Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
They have a new can label now. As long as it says dullcote you should be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I feel like it needs a little something to make it pop more but I'm not sure what.

Any ideas goons?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

One extra layer of highlights for that extra pop? It's looking great though.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
French Foot Artillery battery (18mm, again for Napoleon at War).

Christ, I need a decent camera. Also, I haven't put grass tufts on the bases yet.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Anyone have any idea the largest caliber artillery used in WW2 is? I am still hunting for potential Artillery pieces for my DKoK but the 105mm 1/35 scale artillery pieces still don't have cannons that seem large enough. I found some 155mm stuff but its modern day looking.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Sole.Sushi posted:

Battle for Blue Kool-Aid
Battle for the Dildo-Bong is more like it.

midge posted:

This is what I came up with (...did it again since Reaper doesn't seem to cookie cart info)

Lord Merick Farrow - Artwork - Proxy
Sir Alric Farrow - Artwork - Proxy
Lady Eliza Farrow - Artwork - Proxy
Splig - Artwork - Nothing Yet!
Belthir - Artwork - Proxy
Zachareth - Artwork - Proxy

Zachareth is probably the worst match, but I prefer the Lady Farrow compared to the FFG version.
Yeah, the quality is like night and day, the FFG minis are like GW from '96. Or worse. The only problem is that I have a ling wishlist and if I do order from Reaper it's gonna cost hundreds of dollars. Like half of their angel range, for example.

BadLlama posted:

Anyone have any idea the largest caliber artillery used in WW2 is?
Dora was 800 mm, large enough for you? :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 1, 2012

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

ijyt posted:

Shouldn't it be on the can?

Different can. It's got a blue label now and says "spray lacquer" or something on the front, but the tag on the cap will say dullcote.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

BadLlama posted:

Anyone have any idea the largest caliber artillery used in WW2 is? I am still hunting for potential Artillery pieces for my DKoK but the 105mm 1/35 scale artillery pieces still don't have cannons that seem large enough. I found some 155mm stuff but its modern day looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxuW8gG8Hfg
http://user.mc.net/hawk/biggun.htm (honest, this is an actual serious link, don't let 'Hawk Biggun' fool you!)

You did ask for the biggest artillery :)

You can get barrel bits from places like this: http://www.rbmodel.com/index.php?action=products&cat=c_bm&sub=35B

How about : http://www.rbmodel.com/picture.php?dir=35B91

I have no idea what the plastic kit is that's attached to that monster, but the site does allsorts of different scales, so perhaps you can get the look you want in a bigger scale?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

BadLlama posted:

If you're meaning self-propelled rather than just some kind of field gun, a Sturer Emil might be suitable?

There's a 1/35 Trumpeter kit available. Here are a couply of hasty photos of it with a possibly regrettable Stug IV/Hellhound and a Vindicator as well as a CSM for scale. The hull of the Sturer Emil is 8" long in 1/35, and it's 11" from the rear of the vehicle to the end of the gun barrel. It's big.

Edit: A Sturmtiger has a 380mm gun so might have just enough gun?

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 1, 2012

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^^

Alright that may be a little too big. I think I have settled on this guy, http://www.megahobby.com/m-59155mmcannonlongtom1-35afvclub.aspx

Just have to add some shield off a basilisk kit and maybe swap out the wheels if I am feeling up to it.

Not looking for self propelled stuff, need field artillery for Death Korps army list I am making.

I do like your stug conversion I am thinking of a way to get it in my army, was thinking either a hell hound or a thunderer siege tank.

http://www.megahobby.com/sturmtiger38cmrw61aufsturmmorsertigertank1-48afvclub.aspx

What do you now they have a Sturmtiger right here, gonna write this guy down as a possibility for a thunderer siege tank conversion.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

There's a guide, somewhere on the Warseer forums from a few years ago I think, to making a kind of weird Stug-looking tank by reversing the hull of a Leman Russ and attaching the main gun barrel to the front of the hull. I remember liking it at the time.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?29192-StuG-Russ-Conversion-Guide!-%28pic-heavy%29 This guide? Its really an awesome conversion.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 1, 2012

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There's a guide, somewhere on the Warseer forums from a few years ago I think, to making a kind of weird Stug-looking tank by reversing the hull of a Leman Russ and attaching the main gun barrel to the front of the hull. I remember liking it at the time.

That Long Tom is pretty huge. I look forward to seeing the results. DKoK are great, but pricey :smith: I would love an army of them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The new GW washes are superior in every way to the old ones. Just realized this since I hadnt really had a chance to use them til this week.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

The new GW washes are superior in every way to the old ones. Just realized this since I hadnt really had a chance to use them til this week.

I'd let Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil do terrible things to me. Terrible things.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Pierzak posted:

Battle for the Dildo-Bong is more like it.

The dildo-bongiest.

Finished up some objective markers.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

Speaking of, is their new medium (the Lahmian Medium?) the same as they use in their washes, i.e. will it curb pooling?

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I like them both for different reasons.
The new ones have better control, but the old ones pool really naturally and heavily.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
^^^^
Lhamian Medium is a bit of a mystery. The only official GW use I've seen for it is to make transfers blend in with the paint job (a task done infinitely better by micro-set/micro-sol). I've used it to thin paints a bit, and I'm guessing it's a transparent glaze medium judging by how it behaves.

Pilgrimski posted:

You did ask for the biggest artillery :)

Ahh, the Gustav. The company that made this behemoth is still around today and still make things that inspire fear in Goons.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Lahmian medium is a matte acrylic pigmentless medium. Basically paint without the colour in them. Basically you paint it over the top of 'ardcoat and other glossy surfaces (transfers) to get a matte finish.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

So it's basically a $4 12ml bottle of acrylic floor polish?

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 2, 2012

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That mixed with matte medium from the art store, it sounds like.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Flipswitch posted:

One extra layer of highlights for that extra pop? It's looking great though.

Did that, now very pleased! Thanks!

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Silhouette posted:

So it's basically a $4 12ml bottle of acrylic floor polish?

120ml costs $4.25 at pretty much any art store.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.

Manifest posted:

Different can. It's got a blue label now and says "spray lacquer" or something on the front, but the tag on the cap will say dullcote.

Thanks, that's what mine said. Just "Spray lacquer" on the can (for both gloss and dull) and a sticker on the cap that said which. Your labeling is dumb, Testors. :argh:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

For a company based out of Rockford IL, I'm surprised they didn't start getting stupid sooner.

loving city "spent" $48 Mil on a drat round-a-bout, which is literally in the middle of nowhere, and has seen more accidents than when it was just a street light.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well this is a new one on me. For the first time in almost twenty years (on and off) of this hobby I've just had a model start to split in two along the mould line during clean up.

gently caress Finecast.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cross-post/asking!

Hey goons, does anyone know about this OzHammer website?
They say they sell to Australia and New Zealand from the UK, at UK prices but I'm dubious. Has anyone ordered from them before?

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Well this is a new one on me. For the first time in almost twenty years (on and off) of this hobby I've just had a model start to split in two along the mould line during clean up.

gently caress Finecast.

Post a picture so that we may laugh at the folly of Finecast.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

gently caress Finecast.

I've had that!
The first Isabella Von Carstein I opened was hollow.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm considering changing the gold recipe I use in my Space Wolves (Warplock Bronze -> Agrax Earthshade -> Gehenna Gold) since it's not quite the same as the old gold look, and was considering something akin to what's going on with Bjorn here, with a basecoat of Warplock Bronze, wash with a light blue color, then layer back on the bronze for a verdigris effect. Anyone here have experience painting a verdigris effect that have some tips for me? :shobon:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Pulled my first five test hormagaunts out of the vat today and went to work with a toothbrush taking off the paint. It worked pretty well all up, the fake snow stuff on the base was a bit of work.

The vast majority of paint is gone but there is still a bit of colour in the harder to reach places like underneath the chest clawy type things. There isn't too much as the original owner painted nice and watered down to begin with, so I'm thinking of just spraying over once they dry out with my primer. I don't really want to be spending more than 20 minutes per five models as I have about 60 gants to do.

Are there problems I need to look put for other than losing detail?(I washed them thoroughly with water before setting to dry)

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
You could always use 1/48-1/35 scale German 88's as field artillery. They'd scale up nicely next to your guys.

BadLlama posted:

^^^

Alright that may be a little too big. I think I have settled on this guy, http://www.megahobby.com/m-59155mmcannonlongtom1-35afvclub.aspx

Just have to add some shield off a basilisk kit and maybe swap out the wheels if I am feeling up to it.

Not looking for self propelled stuff, need field artillery for Death Korps army list I am making.

I do like your stug conversion I am thinking of a way to get it in my army, was thinking either a hell hound or a thunderer siege tank.

http://www.megahobby.com/sturmtiger38cmrw61aufsturmmorsertigertank1-48afvclub.aspx

What do you now they have a Sturmtiger right here, gonna write this guy down as a possibility for a thunderer siege tank conversion.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?29192-StuG-Russ-Conversion-Guide!-%28pic-heavy%29 This guide? Its really an awesome conversion.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Irate Tree posted:

Cross-post/asking!

Hey goons, does anyone know about this OzHammer website?
They say they sell to Australia and New Zealand from the UK, at UK prices but I'm dubious. Has anyone ordered from them before?

I can't imagine them staying in business long, once gw gets wind of it. Which sucks, because id rather not have to order from ebay all the time.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Are there problems I need to look put for other than losing detail?

Unless it's really, really heavily caked in there, the level of detail you will lose is pretty low. Once they are absolutely dry, putting a primer layer over it will make it seem like nothing happened at all.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

bhsman posted:

Anyone here have experience painting a verdigris effect that have some tips for me? :shobon:

I talked a bit about verdigris in a blog post, but the most simple way to do it is thin washes of a blue/green (I forget what the new Citadel color is called but there's one that's perfect)

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

bhsman posted:

Anyone here have experience painting a verdigris effect that have some tips for me? :shobon:

There's a little metals section in this old WD masterclass article that shows a bit of verdigris: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m220143a_Ork_Warboss_Painting_Masterclass

It's pretty much as Gravitas said though, just wash some turquoise into the recesses.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Cross postin'.

Click for full size :orks:

I may go back at some point and do more highlights, maybe add some dead grass to the bases, but for now I'm happy with them. All the arms are magnetised too, because you can never have enough magnets!

Any suggestions on what else could be done to improve them?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

gently caress Finecast.

Haha, holy poo poo.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

gently caress Finecast.
I really have to wonder what their process is for casting these models. I don't think you can get a proper resin cast without a vacuum chamber due to the bubbles created in the mixing process. GW has got to be re-purposing their spin-casting tech for Finecast and it just ain't working.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Dark Project posted:

You could always use 1/48-1/35 scale German 88's as field artillery. They'd scale up nicely next to your guys.

I don't think 1/48 Fits the scale properly for huge gently caress off artillery. 1/35 88's do look pretty cool but even then not sure how well they fit the huge artillery category. Wish these website would put 28mm figures next to everything ^_^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I really have to wonder what their process is for casting these models. I don't think you can get a proper resin cast without a vacuum chamber due to the bubbles created in the mixing process. GW has got to be re-purposing their spin-casting tech for Finecast and it just ain't working.

That has to be what it is, because it's the only thing that could explain how I'd get an isabella von carstein that was essentially hollow, even in the sprue.

• Locked thread