it better, than they ever will :unsmigghh:

EDIT: And the pink and blue madbomb, beloved insignia of the SuperGoons.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Have the PA changes rolled out? A great PA set is the only thing that would get me back into this.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Inzombiac posted:

Have the PA changes rolled out? A great PA set is the only thing that would get me back into this.

Those were done and implemented a couple months ago. They're pretty decent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We're going to be running another CC in about a week and a half.

We're doing the Broken Telephone idea we never got to last time.

In case you've forgotten: We take ideas from the Contests channel (I'd ask Zone too, but people in there like to Report people and get them silenced) then twist them.

"Ninja" becomes Ninja Turtle, "Beast" becomes "Beast, from Beauty and the Beast", "Best Costume based on the film The Running Man" becomes "Best Costume based on the dance The Running Man" etc.

The people suggesting will not know about the twisting part, obviously.

I'm going to start taking ideas Saturday or so, with the CC itself happening a week later.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

whatspeakyou posted:

Those were done and implemented a couple months ago. They're pretty decent.
Short version: downside is, they kept the slot system for power armor. Upside is, while it's still annoying to mix and match slotted powers with normal ones, it's a lot more painless than it used to be, there's a whole lot of other powers in the set now, and it's generally really good all around as long as you focus on it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cryptic broke something in the last patch, and the Hammer Braces, Wizard/Druid Robe and Epic Revelation Armor sets are tradeable if you have access to them and make a new character.

All 3 are ugly as hell so it doesn't really matter, though.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Man, why are Shoulder Rocket and Minigun the same slot :( They show up on different shoulders and everything!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is the costume creator at character creation supposed to be rage-inducing? As I'm selecting an archetype, I see a dude in power armor and thinking "Yeah, that looks cool...but I want it on this melee DPS guy." So I check and see what power armor dude is wearing, but when I click the dropdown for chest pieces that particular selection isn't available; costume selection seems extremely limited, actually, or it uses some kind of strange voodoo magic that I haven't been able to divine yet.

Also, when I click the dropdown at the top to browse for other parts in that category, it randomizes everything, removing most of the customizations I selected, so my dude's robot head suddenly turns into a demon for no loving reason. I have no idea how to preview C-Store costume parts either, so I can't see what cool parts packs I'd be willing to drop :10bux: on.

I don't get it. I just want to make a superdude. :(

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If you're F2P, note that the costume options are kind of horribly limited in some ways (which is how they make their money, natch). Also, the dropdown menu at the top doesn't randomize things, it puts it into a different category, and the costume bits only change if that's incompatible (like a lot of the beast/demon/etc. heads with the usual head/hair options), but there's a looot of options hidden away that way if you never try them. The big bulky armor pieces require changing the chest category, for example. C-store parts should just show up in the categories as usual, just marked with a little gold C-token thing to the right; there's a checkbox at the bottom to toggle them on and off too, since they do tend to clutter.

It gets second-nature quickly, just yeah, it shows the usual horrible Cryptic UI design.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Also, look carefully, there should be an Undo button on that screen, which will help you not ruin everything forever.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Yeah, for some completely stupid reason, you have to complete the tutorial at least once to get most of the default costume pieces available in the character creator/tailor. After you get through that and explore the creator a bit, it becomes more second nature.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bluhman posted:

Yeah, for some completely stupid reason, you have to complete the tutorial at least once to get most of the default costume pieces available in the character creator/tailor. After you get through that and explore the creator a bit, it becomes more second nature.

That's really annoying. Oh well, I ran through the tutorial quick and then went to remake my character, and now everything shows up.

..And then I decided to just save the Frost dude's armor and import it into my character. :v:

Anyways, I now have a Soldier to screw around with and see if I like the game. Behold Blaster Master:

Gonna save my pet frog from aliens with HUGE loving GUNS! :black101:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People also claim more costume pieces unlock at level 10 but I don't know.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Been away for close to a year now... How is the Celestial powerset looking? The last time I played I did it as a dps/healer hybrid. Killed stuff slow, but just about unkillable.

How is it now? Still able to do okay when soloing stuff?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Celestial hasn't been touched.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's up for review... eventually. But who knows where that is on the schedule. If you had fun with it before, it's pretty much exactly how it was; it's more everything else has been tweaked and updated. If you're freeform you can kind of add some punch to it by mixing in some sorcery or darkness powers, but if you're just coming back now I'd make a beeline for the new (Air, Earth, possibly Heavy Weapons if it's been that long) or heavily modified/upgraded (martial arts, telekinesis, power armor, gadgeteering - and the latter's getting a bunch of Batman-themed powers soon) power sets, yeah.

I'm hoping the Telepathy and Archery sets get a lookover fairly soon too, both are pretty horrible. Yes, Quarry is awesome, but it's pretty much the only thing worth taking from Archery...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Archery was already reviewed once.

Yes, it was actually worse once.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Quarry being the only awesome part about Archery sounds rather familiar. I will probably stick with Celestial though, perhaps recoloring some sorcery powers to fit the theme.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
I'm thinking of buying one of the premium tank archetypes.

Can anyone give me thoughts on either The Master or The Invincible? I was leaning towards The Master, but then they've apparently added Iron Man since the last time I've played.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

Categories: Mythical, Light Tech, Heavy Tech, Tights/Retro

CO in a nutshell.

2 Tech categories, but Tights and Retro is combined.

Edit: Also Cryptic is currently doing 3 month subs for $30. I'm not sure how much of a difference that is from the non-sale price, but it's 1/3 off month-to-month. Once you subscribe, you keep the price until you un-sub. You can change a current subscription to it too, of course.

Keep in mind that promotional rates don't play nice with time cards. Time cards require you to cancel your recurring subscription and put in the code, which obviously cancels your promotional rate.

Also also, the Hawkwing jet vehicle will be available to test on the PTS later tonight. The Debugger will give you one.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 11, 2012

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Al Baron posted:

Can anyone give me thoughts on either The Master or The Invincible? I was leaning towards The Master, but then they've apparently added Iron Man since the last time I've played.

The Master (and by extension, the Fist) have the best melee frameworks in the game; they not only do solid damage with criticals, but the Martial Arts set is loaded with knocks and stuns that keep enemies at bay. The Master is no exception to this, and can easily use attacks like Dragon Kick and Inexorable tides to stunlock enemies to death, or at least grievously damage them. The Master is also unique as being one of the few AT's to have a self heal in Bountiful Chi Resurgence, obtained at level 30. The self-heal, which can get extra bursts on successful dodges with its advantage, means that it's very solid among other Archtypes.

On the other side, the Invincible currently has the high-ground in that it can do more damage and hits a much wider area than the Master, isn't as reliant on dodge chance, and still holds a very solid defense against rapid attacks. It gets a lot of good attacks (Chest Beam) and defenses (Reconstruction Circuits) early on in its leveling up. Compared to the Master, however, it's a lot more complex to use, and you'll have to know when to activate your different weapon systems in order to avoid accidentally hitting non-aggravated targets. The other problem is that it isn't as good at locking-down or disabling enemies as Martial Arts is, so be ready to block if you can't interrupt an enemy in time.

So, go Master if you aren't confident in working with 3000 toggles and like to use abilities that stop enemies before they can unleash attacks, and go Invincible if you want to blast the hell out of your foes from afar and got a good eye on your energy bar.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The vehicles are invisible.

Not intentional, obviously.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The vehicles are invisible.

Not intentional, obviously.

The first vehicle implemented was actually Wonder Woman's jet.

1000MB Patches take forever. Let's see how clunky/weird flying an invisible plane can be!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bluhman posted:

The first vehicle implemented was actually Wonder Woman's jet.

1000MB Patches take forever. Let's see how clunky/weird flying an invisible plane can be!

There's 3 actually. One for each role.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Anyone feel that the chance box is worth it for the shot at a freeform slot?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Only if there's other things in there you really really want, since it's probably around a 1/250 chance at the least.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And one goon got 2 in a set of 11, so he's ruining the statistics for everyone.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007

Bluhman posted:

So, go Master if you aren't confident in working with 3000 toggles and like to use abilities that stop enemies before they can unleash attacks, and go Invincible if you want to blast the hell out of your foes from afar and got a good eye on your energy bar.
Hey, thanks for the input. I'll keep this in mind when I get my first AT close to cap.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Aphrodite posted:

And one goon got 2 in a set of 11, so he's ruining the statistics for everyone.

Sorry about that. :smith:

e: how do you guys get multiple characters on at a time, presumably to do things while attending a CC?

HukHukHuk fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 12, 2012

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Unless there's some other trick I'm missing, probably "multiple accounts". It's a F2P game so it's not like this is exactly hard to setup, and if you aren't breaking the TOS somehow it's not like Cryptic will really give a gently caress.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
So Prison Break's been broke since April?

Well, that's one way to not care about your Nemesis.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Asimo posted:

Unless there's some other trick I'm missing, probably "multiple accounts". It's a F2P game so it's not like this is exactly hard to setup, and if you aren't breaking the TOS somehow it's not like Cryptic will really give a gently caress.

It's also quite useful if you bought several retail copies for pennies without checking if they could all be redeemed on the same account ;)

Still gold for one month every year or so suits me.

Haven't played in a year, new crafting system seems better, Maniacs faction character redesigns are rubbish. Alerts sound like a good idea but I was given one at level 8 which was far too low to actually be useful in the fight.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Al Baron posted:

So Prison Break's been broke since April?

Well, that's one way to not care about your Nemesis.

I have good luck switching the the nemesis to infernal supernatural, one of my nemeses was munitions and it would break constantly. Claws worked after a try or two as well. I guess it's luck based?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
Guess prep for NotBatman and vehicles broke the server.