Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Is anyone else getting crazy terrain generation with large biomes now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

That looks pretty run of the mill for extreme hills IMHO.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Wooooah how are you guys getting these shots? What have I missed, what do I need to do that?

I used Overviewer, a command line isometric map generator. You load up your world in it and it'll create an google maps style map in a web browser.

Progress has been made on a dining hall and Wizard's Tower complete with Nether portal, as well as a barracks and blacksmith for the castle yard. Have you been able to place upside down stairs and slabs independently before now? Because it is amaaaaaaazing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

tinaun posted:

Is anyone else getting crazy terrain generation with large biomes now?

That type of terrain generation has always existed. It's the Extreme Hills biome.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I know that, but they seem more extreme, with more cliffs, floating islands, and overhangs.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love finding crazy overhangs and arches like that. I keep thinking I'll build some kind of mountain castle sort of hanging out the bottom of one, but then the difficulty of actually getting up there and building it brings me back to reality and I find some nice flat field to build on instead.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
I think that the 1.3 patch notes mentioned increasing hill heights even on non-extreme biomes, so that's probably helped generate those.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

tinaun posted:

I know that, but they seem more extreme, with more cliffs, floating islands, and overhangs.

Landscape like that is really cool, but it doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me. I don't think they altered extreme hills land generation at all this patch.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

FidgetyRat posted:

I also have a habit of taking "in progress" screenshots. Took way too long to flatten that land.

Turn it into a rainforest then truth the rest of the world into a desert.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Put a big glass dome over the top first.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

MikeJF posted:

Put a big glass dome over the top first.

just build a copy of

I just went there this weekend, that place's insane.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Try the seed "Battletoads" set to "Large Biomes" in 1.3.1. You spawn in a penninsula of Jungle biome surrounded by desert, with a ton of caves near your start location, one of which contains a spider spawner/dungeon that's exposed to sunlight on 2 sides, making it really easy to capture during the day time (sorry, no coordinates, prepare to get lost as gently caress until you cut some trails.). Also, a small surface cave full of lava, which I used as a starting base because it saved me on torches, near X:111, Z:20.

I've now got a shoddly made tree fort on the tall tree at X:111, Z:20.

Thanks for the tip, Shabadu.

I can't wait till they make the 1.3 version of Optifine, because running this game non-multicore means I'm back to the occasional slideshow here and there.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

1.3 just came out and I'm already looking forward to 1.4!

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Click for larger:

Southwest up

Northwest up.

The Lava Pyramid is my mining outpost built on top of my original first-night hidey hole. The small dark tower on my outerwall connects underground to a train station being built under the little hill at my wall, which is going to cross the bridge so I don't have to walk. I'm working on hollowing out that mountain into a house (you can see the windows of my living room in the lower pic).

....It's all so tiny :ohdear:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Spoggerific posted:

I like making roads with half blocks in the middle and stairs on the side. If you want it to be 3 or 5 wide, you can either put 1 or 3 half blocks in the middle part. With all of the different flavors of stairs and half blocks available now, you could probably make some pretty nice patterns as well.

Personally I like using full-block height roads but with stairs at the sides, facing inwards. The little gap between the stair and roadbed makes it look like an old-fashioned open gutter which works pretty well with medieval aesthetics.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Frobbe posted:

just build a copy of

I just went there this weekend, that place's insane.

How much wax must they use to get the mirror polish on that floor?

Also, where is this?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Wooooah how are you guys getting these shots? What have I missed, what do I need to do that?

I use "MinecraftOverviewer" on my server. We generate a new web-based map every 2 hours. Since the new patch might make things confusing, ours is a full blown linux-based server.

Overviewer is python based, so should be cross platform. All my experience is just on the linux end though.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

IUG posted:

How much wax must they use to get the mirror polish on that floor?
Maybe that is why they went bankcrupt :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CargoLifter

IUG posted:

Also, where is this?
The hangars are now this: http://www.tropical-islands.de/en/

Located near Berlin: http://goo.gl/maps/0YOX3

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

fondue posted:

1.3 just came out and I'm already looking forward to 1.4!

... wait, why are the things they're holding purple? :raise:

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

President Ark posted:

I think they're enchanted. One looks like a shovel, the other a sword.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
This Dinnerbone guy is loving on the ball. Him and Jeb should just take over.

Now people can do LPs and stuff without worrying about YouTube morons swarming all over their favorite servers. This kind of programming is downright thoughtful, I loving love it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

President Ark posted:

Yes, they're enchanted.

If he makes it so you can give skeletons something besides a bow I think I'll swoon. God ... I'm getting excited over a video game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Boat posted:

This Dinnerbone guy is loving on the ball. Him and Jeb should just take over.

Every time I see these screenshots, I become more and more convinced that Dinnerbone is the next best thing to happen to Minecraft since Jeb.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

Every time I see these screenshots, I become more and more convinced that Dinnerbone is the next best thing to happen to Minecraft since Jeb.

Seriously. I had followed most of the Mojang team on twitter just to see what's up, and I've completely dropped everybody but those two. Notch's feed was utterly useless crap constantly, but these guys are at least amusing if not informative.

Really looking forward to the work they're putting in. If they're listening to feedback from map makers, LPers and the like the next few revisions are going to be amazing.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Dinnerbone does seem pretty cool. Also seems to be quick at going from the "here's an idea I had" to "it's in the update" too. Fast turnaround on ideas is very anti-Notch.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Parkingtigers posted:

Fast turnaround on ideas is very anti-Notch.

That's very funny because in the beginning of Minecraft's development fast turnaround on ideas was Notch's hallmark. Of course being an incredibly rich internet celebrity takes a lot of your time.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
In that case let's hope Dinnerbone doesn't get given a raise any time soon.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Who is Dinnerbone? One of the Bukkit guys or a completely new guy?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Iacen posted:

Who is Dinnerbone? One of the Bukkit guys or a completely new guy?

Yeah, he's one of the Bukkit guys, but unlike the rest of the Bukkit team, he moved to Sweden and is working out of the Mojang offices directly, and doesn't seem to be working on the API primarily.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Parkingtigers posted:

Dinnerbone does seem pretty cool. Also seems to be quick at going from the "here's an idea I had" to "it's in the update" too. Fast turnaround on ideas is very anti-Notch.

What's funny is way back at the start Notch was flying along. It was 100% the right thing to pass it on though once he ran out of steam.

Edit: wow totally beaten

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 2, 2012

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'll be impressed when they fix some of the fundamental problems with the game, not when they add gimmicky stuff like zombies wearing helmets. There's still no ambient sounds in the game at all and a lot of missing sound effects. PVP still sucks. There's still hardly a "game" unless you count killing a retarded dragon.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

I'll be impressed when they fix some of the fundamental problems with the game, not when they add gimmicky stuff like zombies wearing helmets. There's still no ambient sounds in the game at all and a lot of missing sound effects. PVP still sucks. There's still hardly a "game" unless you count killing a retarded dragon.

The dragon was almost a satrical response to people wanting it to be a game. It will never be a game in a way that you seem to want it to be, Mojang actively doesn't want it to be.

I'm fine with that, I don't see why it needs to be one.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I don't expect it to ever be one. But like with the zombies, the monsters in the game are without exception annoying and not fun to play against. Having to hit them a dozen times with a stone sword is beyond stupid. They should do something to address that instead of adding baby zombies.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Schweinhund posted:

I don't expect it to ever be one. But like with the zombies, the monsters in the game are without exception annoying and not fun to play against. Having to hit them a dozen times with a stone sword is beyond stupid. They should do something to address that instead of adding baby zombies.

Get a better sword? All the mobs become pathetic once you get good gear, which is pretty trivial. That isn't even taking enchanting into account, which makes things even easier than it was before. For the record I don't like this, I wish stuff was actually threatening aside from the cave spider horde. Even then cave spiders are only dangerous because of their annoying poison bullshit.

VVV Skeletons don't have an animation for firing their bows so I wouldn't be surprised if they went the :effort: route and had them just bump into you.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Well, since they're holding weapons, maybe they'll actually swing them now.

Or else it's going to look even more ridiculous.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Baby zombies in armour is the best possible move for making me love the game even more.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Ok, now I've got the horrible image of two zombies loving in my head. It's all fun until bits fall off...

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Ok, now I've got the horrible image of two zombies loving in my head. It's all fun until bits fall off...

:eyepop:

On another note, has anyone played on the Minecraft Hunger Games servers? They've got games of 150 people that start every few minutes, and with a host of different classes to choose from (Poseidon has + damage in water, Endermage can drop a portal that teleports enemies to it from above or below, etc.), it is a pretty enjoyable diversion. There's no reward for winning or anything (frankly they should give you your pick of a free class- which each cost around 2 or 3 bucks to pay for server hosting), but it can be pretty fun.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

:eyepop:

On another note, has anyone played on the Minecraft Hunger Games servers? They've got games of 150 people that start every few minutes, and with a host of different classes to choose from (Poseidon has + damage in water, Endermage can drop a portal that teleports enemies to it from above or below, etc.), it is a pretty enjoyable diversion. There's no reward for winning or anything (frankly they should give you your pick of a free class- which each cost around 2 or 3 bucks to pay for server hosting), but it can be pretty fun.
I played them but the ones I played on were rampant with cheating. In addition if you weren't with a group (or cheating) you pretty much lose.

An honest experience when you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

fondue posted:

I played them but the ones I played on were rampant with cheating. In addition if you weren't with a group (or cheating) you pretty much lose.

An honest experience when you think about it.

Haven't seen any cheating on my end, but I hear you with the groups. A couple times i've been slaughtered by a group of 3-6, thanks to compasses, but even going solo i've won before and placed top 5-10 pretty consistently. Its all about waiting out the initial slaughter by getting well away from the crowds and seeking out food and an iron suit ASAP.