Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

mastershakeman posted:

Pandora on my E3D won't ever get past 1% buffering, what gives?

With the new update? On wifi or 3g?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="406138547"]
With the new update? On wifi or 3g?

On either 3g or 4g,fresh install, ics rom.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

drat it, I was hoping Sprint Rewards Me Plus might add some more S3 inventory with it being the start of a new month and all, but I guess not. Wondering now if the S3 on there was a one time thing :(

Sell 10 S3s and you get one yourself (yes if I remember right you no longer sell sprint).

I like the promo though, expect a S3 on SA !art round september time.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Duckman2008 posted:

Sell 10 S3s and you get one yourself (yes if I remember right you no longer sell sprint).

I like the promo though, expect a S3 on SA !art round september time.
Yeah I haven't sold phones in a while, my wife is the one with the Rewards Me account :)

Looks like selling 10 just gets you into a drawing for one according to the fine print, although they are giving away 250 of them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

Yeah I haven't sold phones in a while, my wife is the one with the Rewards Me account :)

Looks like selling 10 just gets you into a drawing for one according to the fine print, although they are giving away 250 of them.

Oh drat, that's a slight bummer. Rewards Me has sucked ever since the iPhone came out anyway.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I recently (1 month ago) upgraded to get the GNex. I just found out in 2 months I'm going to be out of the country for a year for work (not military related).

What is the cheapest way I can keep my number for when I return to the US? I assume that I can't suspend for a year. Is the only option to buyout of my contract, port to google voice, and cancel for $350?

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Is it OK to ask this here?

I rooted my Galaxy Nexus when I got it, and looking into it, I can't install OTA updates due to having CWM recovery instead of the stock recovery. I could wait for the community to tweak and release the updates to install through CWM, but I'd rather get them OTA from Sprint. How would I go about switching my CWM recovery to the stock recovery? Could I do this and keep everything else the same? I've found plenty of info on installing CWM instead of stock recovery, but not anything about the other way around.

Thanks a ton for any help.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aredna posted:

I recently (1 month ago) upgraded to get the GNex. I just found out in 2 months I'm going to be out of the country for a year for work (not military related).

What is the cheapest way I can keep my number for when I return to the US? I assume that I can't suspend for a year. Is the only option to buyout of my contract, port to google voice, and cancel for $350?

Find someone who wants a sprint nexus and do a transfer of liability?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

mastershakeman posted:

I just used Pandora for the first time in a few weeks on my Gnex which is running CM10. First song plays, anything after that gets stuck buffering.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

mastershakeman posted:

Mine has also been doing this for 2 or 3 weeks now on 3G and it's essentially unusable. I don't think it happened immediately after an update or anything like that so I have no clue what's going on. I'd be curious to know if you find out anything about this. I'm on a SGS 3 if that matters.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Retarded Pimp posted:

Just had a big system update on my Gnex this morning, what was that about?

Got this as well. Its a few background tweaks but the main things is that it removes Local Search. The Google Search Field no longer searches your phone's content, only Google due to the Apple patent lawsuit

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I am getting some glitches with Chrome and the keyboard disappearing, especially in chrome. Can't find anything else yet.

First 24 hour opinion: Really enjoy it

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

mastershakeman posted:

Been doing it for me all morning on my GNex too.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Find someone who wants a sprint nexus and do a transfer of liability?

How would that impact keeping the cell number? I've had the same for several years now and would prefer not to lose it.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Hoppy posted:

There are not good phones with hardware keyboards because they cater to a very niche market, and the phones typically do not end up well supported. It also introduces a moving part to your phone which increases the chance of eventual failure.

Keep in mind with Android, you can install whatever keyboard you want. While you still have your Evo, give Swiftkey a shot and see if it takes care of your issues.

As far as touchscreen phones with a big screen, both the Evo 4GLTE and Galaxy S3 would fit the bill. I am absolutely in love with my S3.

It looks like I may go with the Photon, pending how good the aftermarket scene is. I love CM, so that's the main factor in picking my phone. Most of the other phones out right now have too big of screen for my taste, too. I'm going to check out swiftkey, though!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Q_res posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Basically change the fonts/icons to make it appear cleaner/smoother, add the ICS multitasking menu, and change the launcher at the bottom of the screen to a webOS style dock. That's not the full extent of the changes, some of the apps have been reworked as well, like the browser but that's the jist of it.

In my opinion, the ICS version of the Gmail app alone is worth upgrading. I really missed that when I went back to Gingerbread on my Evo 3D (from an early build of MeanROM)

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

brc64 posted:

In my opinion, the ICS version of the Gmail app alone is worth upgrading. I really missed that when I went back to Gingerbread on my Evo 3D (from an early build of MeanROM)

This times a million. I looked at some screenshots of the non-ICS Gmail app and boy did I forget how awful it looks.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

Got this as well. Its a few background tweaks but the main things is that it removes Local Search. The Google Search Field no longer searches your phone's content, only Google due to the Apple patent lawsuit

Ok, I got excited when it updated all my app and had to reboot, hoping it was the JB update.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Google released the Jelly Bean binaries for the Nexus S 4G. One can only hope this means the update is coming soon.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers#crespo4gjro03h

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ninmeister posted:

Google released the Jelly Bean binaries for the Nexus S 4G. One can only hope this means the update is coming soon.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers#crespo4gjro03h

I can only hope they get on the ball with the Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

The Entire Universe posted:

I can only hope they get on the ball with the Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

It will be hilarious if the Nexus S 4G gets Jellybean before the Galaxy Nexus...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

brc64 posted:

It will be hilarious if the Nexus S 4G gets Jellybean before the Galaxy Nexus...

I'm actually starting to think that will happen.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

So far this seems to be the most promising thing I've seen as far as a rooted ICS update goes, but I don't know...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1808332

It says there's problems with wifi connecting, which is troubling. Has anybody who has installed the official ICS update had issues with wifi? I don't think I want to install this...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm actually starting to think that will happen.

I've already accepted that it will happen.

I need the data but there are levels of existence I am prepared to accept if T-Mobile comes to town.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

brc64 posted:

So far this seems to be the most promising thing I've seen as far as a rooted ICS update goes, but I don't know...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1808332

It says there's problems with wifi connecting, which is troubling. Has anybody who has installed the official ICS update had issues with wifi? I don't think I want to install this...

I just don't understand why the XDA "chefs" can't put out a simple stock rooted rom. Makes you wonder what they did to it considering Wifi is broken.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlyingCheese posted:

I just don't understand why the XDA "chefs" can't put out a simple stock rooted rom. Makes you wonder what they did to it considering Wifi is broken.

They can't because they're like the teenagers who basically are physically unable to drive a car that doesn't have 100lbs of useless fiberglass bolted to the body.

And so they hack voodoo sound, voltage tweaks, unreliable file systems, and all sorts of other bullshit that do little outside of damage system stability.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

They can't because they're like the teenagers who basically are physically unable to drive a car that doesn't have 100lbs of useless fiberglass bolted to the body.

And so they hack voodoo sound, voltage tweaks, unreliable file systems, and all sorts of other bullshit that do little outside of damage system stability.

This is what my fear always is when I look for roms on there. I want something simple but by the time I go through all the poo poo I get frustrated and blow it off. I rooted my phone last night to test drive JB but then by the time I got into the SG3 forums I said gently caress it and blew it off. I know AOSP is probably the best way to go but there is so much crap on there that says AOSP I get tired of looking. Then I see AOKP and try to figure out the difference, which I gather is the same thing but probably a little tweak so it's completely different. Then everyone bitches about not getting one thing to work but it's ok because they added this feature which has nothing to do with what you need and act like it's the greatest poo poo ever. So then everybody does the same thing but changes one button and claim they have a whole new rom or some bullshit but doesn't fix the problem. Ultimately, I begin to think I'm better off taking my chances waiting for the phone companies to send updates since they don't really "dick wave" about putting out updates (considering).

Sorry for this rant but I get pretty drat frustrated reading that site when all I'm looking for is something simple.

thisdude23 fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 2, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bobula posted:

So I've got an upgrade coming up in a few months. I have an Evo 4G that I'll hopefully be rid of then, if I can find the right phone. Is there something coming out soonish that has a hardware keyboard and won't be a piece of poo poo, or something without a keyboard, with around a 4" screen that won't be a piece of poo poo? I'm kind of tired of having a largish screen and just want something that fits nice, and I'm burned out on touchscreen keyboards too, unless I find one that's just right.
I like my HTC Arrive a lot.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

FlyingCheese posted:

To be fair, I've seen a few ROMs that are simply stock rooted or very close to stock.

Also, to be fair to you, yes there are heaps and heaps of mad scientist ROMs out there as well.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

CharlesM posted:

I like my HTC Arrive a lot.

By the time my upgrade comes (October or November) the Arrive is going to be pretty low on the totem pole. Not to mention, Windows Mobile. The size of that phone is pretty nice, though.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I have a Sprint Galaxy S3. When I go to the notifications dropdown to toggle from Sound > Vibrate > Mute, and then I toggle back to "Sound" again, my media volume stays muted. The only thing I've found to fix this is to reboot the phone. Having headphones plugged in to the audio jack doesn't seem to make a difference either.

I upgraded to the latest LG8 firmware, but it's still intermittent. Happens maybe 30% of the time instead of 90% now. I'm within the 14 day return; can I exchange it for a different S3? I'm worried that when I take it into the store, I won't be able to reproduce the problem and they'll just think I'm crazy/abusing the system.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Any Optimus S users know what to do about Swype adding a bunch of non-words to the dictionary? Supposedly this comes from automatically adding every manually typed word to the dictionary, and the 'stable' version isn't supposed to do this, but I doubt Sprint would push a beta version. Is sprint just not bothering to push updated versions?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

the littlest prince posted:

Any Optimus S users know what to do about Swype adding a bunch of non-words to the dictionary? Supposedly this comes from automatically adding every manually typed word to the dictionary, and the 'stable' version isn't supposed to do this, but I doubt Sprint would push a beta version. Is sprint just not bothering to push updated versions?

I hated Swype for that. Made me switch to Swiftkey, which I don't regret at all. Best keyboard out there.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

thisdude23 posted:

I want something simple but by the time I go through all the poo poo I get frustrated and blow it off.
Here's the problem. For the SGS3 and every other non-Nexus device there's basically two kinds of ROMs:

1. The latest stock ROM, and its xda shat-up variants.

2. CyanogenMod, which is source-built from AOSP usually with somewhat extensive porting effort. AOKP is more or less a derivative of that. And their xda shat-up variants.

The problem with the SGS3 is that there's no leaked Jellybean stock ROM. The best you can do are the CyanogenMod 10 previews that are out there, which are quite functional, but is still a work in progress due to the porting effort required.

Otherwise, literally everything else "Jellybean" on xda is a waste of your time.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

bobula posted:

By the time my upgrade comes (October or November) the Arrive is going to be pretty low on the totem pole. Not to mention, Windows Mobile. The size of that phone is pretty nice, though.

The Arrive is worth about the same as an Evo so you could pretty much get it for free and save your upgrade

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I updated my Evo 3D to ICS. Now when I'm on Roaming, I'm told I haven't enabled roaming data. The settings look like I've enabled it. I updated PRL but I haven't been on roaming since then to check it out. Anyone else seeing this?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
So something weird is happening. I posted a few days ago how my mic/speaker has been acting up. Mainly distortions when I'm speaking, sometimes when they are. At times I hear them perfect and they can't understand a thing I'm saying. I look at the signal bar when it's doing it and it's usually 60% or better on the bars.

Edit: It's using the phone mic, a 3.5mm headset that has a mic, and even bluetooth microphone.

Not Edited:

Earlier someone called me, and said as soon as the voicemail picked up, it went going to static/barely able to understand it.

Is it possible for it being Sprint's line to be messed up? And if so, is there any way to get it fixed or looked at? It's been doing this maybe a week, to a week and a half.

uapyro fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 2, 2012

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The problem with the SGS3 is that there's no leaked Jellybean stock ROM. The best you can do are the CyanogenMod 10 previews that are out there, which are quite functional, but is still a work in progress due to the porting effort required.

Otherwise, literally everything else "Jellybean" on xda is a waste of your time.
Sweet, you just saved me from reading... thanks.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

uapyro posted:

So something weird is happening. I posted a few days ago how my mic/speaker has been acting up. Mainly distortions when I'm speaking, sometimes when they are. At times I hear them perfect and they can't understand a thing I'm saying. I look at the signal bar when it's doing it and it's usually 60% or better on the bars.

Edit: It's using the phone mic, a 3.5mm headset that has a mic, and even bluetooth microphone.

Not Edited:

Earlier someone called me, and said as soon as the voicemail picked up, it went going to static/barely able to understand it.

Is it possible for it being Sprint's line to be messed up? And if so, is there any way to get it fixed or looked at? It's been doing this maybe a week, to a week and a half.

My boyfriend put CM9 on his SGS2 and for some weird reason it did just this. I could barely understand a thing he said, and he thought it was something wrong with the phone. Then he put a stock rom back on and it fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Okay, I'm loving lost. Everything I can find on XDA looks like it's some full ROM that you need to wipe before installing. I just want the drat OTA without having to worry about losing root (not sure what they do to make this happen...). In this past, this has usually been available within 24 hours, but if that's the case here, I can't find it... any suggestions?