Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Oh, don't be melodramatic. It was just like welding together a gingerbread house made of lead with eggwhites. And sure, the cookies were slightly warped and didn't really fit to begin with, and the whole thing literally could not be supported on anything less robust than a pvc pipe, but you didn't have to worry about getting the sugar gummies to stick to the frosting on the roof, so you broke even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of heavy beasts, babby's first Bomber:
Edit: removing dead pic links

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 11, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thats a nice bomeber. All the paintwork is really clean and crisp. The wood on the barrels is nicely done, too.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks man. I think it looks better in person since photographing blue is so awful to do.

The wood is about the easiest thing in the world- thin coat of GW Graveyard Earth (white primer of course because gently caress black), then a wash of their Agrax Earthshade. The effect works better with their new washes that flow more easily.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Ashcans posted:

Anyway, it sounds like it's going to be a pretty chill setup, but one of the key modifications is that it is being played as a 20pt game, Battlegroup only. As a Merc player that's something of a challenge, as a lot of our casters aren't really suited to hauling 25 points of metal. Of my current casters (Ashlynn, Damiano, Gorten, and Magnus) I think that Magnus is my best shot - jack caster, his feat will be good for getting up the hill, and when I get killed and respawn I can drop double-obliterators on everyone on the hill! What do you guys think? Is there a better Merc caster to roll with?

You could proxy eMagnus with regular Magnus and use his silly feat to prevent anyone from going up the hill for a turn. Plus he has Calamity which can stack with Aiyana's Harm for some serious damage buffs. He can also take the Renegades as well for added comedy.

Ashlynn with Gun Mages can be awesome too. Her feat turn can make the Gun Mages just crit thunderbolt people off the hill with knockdowns. Also if you have ForgeGuard, they can toss people left and right on her feat turn as well.

Damiano would not be my first choice, but his feat does prevent your army from being moved on his feat so it would prevent the above shenanigans from happening to your army. I'd still go with one of the Magnus' or Ashlynn though. Sounds like a fun scenario so let us know what happens.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Crazy Ferret posted:

You could proxy eMagnus with regular Magnus and use his silly feat to prevent anyone from going up the hill for a turn. Plus he has Calamity which can stack with Aiyana's Harm for some serious damage buffs. He can also take the Renegades as well for added comedy.

Ashlynn with Gun Mages can be awesome too. Her feat turn can make the Gun Mages just crit thunderbolt people off the hill with knockdowns. Also if you have ForgeGuard, they can toss people left and right on her feat turn as well.

Damiano would not be my first choice, but his feat does prevent your army from being moved on his feat so it would prevent the above shenanigans from happening to your army. I'd still go with one of the Magnus' or Ashlynn though. Sounds like a fun scenario so let us know what happens.

Battlegroup only means he can't take any of that stuff you just mentioned...

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Anyway, it sounds like it's going to be a pretty chill setup, but one of the key modifications is that it is being played as a 20pt game, Battlegroup only. As a Merc player that's something of a challenge, as a lot of our casters aren't really suited to hauling 25 points of metal. Of my current casters (Ashlynn, Damiano, Gorten, and Magnus) I think that Magnus is my best shot - jack caster, his feat will be good for getting up the hill, and when I get killed and respawn I can drop double-obliterators on everyone on the hill! What do you guys think? Is there a better Merc caster to roll with?

Battlegroup only... I wouldn't want to run Mercs. Merc jacks generally suck too much, are too expensive, or lack some key ability. Dorfs might have the best chance, but I'd bet the PoW on warjacks is just too low to handle much.

But if I had to, pMagnus and some Renegades. Maaaaaybe Ashlynn and a Mule, but I don't think it would work. There's just not enough cool warjack abilities in Mercs. Compare to like, Karchev with a Devastator/Behemoth, or Siege with Defenders.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Edit: removing dead pic links
Seriously, PP? This is some Forgeworld level bullshit right here.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 11, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

^^ Get parts replacement on that poo poo right now! Casting resin is a pain in the rear end and I can see how they would miss those, but it still totally needs replacing.

Raiche posted:

Battlegroup only... I wouldn't want to run Mercs. Merc jacks generally suck too much, are too expensive, or lack some key ability. Dorfs might have the best chance, but I'd bet the PoW on warjacks is just too low to handle much.

But if I had to, pMagnus and some Renegades. Maaaaaybe Ashlynn and a Mule, but I don't think it would work. There's just not enough cool warjack abilities in Mercs. Compare to like, Karchev with a Devastator/Behemoth, or Siege with Defenders.

Yea, I know that the correct answer is that this is a great reason to start Circle and roll in with a bunch of Satyrs and poo poo, but I don't have the time or cash before the event to try that. :( I am going to have a really rough time, but I'd like to give it my best shot anyway. Like I said, it seems like it will be pretty relaxed so even losing can be fun.

How's this for a Mags list?

Magnus the Traitor (*6pts)
* Renegade (6pts)
* Renegade (6pts)
* Mangler (8pts)
* Nomad (6pts)

The only other option I can think of is to swap the Mangler and Nomad for Rocinante and a Vanguard, but I feel like that's a more defensive setup and I need to come at this as aggressively as I can. Iron Aggression goes on the Mangler, Tempered Metal goes on the Nomad, cycle Snipe across the Renegades. Blur on Magnus for whatever that's worth.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I readjusted the front panel and got that gap taken care of. There's still a decent one between the floor and front panel that you can sort of see in the first pic. But I can deal with that. Had I not been sitting on this model for months I'd ask for a replacement side panel though. Actually I did request a new gun when I first got it. The inner clamshell box had opened and everything jostled around, damaging the gun shield. I'll muddle through the rest. Luckily Trollblood stuff is vaguely similar to 40k orks in that it's sort of ramshackle and slapped together.

Edit: Attn dexefiend:Any chance I can get a shot or two of your battle engine? Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how this yoke is supposed to attach to the tuffalo.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 1, 2012

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Ashcans posted:

^^ Get parts replacement on that poo poo right now! Casting resin is a pain in the rear end and I can see how they would miss those, but it still totally needs replacing.

Yea, I know that the correct answer is that this is a great reason to start Circle and roll in with a bunch of Satyrs and poo poo, but I don't have the time or cash before the event to try that. :( I am going to have a really rough time, but I'd like to give it my best shot anyway. Like I said, it seems like it will be pretty relaxed so even losing can be fun.

* Renegade (6pts)
* Renegade (6pts)
* Mangler (8pts)
* Nomad (6pts)

The only other option I can think of is to swap the Mangler and Nomad for Rocinante and a Vanguard, but I feel like that's a more defensive setup and I need to come at this as aggressively as I can. Iron Aggression goes on the Mangler, Tempered Metal goes on the Nomad, cycle Snipe across the Renegades. Blur on Magnus for whatever that's worth.

I would totally roll with that! You should be solid, just lacking in shenanigans.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Honestly, if you were gonna run dwarves, Madhammer would be the way to go. Redline a Driller every turn and pick something that just needs to leave the board.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

The Aberrant posted:

Uh, what's up with those weird point totals? I've never heard of anyone playing a 42 point game.

It is a bit strange. I think it has to do with mixing up the event. 35pts and 50pts are common and can lead to perceived net decking.

I don't mind. 33pts makes for some hard choices.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

LintMan posted:

It is a bit strange. I think it has to do with mixing up the event. 35pts and 50pts are common and can lead to perceived net decking.

I don't mind. 33pts makes for some hard choices.

Players in Germany seem to play a lot of 42 point games. Both Forwardkommander as well as biodegradable will support that.

Ironically, I doubt war room will :sigh:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Willeh posted:

Ironically, I doubt war room will :sigh:

It's funny because you still think War Room is coming out :smith:

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Sab669 posted:

It's funny because you still think War Room is coming out :smith:

Oh my god please don't start this.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Just painting heavy beasts murders my wrist holding them. I can't imagine anything much larger all in metal.

I've got very strong wrists :wink:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Gay Polymers posted:

Oh my god please don't start this.

It's gonna be the D&D virtual tabletop all over again.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Manifest posted:

It's gonna be the D&D virtual tabletop all over again.

More like Ultima Online 2. AM I RITE?!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It'll happen. They just made an extremely rookie mistake of posting when they submitted to the apple app review team. Those people are inscrutable demons who have never truly posted a list of why they'll refuse certain apps and give no fucks about your planned release date. There's a couple of great tumblrs out there that just compile refusal explanations.

It's amazing to me just how many lovely, broken, or outright dishonest apps are floating around that somehow waltzed past them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

!amicable posted:

More like Ultima Online 2. AM I RITE?!

Let's not.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

Let's not.

Corp Por 4 lyfe.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

theironjef posted:

It'll happen. They just made an extremely rookie mistake of posting when they submitted to the apple app review team. Those people are inscrutable demons who have never truly posted a list of why they'll refuse certain apps and give no fucks about your planned release date. There's a couple of great tumblrs out there that just compile refusal explanations.

It's amazing to me just how many lovely, broken, or outright dishonest apps are floating around that somehow waltzed past them.

Yeah, they should have just kept their mouth shut, but those idiots on the pp site overanalyze everything into the ground. Oh well, they admitted software development isn't their thing and they should have handled it differently.

I gotta admit, I was out camping the last few days and every time I went into town the first thing I checked was to see if it was out yet.

The only thing I hope for now is that, when it does get releases, the servers that handle the matchmaking and stuff for the app are stable.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Ashcans posted:

* Renegade (6pts)
* Renegade (6pts)
* Mangler (8pts)
* Nomad (6pts)

Are tier lists legal for a mangled metal format? If so you can get those Renegades for 5pts instead of 6.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Ashcans posted:

* Renegade (6pts)
* Renegade (6pts)
* Mangler (8pts)
* Nomad (6pts)

Sorry about that. Did not even see it was Battlegroup only in the post. My bad.

I ran Magnus in a 15point Mangled Metal Tournament with 2x Nomads and a Mangler to great effect. Since it will be Casters and Jacks, I'd probably only run a single Renegade since I find their real strength is the Knockdown Doom Rocket against infantry and occasionally putting Iron Aggression on them for a chance at infinite attacks with critical shreds. Since there will not be any infantry, I'd go

System: Warmachine
Faction: Four Star Syndicate
Casters: 1/1
* Renegade (6pts)
* Mangler (8pts)
* Nomad (6pts)
* Nomad (6pts)

Having two Nomads is fantastic. It lets you sacrifice/jam one up the middle and still have one to assault with. I've been having some good luck with a Freebooter lately so you could swap out a Nomad for one of those. Throwing Jacks at people never gets unfunny. Still, your list is really solid as well and should provide a good time. Rocinante and a Vanguard would be too passive as you said.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Was that a battle report or fan fiction? I half expected Barnabas and Hoarluk to start loving at the end.

But seriously having a blast playing this poo poo on vassal with AP. Problem is, we are loving terrible at it. Rules are misread, misunderstood, or simply forgotten.

We could use some help!

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

LewdMonocle posted:

Was that a battle report or fan fiction? I half expected Barnabas and Hoarluk to start loving at the end.

But seriously having a blast playing this poo poo on vassal with AP. Problem is, we are loving terrible at it. Rules are misread, misunderstood, or simply forgotten.

We could use some help!

Feel free to ask any questions. We are all here to help.

Or if you guys want I can be on Vassal and we can play a few games.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

A question from one of my mates came up earlier which I thought I could do via the rules but he triggered some doubt: Can I use Sacrificial Lamb on a Wrack?

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Flipswitch posted:

A question from one of my mates came up earlier which I thought I could do via the rules but he triggered some doubt: Can I use Sacrificial Lamb on a Wrack?

That will work, sac lamb says you have to remove a living friendly faction model, and a wrack is one.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Acceptableloss posted:

Are tier lists legal for a mangled metal format? If so you can get those Renegades for 5pts instead of 6.

Thats a good question! Not sure what I would do with the two points though. Upgrade the Nomad to a second Mangler?

I also just realized that someone is bound to bring a Colossal to this thing. Which made me rethink bringing the Dwarfs. But I don't have nearly enough Rhulic jacks to work with. :( If someone shows up with a Conquest or something I'll be totally hosed. Unless someone else turns up with a Stormwall, and I can take the hill while they decimate each other! Maybe a couple of Nomads could do the job, though?

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Flipswitch posted:

Great trick is to pull a focus off the wrack, and if it doesn't explode, sac it with the free focus and power up all of your jacks essentially for free.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Gay Polymers posted:

Great trick is to pull a focus off the wrack, and if it doesn't explode, sac it with the free focus and power up all of your jacks essentially for free.

I do wish I could throw Wracks. The idea of a 2 story steam powered mech throwing this helpless individual into a line of troops only to have him explode in righteous fury is just hilarious to me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

That is #2 on the list of Stupid Wrack Tricks.
#1, of course, is to wrack a warrior model with Reznik and place the resulting wrack as close to exactly 2" away from him as you can, in the middle of a bunch of enemy models. Then buy an attack and whack it. He won't be in the blast, since it's a 2.5" radius, he has 2" of melee range, and the radius of a 40mm base is over .5" (not by much, but enough). It's a great way to clear out infantry.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

That is #2 on the list of Stupid Wrack Tricks.
#1, of course, is to wrack a warrior model with Reznik and place the resulting wrack as close to exactly 2" away from him as you can, in the middle of a bunch of enemy models. Then buy an attack and whack it. He won't be in the blast, since it's a 2.5" radius, he has 2" of melee range, and the radius of a 40mm base is over .5" (not by much, but enough). It's a great way to clear out infantry.

This is why I love Menoth.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks guys, and the Reznik grenade is a fun trick. I played a 35pt today using eFeora against a Press Ganger who had a Stormwall.

Oh god that thing is horrible. I got mulched alive. Great game though. Picked myself up an Avatar of Menoth, and now I just need to make a nice base for it because it's so loving short.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Flipswitch posted:

Thanks guys, and the Reznik grenade is a fun trick. I played a 35pt today using eFeora against a Press Ganger who had a Stormwall.

Oh god that thing is horrible. I got mulched alive. Great game though. Picked myself up an Avatar of Menoth, and now I just need to make a nice base for it because it's so loving short.

Avatar is the saddest looking character jack, but gently caress if that thing isn't worth it's weight in gold.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Well an option I was looking at was ebaying some Heavy Warjack legs and using them, but looking at my Crusader and the Avatars legs, the difference isn't really a huge amount. It's just so top heavy. I'll build a double cork base for it to sit on so it can be really tall.

And maybe be the same height as Vindictus as a result. Stupid Avatar.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Someone wanted to trade me some Cygnar for my old 2nd edition tyranids here in WA. We should just bring our stuff and meet up somewhere, send me an email at chris.steen@gmail.com and I can send you a list at the very least.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
I started with my Menoth army this week, and even had a 30 point match with my Cygnar friend. I got the 2-player starter box as it's got some really good value for the cost, as well as a few additional boxes.

My units so far is:

High Exemplar Kreoss
5x Exemplar Cinerators
1x Vanquisher
1x Crusader
1x Repenter
1x Revenger
6x Choir of Menoth

This composition didn't really work out very well so far, felt like far too many Jacks, and the Cinerators were costly and didn't do much. I plan on getting a vassal or two, perhaps a reclaimer and wrack as well?

Other than that, I'm uncertain. The Vanquishers ranged attack worked really well, and I liked the Repenter just pushing back dangerous attacks on and on again(also arc nodes, charge bonus, reach, this jack got it all!). Knights Exemplar seems really good and I've heard people mention them a lot. Perhaps a few Temple Flameguards for inexpensive meatshields?
Not sure what warcaster yet, Kreoss is kind of nice but most of his power seems to be in his knockdown. Harbringer seems really good with her high focus, and some pretty nasty spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Repenter is the one with the flamethrower, Revenger has Reach and Arc Node, unless I've misunderstood your post. e: Oh I see, you meant the Revenger. :) Yeah he's a great little 'jack, the Repenter is pretty filthy too with Choir + Eye of Menoth with Severius.

Knights Exemplar I've found to be quite good in the two games I've used them in, they're a second wave unit because they have survivability issues getting to the front, but if you get them there with either a full squad or at least 3 left they will just bludgeon their way through pretty much anything. It's even funnier with Defenders Ward on them, or Harbinger Martyr'ing the last one repeatedly so he's just a super solo on steroids. Add in the Senseshal and they are even funnier.

Get a Vassal of Menoth for the Vanquisher because that Warjack is just rude with him and a Choir backing him up. Knights Exemplar Errant are a great embuggerance unit because of Pathfinder with the UA means they can be wherever you want them to be and Self Sacrifice shuts down so many special abilities it drives people up the wall. TFG are a generally good, cheap tarpit that can fight their way out too. I have all three units and they're great fun to play.

• Locked thread