Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That look like 4 different movies. Not necessarily a bad thing but how long is this going to be?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That look like 4 different movies. Not necessarily a bad thing but how long is this going to be?

Pretty sure it's somewhere around 3 and a half hours.

It's been screened to people and apparently they said it was a masterpiece, but, yeah, screener audiences.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
The Cloud Atlas trailer is amazing, hope the movie turns out amazing as well.

Tom Hanks :frogc00l:

bathhouse fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 26, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He looks like loving Ice-T.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
gently caress that. Did you see the sideburns Weaving was sporting?

That's true beauty/horror.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Six, actually, if they're following the book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bathhouse posted:

Tom Hanks is just getting weird recently. He also has a new web cartoon series where he voices an assassin for an oppressive government. That trailer actually might make me go back and finish the book as I started reading it earlier this year but stopped at around the 70s section because it really didn't seem like it was going anywhere.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

ClydeUmney posted:

Six, actually, if they're following the book.

There's scenes from all six in the trailer, so yeah, they're following it.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

According to wikipedia, 164 minutes.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Rincewind posted:

There's scenes from all six in the trailer, so yeah, they're following it.

I hadn't gotten to watch the trailer when I posted, but yeah, it looks like they're following the book by and large (although I feel like they're hammering home some of the more subtle themes of the book). It certainly looks incredibly ambitious, which the book deserves.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

bathhouse posted:

Tom Hanks IS John Travolta IN What the gently caress Are You Looking At?!

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011

Aatrek posted:

Tom Hanks IS John Travolta IN What the gently caress Are You Looking At?!

Tom Hanks is Ice Tea as John Travolta. :pseudo:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
It's kind of funny that Tom Hanks as Dermot Hoggins has captured the internet zeitgeist when the trailer probably had like 2/3 of everything that character does in the book.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
That Cloud Atlas trailer is pretty amazing, I can't imagine that the movie could possibly live up to it. There are a few trailers that just work on their own as little works of art, and that one, IMO, is one of them.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Ishamael posted:

That Cloud Atlas trailer is pretty amazing, I can't imagine that the movie could possibly live up to it. There are a few trailers that just work on their own as little works of art, and that one, IMO, is one of them.

Agreed. I never heard of the book and had zero knowledge of this movie until I just stumbled upon the trailer on IGN. I was blown away!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Ishamael posted:

I can't stop watching it. I have no idea if the movie will deliver but this trailer is one of the most god drat moving things I've seen in awhile. When the M83 song kicks in the chills are almost too much to handle. Stunning.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

New Skyfall trailer is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBhz3IoAKxo

Has some stuff that wasn't even in the 5 minute preview they showed before Dark Knight Rises.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Has some stuff that wasn't even in the 5 minute preview they showed before Dark Knight Rises.
Oh poo poo, how did I not know Javier Bardem was the villain in this movie? AND he has a goofy haircut again. That plus Roger Deakins means my rear end is going to be so far in a seat for this opening night.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I didn't realize how high my hopes had been for Bardem. Thinking back there hasn't been a villain I've thought was great since Trevelyan. Mikkelson as Le Chiffre was great in almost every respect but the movie overall was lower key as Bond wasn't putting to a stop to a huge megalomaniacal scheme or averting global catastrophe. And since the movie is plotted and structured around the fact that Le Chiffre is not the big fish he is basically meant to feel more like a bit player.

Edit: I don't like the way they cut the Bardem reveal. The first, very quick impression of Bardem as a strange dandy is almost funny and I wouldn't be surprised to hear people laugh in the theatre.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 31, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Bond adjusting his cuffs after jumping onto a falling apart train is just so completely baller.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Saw "Killer Joe" today, and this trailer played before it. Rarely have I laughed so hard at a trailer. This movie comes out in two months and there's no footage from the movie to speak of in what I just linked. Also, check out the ultra-professional way that the trailer slows down to 12 frames per second every time there's text on screen!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Couple of trailers out:

Killing Them Softly. Director of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford working with Pitt again and bringing along James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins, Ben Mendelsohn and Sam Shepard? I'm really, really sold. Heard great things about it and the trailer works for me.

The Paperboy. I've read extremely mixed reviews about this one, which almost makes me more excited. I like checking out divisive films. I don't know if the trailer does it for me, but I love the sweaty, raunchy, Southern look of the film and I want to see those actors camp it up. Could be an interesting failure.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 2, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Couple of trailers out:

Killing Them Softly. Director of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford working with Pitt and Rockwell again and bringing along James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins, Ben Mendelsohn and Sam Shepard? I'm really, really sold. Heard great things about it and the trailer works for me.

I'm surprised at the tone. Based on Assassination I was expecting something more meditative again. I'm going in cautious on this, since Assassination is one of my favorite films of all time and my expectations are going to really have to be reigned in.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

feedmyleg posted:

I'm surprised at the tone. Based on Assassination I was expecting something more meditative again. I'm going in cautious on this, since Assassination is one of my favorite films of all time and my expectations are going to really have to be reigned in.

It doesn't seem as meditative, but it does seem dour-as-gently caress and industrial. Apparently it's got some overtones of American decline, which is sort of shown in the trailer with Pitt's awesome final line: "I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own".

Assassination is a dope-rear end movie, I'll agree with you there for sure.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Couple of trailers out:

Killing Them Softly. Director of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford working with Pitt and Rockwell again and bringing along James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins, Ben Mendelsohn and Sam Shepard?

drat, you got my hopes up. No Sam Rockwell, unfortunately.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

LesterGroans posted:

Couple of trailers out:

Killing Them Softly. Director of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford working with Pitt and Rockwell again and bringing along James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins, Ben Mendelsohn and Sam Shepard? I'm really, really sold. Heard great things about it and the trailer works for me.

Brad Pitt always looks so cool.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Max22 posted:

drat, you got my hopes up. No Sam Rockwell, unfortunately.

Yeah, sorry :( Must've gotten confused and misread Sam Shepard.

bows1 posted:

Brad Pitt always looks so cool.

^The truth.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

drat. So nice to see Brad Pitt and James Gandolfini in the same film again (True Romance, The Mexican). They should have been in more, now it's almost too late if Pitt retires like he says.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Saw this prior to Total Recall today.

It's like They Live, but with a bigger budget and better actors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZFNekcVP60

Gonz fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 4, 2012

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

Moderately iteresting, but not nearly as subtle as They Live. And They Live wasn't subtle.

Also, Leelee :allears:

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 4, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gonz posted:

Man, that thing is filled with QR codes that take you to pictures of fat people in fake ads and conspiracy theory stuff.

In case you don't want pause and scan the URLs are all this

http://uqr.me/branded/qr/code001

Just keeping changing the number. It goes to at least code020, that's where I stopped.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Deadpool posted:

Man, that thing is filled with QR codes that take you to pictures of fat people in fake ads and conspiracy theory stuff.

Just keeping changing the number. It goes to at least code020, that's where I stopped.

I got an ad for dipers at 021. It was odd.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gonz posted:

Good to see that Kyoon's crawled out of his quintuple-locked, lead-lined apartment and is now making movies with Max Von Sydow.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There are a lot of ersatz companies there (Yepple?) but among them, this stuck out like a sore thumb

That looks like an actual Volvo logo. Did they pay for product placement, in this of all movies?
I'm interested about the monster design too. Like a corporate, vampiric lava-lamp.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

dr_rat posted:

I got an ad for dipers at 021. It was odd.

I just decided to look a little more and it goes all the way to 100. There's some really oddball stuff in there. And some links to really weird sites too. Like this.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Gonz posted:

Huh. This looks really interesting. Hope it turns out well.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Deadpool posted:

That looks like it's an alternate reality game. Search for some clues in the pictures and :effort:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

Couple of trailers out:

Killing Them Softly. Director of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford working with Pitt again and bringing along James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins, Ben Mendelsohn and Sam Shepard? I'm really, really sold. Heard great things about it and the trailer works for me.

Man, people seriously needs to stop using the Man Comes Around.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

Man, people seriously needs to stop using the Man Comes Around.

There really should a moratorium on using Johnny Cash songs in trailers. At least for a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Zero Dark Thirty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcBjOVKKxh0

Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal dramatize the hunt for Osama bin Laden. Stars Joel Edgerton, Mark Strong, Jessica Chastain, Chris Pratt, Kyle loving Chandler, Mark Duplass (!), and quite a few others you may or may not recognize.

I'd say more but there's...really nothing to add. I'm one of the shocking few around here that thought The Hurt Locker was fantastic, and I don't really mind changing certain details for dramatic effect. I say bring it on.

• Locked thread