Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Android booze apps: Any bartending app that lets you plug in ingredients and spits out recipe possibilities? Kind of like Google recipe search but for alcoholics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

AnimalChin posted:

Evernote?

Swiftkey is the best keyboard.

Cool.

And I have no idea how to swap keyboards. Gonna be a while before I'm used to all this customization after being on iOS the past two years on my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I use Notes on my iPhone all the time-- what's the defacto note taking app for Android tablets?

I know you guys probably get that question a lot, but I didn't see it in the OP, and I just got my first Android device (Nexus 7) this afternoon.

Also, I have about $22 from my purchase of the tablet left in my Google Play account (the only thing I've bought so far is BeWeather). Anything I should grab utility wise that costs money?
If you plan on rooting then Titanium Backup is pretty nice.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

I use Notes on my iPhone all the time-- what's the defacto note taking app for Android tablets?

I know you guys probably get that question a lot, but I didn't see it in the OP, and I just got my first Android device (Nexus 7) this afternoon.

Also, I have about $22 from my purchase of the tablet left in my Google Play account (the only thing I've bought so far is BeWeather). Anything I should grab utility wise that costs money?

I like GNotes because it syncs with my GMail account, and the less accounts I have on my phone, the better.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Angry Birds (ad-free) on Amazon weirdness.
OK, I checked into this, something weird is going on. The old version I have is 2.1.1, the new version is 2.2.0. AFAIK Surf 'n' Turf is still the latest chapter although they may have added more levels.

But yes, updating Angry Birds on Amazon does a complete uninstall and clears app data. :siren:You lose all stars!:siren:

As for why, the package name is the same, but the certificate is messed up. 2.1.1 uses the Rovio certificate (ROVIOKEY.RSA: Subject: C=FI, L=Helsinki, O=Rovio Mobile Ltd) that's the same as all past versions. 2.2.0 uses a bullshit certificate (APKSIGNE.RSA: Subject: CN=Wilson Matthew). Since the two certificates don't match, the Appstore forces an uninstall, although Android won't allow the update without doing that.

Apparently Matthew Wilson is the Marketing Manager for Rovio. Either someone hosed up and released a beta/RC build without resigning it, or he hosed up his keychain, or something. But this looks like a mistake, and it's one that's going to eat them in negative reviews as folks will be pissed that they lost their stars upon updating.

Edit: If you backup the app data with TiB and restore it after updating, it should work. I did the manual equivalent and the star data preserved just fine. But since this is pretty clearly a mistake it's probably easier just to wait.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

OK, I checked into this, something weird is going on. The old version I have is 2.1.1, the new version is 2.2.0. AFAIK Surf 'n' Turf is still the latest chapter although they may have added more levels.

But yes, updating Angry Birds on Amazon does a complete uninstall and clears app data. :siren:You lose all stars!:siren:

As for why, the package name is the same, but the certificate is messed up. 2.1.1 uses the Rovio certificate (ROVIOKEY.RSA: Subject: C=FI, L=Helsinki, O=Rovio Mobile Ltd) that's the same as all past versions. 2.2.0 uses a bullshit certificate (APKSIGNE.RSA: Subject: CN=Wilson Matthew). Since the two certificates don't match, the Appstore forces an uninstall, although Android won't allow the update without doing that.

Apparently Matthew Wilson is the Marketing Manager for Rovio. Either someone hosed up and released a beta/RC build without resigning it, or he hosed up his keychain, or something. But this looks like a mistake, and it's one that's going to eat them in negative reviews as folks will be pissed that they lost their stars upon updating.

Edit: If you backup the app data with TiB and restore it after updating, it should work. I did the manual equivalent and the star data preserved just fine. But since this is pretty clearly a mistake it's probably easier just to wait.
Thanks. I have 100% stars so I figured I'd hold off. I'm assuming you contacted Rovio about it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

feedmyleg posted:

Android booze apps: Any bartending app that lets you plug in ingredients and spits out recipe possibilities? Kind of like Google recipe search but for alcoholics.

I use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digitaloutcrop.mixology

Be warned its an incredibly sloppy iOS UI port with ads

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I'm assuming you contacted Rovio about it?
I poked the feedback thing on Amazon to have them yoink the update, who knows if they will.

I assume Rovio is piss drunk at Assembly right now. Actually I should be piss drunk at Assembly right now. :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LastInLine posted:

Android Pro Widgets looks and functions identically to the LP widgets I used, maybe they're close enough to the Go ones?

I love APW, I actually prefer it to the Go Widgets.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Soul Glo posted:

Get Tasker. It allows for so many tweaks and automatic settings changes. Well worth the price.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know of a proper video editing app I can use on my phone? I tried the default ICS one and to say it is "severely lacking" would be an offense to programs that actually ARE severely lacking.

I don't even know why it was added, really. All it seems to do is remove frames and...that's it.

I'm looking for something that can stretch the video for the camera out to 16:9.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Where is the Google Wallet app in the play store? I can't find it in the first few pages. I know the search function of the play store sucks, but does it really suck this much?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel&hl=en

If you can't find it searching on your device, it's probably because it's not available on your Device/Network. I can install it onto my T-Mobile SGS3 by using the web store (where it says compatible), but when I launch the app it just says it's not available for my device/network.

[Edit]http://www.google.com/wallet/get.html -- According to the site, it's only available on the SGS3 on Sprint. For T-mobile only the Nexus gets it, for now.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 4, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DemonMage posted:

[Edit]http://www.google.com/wallet/get.html -- According to the site, it's only available on the SGS3 on Sprint. For T-mobile only the Nexus gets it, for now.

That website HAS to be incorrect. I know for a fact the Nexus S 4G got the update too as I got the update when it dropped and used it a few days ago with no problems.

I think Google completely left out the NS4G or something due to it's age. It's weird because it's the first phone to have it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DemonMage posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel&hl=en

If you can't find it searching on your device, it's probably because it's not available on your Device/Network. I can install it onto my T-Mobile SGS3 by using the web store (where it says compatible), but when I launch the app it just says it's not available for my device/network.

Ok. I already had it on my Verizon GNex via a web store workaround. I was just wondering if now that it's been (apparently only somewhat) unrestricted, I might need/want to install a newer version, or something.

That being said, aren't I supposed to be able to use non-Citi credit cards now? How come mine won't give me that option?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

This is amazing. It's simultaneously a replacement for Listen and Reader, is far better than both, and the full version is 3 bucks.

Never mind. With every single setting set to wifi only, this thing decided to stream a already-downloaded podcast over 3g instead, and then blew through another 80mb after I stopped listening doing who knows what. Thank goodness for Droidwall.

:staredog: Yikes! Sorry about that. I rarely use it for podcasts and when I do I'm on WiFi, so I never knew that could happen.

It's still a really good Google Reader... reader, though. The ability to open the feed's original website without leaving the app is super handy. But uh yeah maybe not the right choice for podcast users after all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Why haven't I heard of GoodNews before now?

Far and away the best Google Reader client.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I'm curious why some people use Swiftkey over Swype.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Why haven't I heard of GoodNews before now?

Far and away the best Google Reader client.
There was one dev who promised he'd make a good podcast app that synced with Google Reader.

That dev lied, Listen died. :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Easier/faster/more comfortable. What other type of answer are you looking for?

LastInLine posted:

There was one dev who promised he'd make a good podcast app that synced with Google Reader.

That dev lied, Listen died. :(

The problem with devs (or at least with devs who enjoy what they do), is that they've got more ideas than time.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I'd probably use Swype if it wasn't such a mess to install.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

They are totally different though. Swype is a one handed thing with a pretty large learning curve. Swiftkey is the best of the "normal" keyboards. I think swype might be better if you aren't that good at thumb typing, but I am and swiftkey's auto corrections means less going back and fixing things manually.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

The problem with devs (or at least with devs who enjoy what they do), is that they've got more ideas than time.
I suppose that's true.

I'm going to try out GoodNews for a week or so. Hopefully it'll stick to wifi only unlike it did for Soviet Canuckistan. I really like the interface so far but I care a lot more about podcasts than the reader part.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I've got Swiftkey installed on my N7, because for some reason pressing-and-holding the top row for numbers (and punctuation?) doesn't work on the stock JB tablet keyboard.

Any suggestions for Facebook and Twitter clients that'll write my contacts' updates into their social stream in the People app, the same way Google+ does?

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Rooster Brooster posted:

BeyondPod will do this, but you'll have to refresh your password every few weeks when the "cookie" (or whatever it gets from Google) expires.

All podcast apps on Android are terrible.

You don't have to input a password in BeyondPod, you can access your Reader subscriptions through the google account on your phone. Choose the option to "Use ____@gmail.com" from the dropdown menu in "import from Google Reader" and it will pull up a permission prompt.

The Reader integration with BeyondPod has never given me problems.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 4, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I don't like the way Swype handles suggestions.

Also stuff like this is nice to have:

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I like SwiftKey. I find it a lot easier to type with haptic feedback turned off, though. Is anyone else the same?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

tomm posted:

I like SwiftKey. I find it a lot easier to type with haptic feedback turned off, though. Is anyone else the same?

Yes, I turn off haptic feedback for everything except the softkeys.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I use Keyboard Manager so that I can use Swype in portrait, for one handed typing, and SwiftKey in landscape. I was a die-hard Swype fan, til I tried SwiftKey, which I bought within minutes of trying. I still like Swype more for one handed input, but SwiftKey is just drat enjoyable to use. I've started typing in landscape way more.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I try every so often and I can't get into SwiftKey. My wife doesn't like it either, and just sticks with the JB keyboard.

It might have something to do with my finding prediction creepy.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Interesting, Swiftkey seems interesting if not a bit pricey. Swype has really sold me on "drawing" my words though. Thanks for all your points of view.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I try every so often and I can't get into SwiftKey. My wife doesn't like it either, and just sticks with the JB keyboard.

It might have something to do with my finding prediction creepy.

One problem with SwiftKey is its got too many options. I mean, that's good, but I had to experiment with them until it went from being "not good" to "great".

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Does anyone use the precise feature instead of the rapid on Swiftkey?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I use the precise feature mainly because I never tried rapid and I'm extremely anal retentive. Guess I'll give rapid a shot.

I dunno if swype does this, but SwiftKey does language integration so well. I can just start typing in and out of three different languages and it will automatically predict, complete with structural changes to the grammar and everything

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always just picked precise because that's how I tend to type, does it matter that much?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Do you guys have issues with certain words with SwiftKey? Like I have a server and every time I type in its address it completely screws it up and the only way to type it in is to switch to the built in keyboard. Anything with a period in it seems to make it go nuts. Like if I type in samplex.us.to using swiftkey it just wont do it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Nask26 posted:

Do you guys have issues with certain words with SwiftKey? Like I have a server and every time I type in its address it completely screws it up and the only way to type it in is to switch to the built in keyboard. Anything with a period in it seems to make it go nuts. Like if I type in samplex.us.to using swiftkey it just wont do it.

I think it's hardcoded to put a space and capitalize after a period, at least in English mode, because that's how it's used. If you're doing technical work, like SSH or whatever, I recommend installing Hacker's Keyboard or something similar that's designed for that and using it when doing that sort of thing.

If you're trying to type it in an SMS or email though, yeah that kinda sucks. Oh well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nask26 posted:

Try longpressing on the complete address, it should let you add it as a "word".

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
Phew, glad I came to this thread. I used DoubleTwist without any issues on my Atrix 4G, but I just got the Atrix HD today and DoubleTwist just does not recognize it on my PC. I got iSyncr and it's syncing up perfectly right now. Going to buy that and iSyncr Wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

Try longpressing on the complete address, it should let you add it as a "word".

This worked awesome! Thanks! SwiftKey is 10/10 for me now.

• Locked thread