Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That's some pretty powerful framing, laz0rbeak. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I'll just think that this is the doctor from Arrested Development. She lost the baby, but it's okay because moments later she found him playing in the laundry basket.

THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

"Did you think that I would let you in the hospital if there was a chance of the baby being born healthy?

She lost it thirty minutes ago."

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Why on Earth would you ever conceive a child in the Negative Zone, where would you even find the time? Isn't it full of murderous psychotic bug-things constantly trying to kill everything?

"Hey, darling, Ben and Johnny are doing fine holding off the Annihilation Wave there, why don't we leave them to it, recline the Fantasticar seat and have a few minutes to ourselves, what do you say?"

:psyduck:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think the baby wasn't actually conceived in the Negative Zone, but Susan went there every weekend before she found out she was pregnant. It wouldn't be the Fantastic Four without dipping off to a parallel dimension full of deadly radiation on a regular basis.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Terry Moore tackled the same thing in Strangers in Paradise, and was very effective at conveying the loss on the part of the mother.

Still super depressing no matter how many times I see it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mr. Maltose posted:

I think the baby wasn't actually conceived in the Negative Zone, but Susan went there every weekend before she found out she was pregnant. It wouldn't be the Fantastic Four without dipping off to a parallel dimension full of deadly radiation on a regular basis.

No, there was a good chunk of issues where they were in the Negative Zone for like weeks. Presumably, Reed and Sue did the nasty at least once during that time, and that's when the kid was conceived.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Breetai posted:

Terry Moore tackled the same thing in Strangers in Paradise, and was very effective at conveying the loss on the part of the mother.

Still super depressing no matter how many times I see it.

That's amazingly done.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sentinel Red posted:

Why on Earth would you ever conceive a child in the Negative Zone, where would you even find the time? Isn't it full of murderous psychotic bug-things constantly trying to kill everything?

"Hey, darling, Ben and Johnny are doing fine holding off the Annihilation Wave there, why don't we leave them to it, recline the Fantasticar seat and have a few minutes to ourselves, what do you say?"

:psyduck:

Negative Zone's a dangerous place with lots of terrible people in it but it's also mostly uninhabited. Captain Marvel and Rick Jones used to just float there for days at a time and just be completely bored out of their skulls.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Nope, it definitely was conceived in the negative zone. Partly because they were in the zone for months while only a few days passed in the rest of the world (to speed up her pregnancy to ten issues where only around 3 months passed, marvel time), and partly because they flat out say that's where conception happened in the issue where Sue finds out she's pregnant. Ben's reaction:

Ben: Well, you scamps! Looks like more'n just scientific exploration wuz goin' on while we wuz in the negative zone!

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think Daredevil #10 is my single favorite issue since I got back into buying floppies last year. Here, DD's coming after Mole Man because he stole a bunch of coffins from a cemetery, including his father's.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Holy poo poo. I need to read Daredevil regularly. That's an amazing scene.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Holy poo poo, Mole Man's pretty bad rear end.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Cabbit posted:

Holy poo poo, Mole Man's pretty bad rear end.

Just because you chump out to the Fantastic Four doesn't mean you are a chump, in fact it pretty much means the opposite. Whenever an FF villain goes up against any other hero you can expect the hero to basically get the holy hell kicked out of them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Just because you chump out to the Fantastic Four doesn't mean you are a chump, in fact it pretty much means the opposite. Whenever an FF villain goes up against any other hero you can expect the hero to basically get the holy hell kicked out of them.

Reminds me of that Batroc one-shot Kieron Gillen did a while back. Yes, Captain America and the Winter Soldier kick his rear end regularly, but he can actually give Steve or Bucky a fight, which is a hell of a lot more than your average gang thug can do.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't think Mole Man's ever been shown as a hand to hand menace. He usually lets his legion of monsters do the work.

For me, it doesn't detract from how awesome the scene is, but that is a valid complaint.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Mole Man developed his own fighting style similar to bojutsu and is a very skilled, self-taught hand-to-hand fighter. Always has been.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I think he actually managed to at least sort of beat Ben in his first appearance. Granted, the Thing was quite different back then.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's the second Waid Daredevil segment posted in this thread (the first was the one with the school trip in the snow) that I've thought seemed really overbearing and cheesy and not all that good at all. I want to try and get into Waid's run because I hear good things and the art is nice but both bits posted in here have really put me off.

Entertainer13
Apr 25, 2009

Bown posted:

That's the second Waid Daredevil segment posted in this thread (the first was the one with the school trip in the snow) that I've thought seemed really overbearing and cheesy and not all that good at all. I want to try and get into Waid's run because I hear good things and the art is nice but both bits posted in here have really put me off.

I found it dramatic and compelling, myself. Different strokes, I guess.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Entertainer13 posted:

I found it dramatic and compelling, myself. Different strokes, I guess.

Agreed. Daredevil's been so great because while it has bright visuals and fun action, issue to issue, it can still deal with issues like loss and grief in a way that would've seemed ridiculous in the Silver Age. Not for everybody, but I think it's very good at doing what it sets out to do.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I think Daredevil #10 is my single favorite issue since I got back into buying floppies last year. Here, DD's coming after Mole Man because he stole a bunch of coffins from a cemetery, including his father's.

Do they address the fact that everything Moleman is saying to Daredevil about his dad applies equally aptly to Moleman's entire reason for doing this poo poo to begin with?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fatherdog posted:

Do they address the fact that everything Moleman is saying to Daredevil about his dad applies equally aptly to Moleman's entire reason for doing this poo poo to begin with?
No, see, because Daredevil can't look at his father's face. :pseudo:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

fatherdog posted:

I don't think it's too much of a leap of logic to assume that a supervillain would be delusional enough to believe that his situation was different.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Well, she had just recently died. I think he just wanted to say goodbye.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Death of Spider-man Fallout 1

Death of Spider-man Fallout 6

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.
From GLA: Misassembled #2.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

bobkatt013 posted:

Death of Spider-man Fallout 1

Death of Spider-man Fallout 6

Not gonna lie. I choked.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Not gonna lie. I choked.
Yeah, that first one... I'm all misty...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

Not gonna lie. I choked.

:arghfist::( drat you Bendis and Bagley. Seriously, anyone who says Bendis can't have distinct 'voices' is talking out their rear end. That "made him breakfast" line is perfect little-kid logic. Parents make you breakfast, so if Aunt May did that for Spider-Man, she's his mom.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

:arghfist::( drat you Bendis and Bagley. Seriously, anyone who says Bendis can't have distinct 'voices' is talking out their rear end. That "made him breakfast" line is perfect little-kid logic. Parents make you breakfast, so if Aunt May did that for Spider-Man, she's his mom.

Not to take away from the moment too much (it is great), but is it okay to say Bendis doesn't give his characters distinctive voices on his Avengers stuff? I mean he did give Iron Man the line: "oopsie poopsie." It's like reading "Spider-Man and his Amazing Spider-Men" twice a month.

Also I loved Slott's "Misassembled" miniseries. So many great moments.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Ultimate Peter's death was the most perfect way for him to die.

"I did it Aunt May. I couldn't save Uncle Ben, but I could save you."

:smith:

E: I forgot about this really well done fan made motion comic of the whole thing, watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POXxmaJ_cV8

E the Shaggy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 2, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And I thought that comic had hit me as hard as it could.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Oh christ, I just read Death of Spider-Man last week, and Fallout is so full of those moments it was all I could do not to start crying reading a goddamn comic book. Like during the funeral, where Thor envisions Peter and some of the X-Men in Valhalla, jesus, it almost broke me. Probably the best-done emotional stuff I've ever seen in superhero comics.

edit: took a cap of just the one panel, rather than the whole page. I love this panel.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 2, 2012

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

E the Shaggy posted:

E: I forgot about this really well done fan made motion comic of the whole thing, watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POXxmaJ_cV8

Holy crap, that was awesome! :neckbeard:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
It's the last line that really hits me hard: "you did good kid"

Man I need to goto the comic store and pick up the last few issues now. I've avoided most comics since the 90s because I felt they no longer had good writing. I was wrong.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RedMagus posted:

It's the last line that really hits me hard: "you did good kid"

Man I need to goto the comic store and pick up the last few issues now. I've avoided most comics since the 90s because I felt they no longer had good writing. I was wrong.

The last line with the image of Peter and Ben is what got me. I want to go home and re-read the entire run again. Bendis really did a great job with peter in Ultimate Spiderman and there were really a lot of high points.

edit: For context this is the image I was talking about. I think it is from a varient cover for the Death of Spiderman. Really a great image.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Buy some comics for a good cause
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40219

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The new series of Hawkeye started this week and straight away introduces Hawkeye trying to save the life of an injured dog.

Through flashbacks we see how Hawkeye sees the dog for the first time

Hawkeye subsequently gets involved in a fight with the gang that owns the dog and things get pretty severe.

It's all okay in the end though :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There are not enough :3:s in the world.