Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Was that a deliberate throwback to the early volumes of Berserk where Guts would fight a series of huge steroid guys, each one wearing armor the size of a Volkswagen? Because I have no problem with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I'm just happy that Miura chose to indulge his passion for balls-crazy armour designs. The arms of the suit worn by the lord's son is probably based on this real-life example. I'm not aware of any other manga artist who makes such an effort to research this kind of stuff*.

*Except the guy who does Vinland Saga.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

notZaar posted:

Well so much for the flashback theory. No more issues this summer. What a bunch of pointless filler.

How so? Wouldn't this just be the end of the flashback?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Rakugoon posted:

How so? Wouldn't this just be the end of the flashback?

It didn't really tie into anything though, it just ended inside the flashback. There's no lead in to the present to suggest that its being used as a plot bridge.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Guts can still just wake up the very first page of the next chapter. Honestly that seems the most natural way to do it? And the flashback is definitely over, Miura said so!

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011
Oh, I got my hopes up :/

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
She never made it to her home planet:smith:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That was a cool little side story I guess. Bummed that we won't get any more chapters this summer though. Miura needs to get an army of assistants as opposed to the 2 or 3 he currently has.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Centzon Totochtin posted:

She never made it to her home planet:smith:
At least she saved Guts at the last moment:unsmith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Viz announced the dubbing cast yesterday on their facebook page. Surprisingly they got back basically everyone from the original dub, even going so far as getting Sean Schemmel to voice all one or two of Gaston's lines. Wasn't it Schemmel who helped direct the dubbing of the original series?

The guys who voiced Zodd and Adon in the original dub were pretty entertaining, but I'm not sure how I feel about getting the exact cast back. Perhaps they've improved and with better direction it could turn out good, not unlike Funimation's work with DBZ Kai I guess. Have to wait and see I guess.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Awesome Welles posted:

Viz announced the dubbing cast yesterday on their facebook page. Surprisingly they got back basically everyone from the original dub, even going so far as getting Sean Schemmel to voice all one or two of Gaston's lines. Wasn't it Schemmel who helped direct the dubbing of the original series?

The guys who voiced Zodd and Adon in the original dub were pretty entertaining, but I'm not sure how I feel about getting the exact cast back. Perhaps they've improved and with better direction it could turn out good, not unlike Funimation's work with DBZ Kai I guess. Have to wait and see I guess.

I hope there will be outtakes for the movies too. :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sable Stormfront posted:

I hope there will be outtakes for the movies too. :allears:

Pretty much. I'm not even going to watch it dubbed, but more Griffith showtunes? Yes, please.

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun

notZaar posted:

Well so much for the flashback theory. No more issues this summer. What a bunch of pointless filler.

I was afraid he would go on vacation again.. ugh so no new chapter until October?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pretty much. I'm not even going to watch it dubbed, but more Griffith showtunes? Yes, please.

I actually think his rendition of "I Have Nothing" is better than the original.

lyricaldanichan posted:

I was afraid he would go on vacation again.. ugh so no new chapter until October?

gently caress. :(

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Where'd you get October? The chapter says the story will continue in fall, so that's September at the earliest.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I was being naiveoptomistic and just reading it as the flashback ending in fall, meaning a couple chapters until then but the content would be flashback :smith:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

notZaar posted:

It didn't really tie into anything though, it just ended inside the flashback. There's no lead in to the present to suggest that its being used as a plot bridge.

Except, you know the whole thing with the fairy, and what with going to Fairy Island. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a call back to that fairy when they reach their destination. Perhaps she was saved after all, or they will respect someone who has done so much for fairies as Guts has. It may well help them make an alliance, which is about the only way I can see our heroes standing up against what Griffith's got going on.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
He rolls with two in his party, I think they'll be cool with him when they see that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
He fights evil and is branded, I'm pretty sure they would be cool with him sans fairy friends too. The question is if they will let the boat in at all. For all we know, the fairies could be trying to hide from the world so they dont get hurt. Or what if the fairy king became a disciple!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What I'm saying is I highly doubt the little flower fairy is a one off. There are probably going to be ramifications from their involvement with each other. I'm thinking of the Fairy King being someone like Oberon and not easily impressed. Puck is a goofball, and that would leave Shilke's fairy (forget her name) to do the heavy negotiating. Guts's relationship with this little flower fairy may tip the scales.

I'm also curious why he was having relatively positive recollections of Gambino in that flashback. Gambino raised him, taught him how to survive, but also abused and mistreated him until Guts killed him. I wonder if that relationship is reflected in the bearded soldier--the man uses Guts to get an advantage, but in the end helps Guts survive against certain death.

The flashback's function may have been about a possible upcoming tonal shift and wanting to connect it to the larger narrative. If Fairy Land in general is more like Puck than not, things may be getting more upbeat. The flashback could be intended to tie the elements of hope and friendship with the larger theme of loss.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lotish posted:

What I'm saying is I highly doubt the little flower fairy is a one off. There are probably going to be ramifications from their involvement with each other. I'm thinking of the Fairy King being someone like Oberon and not easily impressed. Puck is a goofball, and that would leave Shilke's fairy (forget her name) to do the heavy negotiating. Guts's relationship with this little flower fairy may tip the scales.

Pretty sure Griffith's ongoing purge of anything magical that doesn't yield to him is going to be the main factor there. I have this weird feeling that even though he has his "kingdom", it won't be enough for him. Plus, I doubt all those apostles are going to be satisfied with just chilling out during "peace" time...

Beyond that, I don't think the spirit of that flower is a fairy in the same sense that Puck and Ivawhatever are. More like the salamanders on Isidro's knife or the sylphs in Serpico's gear. Not to say that the elf king won't be the king of all weird fantasy bug people, but still, it's a distinction that bears noting.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The Evil_Genius release of #330 probably qualifies as old hat by now, but at least it looks pretty good.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Beyond that, I don't think the spirit of that flower is a fairy in the same sense that Puck and Ivawhatever are. More like the salamanders on Isidro's knife or the sylphs in Serpico's gear. Not to say that the elf king won't be the king of all weird fantasy bug people, but still, it's a distinction that bears noting.
Chicchi explicitly introduces herself as a flower spirit (rather than a fairy), but didn't Puck call himself a spirit of the wind at some point or [am I misremembering / was he just talking out of his rear end]? Which would be different from the Sylphs. Who knows.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

LordMune posted:

The Evil_Genius release of #330 probably qualifies as old hat by now, but at least it looks pretty good.

Chicchi explicitly introduces herself as a flower spirit (rather than a fairy), but didn't Puck call himself a spirit of the wind at some point or [am I misremembering / was he just talking out of his rear end]? Which would be different from the Sylphs. Who knows.

It was Schierke who identified him as a wind spirit, but I don't quite understand if that means he's not actually a fairy? It's been a while since I read that part.
Also I hate that I caught up with the manga just now before the hiatus started. Goddammit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lotish posted:

I'm also curious why he was having relatively positive recollections of Gambino in that flashback. Gambino raised him, taught him how to survive, but also abused and mistreated him until Guts killed him. I wonder if that relationship is reflected in the bearded soldier--the man uses Guts to get an advantage, but in the end helps Guts survive against certain death.

Certainly, but I think it's also pretty strongly reflected in Griffith. Without Griffith, Guts wouldn't be going through all the awful poo poo he's spent the last few years going through, but it was also Griffith who gave him the chance to be something more than a wandering killer who didn't care if he lived or died.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
Guts has always liked Gambino. There's been a few instances where guts has had nightmares about killing him and even had a mini breakdown over it and almost choked Caska.

I guess Guts figured that even though he got treated like poo poo by Gambino, it was all to make Guts a better fighter.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Guts is confused about Gambino, really. I mean, he was basically his father. On the other hand, he treated him like a lot of poo poo, and ultimately betrayed the poo poo out of him. So Guts murdered him eventually in his rage. Still, he was his "father", and so it really haunts him even then.

Obviously Gambino had a lot of problems himself, and was even more hosed up after Guts' "mother" died and he started blaming Guts for it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just saw the first movie, it was fun I suppose, not anything amazing. They got Hirasawa do the music, which was great, the ost of the anime was one of the only reason to watch it. They should have maybe shown the Gambino stuff? I don't even remember when they first showed that in the manga so I'm not sure. Either way, I am pretty sure most people who watched this have seen the anime or read the manga so it doesn't matter.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Figma that will be bundled with volume 37. Yes, that's Cobra standing next ot him.

I skipped the first figma because I figured this would be coming eventually.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This is wonderful!

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Ulio posted:

Just saw the first movie, it was fun I suppose, not anything amazing. They got Hirasawa do the music, which was great, the ost of the anime was one of the only reason to watch it. They should have maybe shown the Gambino stuff? I don't even remember when they first showed that in the manga so I'm not sure. Either way, I am pretty sure most people who watched this have seen the anime or read the manga so it doesn't matter.

The movie attempts to cover like 50 chapters in a few hours, so important plot points and character development get stretched so thin that they're barely existent. It's more a compilation of highlights from the manga then a faithful adaption. It's a shame really, because you'd think that an awesome movie is exactly what would be needed to draw in new, more skeptical viewers to the franchise. But instead we get something that's made only for the fans. gently caress :effort:, because everyone has already read the manga, right?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So I know that new chapters won't be appearing until after summer, but where are the release dates of new chapters announced? Does the magazine serialising them give out a list of series featured in upcoming issues?

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

codeorange posted:

The movie attempts to cover like 50 chapters in a few hours, so important plot points and character development get stretched so thin that they're barely existent. It's more a compilation of highlights from the manga then a faithful adaption. It's a shame really, because you'd think that an awesome movie is exactly what would be needed to draw in new, more skeptical viewers to the franchise. But instead we get something that's made only for the fans. gently caress :effort:, because everyone has already read the manga, right?

Berserk deserves better then this garbage. :(

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

So I know that new chapters won't be appearing until after summer, but where are the release dates of new chapters announced? Does the magazine serialising them give out a list of series featured in upcoming issues?

It is usually announced in Young Animal the issue before.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

codeorange posted:

It's more a compilation of highlights from the manga then a faithful adaption.

Honestly, I think it's disingenuous to assume that a faithful or literal adaptation is required to bring in new fans.

I can only speak about the first movie, which was mostly alright outside of the CGI, but I think it's far from impossible to enjoy an abridged version of the story. Even if they're cutting and simplifying the material for the sake of not making each film run over three hours, that doesn't mean the result is incomprehensible or uninteresting (so far). You still have the basics of the Guts-Griffith-Casca interactions and a few genuinely well done moments like the assassination plus some medieval battles that are fun enough to watch.

I don't know how those unfamiliar with the property think, but most of the complaints have been from manga fans who feel like removing anything at all is inherently sinful and unforgivable. Losing some details and layers does make the product inferior, when compared to the original, but that's not necessarily useless as promotional material.

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 2, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The first movie wasn't that bad, but they're cutting way more character development than they are action, and from what I've heard the second movie goes even further in that direction. It definitely is a failing if they strip it down so far that you don't have any reason to care about the cast.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It definitely is a failing if they strip it down so far that you don't have any reason to care about the cast.

Of course, there'll probably be less investment in the cast, but going from "less" to "none" sounds like an exaggeration.

Can we really take that for granted without seeing it for ourselves though? There's been some conflicting reports about the second movie, with the most negative comments coming from people who already hated the first one, so I'm not going to assume too much on that count.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Enjoying the 2nd movie is going to be a case of enjoying it for seeing things animated. You are going to have to ignore and get over huge swathes of material cut out.

I haven't seen it, but I know what's gone. It's not exactly minor. I'm sure I'll enjoy the movie for entertainment value though, simply from seeing things like the 100 man slayer scene animated again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr. Deathy posted:

I'm sure I'll enjoy the movie for entertainment value though, simply from seeing things like the 100 man slayer scene animated again.

That's implying that it was animated the first time and not a bunch of panning over still shots.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Gackt posted:

I skipped the first figma because I figured this would be coming eventually.

Oh wow, look at that sculpted detail!

Even looks like the mouth plates move too.

I'm afraid to ask how much it's gonna' end up costing though...

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Lepecard posted:

I'm afraid to ask how much it's gonna' end up costing though...

Can't say for sure because there's never been a figma/manga bundle before, but the first Guts was about $45 including shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
It's crazy that Hellsing is able to justify being animated without leaving out anything, with excellent production and everything, while Berserk is forced to struggle with fitting four or five volumes of material into 75 minutes. Hellsing is a good manga and the OVAs are excellent, but Berserk deserves at least as much. And as far as I know the DVD sales for Hellsing have been awful.