Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Croccers posted:

That's what bugged me the most about CJ. It wasn't the wimpy gangster, it was he so easily fell back into it at the end. He leaves the ghetto and poo poo starts getting done. He owns airfields, RC shops, car showrooms, manages a super-star rapper. But no, We gotta go back to the ghetto homie.
gently caress you CJ, you worked your arse off to get your brother out of jail and he wants to go BACK into that shithole that locked him up in the first place. gently caress that poo poo.
I tend to agree completely but then I remember that in my last playthrough the feeling of "gently caress that poo poo" transitioned nicely into "you wanna drag me back into a gang war after all that poo poo? Okay, I'ma grab that minigun the government agent left me, and then we'll see about a loving gang war."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The endgame of SA is about CJ getting revenge on the remaining people who hosed him over and taking control of Los Santos. He's hardly falling back to being a bitch, he just realizes that with all his money and power he can finally take control of the neighborhood hew grew up in, kick out all the dealers and corrupt cops and give his friends and family a better life.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

K8.0 posted:

The endgame of SA is about CJ getting revenge on the remaining people who hosed him over and taking control of Los Santos. He's hardly falling back to being a bitch, he just realizes that with all his money and power he can finally take control of the neighborhood hew grew up in, kick out all the dealers and corrupt cops and give his friends and family a better life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzZfacRIkN4&t=156s
From what I recall of it he's only really doing it because his brother Sweet is. The 'Beat down on B Dup' is him just lovely at B Dup cause Sweet nearly tried drugs :pcgaming:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Goddamn. I never really thought about it but I would pay out the rear end for a Brucie led DLC :( even if it was just the skin and a rotating set of pumped up phrases that are played anytime you break 70mph.

I always get a big smile seeing him in Maisonette

Oh man, this should totally be a mod for the PC. It seems like something that shouldn't be impossible, at least.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

My Lovely Horse posted:

I tend to agree completely but then I remember that in my last playthrough the feeling of "gently caress that poo poo" transitioned nicely into "you wanna drag me back into a gang war after all that poo poo? Okay, I'ma grab that minigun the government agent left me, and then we'll see about a loving gang war."

Now that you say that I wish there was a mission where you steal a tank and drive it down the highway smashing poo poo up (as really did happen in LA in the early 90s!)

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I wish the tanks in GTA actually ran over cars like GTA1. Saints Row 3 had a fantastically satisfying car crush mechanic for tanks/heavy vehicles.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Now that you say that I wish there was a mission where you steal a tank and drive it down the highway smashing poo poo up (as really did happen in LA in the early 90s!)
Vigilante.

Unless you're doing it wrong.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If you are doing vigilante in downtown LS then its you who are doing it wrong, too many elevated roads, the airport gate, etc.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

So has there been any recent word on GTA V or is it still just a trailer from last year and nothing else since then? They're really dragging their goddamn feet on this one

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Nope. Mostly because of Max Payne 3. They wanted to give that game the limelight and waited for its release before they start giving us a better look at GTAV. Since Max Payne 3 is out now and it's almost been a year since the trailer, I'd probably say the game is already far along and we should be expecting a full on Game Informer reveal in the coming months alongside a new trailer around September/October.

Once that happens, I expect it will be a constant media onslaught of GTAV news.

When that happens do you guys want to keep going at it in this thread or make a GTAV thread?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

So has there been any recent word on GTA V or is it still just a trailer from last year and nothing else since then? They're really dragging their goddamn feet on this one

They released two new screenshots a few weeks ago, and the Epsilon Program website from San Andreas was recently revived with a twitter account. I'd expect them to start with their tie-in websites soon enough, and maybe a new trailer too, but that's just based on how they promoted the last few games.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
There are rumours it'll be shown at Gamescom in mid-August, but nothing concrete.

Assuming they're on track to release end of 2012 or early 2013, now's probably a good time for them to start cranking up the hype machine.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008

Rockstar made a twitter account for the Epsilon Program and that's it. Should expect something to happen soon though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

There are rumours it'll be shown at Gamescom in mid-August, but nothing concrete.

Rockstar has said GTA V won't be appearing at Gamescom, for what it's worth.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Himuro posted:

When that happens do you guys want to keep going at it in this thread or make a GTAV thread?

I'd say once we have a somewhat decent idea about the game and release make a thread.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice

Himuro posted:

Once that happens, I expect it will be a constant media onslaught of GTAV news.

That's what I was thinking, it should have it's own thread with an OP that someone is willing to constantly update as new news comes in (I'm willing to do this, I created the thread for BoGT that was before this thread) I'm constantly checking gtagaming for updates anyways.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, I can't be assed to constantly update. Despite constantly checking out gtagaming. Man, I seem to only go back there's news of a new gta around the corner, haha.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Just did Paper Trail for my friend because he tried a solid 20 times and kept losing the helicopter you are supposed to follow. Made me want to replay it when I got home.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
This made me want to play Vice City again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVHqL_uTqOg

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Droopy Goines posted:

Well, time to reinstall. It also reminded me how much I want to play Hotline Miami.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Roman calls me up and wants to go see a show. I take him there, watch the show, and drive him back home. When we return, the marker is in the middle of where I have another car parked so I end up parking directly alongside it, without enough room for Roman to open his door. The camera switches to look in through the windshield. He says, "This was fun, cousin! We should do this again!" Then immediately yells "I NEED THAT CAR BACK! :byodood: " and punches Nico in the face so hard he flies out of the driver's seat and into the street. Roman sits in the driver's seat for a moment, hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel, with a look of incredible concentration on his face. Then he gets of the car and vanishes.

I love Grand Theft Auto. :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Droopy Goines posted:

Hahaha, this is excellent. I love it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Just seeing that video I still remember the cutscenes and the exact positions, etc for it. It nailed it very well. It was probably one of the most basic end missions but that's what made it fun.

Basically going Scarface on their asses.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I kept hoping Tommy would run over Sonny with a car to end the game just like how I always do when I beat Vice City. :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

webmeister posted:

Assuming they're on track to release end of 2012 or early 2013, now's probably a good time for them to start cranking up the hype machine.
I doubt that the game is coming out before March. The complete lack of information, and as mentioned the fact that they had to promote Max Payne 3 for awhile makes it unlikely that they would suddenly announce it's releasing in December.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

One thing I sort of respect about R* is they release games whenever they're done. They don't do that bullshit where it'll come out in late December/early November whether they've been sitting on the finished product for months or (usually) the game is an unpolished turd that developers barely got done, and they don't announce release dates ten months in advance and either push them back repeatedly or hype the game for so long that everyone is disappointed no matter what (Diablo 3, Saints Row 3).

I have high hopes for GTA V. I think open world sandbox/dicking around is probably one of the toughest genres to make, both in terms of hardware resources and gameplay. Even Saints Row 3 proved that with great gameplay mechanics, your game can still be a disappointment if it lacks some je ne sais qu'as. On paper, Saints Row 3 looks like the best game ever, but every time I fire it up I'm bored and find some new tiny reason that I'm not liking it. GTA 4 though, which really isn't even a fair comparison because it came out with SR2, looks like poo poo on paper but every time I fire it up I find myself engrossed in something stupid like just ramming other cars and watching the pissed off occupants or something.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

I have high hopes for GTA V. I think open world sandbox/dicking around is probably one of the toughest genres to make, both in terms of hardware resources and gameplay. Even Saints Row 3 proved that with great gameplay mechanics, your game can still be a disappointment if it lacks some je ne sais qu'as. On paper, Saints Row 3 looks like the best game ever, but every time I fire it up I'm bored and find some new tiny reason that I'm not liking it. GTA 4 though, which really isn't even a fair comparison because it came out with SR2, looks like poo poo on paper but every time I fire it up I find myself engrossed in something stupid like just ramming other cars and watching the pissed off occupants or something.

I agree, I am currently LP'ing the LCPD First Response mod, which is a police mod. The whole idea is to just be immersed in Liberty City life. I am a GTA4 'disliker' (When compared to old games), but I absolutely adore the detailed city and the work that must of been put into that place. The car damage, the pedestrian actions and general details really draw me in and I can just drive/walk around aimlessly and still get enjoyment from it.

To think GTA5 will be on a larger scale, hopefully with a similar level of detail is really exciting.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Droopy Goines posted:

Just started replaying it yesterday. Good times.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

FlamingLiberal posted:

I doubt that the game is coming out before March. The complete lack of information, and as mentioned the fact that they had to promote Max Payne 3 for awhile makes it unlikely that they would suddenly announce it's releasing in December.

Does Rockstar have anything else on the horizon? Something for the holiday season? We could still see a November/holiday release even with the lack of recent info. If we go through all of August without a peep it's probably not looking good though.

GTAV will sell millions no matter when it comes out, but I'd have to imagine they'd prefer November of this year over something like March of next year.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Knightmare posted:

GTAV will sell millions no matter when it comes out, but I'd have to imagine they'd prefer November of this year over something like March of next year.

They will probably still want to avoid the yearly Call of Duty release even if it's GTA.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Red Dead Redemption 3: The Max Paynining ?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I absolutely agree. I must have put 600 hours of game time into just loving around in Liberty City and loving around in multiplayer by now over the years versus the 20 or so hours it took to actually finish the storyline for the main game and expansions. No Saint's Row game has ever had that kind of staying power for me, the cities and such just haven't been well made enough to support it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Knightmare posted:

Does Rockstar have anything else on the horizon? Something for the holiday season? We could still see a November/holiday release even with the lack of recent info. If we go through all of August without a peep it's probably not looking good though.

The only other game they've even mentioned before that hasn't been released is Agent, but there are some who think that game isn't going to be finished, or was cancelled at some point.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I'm still surprised at how much more fun a trainer can make GTA4. Spawn up a bunch of bodyguards, walk to the middle of the group and start shoving until gunfire breaks out. Run like hell or turn on god mode to enjoy the resulting gang war on the streets of Liberty.

Pretty much this (until the game crashes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY4zgovG9KA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
The last time I played GTAIV I had a load of fun using a trainer. My friend was playing the game normally with a 360 controller, and I was at the keyboard dropping poo poo into the game and changing it on the fly, Matrix style. I gave him an army of Ricky Gervais bodyguards and changed his character model to Katt Williams, except the model was glitched as gently caress and the character's torso was twisted and bent backwards, and its eyes bugging out of its head. It looked especially horrifying when he stopped at a hamburger stand and would stare vacantly up into the sky as he devoured a burger in two bites.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I loved using the trainer to put cars 2000 feet above the main avenues and dropping them in interesting ways simulating some pretty horrific vehicle damage. The seat belt option was handy for this too.

Unfortunately the terminal velocity of a falling car in RAGE seems a bit slower than what I would assume to be realistic. I'm not a physicist though so :shrug:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only other game they've even mentioned before that hasn't been released is Agent, but there are some who think that game isn't going to be finished, or was cancelled at some point.

I think we'll see Agent eventually, but probably not for a while yet. It seems like another LA Noire-style fiasco where the deadline just keeps getting pushed further and further back.

You've got to imagine that they're also working on some sort of follow-up to Red Dead Redemption, given how well that game was received.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Good grief, the gunplay in GTAIII and Vice City is even jankier than I remembered it being. I aim at a guy's torso and watch my assault rifle rounds phase right through him while he happily blasts away at me and drains my health. Shooting people in the legs seems to be the most reliable way to kill them, as the hits register slightly better.

I ended up playing through the 'Death Row' and 'Rub Out' missions using only the .308 Sniper, because actually getting into gunfights only got me and/or Lance killed. I'm bad at video games.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Good grief, the gunplay in GTAIII and Vice City is even jankier than I remembered it being.

Avoid the gunplay entirely and kill all enemies with cars. It made GTAIII and GTA Vice City much more playable and even came in handy in San Andreas most of the time. All of the "go do a drive by on these dudes" missions turned into "slam a car into everyone" and I succeeded a lot more of the time than when I tried to do it their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

webmeister posted:

I think we'll see Agent eventually, but probably not for a while yet. It seems like another LA Noire-style fiasco where the deadline just keeps getting pushed further and further back.

You've got to imagine that they're also working on some sort of follow-up to Red Dead Redemption, given how well that game was received.

We know they're working on Bully 2 as well, due to the composer spilling the beans about it a while back.

• Locked thread