Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Are you sure it's not the cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
Lots of guitars buzz at different angles for lots of different reasons. Could be the pickups, could be the shielding inside the guitar, could be the cable, could be the amp, could be a light socket wherever you are giving off a high amount of EMF, lots of possible issues. But, your best bet still might be to take it to a professional who could investigate it for you.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Your best bet it to have a friend over with their guitar and see if your setup sill buzzes. If it doesn't THEN bring it in to a professional.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Does it buzz through an amp?

Computer inputs can be really gainy. Consistent buzz/hum is not usually a connection quality problem. If the jack were loose the signal would be cutting in and out.

Often the culprit is the computer itself. Hard drives are just big electromagnet disks, and when it spins up those electromagnetic waves will induce a current in, well, every piece of matter with electrons, but especially the guitar's electrified parts.

You can get a longer cable so as to isolate the guitar and computer a bit, but then the added length of wire also increases the amount of current induced from the computer and other ambient sources.

Shielding is really the only way to guard against rogue electromagnetism. Many guitars come with shielding, AKA tin foil, on the inside. Open up your guitar's backplate and see if there is layer of foil on it. Shielded cables can also help.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 31, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
Do you have CFL lightbulbs or a regular lightbulb on a dimmer switch close to where you play? Sometimes they can throw out horrendous amounts of buzz.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

What are good options for Stratpcaster style guitars not made by Fender? I've got an Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow, and I want something very different, so I'm thinking a 3 pickup, single coil with a whammy might be a very good option here. Just wanted to know what to investigate outside of the standard Fender Strats.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I've tinkered with my wires for a while and it's been very inconsistent. Identical settings will cause my guitar to be either completely silent or very buzzy. It's not serious enough to really warrant paying someone to look at it, so I'll just deal with it, since I can usually get at least some tracks down without buzz.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
For CRM:

Well, the major question here is do you want strat-only or is a superstrat (bottom pickup is a humbucker) acceptable? And what's your budget? Do you want a fender copy or something that is certainly not a fender copy despite having three coils?

For the guitars that are not fender copies, three brands pop into mind. These guitars will get you _noticed_ by anyone who knows guitars. Because they will go 'what the hell is that' and 'can I try it?'

Hanson.

http://www.hansonguitars.com/cigno.htm

This Cigno is a set-neck triple P-90 pickup guitar, with a Bigsby. Five way switch, master vol, master tone.

Reverend.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/bolt_on_series/six_gun.html

Reverend has a couple options, but this Six-Gun has a nice Tele at the bridge, a floating trem, bolt-on neck, strat neck and mid. I wouldn't mind one myself.

Malden.

http://www.maldenguitars.com/storeUtopia3ts.htm

Not the most well known brand, but I've got one of their Subhumans and it is a blues playing badass that will go all the way from Albert King to Iron Maiden in a stomp on a pedal. Nice mids, but it will rock your world if pushed.
This is their wonderful offset design (I do like offsets) with strat pickups.

For the guitars that are fender copies or close relations?

Xaviere.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-870-Double-Cutaway-Solid-Body_c_152.html
Xaviere is cheap, but darn good. Easily the equal of getting a Mexi-Strat. This one's a strat copy.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-890HSS-Humbucker-Single-Single-Floyd-Rose-Special-Equipped-_c_380.html
This one's weirder. HSS superstrat. Floyd Rose trem. Reverse headstock. Set neck.

Godin.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinperfseriesp.htm
Session and Profession would fit to start with. Cheapest Made in America guitars you'll find. Heavy suckers, but very nice. Not as nice as Reverends or Hansons, I feel.

There's more expensive brands. Everyone has a Strat copy somewhere. Ibanez, PRS, anywhere. The questions really is how much budget you have and what features you feel you need.

The other question, of course, is 'why don't you want a Fender?' The less expensive ones are really quite nice these days, and quite affordable.

I'm saving up for a Fender Marauder, myself.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MarMPLPB/

For all intents and purposes, that's a HSS strat wiring scheme, except that the neck is a Jazzmaster. You _can_ make it quack like a Strat.

These are all serious questions. As you can see, you've got a lot of options available to you. This is just a small subset and sampling. None of the guitars here should be much over $500. One's less than $200. You could be happy with any of them. Just tell us more of what you want, and I'll help you narrow it down... or expand your horizons.

(Imgur is being a pain. Click on the links, you will enjoy the pretty pictures.)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 1, 2012

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Seconding the Malden. I got a Liquid (2 P-90's) when they were blowing out there remaining inventory and got one with what they say was an unmatched top. Shipped it cost me about $215 can is one of my favorite guitars I own.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
They're $400-ish now. We got 'em when the getting was good. I paid, what, 250? for the Subhuman, but the prices are all raised. Now they're just good deals on good guitars. Then, they were effing insaaaaaane.

Edit: Subhuman is $699. That's about right. Still a good deal at that price.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Warcabbit posted:

They're $400-ish now. We got 'em when the getting was good. I paid, what, 250? for the Subhuman, but the prices are all raised. Now they're just good deals on good guitars. Then, they were effing insaaaaaane.

Edit: Subhuman is $699. That's about right. Still a good deal at that price.

Yeah I bought it completely compulsively, I figured for a couple hundred bucks, if it sucked I would just crank up the action and use it as a slide guitar. Much to my surprise and delight I discovered it played and sounded amazing straight out of the box.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

How dumb of an idea would it be to bike in 92 degree weather for about half an hour with an (acoustic) guitar? I have one of those Taylor soft/hard carry cases with the straps. Would the heat really get to it that badly? For reference it's like 85 in my non-air-conditioned apartment right now so it's not like there'd be a huge change...

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Your guitar is far more likely to be damaged by you falling off your bike than the heat. Any temperature change will put your strings out of tune, but once you're indoors for a few minutes it'll go back to normal.

On the Strat copy discussion:

Yamaha makes an excellent strat-style guitar starting around $200 - the Pacifica. They go up to ~$700 for the gorgeous "Custom" models (mine came with a coil tap!). You might have trouble finding the better Pacifica models, but the cheaper ones are fairly common.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The low end Godin Session, with the HSS setup, comes with a coil tap for the H. Godins are surprisingly nice.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Warcabbit: Thanks for the info.

Right now I'm shooting for some Pink Floyd, Hendrix or early Pearl Jam type stuff - I can't exactly get the whammy dives on the Yellow Ledbetter solo on this Artcore.

Cheaper is better - less wife stress :)

I'm not opposed to a Strat, I just know there's lots of copies which might provide as good or better quality at a better price.

My teacher plays a G&L Legacy and that thing is bloody amazing. He's customized it a good deal so it's not like I can go pick one up off the shelf

Those Xaviere, are they really that great? That's an amazing price.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

CalvinDooglas posted:

Your guitar is far more likely to be damaged by you falling off your bike than the heat. Any temperature change will put your strings out of tune, but once you're indoors for a few minutes it'll go back to normal.

I figured as much, but though I'd ask as not crashing is something I can control, as opposed to the heat. Sounds like I don't have too much to be worried about, barring getting plastered by a semi, in which case I'd probably have more to be concerned with than a broken guitar...

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

CalvinDooglas posted:

On the Strat copy discussion:

Yamaha makes an excellent strat-style guitar starting around $200 - the Pacifica. They go up to ~$700 for the gorgeous "Custom" models (mine came with a coil tap!). You might have trouble finding the better Pacifica models, but the cheaper ones are fairly common.

Quoted for truth. Pacificas are great guitars, especially the 112V models. They are 'fat' strats, but they have a coli tap so you can get some proper 'strat' tones as and when you need them. Their build quality is especially good as well.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-pac112v-electric-guitar

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

crm posted:

Those Xaviere, are they really that great? That's an amazing price.

They're not that great. They're that good. There's a difference. That great would be something that was as good as any American-Made Stratocaster. But yeah, I'd put them up against a MiM Strat. They've got outstanding pickups, really good necks. If they've upgraded the Strat copies like they did my last offset from them, the frets are very well done, and rounded off at the edge. The generation before had slightly sharp edges. We're talking alnico pickups, alder body, low action, whole nine yards.

My personal main is a Xaviere, an offset. And, as said above, I have a $700 guitar that's a really good guitar for that price... and I play the Xaviere more.

The only place they fall down is that the body isn't of the highest quality wood. And the routing inside is a little rough. Nothing wrong with it, just not hand-sanded in the inside cavities. It is shielded, though. But it looks good, and it plays well. And, unlike a cheap Fender, you get a full sized metal trem, not a half sized zinc one.

There _may_ be minor QC issues, but nothing you can't repair yourself with a little work. And, most importantly, you can do whatever the hell you want with it because it won't hurt so much when you screw it up. Change the tuners! Try a different trem block! Build a new pickguard with your own custom stuff, and see what happens!

Basically, though, I wouldn't be ashamed to lend a Xaviere to Dave Gilmour if he wandered past and asked for a guitar. And he would rock it in an awesome manner, and it would stand up to what he asked of it.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-870-Darkside-Special-Edition-Black-with-White-Hardware_p_1243.html

Dave Gilmour not accidentally chosen as an example.

Tetrahedron: Hydrate well. Really, not falling off was my opinion as well.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 1, 2012

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Damnit Warcabbit you've got me gassing so damned bad for one of those Xaviere xv 560's from the other thread that instead of sleeping at night I stay up and look at pretty guitar pictures. I know you posted about a sale they had a few weeks ago, do you know how regular of an occurrence those sales are? I mean their whole range of guitars look like great deals already, but now that I've seen that I can get one with a hard case, shipped, for ~$200 I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on the same thing for $350, even though that would appear to still be a really, really good deal.

Now that some complete bastard bought the blem one I was looking at, it looks like I'm either going to have to wait for another sale, or for the factory guys to all show up hungover as hell and start producing more blems. Maybe if I sent them a case of everclear....

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-560-SOLID-Maple-Top-Semi-Hollowbody-Alnico-P90s_c_187.html

It is a pretty pretty beast. The sales happen... eh, quarterly. Wow. The Clearance section is almost empty! It'll probably get refilled in a month.
There is one good deal left, though.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-970-Rockabily-Guitars-FINAL-CLEARANCE_c_409.html
How Chet do you feel, my friend?

Does it make you feel better or worse if I tell you they have whole new lines of Acoustics? Including an Acoustic Bass.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Acoustic-Guitars_c_361.html
The Medium Jumbo Cutaway in red is pretty tempting.

Hm. They're probably not refilling the clearance section because they've had an all hands evolution out at that warehouse they bought full of random stuff. I can't wait for that to show up, I'm grabbing a fretless bass neck for someone I know... and I think I'mma gonna build me a superstrat. Maybe with a Jazzmaster body if there's one. There's probably one.

(GFS bought an entire warehouse of returned or unfinished parts from overseas. I'm thinking it's probably Samick, but you never know. I saw Yamaha, Dean, Fender, Gibson... maybe PRS... necks and bodies in it. They'll be selling for pennies on the dollar. It's like Bootleg Warmoth day! As soon as they get it up on the web. Which should be any day now, they were targeting the 31st.)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 2, 2012

crm
Oct 24, 2004

That XV-870 "Darkside" is getting me hot and bothered, I'm not afraid to admit that.

Actually can anybody give me a lesson on stuff related to the build / design of a guitar?

Like what's an offset or a cutaway? Bolt on versus uh through? What should I pay attention to and what should I avoid?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sort of a goofy question - should I be putting my old guitar strings in the recycling bin or the trash can?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

crm posted:

That XV-870 "Darkside" is getting me hot and bothered, I'm not afraid to admit that.

Actually can anybody give me a lesson on stuff related to the build / design of a guitar?

Like what's an offset or a cutaway? Bolt on versus uh through? What should I pay attention to and what should I avoid?
This gets tricky. There's a great book on guitars I recommend anyone get.
http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Guitar-Sourcebook-Sounds-Softcover/dp/0879308869/ref=sr_1_5

This will basically tell you everything you need to know about what kinds of electric guitars there are.

This is not difficult, but it will take a while to explain all of it. There's a lot.

Some simple details, and please feel free to google brand names and models for pictures. And youtube them for sounds.

There are two main brands of guitar. Fender and Gibson. There are many others, but those are the two core from which most things vary.
Gibson makes the Les Paul. (they make other things, yadda, and I'm not getting into hollowbody)
The Les Paul looks like a flat classical guitar with a chunk taken out near the neck, so you can finger lower frets. That's a cutaway. Les Paul necks are glued into the body, which increases sustain.

Fender makes the Telecaster and Stratocaster, which have somewhat different shapes. Fender guitars have necks bolted onto the body. Less sustain, but you can adjust them easier, and repair and replace them for much less than fixing a Gibson.

Offset guitars, most famously the Fender Jazzmaster and Mustang, are what happens when you basically take a Stratocaster, slice it in half lengthwise, and slide the bottom down about three inches. The waist is diagonal. They look melted.
They're very comfortable to play sitting, but they're not common. They do seem to be growing more so, though.

Manky: A really good question. Apparently they _should_ be recyclable, but call your local town hall/recycling center to find out. I'm going to start recycling mine.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 2, 2012

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Manky posted:

Sort of a goofy question - should I be putting my old guitar strings in the recycling bin or the trash can?

Honestly I have no idea but I always figured there must be some sort of awesome art or craft project that could be done with discarded strings.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

HollisBrown posted:

Honestly I have no idea but I always figured there must be some sort of awesome art or craft project that could be done with discarded strings.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

HollisBrown posted:

:colbert:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, I never snap my 6ths. You can just save up a few when you're changing them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hah, yeah, my ex made a few nifty flowers out of my old strings, but changing two guitars even semi-monthly has them piling up fast. Thanks guys, I'll check out what my township says.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-560-SOLID-Maple-Top-Semi-Hollowbody-Alnico-P90s_c_187.html

It is a pretty pretty beast. The sales happen... eh, quarterly. Wow. The Clearance section is almost empty! It'll probably get refilled in a month.
There is one good deal left, though.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-970-Rockabily-Guitars-FINAL-CLEARANCE_c_409.html
How Chet do you feel, my friend?

Does it make you feel better or worse if I tell you they have whole new lines of Acoustics? Including an Acoustic Bass.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Acoustic-Guitars_c_361.html
The Medium Jumbo Cutaway in red is pretty tempting.

Hm. They're probably not refilling the clearance section because they've had an all hands evolution out at that warehouse they bought full of random stuff. I can't wait for that to show up, I'm grabbing a fretless bass neck for someone I know... and I think I'mma gonna build me a superstrat. Maybe with a Jazzmaster body if there's one. There's probably one.

(GFS bought an entire warehouse of returned or unfinished parts from overseas. I'm thinking it's probably Samick, but you never know. I saw Yamaha, Dean, Fender, Gibson... maybe PRS... necks and bodies in it. They'll be selling for pennies on the dollar. It's like Bootleg Warmoth day! As soon as they get it up on the web. Which should be any day now, they were targeting the 31st.)

drat, that is a great deal on the 970, but I'm not feelin quite Chet enough to sway me from the 560 unfortunately. That damned 560 has me by the balls and I don't think there's a damned thing I can do about it until it's here in my hands. Quarterly sales looks like I'll probably be able to hold off until about a week before they have the next one before I break down completely, just say gently caress it and through a watery veil of tears while I sob uncontrolably like a 4 year old at 3am one morning, I'll order one at full price.

That parts emporium sounds pretty interesting though. Wish I had the tools and the time available to be able to take advantage of a thing like that and frankenstein myself together something beautiful/scary/stupid.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, poo poo, man. Have some music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHM3TxnPLfQ

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

haha I'll see your Cycle Sluts From Hell and raise you the best, most comprehensive review I found of the XV-560 while searching for info and opinions of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwgL9Hv-aI

She Xaviere XV-560 is a unique guitar. I have done lots of modicafictions to it. I GIVE IT TO MY SISTER.

THIS IS NOT A GODDAM "DEMO!" THIS IS A "EXHIBIT" OF MY DEAD CAT!
I WENT TO THE 2011 RAINBOW FAMILY GATHERING & MY CAT DIED...JUST PINED AWAY!!!!

THIS IN HONOR OF DEAD KITTY I MAKE THIS VIDEO!!!! R.I.P.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
IT HAS BEGUN!
https://guitarfetish.3dcartstores.com/Factory-Blowout-Clearance-Sale_c_410.html

GF is starting to put up some of the factory buyout stuff.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That thar is not the best guitar demo ever.

It is only a tribute. TO MY CAT.

I love it. Picked up a strat-shaped neck and a swimming pool routed strat body w/floating trem, and a USA two point trem. At the very least, I'm going to rebuild that cheap Starcaster into a good Strat. I already replaced most of the parts in it, so it's going to donate them to the new body and neck. Gonna keep it a reverse tuxedo.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm thinking really hard about picking this one up.
https://guitarfetish.3dcartstores.com/Daphne-Blue-Swimming-Pool-Route-Double-Cutaway-Body_p_4701.html

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
God drat, I really want to buy a cheap tele style body & neck, but even at these prices, I really shouldn't be spending the money, and I'm sure as soon as I'll have the funds, the good bodies'll be gone :( Awesome deals for those that pick 'em up.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Clitch posted:

I have a planet waves locking strap that I use on a guitar with strap locks. Don't ask.

For my ugly beater, on the other hand, only one strap lock will do.

Bullshit. I have five electrics, only one of which is a beater and three are very much not, and they've all held like concrete during multiple reasonably long tours with me flailing like an disjointed robot (I play in a glitchy math-rock band) using only Grolsch straplocks :colbert:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

That thar is not the best guitar demo ever.

It is only a tribute. TO MY CAT.

Hell, I ain't got no PIG NOSE. I hate pIG NOSE sound. & beside that there this here isn't not no "REVIEW" of the ZAVIEERREE FETISH guitar. HELL, I TORE THE PICKUP OUT and CHANGED most things in a SCHIZOPHRENIAC FIT.
This is a VIDEO to show REVERANCE to the DEAD KITTY! RIP. I went to RAINBOW GATHERING & the KITTY DIED !!!!
Oh WOE is ME!!! You don't like my stinking video? YOU CAT NAZI!

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Saw a guy playing a Parker guitar tonight. The headstock is really odd, but it was a good looking and nice sounding guitar.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
So I finally have finished up with grad school and have a job and all those good things that make me want to spend money on poo poo I've wanted forever. A few years ago ('08 maybe?) I was loving addicted to the idea of a Gibson Robot guitar; I do electronics and robotics and such and it's an awesome application of those things to my hobby of music. In theory anyways. I found a green (ick!) SG at a guitar shop in Anchorage with a Robot for ~$600 or so and passed it up because I was a poor-rear end student at the time. Few years roll by and 1) they aren't made anymore apparently (?) and 2) the used ones are hellaciously expensive (2kish? Yikes!).

What's the deal? Do they actually suck in practice? Is the robot system available anywhere else? Did I actually save myself a lot of money and heartache? Should I save a ton of money by just buying a halfway decent tuner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Delta-Wye posted:

So I finally have finished up with grad school and have a job and all those good things that make me want to spend money on poo poo I've wanted forever. A few years ago ('08 maybe?) I was loving addicted to the idea of a Gibson Robot guitar; I do electronics and robotics and such and it's an awesome application of those things to my hobby of music. In theory anyways. I found a green (ick!) SG at a guitar shop in Anchorage with a Robot for ~$600 or so and passed it up because I was a poor-rear end student at the time. Few years roll by and 1) they aren't made anymore apparently (?) and 2) the used ones are hellaciously expensive (2kish? Yikes!).

What's the deal? Do they actually suck in practice? Is the robot system available anywhere else? Did I actually save myself a lot of money and heartache? Should I save a ton of money by just buying a halfway decent tuner?

Robot is not made anymore. Nowadays you have chips in guitars that autotune instantly with perfect intonation so robots mechanical setup is useless.

I can't vouch for this since I haven't used it yet but check out this if you are interested in robot: http://line6.com/guitars#jamestylervariax