Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
The big white bones sticking out of guards cut apart by gunfire are a thing of cheesy beauty, as well as the dual pistol reload animation at 1:08.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I still haven't played the original RoTT, but now I kind of feel like I should.

Is WinROTT still considered the best upgraded engine for it?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

quote:

Boom baby! All of the mad modes are back and have been completely re-invented! God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone's favorite, Dog mode! Taking down the Triads has never been so ridiculously fun.

Biting crotches, in glorious HD!

Gonna have to steal my roommate's computer from him.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I don't think there's much choice as source ports go. There's also a decent ZDoom sequel-mod-thing that captures the feel of it well.

And Wolfenstein 2009 was good, even if the multiplayer (apparently) stank.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Prenton posted:

And Wolfenstein 2009 was good, even if the multiplayer (apparently) stank.

Wolf09 kicked rear end, especially since it's one of the few FPSs in recent memory with actually fun weapons.

I could listen to the particle beam disintegrate nazis all day. :allears:

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Well that video has me sufficiently excited to blow peoples limbs off with a dinky little pistol. I like how the movement speed looks quick, and if theres tons of teleporters and bounce pads and other wacky poo poo from the original this is going to be pretty fun for a modern shooter.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Those images did not sell the game to me; generic blank faces, textures that looked like someone puked up a detail tool all over them, all over a drab grey castle environment?

Then I watched the trailer, and as soon as that metal version of Fastway started up the hairs on the back of my neck all stood up and suddenly all the memories of drunken missiles, flying bird-flipping arms, and trashcan robots all began to flood back into memory. If they can do something about the "generic" appearance of the game between now and release, I think we got a serious competitor to Serious Sam 3 here.

Also good to know that the Apogee revival didn't die with that Duke Nukem DS game. (please please please let this sell tons so we can get Alien Carnage remade as a sidescrolling action roguelike)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I have never played the original RotT. Now I feel that I absolutely must.

How is the GoG version?

EDIT: Also, thanks for explaining how ROR works. Had no idea there were so many different ways to do that.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 2, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ChickenHeart posted:

Then I watched the trailer, and as soon as that metal version of Fastway started up the hairs on the back of my neck all stood up...

Speaking of that, that music (and the original version you linked) sounds incredibly familiar (and kicks rear end). I never played RoTT, though, and the only other place I can think of that I might have heard it - Overclocked Remix - doesn't have any remixes based on RoTT.

Did this get used in any other games or something? Or did the composer work on another game I did play?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

ToxicFrog posted:

Speaking of that, that music (and the original version you linked) sounds incredibly familiar (and kicks rear end). I never played RoTT, though, and the only other place I can think of that I might have heard it - Overclocked Remix - doesn't have any remixes based on RoTT.

Did this get used in any other games or something? Or did the composer work on another game I did play?

It's been used in a ton of Doom and Duke3D user maps if you ever played many of them.

Also, RADAGIO.MID is best.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Prenton posted:

It's been used in a ton of Doom and Duke3D user maps if you ever played many of them.

I've played War of Attrition, which is basically The Best Of Duke3d User Maps + hilariously over the top weapons and enemies, so I could easily have run into it there.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm not 100% convinced I didn't sleep in until April 1st. This looks amazing.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Quakecon is live with a Carmack panel right now : http://www.own3d.tv/livepopout/quakecon_95671

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Delerion posted:

Quakecon is live with a Carmack panel right now : http://www.own3d.tv/livepopout/quakecon_95671

It's the LGS panel tomorrow afternoon I'm most looking forward to, pity I'll be on the road.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That RoTT remake looks fantastic but i hate all these comments saying that is like serious sam or duke nukem, drat kids that don't know who is the grandad! :corsair:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Delerion posted:

Carmack really seems to be contemplative right now, trying to reign back his graphical engineering tunnel vision and focus on faster development and better management. Looks like Bethesda management has really changed Id's focus.

Reive
May 21, 2009

After seeing that I want to play RoTT but I can't get either winrott or winrottgl to run.

Winrott doesn't give any errors but it simply doesn't do anything when I hit the run button, winrottgl says it can't find 'colors.ifo' which I suspect is supposed to be included in the dllpack but isn't.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Tezzeract posted:

Carmack really seems to be contemplative right now, trying to reign back his graphical engineering tunnel vision and focus on faster development and better management. Looks like Bethesda management has really changed Id's focus.

Yeah I don't feel like this is id's doing, it feels like Bethesda wasn't happy with how long Rage took and how much it made.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Reive posted:

After seeing that I want to play RoTT but I can't get either winrott or winrottgl to run.

Winrott doesn't give any errors but it simply doesn't do anything when I hit the run button, winrottgl says it can't find 'colors.ifo' which I suspect is supposed to be included in the dllpack but isn't.

colors.ifo is from the graphics pack, not the dllpack.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, motion sickness from that RoTT trailer. Gimme an FOV slider and the game will be one of the best shooters of the last 5 years, though, if the gameplay is anything to go by.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah I don't feel like this is id's doing, it feels like Bethesda wasn't happy with how long Rage took and how much it made.

Back in the day id made Doom II as a side project to keep people busy while they made Quake. Doing the same after Doom 3 would have been a logical step, I have no idea exactly why Rage took seven years to make :psyduck:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah wasn't Rage in development long before id was purchased?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Convex posted:

Back in the day id made Doom II as a side project to keep people busy while they made Quake. Doing the same after Doom 3 would have been a logical step, I have no idea exactly why Rage took seven years to make :psyduck:

Carmack seems to have admitted that pipeline issues, technology changes, simultaneous development for multiple platforms, difficulty in scaling the company all had a part to play.

Michael Pachter spoke about how it was a pretty big challenge in development for companies going from PS2/Xbox era to multicore consoles. Adding to that how perfectionist Id tries to be and it leads to a pretty really long dev process. Look at how Japanese game companies, dominant in the prior era of consoles, have only recently caught up techwise.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
The ROTT.net site mentions steam integration, I wonder if there'll be any promotional tf2 items for prepurchasing. The soldier could get an smg, heck, I would be over the moon if a few weapons just got reskins.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

QwertySanchez posted:

The ROTT.net site mentions steam integration, I wonder if there'll be any promotional tf2 items for prepurchasing. The soldier could get an smg, heck, I would be over the moon if a few weapons just got reskins.

Obviously the Scout could get a Sandman reskin.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Glad to see it'll be on Steam. A few years ago, one of the three of so guys left at 3DR made a pissy post on the 3DR forums about how Steam sucked, which I thought meant that there'd be no way future Apogee games would be on Steam.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

I still haven't played the original RoTT, but now I kind of feel like I should.

Is WinROTT still considered the best upgraded engine for it?

WinROTT is good for more features, although it's not too hard to get going in dosbox either. What's weird to me is that Rise of the Triad, the creatively named linux port is in the main ubuntu repository so it's always a software center away. There's a ZDOOM TC in the works too at http://www.moddb.com/mods/return-of-the-triad.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I hope that GOG puts the original RotT on sale one of these weekends so us unlucky souls who haven't played it yet can experience it before the remake lands in many Steam libraries. I know $6 isn't a lot of money and it's probably more than worth it, but I'm very frugle and $3 is a big difference for me. :shobon:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Has John Carmack's QuakeCon keynote been archived yet?
I need to hear that man speak. :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the Steam thread: a ROTT interview with Frederik Schreiber. Some key points:

• Game has been in development for just six months so far
  • Single player campaign is 20 levels with four bosses, all of which return from the original (it's a reboot!)
  • VERY score-attack oriented - killing lots of enemies with the one weapon earns multipliers, but you also get bonus points from secret areas. Speedrun or poke around?
  • Global leaderboards for scores and stats.
  • No co-op because it would have delayed the project, they definitely want to add additional multiplayer stuff in free updates so...
  • Multiplayer is very fast and Q3A-ish. Don't expect comp-level balance, they're going for "chaotic fun".
  • Quakecon floor demo is 3v3, final version will support 32 players.
  • Roughly 55% complete, release date later this year, with plans for long-term support
  • $15 price tag

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

I saw there was a Triad pack for TF2 announced today, turns out it was for promoting that new Capcom game :arghfist:

The Steam integration looks great though, they're using the Workshop to distribute mods and player created levels.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

The Kins posted:

From the Steam thread: a ROTT interview with Frederik Schreiber. Some key points:
  • $15 price tag
Wow... I was expecting $40-50, but $15 seems like a good price point. The lack of co-op does suck, but I hope it does get added in later since this game looks like it would be awesome in co-op.

I just hope the multiplayer ends up being fun enough to keep a crowd going for a while, although them admitting that it won't be catered towards the competitive crowd who wants a really balanced game worries me since that's what keeps a lot of multiplayer FPSes going.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

This is loving fantastic. My childhood. :toot: Now, where are my Shadow Warrior and BLOOD reboots?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Obeast posted:

I just hope the multiplayer ends up being fun enough to keep a crowd going for a while, although them admitting that it won't be catered towards the competitive crowd who wants a really balanced game worries me since that's what keeps a lot of multiplayer FPSes going.

The competitive crowd are astoundingly fickle, and it takes literally years of testing and refinement to keep them happy. They're the reason why most new shooters have completely dead multiplayer within a week.

For a $15 game, it's just not worth even trying.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Shame about the co-op, but considering the engine it's on, it coming with an editor, and it already having multiplayer modes, I'm sure fans could cook up a co-op mode soon enough if they don't.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

The Kins posted:

• Game has been in development for just six months so far
  • Single player campaign is 20 levels with four bosses, all of which return from the original (it's a reboot!)
  • VERY score-attack oriented - killing lots of enemies with the one weapon earns multipliers, but you also get bonus points from secret areas. Speedrun or poke around?
  • Global leaderboards for scores and stats.
  • No co-op because it would have delayed the project, they definitely want to add additional multiplayer stuff in free updates so...
  • Multiplayer is very fast and Q3A-ish. Don't expect comp-level balance, they're going for "chaotic fun".
  • Quakecon floor demo is 3v3, final version will support 32 players.
  • Roughly 55% complete, release date later this year, with plans for long-term support
  • $15 price tag

Hmmm. How many levels were ROTT? It was deffo more than 20.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Now that I think about it I never actually beat RoTT. I mostly just jumped in and hosed around.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Hmmm. How many levels were ROTT? It was deffo more than 20.
8 + 2 cheat-only in the shareware level set, 34 + 3 cheat-only in the registered version set.

Of course, not all of those were all that great.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Yodzilla posted:

Now that I think about it I never actually beat RoTT. I mostly just jumped in and hosed around.
11-year-old me got more mileage from spamming the wall-of-flame gun everywhere than anything else, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'd imagine the amount of effort that goes into actually making a level is slightly higher once you throw non-90 degree angles and semi-realistic 3D models into the mix. Not that simply judging by level count is a good measure anyways.