Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

HateTrain posted:

When I did my QRIDE course one of the other students was a young woman who, during the public road u-turn, managed to somehow turn so wide that she crossed four lanes (two each way), ran up a sloped curb and ended up in someone's front yard revving the engine, spraying dirt into the air and ruining a garden bed full of some very nice flowers. The instructor had to walk her bike back out onto the road for her.

She passed.

(In the instructor's defence, she was hot. :rolleyes:)

In the same group was a more experienced rider upgrading his license so he could ride bikes of any size. You basically do the same drills as the learners but on a 650 instead of a 250. He showed up on his litrebike (which he technically wasn't licensed to ride yet), bleary-eyed and hungover (perhaps still a little drunk?), left the course twice to vomit in the bushes and regaled the instructor with fascinating tales of hitting 190 km/h on the highway. He spent most of the road-ride portion out in front, at the direction of the instructor, because "you look like you know what you're doing", while the instructor rode along observing us novices.

He passed.

I really, really hope I just attended a bad riding school and the whole licensing system in this state isn't horribly broken.

Pretty sure you just had a dodgy instructor - mine (TKs in Toowoomba) said outright that if we made 2 traffic infractions of any kind we fail. Thankfully my class was all people that were good, so nobody failed. Even the Harley guy that came along (nice guy) that couldn't do some of the slower stuff at the start of the day passed because the instructor sat there and made him do it over and over until he had it at a passable level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTrain
Aug 21, 2007
Been ridin' way too long.

Shimrod posted:

Pretty sure you just had a dodgy instructor

I sure hope so. Even though I passed and am licensed I'm tempted to re-do the course anyway due to my suspicion that my instructor might have failed to teach me all kinds of important things.

Edit: At a different riding school, of course.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

Bixington posted:

That's some of the gooniest poo poo I've ever read.
If it makes you feel any better, it's a size XXL and I wear it under my Dragon Ball Z button-down jersey.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

it's called embellishing, chill out

I am not the internet tough guy taking about thanking God for somebody hopefully getting killed and being tempted to murder people over something that is annoying, at worst.

Chill, indeed. I guess this is the right thread.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 2, 2012

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

HateTrain posted:

When I did my QRIDE course one of the other students was a young woman who, during the public road u-turn, managed to somehow turn so wide that she crossed four lanes (two each way), ran up a sloped curb and ended up in someone's front yard revving the engine, spraying dirt into the air and ruining a garden bed full of some very nice flowers. The instructor had to walk her bike back out onto the road for her.

She passed.

(In the instructor's defence, she was hot. :rolleyes:)

In the same group was a more experienced rider upgrading his license so he could ride bikes of any size. You basically do the same drills as the learners but on a 650 instead of a 250. He showed up on his litrebike (which he technically wasn't licensed to ride yet), bleary-eyed and hungover (perhaps still a little drunk?), left the course twice to vomit in the bushes and regaled the instructor with fascinating tales of hitting 190 km/h on the highway. He spent most of the road-ride portion out in front, at the direction of the instructor, because "you look like you know what you're doing", while the instructor rode along observing us novices.

He passed.

I really, really hope I just attended a bad riding school and the whole licensing system in this state isn't horribly broken.

Holy poo poo dude, I'd be firing off an email to QLD Transport or whatever they're called about that crap. That's crazy.

When I did my training in Sydney, a woman was failed for not braking quickly enough twice on her emergency braking test. She had already dropped her bike on gravel once when pulling up at her place of work apparently, and seeing the way the used her front brake I'm not surprised - she used it like an on/off switch at low speeds. Anyway, standards where I did my training were quite high, and they trained us on a tighter set of guidelines than what the actual test was, so by the time we got to crunch time all but one of us was well and truly able.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 2, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Had a guy asking about my bike last night while the ferry was docking. He was interested in the front fairing and lights.
"I was looking at it. That's a crazy front end. I'm used to cruisers. Are the lights those flashing ones?"
"No they're standard, I get a lot of people telling me I have a light out though. One of them is a headlight and the other is the brights."
"Ah, I hate those flashing ones. What's the point to em?"
"Pretty sure they're aftermarket lights. I think the idea is to increase drivers awareness of the bike. Safety thing."
"It's dumb. I've always been a 'loud pipes save lives' guy, myself."
He was a nice guy, I just found it interesting that he was so annoyed by one thing that's really not that annoying while believing in something really annoying.

clutchpuck posted:

I am not the internet tough guy taking about thanking God for somebody hopefully getting killed and being tempted to murder people over something that is annoying, at worst.

Chill, indeed. I guess this is the right thread.

:reject:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Pagan posted:

I used to live in the center of Providence, Rhode Island. Federal Hill, for other New Englanders. I lived in an apartment above a major thoroughfare, right at a major intersection with a long wait at a red light.

Summer was a nightmare. I didn't have air conditioning, so I had to keep the windows open. And every tiny dicked Harley riding loser would stop just underneath my living room window and rev their engine for 90 straight seconds. WHOOOO bubububa WHOOOO bubububa WHOOOO bubububa...

Of course, I also lived right down the street from some major clubs, so Saturday nights were even worse. 2:30 AM, same thing.

I was very, very tempted to climb onto a nearby roof with a sniper rifle and take out some of the "loud pipes save lives" crowd. My only consolation was the knowledge that RI doesn't have a helmet law, so a huge percentage of those idiots are probably dead now. Thank god.

You'd be stunned at how many roofing nails seem to fall out of the shopping bag when you cross the street. It often requires you to make several trips to the hardware store to make it home with enough of them. o.O

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Pope Mobile posted:

He was a nice guy, I just found it interesting that he was so annoyed by one thing that's really not that annoying while believing in something really annoying.

To be fair, headlight modulators are incredibly obnoxious, just not as obnoxious as stupidly loud pipes.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Tamir Lenk posted:

You'd be stunned at how many roofing nails seem to fall out of the shopping bag when you cross the street. It often requires you to make several trips to the hardware store to make it home with enough of them. o.O

Er...huh?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Drop some nails in the road the Harleys frequent. gently caress collateral damage.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

He's saying you can leave nails in the road to give people flat tires. CALM DOWN CLUTCHPUCK he's just joking

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Haha wow, that went right over my stupid head.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Guinness posted:

To be fair, headlight modulators are incredibly obnoxious, just not as obnoxious as stupidly loud pipes.

And totally legal, unlike loud pipes

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

He's saying you can leave nails in the road to give people flat tires. CALM DOWN CLUTCHPUCK he's just joking

One time, somebody is going to do that and kill somebody. BUT HES JUST JOKING

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

I always thought "but it was funny" was a valid affirmative defense in murder trials.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress collateral damage.
What did I do now? :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

What did I do now? :(

Crime of being too sexy.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Pagan: WHOOOO bubububa - finest example of onomatopoeia I have ever read. Runner up: Fixed Gear Guy with brapbrap.

What's interesting is that a stock Harley sounds like a sewing machine, but all it takes is one slack-jawed idiot in a Staind t-shirt to point this out and people wind up making a beeline for the parts counter out of beta male shame. Yes, there is a distinctive sound at idle. At least I think it's distinctive. I honestly don't hear much of a difference between the stock bikes and their Japanese counterparts until you add amplification.

Honestly, at 3AM, Akrapovic and Samson products are equally annoying.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
"You rode a motorcycle here? But I didn't hear anything from inside the house when you pulled up."

Happens all the time.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

No, someone's going to do that and it might make a tire flat. If the "somebody" riding the bike with a newly flat tire is wearing gear and knows how to ride, they'll most likely be safe. In fact, wearing a full face helmet means you're 80% more likely to survive a motorcycle crash. Full gear means that not only are you likely to survive, you're likely to have less injuries, too.

However, if said "somebody" is a loving dickless toolbag who things "LOUD PIPE SAVE LIVES" and has no idea what a front brake is for, and keeps his tiny, worthless helmet strapped to the back seat.... well, it's not my fault they've been killed in an otherwise completely survivable bike crash.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Just say you're being a dingleberry and let's move on.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

And totally legal, unlike loud pipes

You really shouldn't hold up american law as the arbiter here.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

eddiewalker posted:

"You rode a motorcycle here? But I didn't hear anything from inside the house when you pulled up."

Happens all the time.

This is the "don't feel so bad, that happens to all guys" of motorcycling.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Pagan posted:

No, someone's going to do that and it might make a tire flat. If the "somebody" riding the bike with a newly flat tire is wearing gear and knows how to ride, they'll most likely be safe. In fact, wearing a full face helmet means you're 80% more likely to survive a motorcycle crash. Full gear means that not only are you likely to survive, you're likely to have less injuries, too.

However, if said "somebody" is a loving dickless toolbag who things "LOUD PIPE SAVE LIVES" and has no idea what a front brake is for, and keeps his tiny, worthless helmet strapped to the back seat.... well, it's not my fault they've been killed in an otherwise completely survivable bike crash.

:stare:

Essence of meta-thread.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Guy on Speed Triple forum posted:

My stuff above didn't move on my 500 miles trip. It weight almost 180lbs by the time I finished. I even had that stuff for two passes of the dragon. I can't wait for September to roll around so I can do it again.

In response to a guy asking about how to pack a tent... gently caress me, 90kgs of stuff?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

Just say you're being a dingleberry and let's move on.

Yes, I'm such an rear end in a top hat and a dingleberry for wanting other people to be civil and respect the rights of others. What a jerk I am, thinking that I should be able to sit in my living room with the windows open and not be deafened. How rude, in fact, to expect to not be woken up by useless displays of inadequacy at 3 AM on a Sunday morning. Why, if I were a true gentleman, I'd be out there spending my own money purchasing pipe so these fine, upstanding citizens can broadcast their worldview at 130dB, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, right outside the windows of all and sundry!

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

Pagan posted:

Yes, I'm such an rear end in a top hat and a dingleberry for wanting other people to be civil and respect the rights of others. What a jerk I am, thinking that I should be able to sit in my living room with the windows open and not be deafened. How rude, in fact, to expect to not be woken up by useless displays of inadequacy at 3 AM on a Sunday morning. Why, if I were a true gentleman, I'd be out there spending my own money purchasing pipe so these fine, upstanding citizens can broadcast their worldview at 130dB, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, right outside the windows of all and sundry!
:goonsay:

just let it sink in that you're arguing about how you aren't an rear end in a top hat for wanting to injure people just because they were too loud. All after taking some guy's joke about roofing nails way too seriously. You big dumb nerd!

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Smile posted:

:goonsay:

just let it sink in that you're arguing about how you aren't an rear end in a top hat for wanting to injure people just because they were too loud. All after taking some guy's joke about roofing nails way too seriously. You big dumb nerd!

Wanting to injure other assholes doesn't make me one. Keep in mind I never ACTED on my desires, I just took schadenfreude in the knowledge that they are much more likely to get seriously injured or killed by their actions. But hey, I forgot that SA is all about peace and love.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
I'm going to go pull the baffles out of my pipes and rev the poo poo out of my bike in a quiet neighborhood at midnight tonight to spite clutchpuck's stupidity and the degeneration of this thread.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

"LOUD PIPES RUIN THREADS"

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
I lived next to a custom chopper shop for 3 years and you know what I did about the noise?....

Got over it.

It just became normal background noise and was not worth sperging out over it.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

I'm going to go pull the baffles out of my pipes and rev the poo poo out of my bike in a quiet neighborhood at midnight tonight to spite clutchpuck's stupidity and the degeneration of this thread.

Watch out for roofing nails.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I love how this thread goes meta every 3-4 pages, like clockwork.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Pagan posted:

I was very, very tempted to climb onto a nearby roof with a sniper rifle and take out some of the "loud pipes save lives" crowd.

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging - Will Rogers

Jesus, I know people are in character to some extent, but this jumping straight to the high powered weaponry seems to be a recurring theme here lately.

Might I suggest grabbing a cheap euro milsurp rifle and taking these frustrations out on a paper plate 1-200 yards downrange at your local gun club? Take a Sharpie and draw an HD bar and shield in the center if it makes you feel better. You'll likely find that a) open pipes are like Mantovani compared to being in a line of bolt of action rifles, and b) your paper plate remains unscathed because it's absolutely nothing like Call of Duty.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
At least my use of guns was both constructive and awesome :colbert: :v:

Just think of a automatic aimed at a 45 degree angle off the bike, taking out deer on the side of the road like it's nothing.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Lemme at them loud piper boys!!! Come any closer and imaa pop a cap in yo rear end!!! woooh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

KARMA! posted:

Lemme at them loud piper boys!!! Come any closer and imaa pop a cap in yo rear end!!! woooh

What the gently caress is that on her face?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's to block out the vision in her other eye so she can better focus on the target. Same deal with the goofy armature over her dominant eye -- it helps bring the eye, the rear sight, and the front sight into perfect alignment.

I would love to own a rifle like that. It would shoot better than I do forever.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I actually encountered rear braker cruisers on the street. It was weird to watch them brake until they got to 3mph and then use their feet as brakes against their heavyweights.

It looked loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Some overheard stupid motorcycle related poo poo:

:smuggo: I hate people who lane split. It's so dangerous and stupid!

:v: Just last weekend I split during a traffic jam and was generally safe about it. Cut my ride home in half compared to the people in cars.

:smuggo: If I ever see somebody lane split I'm going to yank my steering wheel and smack em with my mirror!

:v: If you think about it, I'm actually making your time stuck in traffic less by lane splitting and I don't do it over about 30mph.

...conversation continues...

:smuggo: You know California is the only state where splitting lanes is legal. loving Californians!

:v: It's not actually legal here. It's just not explicitly illegal and generally accepted. If you're doing it unsafely, you can still get pulled over.

:smuggo: No, it is legal. California made a law back sometime in the fifties because Harleys kept overheating during traffic jams.

EDIT: I'm bad at grammar.

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 4, 2012

• Locked thread