Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I've been kind of ignoring Scooby Doo Mystery Inc for the last little bit, feeling like it's kind of just not doing it for me. I turned in today, to be REALLY entertained by it. That's the first time I've actually been entertained and engaged by it since 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo.

Also, picking up the new Ben 10 series. It seems to have gone back to a combination of it's first series and charm even though Ben's older. Having him not being quite so invincible/calm and collected and having him and the omnitrix be at odds again REALLY helps out.

Also, I seem to be randomly getting The Hub again, so I can finally check out The Aquabat's show! Hooray! As well as watching all the Timm DCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It warms the cockles of my heart as a long time Aquabats fan to see them finally get the TV show they've been working on forever. They had to do Yo Gabba Gabba first to get what they wanted to do in the first place off the ground, but that just meant that we got twice as much awesome on TV. There's so many little touches that make me smile. The Floating Eye of Death episode owned.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

Shabadu posted:

It warms the cockles of my heart as a long time Aquabats fan to see them finally get the TV show they've been working on forever. They had to do Yo Gabba Gabba first to get what they wanted to do in the first place off the ground, but that just meant that we got twice as much awesome on TV. There's so many little touches that make me smile. The Floating Eye of Death episode owned.

This exactly. I always knew a show about the Aquabats would be great, and I'm so glad to see it isn't only great, its pretty popular! I am 100% behind them becoming "mainstream", not only because they deserve it but because that means its easier for me to get merch.

Also I really hope next season they have more older enemies, like Powdered Milk Man and The Sandfleas.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Matt Chapman, Homestar Runner co-creator and voice of just about every character, is a writer and director for Aquabats. He has a role in one episode as a carnival barker wearing a Strong Bad mask and doing the voice.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr Christmas posted:

Matt Chapman, Homestar Runner co-creator and voice of just about every character, is a writer and director for Aquabats. He has a role in one episode as a carnival barker wearing a Strong Bad mask and doing the voice.

Hahaha, I knew he wrote for the show, but somehow I didn't put two and two together with the luchadore mask. I didn't think he sounded like Strong Bad but I'll have to pay more attention next time I see that episode.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Aquabats! Super Show! is a lot of fun, it's one of the few things out there that can be wacky and low-budget and campy without feeling like it's trying too hard.

Dr Christmas posted:

Also the Mega64 guys make a bunch of fake commercials for the show.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Oh, I'm so happy I got to see it. It's exactly what it needed to be, and exactly what I thought it would be. I couldn't be happier!

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Aquabats! do Trogdor at a lot of the shows they do, so it's not surprising to see them working with Gentleman Chap.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Vaerai Archon posted:

Information about "Pern" and the incredibly depressing "Dinotopia" series.

I'm surprised they went with live-action on a "Pern" TV series for kids.

And as for the "Dinotopia" series -which I had heard of- yikes. Just, yikes. I can see why James Gurney hardly acknowledges that this was even a thing on his website.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Perhaps in an attempt to regain their crown from Disney, Nickelodeon has a large set of pilots in production.

Nickelodeon posted:

LIVE-ACTION

Current Productions:

Wendell and Vinnie (Nick at Nite series) – iCarly’s Jerry Trainor stars as Vinnie, a lovable, goofball uncle who becomes the guardian to his buttoned-up 12-year-old nephew Wendell (Buddy Handleson, Shake It Up). Nicole Sullivan (The King of Queens, The Penguins of Madagascar) also stars as Vinnie’s high-strung older sister Wilma. The comedy series, greenlit for 20 episodes, was written by Jay Kogen (Frasier, George Lopez) and will be executive produced by Aaron Kaplan (GCB, Terra Nova).

You Gotta See This (Nickelodeon series) – Nickelodeon combines the best of the web, behind-the-scenes footage, celebrity interviews, pranks and bloopers in its new series You Gotta See This, premiering this fall. Hosted by Chris O’Neal and Noah Crawford (stars of How to Rock), the half-hour series rolls all the must-see clips of the week into one hilarious package. Nickelodeon is currently in production on this 20-episode series in Los Angeles.

Swindle (Nickelodeon movie/working title) – With daring heists, crazy disguises, pie fights and sumo wrestlers, the network greenlights Swindle, an original TV movie featuring an impressive ensemble cast of Nickelodeon stars. When an evil collector cons Griffin out of a million dollar baseball card that could have saved his best friend’s home, he unites a ragtag group of his classmates who need to work as a team to take down the swindler. Swindle is based on a popular children’s book by Gordon Korman. Production will commence this fall in Vancouver, Canada.

Nicky Deuce (Nickelodeon movie/working title) – Based on a popular children’s book by The Sopranos’ Steve Schirripa and Charles Fleming, Nicky Deuce stars iCarly’s Noah Munck as Nicholas Borelli II, a nerdy, over-protected teen who transforms into the title character. Nicholas gets caught in the adventure of a lifetime when he spends the summer with an uncle he never knew he had. Production on this original TV movie will commence this summer in Montreal, Canada.

Pilots:

Sam & Cat (Nickelodeon pilot/working title) – In the comedic spin-off Sam & Cat, from iCarly and Victorious creator Dan Schneider, feisty Sam Puckett (Jennette McCurdy) and daffy Cat Valentine (Ariana Grande) become best buddies and unlikely roommates. They love their freedom and independence, but quickly realize that fun and adventure do not come cheap. Rather than get traditional after-school jobs, Sam and Cat become teen entrepreneurs by starting their own babysitting business.

Gibby (Nickelodeon pilot/working title) – Noah Munck reprises his role as Gibby in the spin-off from iCarly creator Dan Schneider. In the comedy pilot, Gibby takes a job at The Bixby, a recreational center where kids of all ages hang out, socialize, play sports and take unique classes. Gibby becomes a mentor to four quirky middle-schoolers, helping them break out of their shells and embrace life in true “Gibbehhh” style.

The Haunted Hathaways (Nickelodeon pilot/working title) -- Life in The Big Easy gets a little more complicated and way more spirited when the Hathaway siblings move into a house occupied by a family of ghosts. The pilot is written by Robert Peacock, who served as writer/producer on several series over the last decade including Reba, The Jeff Foxworthy Show and Coupling.

The Thundermans (Nickelodeon pilot/working title) – Written by Jed Spingarn, The Thundermans follows 13-year-old Phoebe Thunderman, who just wants to be normal, but that’s impossible when she comes from a family of superheroes. While most superheroes are lucky to have one power, Phoebe happens to have 12. So much for normal! A longtime producer for Nickelodeon, Spingarn most recently served as co-executive producer of the hit series Big Time Rush and prior to that, produced on Nickelodeon’s The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius and Johnny Bravo.

Instant Mom (Nick at Nite pilot/working title) – Instant Mom centers on a 25-year-old party girl who trades in Cosmos for carpools when she marries an older man with kids. The project is executive produced by Aaron Kaplan (GCB, Terra Nova) with Warren Bell (Ellen, According to Jim, What I Like About You) and Jessica Butler (According to Jim, In Plain Sight) serving as writers/executive producers.

ANIMATION

Nickelodeon, the top producer of television animation in the U.S., is in production on three new series and two new pilots.

Current Productions:

Sanjay & Craig (Nickelodeon series) – A classic tale of boy meets snake, this 20-episode, 2D-animated series follows two best buds who dedicate their lives to becoming the coolest, most rebellious dudes in the neighborhood. Sanjay & Craig is created by Jim Dirschberger, Jay Howell and Andreas Trolf, and executive produced by Nick alumni Will McRobb and Chris Viscardi (The Adventures of Pete & Pete, Alvin and the Chipmunks).

Monsters vs. Aliens (Nickelodeon series) – An extension of the blockbuster movie, the all-new CG-animated television series features the lovable monsters and a whole new group of nefarious aliens living and working together at Area 50-something. Greenlit for 26 episodes, the series will be executive produced by Bob Schooley, Mark McCorkle and Brett Haaland (The Penguins of Madagascar).

Monty and Norville (Nickelodeon preschool series/working title) – Monty and Norville follows the adventures of a five-year-old troll named Monty and his dragon friend Norville. With the help of viewers at home, Monty can use his magic stick to make incredible things happen as long as he uses the right words. The new animated 26-episode series, created by Adam Peltzman (head writer, Blue’s Clues, The Backyardigans), will introduce a literacy curriculum to Nickelodeon’s preschool audience.

Pilots:

Bad Seeds (Nickelodeon pilot) – From SpongeBob SquarePants alumnus and Chowder creator Carl Greenblatt, Bad Seeds is about a good bird running with the bad crowd… and having a great time!

Blaze and the Monster Machines (Nickelodeon preschool pilot/working title) – Blaze and the Monster Machines is a CG-animated, interactive program about an eight-year-old boy named AJ and his incredible monster truck Blaze. AJ, Blaze and their friend Maddie fight their arch nemesis Crusher along with a fleet of other trucks. The series features a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) curriculum and is created by Jeff Borkin (head writer, Team Umizoomi, Little Einsteins) and Ellen Martin (producer, Bubble Guppies, The Backyardigans).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

quote:

You Gotta See This (Nickelodeon series) – Nickelodeon combines the best of the web, behind-the-scenes footage, celebrity interviews, pranks and bloopers in its new series You Gotta See This, premiering this fall. Hosted by Chris O’Neal and Noah Crawford (stars of How to Rock), the half-hour series rolls all the must-see clips of the week into one hilarious package. Nickelodeon is currently in production on this 20-episode series in Los Angeles.

"So that Tosh.0 is getting killer ratings! How about we do the exact same thing only less offensive?"
"GOLD. Start filming Monday."

Also, dang, not one but two iCarly spinoffs? I knew the show was popular but daaaamn.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Did they cancel iCarly or are they just trying to milk it for all it's worth?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

IRQ posted:

Did they cancel iCarly or are they just trying to milk it for all it's worth?

iCarly is ending its run this season. Victorious is awaiting an order to renew, and it's unsure of what will happen with Ariana Grande's character if they do produce another season.

I'm stoked as hell for Sam & Cat, btw. Show's gonna own bones.

Gibby, however, I am not as optimistic.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ah, so it's time for Miranda Cosgrove to start her manufactured pop star phase then?

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

IRQ posted:

Ah, so it's time for Miranda Cosgrove to start her manufactured pop star phase then?

No, she's been doing that. I think we're up to the "serious roles" attempted credibility development phase.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Bad Seeds (Nickelodeon pilot) – From SpongeBob SquarePants alumnus and Chowder creator Carl Greenblatt, Bad Seeds is about a good bird running with the bad crowd… and having a great time!

Do we know anything else about this?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Was there someone that was asking for a Monsters vs. Aliens TV show? I kinda liked the movie, but it was pretty forgettable and it came out three years ago. I guess Nickelodeon just has some kind of deal with Dreamworks to produce lousy, boring TV shows out of their CG movies.

TwoPair posted:

"So that Tosh.0 is getting killer ratings! How about we do the exact same thing only less offensive?"
"GOLD. Start filming Monday."

Funny thing is that this isn't even the first Tosh.0 knockoff on a Viacom channel - MTV has a show called Ridiculousness, which fills its requirement of "show with a name that pisses you off immediately upon seeing it".

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 4, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

raditts posted:

Funny thing is that this isn't even the first Tosh.0 knockoff on a Viacom channel - MTV has a show called Ridiculousness, which fills its requirement of "show with a name that pisses you off immediately upon seeing it".

Once again, nothing Rob Dyrdek has done since Rob & Big has been even the slightest bit palatable or entertaining :argh:

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

One episode of Dan vs. had a joke referencing Necrophilia. There was a recent episode that made a joke about child labor.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Do we know anything else about this?
I'll give it a shot, Chowder was good.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

PicklePants posted:

Also, picking up the new Ben 10 series. It seems to have gone back to a combination of it's first series and charm even though Ben's older. Having him not being quite so invincible/calm and collected and having him and the omnitrix be at odds again REALLY helps out.

The new animation style doesn't help. It's way too "cartoony" for my tastes. Plus the initial concept of Gwen and 90's grunge band member Kevin just moving away, to be immediately replaced with a dorky, tech-based alien just seems stupid. This series seems to completely forget the last one. And an alien made of lego blocks... enough said.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Liar posted:

The new animation style doesn't help. It's way too "cartoony" for my tastes. Plus the initial concept of Gwen and 90's grunge band member Kevin just moving away, to be immediately replaced with a dorky, tech-based alien just seems stupid. This series seems to completely forget the last one. And an alien made of lego blocks... enough said.

To be honest, I like the cartoony feel of it more than I did the feel of the older Ben episodes. It was always just so bland, and darker and boring visually. I'd rather have something a bit brighter, with a bit more action, and doing that allows the aliens to have more fun as well. Like the Lego alien.

I agree, I'm not a big fan of the replacement, but I've never been a big fan of Kevin or Gwen since the other series. Gwen became way too reserved, and everyone just dropped off emotionally. I've never known any teenagers that calm or rational as Ben and Gwen were presented to be. Of course, I had the same problem with the first season of Young Justice. Where everyone was just kind of.. there, and going through the motions of being heroes. Never really any concern for their well being or drama, where kid Ben would muck up or the Omnitrix would time out, or give him the wrong alien.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Liar posted:

And an alien made of lego blocks... enough said.

I appreciate that they were willing to just cut out the middleman and make an alien that was already a toy.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

See, I enjoyed the original Ben 10 because he was literally a 10 year old. He acted like a 10 year old with powers would act. His rivalry with Kevin was believable to a degree, and he got along with his cousin about as well as could be expected for his age. That and the show just knew how to have fun.

The sequel series all sucked the fun out of it. Ben became this unlikeable rear end in a top hat and Kevin just couldn't figure out a personality to stick to.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

thelaughingman posted:

One episode of Dan vs. had a joke referencing Necrophilia. There was a recent episode that made a joke about child labor.

Reiterating my refusal that this show is anything but a recurring hallucination.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So finally caught the two episode premiere of Dragons: Riders of Berk. It was actually pretty decent. Not really action packed or anything, but a good feeling of continuity and consequences. A few too many gags than I'd like, and Astrid seems to have been relegated down to "simple love interest" a bit more than I'd like, but over all it was enjoyable.

Magnus Condomus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 8, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's a pretty terrible name for a show though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

To be precise, it's Dreamworks' Dragons: Riders of Berk. Presumably because Dreamworks couldn't think of a better way to franchise How to Train Your Dragon other than naming it Dreamworks' Dragons. Not that that's any less terrible a name or anything, of course.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Did they lose the rights to just call it "How to Train Your Dragon," because why in the world wouldn't you?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

IRQ posted:

Did they lose the rights to just call it "How to Train Your Dragon," because why in the world wouldn't you?

I have no idea. They started doing it with the movie trailers right before the movie came out too. I guess How To Train Your Dragon was just too long for ad space? It's a lot easier/shorter to just say "Dreamworks: Dragons."

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

muscles like this? posted:

Right. Clearly, whomever came up with that title wasn't English, and therefore didn't realize that they'd just created the most un-hardcore title possible for a show about Vikings riding dragons.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This episode of Mystery Inc., "Night Terrors", is loving BATSHIT INSANE.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

DivisionPost posted:

I looked up the new Scooby-Doo's Web site to see what people are talking about, and the first video clip I see is Shaggy running up a wall like a ninja in some kind of underground crypt. :stare:

IRQ posted:

The opening credits note that it is "Based upon the HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON book series by CRESSIDA COWELL," so I'm guessing there's some strange rights issue at work.

The CGI looks pretty nice. Kung Fu Panda's models were simplified a bit for TV (not that they look bad), but this looks pretty close to the movie.

Not sure I understand the complaint about Astrid, since she played second fiddle for most of the movie, too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The opening credits note that it is "Based upon the HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON book series by CRESSIDA COWELL," so I'm guessing there's some strange rights issue at work.

It wouldn't make any sense to call it "How to Train Your Dragon," the dragon is already trained.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Judging from the first episode, not well enough! :haw:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

DivisionPost posted:

I just watched the one after that, and I was surprised that not only were Tom and Tub from Hanna Barbara's Moby Dick involved in the story, but they were also retconned into being the kids of the guys from Sealab 2020. The plot involved them exploring _a_ Sealab (probably not the one the show takes place in) which had been taken over by Nazi robots. I'm kind of excited to see the upcoming crossovers with Dynomutt and Johnny Quest.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Argue posted:

I just watched the one after that, and I was surprised that not only were Tom and Tub from Hanna Barbara's Moby Dick involved in the story, but they were also retconned into being the kids of the guys from Sealab 2020. The plot involved them exploring _a_ Sealab (probably not the one the show takes place in) which had been taken over by Nazi robots. I'm kind of excited to see the upcoming crossovers with Dynomutt and Johnny Quest.

Yeah, I saw that one yesterday too. I would never believe that there was a serial Scooby-Doo series that's funny and enjoyable to watch if I hadn't seen it myself.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed that the pictures of the previous "4 humans and an animal" groups a couple episodes ago didn't include the Jabberjaw gang, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Are you sure they were Nazi robots? Because Sealab has other robots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTFHUbwtieg

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

raditts posted:

I have to admit I was a little disappointed that the pictures of the previous "4 humans and an animal" groups a couple episodes ago didn't include the Jabberjaw gang, though.

There was an ep where Scooby teamed up with all the old mystery teams that had actual Hanna Barbara shows; it included Jabberjaw. Annoyingly, it turned out to be a dream, but I'll pretend that it's canon. I like the idea that the Funky Phantom was just an actor/special effects artist loving around with some dumb kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I thought you were joking about the Jonny Quest / Dynomutt crossover. I guess I should know better at this point. They're just going to tie the whole lovely 1960s Hanna-Barbera canon together in this series, aren't they? I'm expecting Speed Buggy and the Harlem Globetrotters at this point.