Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

For all the talk about how Josh is the greatest political operative since Leo God Leo, do we really see him succeed that often? A lot of the show is focused on him screwing up. I understand why, as 7 seasons of Josh Closes Another Round of Budget Negotiations doesn't sound all that compelling. But I'm struggling to come up with that many wins for him.

Maybe just the times where he screwed up are more prominent in my memory and not necessarily more prevalent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obligatory response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sJkM_CNqcw

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

That reverse CSI sunglasses thing is basically the best.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Was certain that it was going to be this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBqokPYnhhE

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

myron cope posted:

For all the talk about how Josh is the greatest political operative since Leo God Leo, do we really see him succeed that often? A lot of the show is focused on him screwing up. I understand why, as 7 seasons of Josh Closes Another Round of Budget Negotiations doesn't sound all that compelling. But I'm struggling to come up with that many wins for him.

Maybe just the times where he screwed up are more prominent in my memory and not necessarily more prevalent?

He gets Santos elected president, and he helped get Bartlet elected too. Also, there are a bunch of other victories throughout(the one that got Amy fired, fixing the Shutdown, etc.) just his fuckups are more interesting because they're fewer and far between. That's why the pilot is weirder to look back on. Bartlet would never consider firing Josh for that. Pilots get a lot of leeway for character work though.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

LesterGroans posted:

He gets Santos elected president, and he helped get Bartlet elected too. Also, there are a bunch of other victories throughout(the one that got Amy fired, fixing the Shutdown, etc.) just his fuckups are more interesting because they're fewer and far between. That's why the pilot is weirder to look back on. Bartlet would never consider firing Josh for that. Pilots get a lot of leeway for character work though.

Seriously. Watch "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen" (the scene where Bartlet goes to the airport to see Josh) or "Two Cathedrals" ("That was my son!") and tell me the silly flap in the pilot makes any sense at all. But as you say, pilots.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I'm on Season 7 now, specifically the Santos-Vinick debate. I never watched TWW as it aired, and the video quality and the fact that the actors have stumbled a few times on their lines makes me think that NBC actually did this episode live. Is that right?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

I'm on Season 7 now, specifically the Santos-Vinick debate. I never watched TWW as it aired, and the video quality and the fact that the actors have stumbled a few times on their lines makes me think that NBC actually did this episode live. Is that right?

Yes

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They actually did two different live performances. One for the EST and PST airings. And Ellen Degeneres introduced it for some reason.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
On my millionth viewing, Amy Gardner's argument against prostitution isn't really working for me. She cites economic necessity as a form of coercion, and says that... oh hell, this needs quotes.

AMY: I know of no little girl, and neither do you, who says "I wanna be a prostitute when I grow up." They do it 'cause they're forced to out of economic circumstances. And dire economic need is a form of coersion.

And later, when Josh calls her on the issue of freedom, she really has nothing for him but a super snappy reply.

JOSH: How am I not supposed to call you a hypocrite when you say that the government shouldn't tell women what to do with their bodies.

AMY: Exercise some self-control, I guess.

I guess what I am saying is that no little girl says they want to be a shift lead at Chili's or take a second job at Trader Joe's, and the rent is a form of economic coercion, so I just don't get her argument, which fundamentally seems to be "it's not a dream job, and people shouldn't need money". It's not that she's wrong or right, it's just horribly argued.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
My favorite lovely pat argument is the one where Donna is talking to Jack Reese to about wasteful military spending and 300$ ashtrays, and he justifies them by procuring one he apparently stole and smashing with a wrench. Then he reminds her, sardonically, that sometimes submarines get hit by torpedoes or something. And, it's like, why do you need glass ashtrays at all? Go hit a piece of sheet metal with a hammer a couple times and make your own, you jackass.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Due to some earlier TV Couch thread discussion I'm watching The West Wing through from S1 (again), and kinda focusing on the acting, and can I just say it's ridiculous how emotive Richard Schiff's face is? Sure, most of the time he's emoting sadness, disappointment, frustration, or anger, but man does he emote it well.

Also, this time through I don't even hate Mandy. She's just... pointless.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Eikre posted:

My favorite lovely pat argument is the one where Donna is talking to Jack Reese to about wasteful military spending and 300$ ashtrays, and he justifies them by procuring one he apparently stole and smashing with a wrench. Then he reminds her, sardonically, that sometimes submarines get hit by torpedoes or something. And, it's like, why do you need glass ashtrays at all? Go hit a piece of sheet metal with a hammer a couple times and make your own, you jackass.

During the space race the US spent millions producing a pen that would work in zero-gravity, the Russians used a pencil.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Due to some earlier TV Couch thread discussion I'm watching The West Wing through from S1 (again), and kinda focusing on the acting, and can I just say it's ridiculous how emotive Richard Schiff's face is? Sure, most of the time he's emoting sadness, disappointment, frustration, or anger, but man does he emote it well.

Also, this time through I don't even hate Mandy. She's just... pointless.

Schiff is really an amazing actor and it's a goddamned crime that he doesn't get more work than he does. Then again, he was in that flick The Infidel, and that was worth a few terrible laughs for watching Richard Schiff play a drunkard jewish cabbie.

(Although I hear he's going to be in the new Superman reboot!)

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Plucky Brit posted:

During the space race the US spent millions producing a pen that would work in zero-gravity, the Russians used a pencil.

They both used pencils, and then an independent inventor came up with a pen on his own initiative and NASA bought some from him so they wouldn't have to worry about floating graphite shorting out their electronics.

king of no pants posted:

Schiff is really an amazing actor and it's a goddamned crime that he doesn't get more work than he does.

He was also in Burn Notice! But he has one talking scene and then they murder him~

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Eikre posted:

I always wondered why there were ashtrays on a submarine at all, then I found out the US Navy only banned smoking on them in 2010.

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!
I just started watching this due to everyone in The Newsroom thread singing its praises, but I really have to say it is a lot better than I thought it would be and although I am only finishing up season 2 I find it amazing how over 10 years ago issues brought up in this show are still issues today. I also find it funny how some of the solutions to said issues have been implemented such as the public service clause to waive student loans... Amazing TV.

It is also great to see actors that made it in the early episodes such as Ron Swanson.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eikre posted:

My favorite lovely pat argument is the one where Donna is talking to Jack Reese

Along this line. Jack Reese is the watch commander at the White House and gets called to the situation room to do a report on his summer vacation force depletion in Equatorial Kundu and is asked how long it'll take

:v: Uuuh, an hour?
:smug: You get 20 minutes. Welcome to the NBA, son.

then he goes up to his office and Donna, breaks an ashtray and then goes to join her at the party! What about the report, man?!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Eikre posted:

He was also in Burn Notice! But he has one talking scene and then they murder him~

I'm surprised of the West Wing alumni that have guested in Psych, (Bradley's one) not one of them has made a reference. I mean, Dule Hill's right there!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Am I the only one who just did not like Toby?

Cheers to whoever posted the clip of (at the risk of oversimplifying it) Josh apologising to that mean lady and the Prez coming and saving the day. That was the most comprehensible, context-explanatory clips of the show I've seen. To misquote:
"Is that too high a price to pay for free speech?"
"No."
:allears:

TinTower posted:

I'm surprised of the West Wing alumni that have guested in Psych, (Bradley's one) not one of them has made a reference. I mean, Dule Hill's right there!
So, THAT's what I knew him from! Argh!
(I saw the pilot of Psych earlier this year, and hadn't watched West Wing in years.)

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 31, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TinTower posted:

I'm pretty sure Bradley Whitford has never been on Psych. He was on In Plain Sight, but not Psych.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how much input the actors have on the script, but I love when Toby repeats back what someone just said to him with different inflection, or he'll just repeat himself.

"The problem is that Oakenwood thinks that the mission of the NEA is to subsidize artists in this country."
"The mission of the NEA IS to subsidize artists, in this country!"

And when Josh is trying to find an excuse to see Amy again.
"We can't just compromise like that!"
"They want us to compromise, like that."

And with the poet laureate
"If you stand up in the president's face that'll be the story, and nobody is going to care about what you care about. Nobody is going to care, about what you care about."

And the whole "they'll like us when we win" speech.

There may be other examples, but those are the lines I know off the top of my head. That's not weird, right?

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
I'm watching The West Wing for the first time, and even though I knew John Spencer had died, I still got all teary-eyed during Election Day Part II.

This show is amazing. I'd already seen Studio 60, but now I want to check out Sport's Night too.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Am I the only one who just did not like Toby?

Pretty sure, yeah. :frogout:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Daveh posted:

I'm watching The West Wing for the first time, and even though I knew John Spencer had died, I still got all teary-eyed during Election Day Part II.

The end of 2162 Votes... :unsmith:

I do like the last half of season 6 and all of season 7 for rehabbing what they did to Leo's character in season 5. I love when Leo and Santos sit down and finally click with each other.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

brylcreem posted:

then he goes up to his office and Donna, breaks an ashtray and then goes to join her at the party! What about the report, man?!

I assumed that the scene with Donna was after he finished the report, which he probably wouldn't have been able to write in his nearly-empty office.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Toby is my favourite character :)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Not liking Toby is a wrong opinion, because Toby is great.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
"Babies come with hats?"

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

withak posted:

I assumed that the scene with Donna was after he finished the report, which he probably wouldn't have been able to write in his nearly-empty office.

Then why does he need an office, if he does his work elsewhere?

The White House is weird. But thanks for the answer!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Doesn't he work out of there? There's the one scene with Donna and Josh where she says how he has the national security lock on his door and then Josh says something about him showing her security information to show off.

I guess that's later though?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He'd been there for like five minutes at that point, I wouldn't be surprised if he had to go somewhere to find a computer or something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

brylcreem posted:

Then why does he need an office, if he does his work elsewhere?

The White House is weird. But thanks for the answer!

Well he just moved in, there isn't even a computer or typewriter in there yet.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Am I the only one who thinks that Margaret never would have been allowed to work in the real White House?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Nah, Margaret's great.

She's weird as hell, but she's incredibly good at her job. We see that more when she with CJ than with Leo, since Leo has the insanity all under control.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Asiina posted:

Nah, Margaret's great.

She's weird as hell, but she's incredibly good at her job. We see that more when she with CJ than with Leo, since Leo has the insanity all under control.

She's efficient, and a great character, but I imagine he was talking about her spying and gossiping sides. It's a fair point, but it doesn't seem unrealistic that nobody says poo poo to the Chief of Staff about his decades-running assistant.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Grand Fromage posted:

He'd been there for like five minutes at that point, I wouldn't be surprised if he had to go somewhere to find a computer or something.
Can't we just agree that there is no way that a force depletion report is done in 20 minutes by a brand new employee who earmarks a part of that time for socialization?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Can someone quickly explain why John Goodman took over as president instead of the vice president? I started rewatching at the start of season 5 and can't remember the end of season 4.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
John Hoynes resigned in the previous episode because he leaked a bunch of information which resulted in an embarrassing tell all book. It's a really good episode, you should go out of your way. Matthew Perry really surprises me - I think of him as the 4th or 5th funniest cast member of a decent sitcom, so to see that kind of range was unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

fuf posted:

Can someone quickly explain why John Goodman took over as president instead of the vice president? I started rewatching at the start of season 5 and can't remember the end of season 4.
There was no VP at the time, Hoynes had resigned just before over a sex scandal. That's why it was such a big deal to envoke the 25th amendment, because "they were elevating the most powerful republican in the land" or whatever the quote is.

That's also why there is a new speaker who causes all the Shutdown stuff. Really great continuity plot threading in the WW.

Although that reminds me of another scene I don't like. When Walken does his little speech about Archduke Franz Ferdinand and the Black Hand, as though he's an impressive political history scholar. He's talking to the senior staff of the President of the United States, high schoolers know what caused WW1. Same with explaining why he had to resign. Everyone in the room works at the highest level of government. I know it's for the audience and you have to forgive it slightly, but the WW is usually so great at getting that kind of information across without an exposition hammer.

Is Donna in that scene? I can't remember. She's usually the audience proxy.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 1, 2012

• Locked thread