Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Pizzeria Paradiso's draft lineup is pretty badass right now. I had a training in DC and went to happy hour there twice over the past couple days:

Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin on cask: Yup, not Velvet Merlin, but the bourbon barrel aged one, and it was out of a hand pulled cask. I could drink a gallon of this sweet, sweet oatmeal nectar :allears: Thin body, and oh so smooth and easy to sip. It has a balance between roasted cocoa, vanilla, and bourbon notes, with non being overpowering.

To-Ol/Mikkeller Ov-Ral IPA: Instantly placed in my top 10 favorite beers. One of the best IPA's I've ever had. Very interesting with so much going on. The smell is really funky. You get crisp, citrus, piny hops, all the typical IIPA characteristics and then you get hot-tart and other Brett characteristics. Finish is dry and fruity, reminding me of how a gueuze would. I am at a loss at how to make any comparison and I can't think of anything else that is similar.

e: Almost forgot, and I'd like to hear some input.
Churchkey had Cantillon Rose De Gambrinus on draft the other day. 4 oz pour $7.50, 10 oz glass $15. Would anyone here have paid up? To me, that's pretty drat ridiculous.

air- fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So is Ticketmaster still hosed up or did GABF really sell out in 5 minutes?

Edit: Welp, got two tickets for the Saturday session which was my last choice. Right at noon it told me no tickets available for the Friday or Thursday sessions. Crazy.

Edit 2: Jesus christ its now completely sold out. :stare:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 2, 2012

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If I have unfiltered beer, is it better to store it standing up like regular other bottled beer or on its side? I've heard people say both. I had a six pack of Bells Oberon someone at work gave me for doing some extra stuff for them and I stored them standing up and all the sediment was at the bottom.

For beer talk, my dad came to visit and gave me a 12 pack of.....Blue Moon. "I know you like that fancy beer and not Bud Light so I thought I'd get something you would enjoy!" :v: still was nice that he cared enough to pick something up for me.

I'm going to visit the Two Brothers brewery in a few weekends, I'll be sure to take some pictures for you all. I'm also hoping to make it to Half Acre before the year is over.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I've read that you want to store bottles upright. Horizontal creates more surface area and therefore has greater potential for oxidation. It's probably a pretty minor difference, though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sirotan posted:

So is Ticketmaster still hosed up or did GABF really sell out in 5 minutes?

Edit: Welp, got two tickets for the Saturday session which was my last choice. Right at noon it told me no tickets available for the Friday or Thursday sessions. Crazy.

Edit 2: Jesus christ its now completely sold out. :stare:

Was trying to buy tickets at 10am and I didn't get any at all. Seriously, was trying from 10:00 to about 10:20 and couldn't get any. Pretty pissed, because I actually live in Denver and there's no way I'm paying $150 for a ticket.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

We can all just meet at the Star Bar instead, the crowd's cooler there anyway :v:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I feel pretty fortunate to have gotten tickets I guess. Confirmed sold out in under 45 minutes, probably much less. That is just insane. People are already reporting hundreds of tickets for sale on sites like StubHub at >100% markups, hopefully that isn't too widespread. Craft beer is obviously very popular but ~40,000 pretty expensive tickets selling out in half an hour does strike me as fishy. As recently as a year or two ago it took days to weeks.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Docjowles posted:

I feel pretty fortunate to have gotten tickets I guess. Confirmed sold out in under 45 minutes, probably much less. That is just insane. People are already reporting hundreds of tickets for sale on sites like StubHub at >100% markups, hopefully that isn't too widespread. Craft beer is obviously very popular but ~40,000 pretty expensive tickets selling out in half an hour does strike me as fishy. As recently as a year or two ago it took days to weeks.

I expected them to be gone in an hour, but it was extremely spotty with ticketmaster. Reports of 10 people in an office buying at the same time, only 1 got tickets. I think I'm lucky to be in Denver where I might score some affordable tix via CL, but what a mess.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Extreme Beerfest was the same way. In 2011 I got my ticket three days after they went on sale. VIP tickets sold out after two days, regular ones took I think a week. This year, VIP was gone after 30 seconds, regular maybe an hour.

Beer festivals are becoming really popular, especially the best ones. It's weird that it happened so quickly, but I think that's a good sign for the industry in general.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
45 min sellout? jesus christ, was there no ticket limit? Not even Phish sells out that fast.

All attendees: I recommend getting in line extremely early. The last time I went, I was in line for at least an hour after they opened the doors.

-------

Trying a new beer tonight: Joseph James Brewing Hop Box DIPA. Anyone had it?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They need a GABF2 electric boogalo but I wonder if there'd be enough brewer support for another event.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Dang.

I just cracked a Hitachino 3 days that hast been cellaring at my job for the last 6mo or so, and it's a radically different beer than it was when it was younger. Last time, I couldn't tell what the base beer was, and it had a very clearly "infected" note around the mid palate, but now it tastes like a big, bold beer, tasting little like the white beer I assume it started as. Also it clocks in at 8% and drinks like a barleywine. Considering I've been kind of sober since I was in New Orleans, this was a hell of an afternoon surprise.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
GABF fiasco made it onto the consumerist

http://consumerist.com/2012/08/great-american-beer-festival-turning-into-great-american-pr-disaster-for-ticketmaster.html

This guy really has only himself to blame, though:

quote:

Adds another, "Well now I guess I need to buy scalped tickets, since I already have plane and hotel booked..."

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CalvinDooglas posted:

Trying a new beer tonight: Joseph James Brewing Hop Box DIPA. Anyone had it?
They're my local brewery, I know the owner and head brewer. It's a pretty cool little brewery. They had a pro-am competition last year with the local homebrewers' group, and the winner got to brew a single-run batch of beer for JJ to sell.

While Hop Box isn't terrible, IPAs aren't really their strong point - it's too malty without enough interesting hop character for me, and a bit thin for something that tries to be so big. Hopefully you liked it better than I do. Once in a while they do a batch of Hop Box with habaneros, and the chile addition makes it very, very good. They just brewed another batch like that, using 600 habaneros instead of 400 like last batch, and I can't wait to try it.

Aside from habanero Hop Box (which is keg-only and I think consumed locally), the best JJ beers are their stouts. Red Fox, their regular release, has good mouthfeel - thicker than a Guinness clone but not as thick as crazy-malty American stuff. They did a bourbon barrel aged IRS that managed to be more oaky than bourbony and was overall very good. They also just finished brewing a German chocolate cake stout, which should be fantastic if the test batch they did last year is anything to go by.

If you can find their root beer, Joe's Root Beer, get it. It's on the sweet end of the spectrum, but turns into ambrosia with the addition of some Jagermeister.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

air- posted:

Churchkey had Cantillon Rose De Gambrinus on draft the other day. 4 oz pour $7.50, 10 oz glass $15. Would anyone here have paid up? To me, that's pretty drat ridiculous.

I would have bought a 10 oz pour. I think 3,75s of Rose go for somewhere around $10-$12 so the mark up is a lot, but also fairly typical. I think it'd be worth it to try it on draft too. I love that beer. Prefer it over the kriek for sure.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Had some hype beers at the bar last night, being East Coast these are almost impossible to find:

Mo' Betta Bretta: Good, but couldn't fully get behind this being great. Balanced with sour, and a nice dry mouth pucker finish. If I see a bottle I'd like to grab it to age and see if the Bret comes out more.

Port Anniversary: Great, the after flavor almost had a twist ending to it where the flavor calmned down on the tongue then burst out again with a rich coffee/porter type note out of no where.

Did a side by side of Lost Abbey Angel's Share and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout both on tap. The Angel share was almost like a bourbon cordial that lost the beer, whereas the Goose Island was like an amazing stout/bourbon boiler maker where the sum was greater than the parts.

In other news, I saw a 750 of Frangelic Mountain Brown on the shelf for $22. Not wanting to try the hype that much.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sublimer posted:

I would have bought a 10 oz pour. I think 3,75s of Rose go for somewhere around $10-$12 so the mark up is a lot, but also fairly typical. I think it'd be worth it to try it on draft too. I love that beer. Prefer it over the kriek for sure.

Same here. I was able to get one 375 the last time they were released, and it ran me around $12. Cantillon kegs are stupendously rare, so I'm not surprised at the price for a 10 ounce pour.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
awesome poo poo courtesy of Sublimer (miserable pic but you get the idea)

3f Blackbeard and Brian Boru, Cantillon de Rose, Hoppin Frog DORIS, and a bourbon barrel ale I've never heard of, but I am assured it's good! I'm a sucker for bourbon barreled stuff anyway.

Probably cracking the Blackbeard first

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 3, 2012

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Jahoodie posted:

In other news, I saw a 750 of Frangelic Mountain Brown on the shelf for $22. Not wanting to try the hype that much.

What hype? It sat around here in Chicago, which is saying something. It also sucks.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Happy IPA day everyone! I got a nice Revolution Anti-Hero, its great that Rev is distributing around the city. I'm close to the pub but getting to walk across the street to a bar and get their stuff on tap is glorious.

Also I tried the Piece anniversary beer It Goes To Eleven, didn't mind it. Seemed to attempt to blend citrus-y hops with a lot of spicy/floral/earthy hops to mild success. Probably would have wished for something a bit more unique for an anniversary beer, but whatevs.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ah, IPA day. Must be why Untappd has completely poo poo itself.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Trying to decide right now if I wanna drink an IPA despite just starting to get over being sick as hell.

Help you guys I think I have a badge addiction. :(

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nuncle jimbo posted:

and a bourbon barrel ale I've never heard of, but I am assured it's good! I'm a sucker for bourbon barreled stuff anyway.

Not to poo poo on your parade, but Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is one of the worst beers I've ever had...

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

nuncle jimbo posted:

3f Blackbeard and Brian Boru, Cantillon de Rose, Hoppin Frog DORIS, and a bourbon barrel ale I've never heard of, but I am assured it's good! I'm a sucker for bourbon barreled stuff anyway.

pretty certain it's blackheard not blackbeard.

edit: it's also really good if you enjoy english style IPA's

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sirotan posted:

Trying to decide right now if I wanna drink an IPA despite just starting to get over being sick as hell.

Doctors just tell you to drink more fluids so I think you were in the clear even when sick.

Some pedants might argue beer isn't great for hydration because of a diuretic effect of alcohol. They just don't understand you can just obviously drink more beer.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Precisely why beer is the ideal post-workout drink.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

kcncuda71 posted:

pretty certain it's blackheard not blackbeard.

Pretty certain it's Blackheart, not Blackheard (or Blackbeard)...

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Hops are medicinal, grab some Hop Stoopid and it will clear you right up!

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

danbanana posted:

yea, I posted that right after running and trying to type something out while staring at the bottle didn't work out too well.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Had some New England Brewing Company Fuzzy Little Ducks tonight. I'm not sure how far this makes it out of New Haven, but it was pretty great. Not so great that it should be disappearing from the bars as quickly as it is, but still great.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

Wow, when I lived in Denver they would distribute a certain amount of tickets to larger liquor stores. I can't even imagine how much money some of the scalpers are going to be making.

I just checked and Boston's Belgian Beer Festival still has tickets. I've never been to it before, I don't know how big it is. The American Craft Beer Festival sold out for the Saturday sessions, but not particularly quickly.

I'm going back home to DE for a few days next week, which means that I'll have to hit up Dogfish Head. The only thing I know for certain I'll be getting is their outstanding brown honey rum. I haven't tried any of their new stuff recently. If any of you find yourself in the area, though, the brewpub is worth a visit. As an added bonus you can watch beer nerds absolutely freak out about the place and take pictures of the taps while bored locals stare at them.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Jenkin posted:

I'm going back home to DE for a few days next week, which means that I'll have to hit up Dogfish Head. The only thing I know for certain I'll be getting is their outstanding brown honey rum. I haven't tried any of their new stuff recently. If any of you find yourself in the area, though, the brewpub is worth a visit. As an added bonus you can watch beer nerds absolutely freak out about the place and take pictures of the taps while bored locals stare at them.
Hahahaha, I live 15 minutes from the pub and this is spot on.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jenkin posted:

Positive Contact was really disappointing, it was really a bog-standard witbier with some amped up alcohol presence and a touch of fruitiness at the start.

I did really like Noble Rot though, if that's around I'd give that a try.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

nuncle jimbo posted:

Hey you forgot to include the stickers and buttons I put in that box!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

danbanana posted:

Not to poo poo on your parade, but Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is one of the worst beers I've ever had...

I bought a 4 pack thinking it was something else, I had one and it wasn't very good at all. I have 3 more that I'll hope get better with age.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

What hype? It sat around here in Chicago, which is saying something. It also sucks.

This. It only had "hype" in the first place because it was in the Founders backstage series and the first three entries in said series were among their best stuff.

danbanana posted:

That it is. Blackheart is also a pretty solid beer. I would have liked to try it slightly fresher, but unlike your typical west coast IPA, this one could tolerate being slightly less than fresh.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I liked Frangelic Mountain Brown.

I do not like the Weyerbacher Last Chance IPA I'm drinking now though. It tastes like water with a strong grapefruit mid-taste. Weyerbacher is really hit or miss and I've noticed that a lot of their beer has a rough edge to it.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Midorka posted:

I bought a 4 pack thinking it was something else, I had one and it wasn't very good at all. I have 3 more that I'll hope get better with age.

If you didn't like it the first time I doubt age will improve it. It's nothing special but I don't think its too bad. It's basically the only KY beer I don't feel bad including in a box.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Sublimer posted:

If you didn't like it the first time I doubt age will improve it. It's nothing special but I don't think its too bad. It's basically the only KY beer I don't feel bad including in a box.

I'm really only aging it because I have too much beer to go through before it. I still have some Duck-Rabbit from a variety case I bought over a month ago. I buy too many variety packs and it leaves a lot of extra beer I take too long to get around to, it's a problem.

I'm actually drinking the Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout now and it's just barely edged out by Left Hand's. I can't see the style getting better than Left Hand's version.

Edit: I don't mean the first point to sound like I'm bragging or whatever, I just am an impulse buyer and anything I've heard good things about I wind up buying a single of since the place near me puts everything on the single rack.

Also Ballast Point's Dorado is a pretty decent IIPA. The sweet malt presence balances well, lot's of tropical hop flavors and aroma's I was expecting with a nice grapefruit bite to balance this. I loving love those tropical notes that remind me of mango and pineapple and I wish more East-coast breweries used whatever hop(s) that contribute that because none that I can think of do and most West-coast ones are a bit sparce here.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Wow I can not believe tickets sold out this fast for GABF. I have not been since 2007. Also same type of thing happened on the brewer side. The registration for the fest filled up so fast that I know many breweries who could not enter this year. Duck-Rabbit has been entering beer for the past 8 or 9 years and they got shut out of the registration this year.