Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

codeorange posted:

The movie attempts to cover like 50 chapters in a few hours, so important plot points and character development get stretched so thin that they're barely existent. It's more a compilation of highlights from the manga then a faithful adaption. It's a shame really, because you'd think that an awesome movie is exactly what would be needed to draw in new, more skeptical viewers to the franchise. But instead we get something that's made only for the fans. gently caress :effort:, because everyone has already read the manga, right?

Let's be honest here, these movies were never gonna do gangbusters at the box office. As great as it is, Berserk has a very, very narrow margin of appeal. If you handed it to 100 people on the street, 90% would stop reading at the first rape or beheading. And you can't blame them - you need a strong stomach for this series.

COULD they have made a film that appealed to a wider market? Sure. Would it have still been Berserk, and would the fans have raised holy hell for "neutering" it? You bet your rear end. It's a lose-lose situation.
I think a film that works as a "best of" compilation is the best we could hope for. And I certainly won't begrudge them for spending all that money to appeal to the small Berserk fanbase.
We should be drat grateful these films exist at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I've always thought a live action Berserk made by western directors would work well. But the problem is that people would treat Berserk like an action or horror flick and the real thing is Berserk is much closer to Raging Bull or Taxi Driver. If you look a Berserk movie like a character study, it could be really good. If people like Game of Thrones, they should love Berserk because it has far more relatable story and characters.

Incoming embarrassing obsession based suggestions:

I'd make it a trilogy with the the first film being about Guts and his life all the way up to Zodd. The 2nd film would be about Caska, post Zodd up to Griffin's "death" and killing off the Queen. The 3rd film would center on Griffith and go till the Eclipse. And I'd end it with Guts with having one eye and hand and returning to Godo.

temple fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 3, 2012

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

temple posted:

I've always thought a live action Berserk made by western directors would work well. But the problem is that people would treat Berserk like an action or horror flick and the real thing is Berserk is much closer to Raging Bull or Taxi Driver. If you look a Berserk movie like a character study, it could be really good. If people like Game of Thrones, they should love Berserk because it has far more relatable story and characters.

Incoming embarrassing obsession based suggestions:

I'd make it a trilogy with the the first film being about Guts and his life all the way up to Zodd. The 2nd film would be about Caska, post Zodd up to Griffin's "death" and killing off the Queen. The 3rd film would center on Griffith and go till the Eclipse. And I'd end it with Guts with having one eye and hand and returning to Godo.

That would be an interesting take on the series. Would radically diverge from the source material, because Berserk doesn't really spend entire arcs focusing on a particular character. But I could see that being more interesting to watch that the movies they're making. Though I liked the first movie, didn't love it, but it was pretty decent.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

That's implying that it was animated the first time and not a bunch of panning over still shots.

Awesome still shots! :mad:

By the way, positive note is that (going by Skull Knight forums guys), the third movie recently had an extra 20 minutes added to run time, so it's going to come in at something like 130 minutes. It was originally going to be the longest anyway, at about 110.

That's probably a good sign in some way or another.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I hope it ends the same way the Series did.

tsaofen
May 20, 2009
Speaking of a live-action movie I made a thing a long time ago as a joke for my friends, but I've always thought it works in some strange way.

(I apologize for the ugly mspaint job...)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I can't tell for sure, is that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson?

tsaofen
May 20, 2009
Yeah, it was part of a larger discussion about casting people who normally headline goofy action movies in darker parts.

As for where Berserk is going currently - I like to think that the last few chapters were a dream that Gatts was having while recovering on the ship as they near Elf Island, and it's probably going to be the reason they're allowed on the island. Or something. One of the great things about Berserk is that I can rarely tell exactly where Miura is going with things.

Either that or there's so much time between chapters that I completely forget everything about what just happened...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

tsaofen posted:

Speaking of a live-action movie I made a thing a long time ago as a joke for my friends, but I've always thought it works in some strange way.

That works way too well.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

tsaofen posted:

rofl this is actually pretty good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

It's crazy that Hellsing is able to justify being animated without leaving out anything, with excellent production and everything, while Berserk is forced to struggle with fitting four or five volumes of material into 75 minutes. Hellsing is a good manga and the OVAs are excellent, but Berserk deserves at least as much. And as far as I know the DVD sales for Hellsing have been awful.
Maybe they have cut the budget, the latest Hellsing OVA had some godawful CGI...

Anyway, I think the pacing is quite different between the early Berserk and Hellsing, and this would make Berserk adaptation rushed even if they did it with similar chapters to animated minutes ratio. For example, in Hellsing the mansion fight (Seras vs. Zorin) takes about 1.5 volumes. At one OVA per volume it doesn't feel rushed at all. Compare that to how much happens in Berserk's Golden Age arc in a similar amount of chapters (a lot). I think the latest Berserk material is closer to Hellsing pacing-wise, with the extended Sea God fight taking close to 2 volumes. Still, I don't think that it would feel rushed even as a single long OVA/movie.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Don't they release the Hellsing OVA as just one episode per DVD? No wonder it tanks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
In their slight defense, looking at AnimeNewsNetwork all the OVA episodes are double+ length, 45-55 minutes each, and they've been released every 7 or 8 months since 2006.

I can only hope that the fairy/spirit flashback hints at the approach to Puck's homeland. Like they'll meet the same flower chick and she'll be all "Oh hey this guy ate a rat for me 15 years ago let's let him in" kind of thing...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Since there isn't a whole lot of Berserk to talk about at the moment anyways -- what's your avatar from? I tried a reverse image search but nothing turned up.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Since there isn't a whole lot of Berserk to talk about at the moment anyways -- what's your avatar from? I tried a reverse image search but nothing turned up.
This video. ~3:12.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's a very good video.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That seemed strangely relavent to Berserk. I'm also kind of still in shock.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's more Lovecraftian than Berserk.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
Sea god wasn't Lovecraftian?

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
I just finished reading the whole series from the beginning (took me three days of nonstop reading, only series that took me that long before was One Piece) and I just wish I had discovered later, its going to be agony now to wait for the next chapters.

Btw has the author given a reason why he stopped publishing regularly? I recall reading sometime ago that he had a medical condition, but upon searching again seems like that was bogus. Is it the strain of having to continue the same story for 22 years? (dude published the first volume the year I was born...)

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

papasyhotcakes posted:

I just finished reading the whole series from the beginning (took me three days of nonstop reading, only series that took me that long before was One Piece) and I just wish I had discovered later, its going to be agony now to wait for the next chapters.

Btw has the author given a reason why he stopped publishing regularly? I recall reading sometime ago that he had a medical condition, but upon searching again seems like that was bogus. Is it the strain of having to continue the same story for 22 years? (dude published the first volume the year I was born...)

I think he just knows that this is going to be his magnum opus and just takes time and effort to make sure everything is right.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Honestly, he puts out ~12 chapters a year, and considering how amazing the art is that can't be an easy feat. To put it slightly in perspective, he's doing around half as much a year as a monthly manga, assuming 20 pages to 40 pages, which is pretty good for the quality of work he does. He's no GRRM or anything.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, his output has halved since 2006 or so. He was putting out 2 volumes a year for most of the run.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
It's not Miura's fault they keep making new Idolmaster games.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
God please shut up about that stupid loving comment. It was A Joke he made. Other comments areas have him talking about delaying because he's having so much fun with his steam cooker, I don't think that means it's actually a thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zorak posted:

God please shut up about that stupid loving comment. It was A Joke he made. Other comments areas have him talking about delaying because he's having so much fun with his steam cooker, I don't think that means it's actually a thing.

Now, now, he might be doing more character designs for them :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cbouncerrun posted:

It's more Lovecraftian than Berserk.

I've re-bought this avatar at least once just to put a different Lovecraft quote under it :haw:

Just finished the first movie. Some bits of it did start to look like a PS3 game cutscene, especially the Zodd fight, but overall if this is what it takes to get further in the story I don't have a big problem with it. I did like it when blood got splashed up on the 'screen', for some reason animation that emulates physical cameras always amuses me.

It's been forever since I went through Golden Age, but I sure don't remember the nobles BBQing a loving dolphin in the manga. Thought they were maybe accelerating giving us reasons to hate the aristocracy so we're all on Griffith's side. I'm also seeing a bunch of parallels with Reinhard from LoGH, but I suppose rising up through the ranks of an established social order isn't exactly breaking new storytelling ground. I wonder if they'll insert the first 3(?) volumes after the Eclipse, that's some nice classic hyperviolent Guts action right there.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

papasyhotcakes posted:

Read it again! :D

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

New poster for the third movie from :japan:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

cyberbug posted:

Maybe they have cut the budget, the latest Hellsing OVA had some godawful CGI...

Anyway, I think the pacing is quite different between the early Berserk and Hellsing, and this would make Berserk adaptation rushed even if they did it with similar chapters to animated minutes ratio. For example, in Hellsing the mansion fight (Seras vs. Zorin) takes about 1.5 volumes. At one OVA per volume it doesn't feel rushed at all. Compare that to how much happens in Berserk's Golden Age arc in a similar amount of chapters (a lot). I think the latest Berserk material is closer to Hellsing pacing-wise, with the extended Sea God fight taking close to 2 volumes. Still, I don't think that it would feel rushed even as a single long OVA/movie.

Also, Hellsing is a lot shorter than Berserk. That probably helps.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That's a pretty awesome poster. Badass rim lighting.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

Ccs posted:

That's a pretty awesome poster. Badass rim lighting.

Yeah, apart from anything it's lot less cluttered and clean, and there's no weird Guts teeth thing like in the first poster.

Let's just hope they give the Eclipse the time it needs. :ohdear:

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
I don't know I'm still pretty traumatized by the first time I saw the Eclipse in the animated series, and then had it reinforced by the greater horror in the original manga depiction. All of the stuff that's shortly before the Eclipse like Wyald however would be great to see animated, but I doubt that wish would come true.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So the teaser trailer for the third movie is out. Looks pretty intense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-fuhzhDNDc

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The first movie wasn't that bad, but they're cutting way more character development than they are action, and from what I've heard the second movie goes even further in that direction. It definitely is a failing if they strip it down so far that you don't have any reason to care about the cast.

Most of the cast at this point is going to die very soon, and the remaining characters have enough interaction (IMO) to make the audience care about them. I think the first movie managed to work in the character development pretty well, although I haven't seen the second movie yet

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Viz also has a trailer for the english dub out. It sounds ok, I guess. The actor for Guts sounds better than he did back in the early 2000's, but the others sound the same.

I wonder what new stuff the "hardcore" crowd will latch on to and nitpick the poo poo out of. :allears:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Awesome Welles posted:

Viz also has a trailer for the english dub out. It sounds ok, I guess. The actor for Guts sounds better than he did back in the early 2000's, but the others sound the same.

I wonder what new stuff the "hardcore" crowd will latch on to and nitpick the poo poo out of. :allears:

Honestly, I feel like the dub voice work is worse in this dub than the show. I feel the show was better on nearly every front outside of the obvious advances in graphical quality. The amount of content that has been cut is staggering and it's barely a coherent story. The easiest scene to compare from that trailer is Caska's mad dog speech. In this movie rendition it just feels so lifeless compared to the show's version which was bristling with venom when spoken.

Sorry let me stop the :spergin:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
More importantly, did they release a preview of the dub outtakes?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

YouTuber posted:

Honestly, I feel like the dub voice work is worse in this dub than the show. I feel the show was better on nearly every front outside of the obvious advances in graphical quality. The amount of content that has been cut is staggering and it's barely a coherent story. The easiest scene to compare from that trailer is Caska's mad dog speech. In this movie rendition it just feels so lifeless compared to the show's version which was bristling with venom when spoken.

Sorry let me stop the :spergin:

At this point these movies turn into one of two things:
1) A greatest hits reel that is aimed at fans of the original material to the detriment of everyone else or
2) They rush through the pre-Black Swordsman content because it's already been animated and not really what people want to see

Either way, I"m kind of fine with. It's not ideal, but in life, what is~?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Apparently the second movie is much better paced than the first. Still a bit rushed, but it has a clear 3 act structure unlike the mish-mash of scenes that made up the first movie.