Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jayk
Mar 10, 2012

1of7 posted:

I went to the ceremony. As far as I know, we had 1 OMS & 1 IMS in this class. But, I'll leave posting their results up to them.

2 IMS and an OMS!

I don't have another EL bid list to compare to, but ours was pretty drat good...

I got Bangkok and it admittedly wasn't even my first choice :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Saho posted:

Kathmandu, IMS

!!

Congrats! I know an IMS going there, Eddie. (bald guy).. hilarious and a lot of fun! (Nepal owns if you like outdoors activities, btw)

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Business of Ferrets posted:

We noticed that! And we are!

uh, did you fly business? I heard we can get biz class if it's a long flight. Then again, I heard "no business ever, unless you want to pay for it"

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

uh, did you fly business? I heard we can get biz class if it's a long flight. Then again, I heard "no business ever, unless you want to pay for it"

There is no business class permitted anymore. If your flight is longer than 14 hours you are entitled to a rest break with a hotel stay though.

Natural Ice
Mar 22, 2007
SPF 15

jayk posted:

2 IMS and an OMS!

I don't have another EL bid list to compare to, but ours was pretty drat good...

I got Bangkok and it admittedly wasn't even my first choice :aaa:

Congrats! When are you scheduled at post? I just arrived in bkk in may and would be happy to show you around. Shoot me a pm when you get the chance.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

TCD posted:

Never, ever be President of your Employee Association.

DON'T DO IT.

On the other hand, being post AFSA rep is pretty low-key, takes minimal amounts of work and looks good.

Vilerat posted:

There is no business class permitted anymore. If your flight is longer than 14 hours you are entitled to a rest break with a hotel stay though.

You theoeretically can get it if your flight is longer than 14 hours AND there is an urgent recuperation need (e.g. your 14 hour flight arrives at 1am local time and you need to be at work that morning.) I wrote a justification for it for a trip that as far as I know was ultimately approved, but the trip ended up being cancelled.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 2, 2012

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Updated the OP with some of the new people (I had no idea Saho was in!)

We're now up to at least 20 FS goons (with likely more that we just don't know about.) That's pretty rad. Goon foreign policy, best policy.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

On the other hand, being post AFSA rep is pretty low-key, takes minimal amounts of work and looks good.

You theoeretically can get it if your flight is longer than 14 hours AND there is an urgent recuperation need (e.g. your 14 hour flight arrives at 1am local time and you need to be at work that morning.) I wrote a justification for it for a trip that as far as I know was ultimately approved, but the trip ended up being cancelled.

Huh. TMYK!

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Since we're on the subject, I've got a business class question that I may have asked before here but can't remember if I got an answer. One FSO friend told me super tall folks could get business class, another said that wasn't the policy. Both were tiny so they had no reason to actually know.

At 6'8", it's kind of concern for me, since 14 hours in coach would not only be horrifically painful, but somewhat dangerous for my health.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Kase Im Licht posted:

Since we're on the subject, I've got a business class question that I may have asked before here but can't remember if I got an answer. One FSO friend told me super tall folks could get business class, another said that wasn't the policy. Both were tiny so they had no reason to actually know.

At 6'8", it's kind of concern for me, since 14 hours in coach would not only be horrifically painful, but somewhat dangerous for my health.

Depends. I know three people above 6'6" here that fly painfully in coach.

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

I'm going in tomorrow for my medical clearance, as far as I know my contacts for my security clearance haven't been contacted yet. Fun part, my husband took my son in for his medical clearance since they recommended the whole family do it now. He's 4 so too young to use the State Dept doctors. His pediatrician screwed it all up (I didn't go with) and just wrote n/a on most of the tests and said that she'd never filled out that form before or seen it before so CLEARLY we had the wrong form. Military doctor, military health facility. Even though the hubs brought the letter saying all tests are required and I freaking HIGHLIGHTED that part and he explained it was for the State Dept, NOT a command sponsorship deal with the military. It will be interesting to see how mine goes because I'm using the military facility too, but I'm not as easily brushed off. Probably going to have to put my demanding bitch hat on for it all. I don't have enough vacation time at work to take off to go back down to DC for 2 days to have it all done. And we don't get sick leave. :argh: :bang:

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

Diplomaticus posted:

Updated the OP with some of the new people (I had no idea Saho was in!)

We're now up to at least 20 FS goons (with likely more that we just don't know about.) That's pretty rad. Goon foreign policy, best policy.

And most of them probably as a result of this thread!

BTW I'm awaiting clearances, not in yet. OMS.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Miscreant Fromage posted:

I'm going in tomorrow for my medical clearance, as far as I know my contacts for my security clearance haven't been contacted yet. Fun part, my husband took my son in for his medical clearance since they recommended the whole family do it now. He's 4 so too young to use the State Dept doctors. His pediatrician screwed it all up (I didn't go with) and just wrote n/a on most of the tests and said that she'd never filled out that form before or seen it before so CLEARLY we had the wrong form. Military doctor, military health facility. Even though the hubs brought the letter saying all tests are required and I freaking HIGHLIGHTED that part and he explained it was for the State Dept, NOT a command sponsorship deal with the military. It will be interesting to see how mine goes because I'm using the military facility too, but I'm not as easily brushed off. Probably going to have to put my demanding bitch hat on for it all. I don't have enough vacation time at work to take off to go back down to DC for 2 days to have it all done. And we don't get sick leave. :argh: :bang:

At least for mine, the first doctor visit didn't do some of the required tests, and MED wouldn't issue a clearance until they were completed. Of course, that was 4 years ago, so who knows what they do now.

edit:

Serious Business posted:

:siren: Disclaimer: The posts in this thread are purely the individual opinions and thoughts of the various forum members here, and should not be taken in any way as official Department policy, or as having any approval or connection to the U.S. Department of State. This is just chatter from a bunch of goons on an internet comedy forum. :siren:

From the top of the first page :911:

TCD fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 2, 2012

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
I gotta stress that networking is 80% of this job and you're all starting with a HUGE advantage. Don't let that advantage go.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Does it matter what certification (of those they list) that you use to qualify for the IMS position or it basically just a check-box on the application?

I only ask because I'm already going for one (MCITP Server Admin 2008), but I see a lot of the others are a fair bit more involved, and I wonder if mine would be looked down upon.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TCD posted:

Never, ever be President of your Employee Association.

DON'T DO IT.

This is so completely true. Hell, don't even serve on the board. (And don't bitch about your Employee Association board!)

the_chavi fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 2, 2012

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the_chavi posted:

This is so completely true. Hell, don't even serve on the board. (And don't bitch about your Employee Association board!)
As President, I'm working between 2-4 hours a day on trying to solve a problem that's at a Mission Management Counselor level issue including how to diplomatically influence said officer and Front Office on the issue.

I hate my life.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Does it matter what certification (of those they list) that you use to qualify for the IMS position or it basically just a check-box on the application?

I only ask because I'm already going for one (MCITP Server Admin 2008), but I see a lot of the others are a fair bit more involved, and I wonder if mine would be looked down upon.

I think they're just checkboxes. It doesn't really matter, you can get a percentage pay increase if you get it.. after you're hired (protip: if you're already in the process, you might as well wait on it). If you get the certification before you're hired, you're ineligible for the pay increase. It's either 7 or 14% your pay.

However, MS server 2003 and 2008 may be used at Post, so it may be beneficial to have one. Your duties won't change a thing, just your knowledge on the subject. State can also pay for additional training, and that sometimes includes the actual microsoft certificates. That's why I suggest you wait if you're in the process.

TBQH, the CISSP (which is kind of useless as a cert due to the crazy requirements FYI), is fairly useful because it covers a wide range of topics - most which are used as an IMS. If you get the ISC or Gold book on it and understand all the content in it, you should be well prepared for training.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Saho posted:

Kathmandu, IMS

!!

You're going to work with an awesome ISO. Super smart guy with a 4/4 in three languages and a 3/3 in something else.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Sanaa, Yemen. OMS.

mtreecorner fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 2, 2012

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

mtreecorner posted:

Sanaa, Yemen. OMS.

Respect. You shipping out soon?

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Homie S posted:

Respect. You shipping out soon?

End of September. I have some extra required training. Most of the OMSers are leaving beginning of September. A few got language training and will be here until April/May.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

mtreecorner posted:

End of September. I have some extra required training. Most of the OMSers are leaving beginning of September. A few got language training and will be here until April/May.

Gotcha. Good luck to you, PM me if you have questions although Im sure my info is slightly outdated.

ATI Jesus
Aug 14, 2003
I can walk on water with my ATI graphics card installed!

Vilerat posted:

My favorite was 2 (?) years ago when we got a niact on a Friday to make sure everybody knew to put their flags at half staff on Monday. Our building didn't have a flag.

Do not forget that the flag would have already been at half mast because it was loving MEMORIAL DAY.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Skandiaavity posted:

I think they're just checkboxes. It doesn't really matter, you can get a percentage pay increase if you get it.. after you're hired (protip: if you're already in the process, you might as well wait on it). If you get the certification before you're hired, you're ineligible for the pay increase. It's either 7 or 14% your pay.

However, MS server 2003 and 2008 may be used at Post, so it may be beneficial to have one. Your duties won't change a thing, just your knowledge on the subject. State can also pay for additional training, and that sometimes includes the actual microsoft certificates. That's why I suggest you wait if you're in the process.

TBQH, the CISSP (which is kind of useless as a cert due to the crazy requirements FYI), is fairly useful because it covers a wide range of topics - most which are used as an IMS. If you get the ISC or Gold book on it and understand all the content in it, you should be well prepared for training.

Well, this is my first cert off that list, so I need to finish it before I even apply for IMS. But that's good to know about not getting anymore immediately after until I'm in. I can see a clear progression to the MCITP Enterprise admin cert, which could bring about the pay bump.

If/when I really get this cert and get my application in, I'll make sure to grab one of those books for CISSP and look through it. I know it had been mentioned earlier in the thread that the technical assessment, while not hardcore, went into backups and some security stuff, which I really have no formal training in (though for some reason the IT company I work for has been having me be in charge of for the 4 months since I started there...).

Thanks for the info, really.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

ATI Jesus posted:

Do not forget that the flag would have already been at half mast because it was loving MEMORIAL DAY.

I totally forgot that point. That's still my fav stupid cable.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

mtreecorner posted:

Sanaa, Yemen. OMS.

Should be challenging! Feel free to come hang out in Addis on your vacations.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mtreecorner posted:

Sanaa, Yemen. OMS.

Send me an email at draperha and I'll introduce you to my friend who's going out there. It'll be good for you to meet her before you fly.

Also, seconds on spending vacation time in Addis. There's a direct Ethiopian Airways flight that's pretty cheap.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Can't you find a better vacation spot than Addis?

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

Vilerat posted:

He can come to Fiji, but I doubt there's a cheap flight.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vilerat posted:

It's the closest source of above-the-table beer to Sanaa. Don't knock that.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
I live in the land of awesome beer. I am truly blessed.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Yemen! Dang. That's gonna be an interesting story for a first tour. If it's a little dry and you miss the rain, feel free to come hang out in Manila sometime next August.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Skandiaavity posted:

Yemen! Dang. That's gonna be an interesting story for a first tour. If it's a little dry and you miss the rain, feel free to come hang out in Manila sometime next August.

They get a fairly decent monsoon period themselves.

The nice thing about Sanaa is that there's no malaria!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So are y'all allowed to wear (appropriately professional) local clothing to work as well as your standard suit and tie? It would be pretty great to see FSOs rocking a bright pink-and-yellow West African behind the desk.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Slaan posted:

So are y'all allowed to wear (appropriately professional) local clothing to work as well as your standard suit and tie? It would be pretty great to see FSOs rocking a bright pink-and-yellow West African behind the desk.

Local clothing at work? LES notwithstanding, I definitely have not seen that in a work environment. Although it would have been awesome to wear a thobe to work in Saudi cause they're hella comfortable.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
There was a western lady at Embassy Baghdad who always wore middle-eastern dress. It was awkward to watch and in my best estimation was a waypoint on some personal journey of discovery.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

the_chavi posted:

Send me an email at draperha and I'll introduce you to my friend who's going out there. It'll be good for you to meet her before you fly.

I'll hit you up. I already connected with one person but the more the merrier.

Diplomaticus posted:

Should be challenging! Feel free to come hang out in Addis on your vacations.

Haha Thanks. The biggest challenge in Yemen is the restrictions. You are only at the hotel or the embassy. I can bet I will be looking for cheap flights out even if its just a long weekend.

Skandiaavity posted:

It will be a story for sure. Plus, I bid on it for the money and the equity I will get for my second tour. (Did I mention the 4 R/Rs) It does rain there and the weather is actually really nice. Think Southern CA.

With my extra cash... I am for sure going to be looking for a vacation or two.

mtreecorner fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 4, 2012

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
oh, SoCal weather is great.

Quick q, though: my understanding (from our CDO) was that your first two tours are directed and thus, don't qualify as hardship; thus you don't have any real equity for the first two. On the third it might have a large impact. Would that effect your pay as well? 'Cause that would suck.

(apologies in advance if my CDO is incorrect, i would appreciate any corrections)

vvvv- clarification: do you get equity on your first two tours? since they're directed?

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

oh, SoCal weather is great.

Quick q, though: my understanding (from our CDO) was that your first two tours are directed and thus, don't qualify as hardship; thus you don't have any real equity for the first two. On the third it might have a large impact. Would that effect your pay as well? 'Cause that would suck.

(apologies in advance if my CDO is incorrect, i would appreciate any corrections)

What? I'm not understanding your post.