Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Daedra posted:

Try out Sonata Arctica if you like Elvenking, the Ecliptica through Unia albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwYiW2ROGSY

This sounds a lot like Stratovarius when they used to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Carl Seitan posted:

This sounds a lot like Stratovarius when they used to be good.
If you lost interest in Stratovarius around the time Timo Tolkki went nuts, you might be pleasantly surprised to discover that Polaris was actually a pretty good album and Elysium, while not the same caliber overall, wasn't a bad follow-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXMtwrkgnVM

There's definitely no confusing most of their last two albums for Visions or Episode, though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Are there any other quality bands similar to Ensiferum/Wintersun out there? Bonus points for good female lead singers, since I always enjoy that kind of voice in metal.
loving CRIMFALL, man. I wouldn't quite classify them as plain folk metal, but they do use a lot of Finnish folk elements. The song linked above is probably their folkiest. But since you mentioned Wintersun, I assume you're not that vehement about the folkiness. :v:
Also, Crimfall's female vocalist is just stellar. She sounds loving dramatic and emotional without being over-the-top operatic or anything.
Here's another song that's not really all that folky at all, but shows off her voice quite well.

EDIT: While browsing Youtube for Crimfall I came across Brymir. You might wanna give them a go as well, they kinda sound like a less folky but more symphonic Ensiferum. Not bad at all, gotta look into them more, myself.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 30, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hey guys, have another very short video of Jari sitting at his computer. It's the third Wintersun album trailer! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-71I1dn9i0

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Hahahahahahah, that may very well be the most pointless trailer video I have ever seen.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
‎8 more bands have been confirmed for MDF XI!

REPULSION
PAGAN ALTAR (UK) - Exclusive US show!
BROKEN HOPE
PIG DESTROYER
VINTERLAND (Sweden) - Exclusive US show!
WEEDEATER
GRIDE (Czech Republic)
LOSS

An updated list of confirmed bands can be found below. We have quite a bit in the works with some of the headliners for next year's fest, so with a little luck, we'll be able to announce them soon, along with plenty of other bands. As mentioned previously, we expect to reveal information regarding the new venue sometime in August.

!T.O.O.H.! (Czech Republic)
AHUMADO GRANUJO (Czech Republic)
ANTAEUS (France)
AOSOTH (France)
BROKEN HOPE
CARCASS (UK)
CONVULSE (Finland)
GRIDE (Czech Republic)
INGROWING (Czech Republic)
INTEGRITY
KOMMANDANT
LOSS
MANILLA ROAD
MIDNIGHT
MORGION
PAGAN ALTAR (UK)
PELICAN
PENTAGRAM
PIG DESTROYER
REPULSION
RIGHTEOUS PIGS
VENOM (UK)
VINTERLAND (Sweden)
WEEDEATER

If they've got Pig Destroyer then I guess I don't have a choice :shobon:

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I saw Agalloch in Raleigh last night. John played the last few minutes of the encore with a deer leg. It was amputated below the knee and he played his guitar with the hoof. It was the best show I've ever been to. That is all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Scrambles posted:

I saw Agalloch in Raleigh last night. John played the last few minutes of the encore with a deer leg. It was amputated below the knee and he played his guitar with the hoof. It was the best show I've ever been to. That is all.

I was there too :shobon:

Agalloch was awesome. Taurus were loving terrible.

Hoofbite
Sep 6, 2003

Just getting interested in metal again after a long post-rock break.

Is Torture Squad pretty well-known these days? Really good thrash band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ6KKlU4WtI

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hoofbite posted:

Just getting interested in metal again after a long post-rock break.

Is Torture Squad pretty well-known these days? Really good thrash band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ6KKlU4WtI

I've been prodding at thrash for awhile but haven't been able to find any bands I like, but this is awesome. I like the clean production, the guitar work is excellent and I definitely prefer death vocals to the more typical thrash shout. Any other bands like this?

henpod posted:

Hey guys, have another very short video of Jari sitting at his computer. It's the third Wintersun album trailer! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-71I1dn9i0

Haha, what a nerd this guy is. These trailers suck but the half second I heard of the new song sounded pretty cool.

Also,

the kvltest taurine money can buy

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 31, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
holy poo poo, Vinterland? Hopefully they don't suck live now, because they loving ruled.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Torture Squad rules. Pandemonium is an amazing album. So many riffs.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

fozzie dunlop posted:

If they've got Pig Destroyer then I guess I don't have a choice :shobon:

This. I'll kick my own rear end forever having missed Nasum this year, but seeing Pig Destroyer will ease the pain ever so slightly.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
So did anyone go to Summer Slaughter in Tampa? I wasn't going originally, but my boyfriend's friend was in town and bought our tickets.

Anyway, a friend of mine overheard a girl in the bathroom say a guy told her that he had a gun and knives and was going to shoot someone in Job for a Cowboy. My friend debated about telling someone before telling a bartender, but she did (via a typed out note on her phone). The ended up stalling JFAC for a while, let them play two songs, then hustled them offstage. Everyone was evacuated, the building was searched and then everyone was searched and let back in.

All the bands were cut to 25 minutes, except BTBAM and Corpse.
Anyway, I think it's in bad taste to even joke about that poo poo, because not only did a bunch of people die last week in a shooting, but also because this is Florida and it's likely that someone really does have a gun.

Here's the BBM story. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=177493

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I was gonna go to the Ft.Lauderdale show today, but it starts at 2pm. What kind of loving rear end in a top hat organized that? 2pm? People don't have jobs? Not ever metal fan works at Jamba Juice.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

I was gonna go to the Ft.Lauderdale show today, but it starts at 2pm. What kind of loving rear end in a top hat organized that? 2pm? People don't have jobs? Not ever metal fan works at Jamba Juice.

Yeah, it started at 1:30 and went to midnight, with all the delays. I guess that's why the crowd was mostly kids and people from my high school.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Weaponized Cum posted:

Employed people are not exactly the largest segment of the concert going metal fanbase.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Employed people are not exactly the largest segment of the concert going metal fanbase.

Absolutely. I just pound my knuckles into the ground all day and sneak into all the shows because I can't afford the $10-15 door price.

e- Even though Summer Slaughter's target audience is definitely younger and much less likely to be employed full time. (Seriously, in Tampa I felt like an old fart when I went to redeem my beer tickets because everyone else could only get Coke.)

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 1, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you're into GWAR -- Brockie has a book coming out and right now if you help kickstart it for $75 you get two tickets to a non-fest show and get a chance to meet him backstage.

quote:

Only 10 hours left! A 75 dollar pledge gets you two VIP passes to a GWAR non-festival show, and a backstage meet and greet with the madman behind the mask, Dave Brockie!

http://www.indiegogo.com/LotFPBrockie

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any thoughts on the new Testament? I'm about to give it a go. The single owned, and Formation owned, so I have high expectations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any thoughts on the new Testament? I'm about to give it a go. The single owned, and Formation owned, so I have high expectations.

With repeat listens, I'm enjoying it. If you liked The Formation of Damnation, like I did, you should enjoy The Dark Roots of Earth.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

thepitgoddess posted:

Absolutely. I just pound my knuckles into the ground all day and sneak into all the shows because I can't afford the $10-15 door price.

e- Even though Summer Slaughter's target audience is definitely younger and much less likely to be employed full time. (Seriously, in Tampa I felt like an old fart when I went to redeem my beer tickets because everyone else could only get Coke.)
Sadly the economy really hit the Detroit metal scene hard. Shows at Harpos that used to have 2000+ people at them now barely get 1000, and lots of bands that used to go there are heading to the 500 person Blondies instead. People seem to not be able to afford 20 buck shows now.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Sadly the economy really hit the Detroit metal scene hard. Shows at Harpos that used to have 2000+ people at them now barely get 1000, and lots of bands that used to go there are heading to the 500 person Blondies instead. People seem to not be able to afford 20 buck shows now.

Also people don't want to get stabbed if they go to Harpo's which isn't helping the turnout either. Now bands are booking places the Magic Stick/Majestic/St. Andrews, which hold even less. It's like a big poo poo whirlpool that we can't escape.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Not Very Metal posted:

Also people don't want to get stabbed if they go to Harpo's which isn't helping the turnout either. Now bands are booking places the Magic Stick/Majestic/St. Andrews, which hold even less. It's like a big poo poo whirlpool that we can't escape.
Harpos is the safest it has ever been. They have had metal detectors since dime got shot, armed security in the lot, and they no longer let 18 year kids in the back stairway for half price with glass bottles of jack daniels. Btw being 18 and going to Harpos owned in 2002.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Harpos is the safest it has ever been. They have had metal detectors since dime got shot, armed security in the lot, and they no longer let 18 year kids in the back stairway for half price with glass bottles of jack daniels. Btw being 18 and going to Harpos owned in 2002.

Well poo poo, my bad! I haven't been there since '05, '06? I thought it was pretty sketchy then, but my opinion is definitely outdated. Still, it sucks that these places and shows aren't getting the turnout they deserve, even with quality national acts coming through.

EkoEkoAzarak
Nov 3, 2005
Vulgar Display of Power
If you're a fan of Napalm Death/Eyehategod Occult 45 just through up their Grind the Lightning tape for streaming.

http://occult45.bandcamp.com/album/grind-the-lightning

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Been listening to a lot of Symphony X again, The Odyssey is probably my favorite metal song right now, much better than Manowar's Achilles Agony and Ecstasy in 8 parts (which while epic and well researched has to much filler in that 28 minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaN3pwBsRf8

I have also been listening to anything that Mike Patton has done and I just love hearing him sing and make even the most incomprehensible sounds listenable. Mr.Bungle is probably my favorite of the bands he's sung with and I can listen to the California album all day long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Rw-BqqBTw

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

There's a Napalm Death/Exhumed/Speedwolf/Municipal Waste tour thing going on.

There's a date confirmed in Tampa (1 Dec) and ND and MW are confirmed on Barge to Hell, so maybe it's not a full tour? That would be kickass though, all those bands kill live!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The real star of this video is that stuffed cat.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

thepitgoddess posted:

There's a date confirmed in Tampa (1 Dec) and ND and MW are confirmed on Barge to Hell, so maybe it's not a full tour? That would be kickass though, all those bands kill live!

I think Vektor may be on that tour as well.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Interesting after all the stuff that was talked about earlier in the thread regarding Queensryche; apparently Geoff Tate is going to be on That Metal Show at some point in the near future.

Also: Steve 'Arris.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I listen to music through MOG and this was the "Similar Artist" radio for Dodecahedron:

:lol::wtc:

Where's the loving Loggins & Messina?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

thepitgoddess posted:

My dick will erupt if they make this tour NA wide -- all those bands have amazing albums out right now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New Testament is great, but tapers off a little toward the end. The Powerslave cover owns too.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

New Testament is great, but tapers off a little toward the end.
Really? I thought the gospels were boring, and Revelations was where poo poo started getting good.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

New Testament is great, but tapers off a little toward the end. The Powerslave cover owns too.

Their Powerslave cover is awesome but it would have been better still if they recorded it with Chuck Billy 15 years ago. His range is kind of limited now for an Iron Maiden cover.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Anyone have any recommendations for something in the same vein as Myrath, Orphaned Land or Arkan? Been on a middle-eastern-influenced kick lately and I'm always on the hunt. I've also given Al-Namrood some spins and even thrown Rotting Christ in there for some of the chanting.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Slasher Dave needs to put out another Horrific LP.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Looks like the closest Moonsorrow and Tyr (and Korpiklaani but meh) are getting to me is Peabody's in Cleveland. I'd love to see them but 10 hours drive :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Samples from Devin Townsend's upcoming Epicloud are on Youtube courtesy of the man himself. Sounds pretty good if you like classic Devin. The remake of Kingdom sounds fantastic.