Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

pnumoman posted:

Hooooly poo poo, can someone please confirm my suspicions that Kairobotica is as good as it seems like?

Only like two years in so far but it's great. Pretty much like the comments in the market say it's what Epic Astro Story should have been in a way. I'm wary of late game combat being really stupid like the other combat capable Kairosoft games but I'm optimistic and having fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I've been checking out a platformer called Megatroid. As the name suggests it takes its inspiration from Megaman and Metroid (its not a Metroidvania game though), and has procedurally generated levels. Its pretty fun, though it tends to sometimes crash on startup on my Gnex.

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully
:rice:

Yay! 2 hours worth of wages to Kairosoft!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Anyone have feedback on 9 Innings Pro Baseball 2013 ? I played 2011 on my ipod a lot, it was a solid game, I'm just afraid this one will suffer since its free. Also SNK recently(?) released Metal Slug 3 and Blazing Star, anyone try these out?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I think its a pretty good port. The touchscreen controls are decent and you can move the buttons around, and there's some extra options like a mission select, the ability to have the game run in 16x9 or original, and Bluetooth multiplayer. It runs really well on the Gnex, with only the very occasional bits of slowdown happening.

At $7.50 I do think its somewhat overpriced though, especially for such a short game. I bought it using my Nexus 7 money but if I didn't have that I would have probably given the game a pass.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 3, 2012

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

traslin posted:

A new Kairosoft game was just released - Kairobotica. It appears to have new RPG elements and Pokemon style capture system. I think they have finally released the game that will get me back on the Kairosoft bandwagon.

Can we just have a dedicated Kairosoft thread at this point?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

mrkillboy posted:

I think its a pretty good port. The touchscreen controls are decent and you can move the buttons around, and there's some extra options like a mission select, the ability to have the game run in 16x9 or original, and Bluetooth multiplayer. It runs really well on the Gnex, with only the very occasional bits of slowdown happening.

At $7.50 I do think its somewhat overpriced though, especially for such a short game. I bought it using my Nexus 7 money but if I didn't have that I would have probably given the game a pass.

Not bad. I agree on the price, but I may buy it just to support SNK. I had a NeoGeoPocket Color as a kid...

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

FastestGunAlive posted:

Anyone have feedback on 9 Innings Pro Baseball 2013 ? I played 2011 on my ipod a lot, it was a solid game, I'm just afraid this one will suffer since its free. Also SNK recently(?) released Metal Slug 3 and Blazing Star, anyone try these out?

Is it for sure from SNK? Cause I've noticed some (what I presume are) knockoffs from "LeTang Inc" or something which I assume its some chinese knockoff that have yet to be taken down. They have Metal Slug and R-Type and some other stuff up.

Legit Metal Slug would be awesome, I love Metal Slug

edit: also now that it's been mentioned, im gonna try megatroid but can anyone recommend any good metroidvania style games?

Bulging Nipples fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 3, 2012

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...2VvLm1zbHVnMyJd

Here's a SNK Metal Slug.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Real Racing 2 is on sale for 99 cents (down from $5). I think its a steal at this price, and if you like racing games you should definitely give it a shot.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

cash posted:

You make $2.50 an hour?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How do you get the new course in Ski Safari?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

Tap the sign to the left of the cabin in the main menu.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

cash posted:

I'm hoping by "to Kairosoft" you mean buying their whole catalogue, rather than just one game.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Chas McGill posted:

I'm hoping by "to Kairosoft" you mean buying their whole catalogue, rather than just one game.

Or he's spent two hours of work to buy Kairosoft.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Anyone else having issues with Ski Safari not starting after the update ?

I'm getting a force close whenever I try start it on my Gnex (running JB), If I un install it and reinstall will i lose my progress ?

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully
:rice:

Tagichatn posted:

You make $2.50 an hour?

Chas McGill posted:

Healbot posted:

Or he's spent two hours of work to buy Kairosoft.

I've a third world job in a third world country. An hour of flippin burgers at McD's will nett you about less than 3 US dollars

No, in all seriousness I spent 2 hours of overtime playing Kairobotica.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Junkenstein posted:

It unlocks once you reach the Eagle Wings rank.

Sendo posted:

I'm getting a force close whenever I try start it on my Gnex (running JB), If I un install it and reinstall will i lose my progress ?
Yes. You could try restarting your phone and see if that helps; I've found that some apps I've installed on mine become more stable after a reboot.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of which, Sky Safari doesn't run at all on my GNex, it just Force Closes immediately since I applied the update. Tried clearing data and reinstalling. It's running nicely on my N7 though. Anyone else have that problem? I reported it to the dev.

I'm dumb:

Sendo posted:

Yeah, this is what I have. I tried clearing data (backed up with TB first) and it still wouldn't load. I also tried reinstalling (which, yes, will lose your data). So I don't think there is a solution right now.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
God that's annoying. I experienced it the day it happened and reported it, so hopefully they're working on a fix.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Droid towers is back on the market folks

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So I downloaded 9 Innings Pro 2013 because I played the poo poo out of 2011, but when I try to open it I get a message saying "This phone is rooted, please unroot and try again." Then the app closes.

Is this a thing now? Never seen that before.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's certainly a thing, for example Netflix HD won't even open on a rooted device, but it's a pretty dick thing that's not common. Write a complaint, there's no good reason for the devs to be doing it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Is it supposed to be some kind of anti-piracy measure? If so, somebody should tell them that when someone does some quick searching on Google to find out why that's happening, many of the results are cracked APKs that work on rooted phones. Well done fellas.

It's almost as if poorly thought-out DRM is more effective at driving people to piracy than it is at preserving sales.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 3, 2012

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Drifter287 posted:

Is it supposed to be some kind of anti-piracy measure? If so, somebody should tell them that when someone does some quick searching on Google to find out why that's happening, many of the results are cracked APKs that work on rooted phones.

It's almost as if poorly thought-out DRM is more effective at driving people to piracy than it is at preserving sales.
Usually it's (misguided) anti-cheating, I assume it has in-app purchases?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah it does, and I understand trying to protect those. But if you bar rooted users from playing the game legitimately, you've ensured that you aren't getting their money. Nobody's going to unroot their phone to play a 16 bit baseball game on the shitter.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What does upgrading to droid towers unlimited get you? I couldn't find any indication.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Kairobotica:siren:

This game has a SERIOUS memory leak. After two hours of play memory usage of the game has increased from ~40MB to over 300MB.

Every time you finish a patrol is when the leak happens. It is the fade out and in screen causing it. Every patrol increases memory usage by 10-20MB.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 3, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Good thing the S3 has 2 gigs of RAM then. :smuggo:

T00kus
May 25, 2010

yobbing in a strange land..
When I play as a different character in the new slope in Ski Safari, it updates all the achievements to reflect that skin and slope, but I can't get the achievements back when I go back to the other slope. Any way around this?

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Good thing the S3 has 2 gigs of RAM then. :smuggo:

Depending on what continent you're on.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
There are apps that will back up your root privileges and temporarily unroot your phone. I use one to watch my UV movies on Flixster.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

illicitporpoises posted:

Depending on what continent you're on.

drat, I forgot about that. Sorry! :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SlayVus posted:

This game has a SERIOUS memory leak. After two hours of play memory usage of the game has increased from ~40MB to over 300MB.

That's a feature, it's there to remind you "Hey dummy, you've been playing with your little robot army for TWO loving HOURS already and have missed ten calls".

Hopefully they fix it soon because the Fun and Cute levels of this one are through the roof. I never thought I'd see turn-based combat in a Kairogame, now I want a Dungeon Village 2 or whatever with that feature.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Kairobotica Tips

Orange background items are best used on Homes(Compat. Good) | These items are researched into gift shop items

Blue background items are best used on Factories(Compat. Good) | These items are researched into gift shop items

Green background items are best used on Farms(Compat. Good) | These items are researched into creature capturing items. Animal Traps, Animal Snares, Monster Trap, Kairo Ball(From Least to Greatest)

Gold background items are used as items for Researching Power Allies. Research Power Allies first before using these items on buildings. All Gold background items have Compat. Good(Aka Best) with ALL building types.

Once you've used an item on a building 4 times, you get little or no gains for any uses past that.

Kairo Ninja is very powerful once leveled past 10. At 30 he is extremely powerful, 7 attacks at 500+ damage each to random rows of enemies.

Kairo Tank at level 30 deals 1000~1300 damage to all enemy rows. Not as useful as Ninja when there is only one row.

Kairo Driller is very powerful as well. Attacks one row of enemies three times at level 10 for ~100 damage an attack. At level 30 I would assume it would be just as powerful as a Kairo Ninja.

Having more than one of the same Power Ally has no affect as you can only use one of them on a patrol.
Power Allies gain 1 Experience for every fight you finish. More enemies will not provide more XP for Power Allies. I suggest going to Earth and doing the Free patrol to level Power Allies.
If a Power Ally losses gas during a patrol, you can resummon it. Summoning Power Allies while on a patrol costs Info Points. Power Allies that you bring with you at the start of a patrol cost no Info Points.
Some Power Allies cost less to Resummon than to refuel them during a patrol.

Edit: Added additional information on item research for specific item backgrounds.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 4, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
How do you research? Is it something you can't do right away?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You unlock a research lab on like the second planet or so.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Cross-posting from the App thread where LastInLine noticed that the latest Angry Birds (ad-free) update on Amazon is being weird and says it has to uninstall before applying the update.

I posted:

OK, I checked into this, something weird is going on. The old version I have is 2.1.1, the new version is 2.2.0. AFAIK Surf 'n' Turf is still the latest chapter although they may have added more levels.

But yes, updating Angry Birds on Amazon does a complete uninstall and clears app data. :siren:You lose all stars!:siren:

As for why, the package name is the same, but the certificate is messed up. 2.1.1 uses the Rovio certificate (ROVIOKEY.RSA: Subject: C=FI, L=Helsinki, O=Rovio Mobile Ltd) that's the same as all past versions. 2.2.0 uses a bullshit certificate (APKSIGNE.RSA: Subject: CN=Wilson Matthew). Since the two certificates don't match, the Appstore forces an uninstall, although Android won't allow the update without doing that.

Apparently Matthew Wilson is the Marketing Manager for Rovio. Either someone hosed up and released a beta/RC build without resigning it, or he hosed up his keychain, or something. But this looks like a mistake, and it's one that's going to eat them in negative reviews as folks will be pissed that they lost their stars upon updating.

Edit: If you backup the app data with TiB and restore it after updating, it should work. I did the manual equivalent and the star data preserved just fine. But since this is pretty clearly a mistake it's probably easier just to wait.

Edit: Angry Birds Space (for the other idiot who, like me, bought it off Amazon) has the same problem.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 4, 2012

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

If anyone is looking for a multiplayer game on their Android, it's definitely worth noting this has bluetooth co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

E:nm

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 4, 2012

• Locked thread