Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Isn't Eva in pretty terrible condition? Even after Renewal in the mid 2000's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Aside from the half-dozen or so episodes that were storyboarded by Kazuya Tsurumaki, it's not even that great-looking of a series. There's a lot of episodes done on the cheap (even before their budget was slashed).

Is End of Eva on Blu-ray?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, the new movies are the only Evangelion you can get on Blu-ray.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Renewal is the best we have at the moment, and considering that was a digital touch up IIRC I doubt we will see eva TV / movie blurays for a while if ever (EoE has a number of CG bits that I'm sure would be troublesome to do without upscaling.)

Not that most anime is anything near the same level of popularity and thus cost effectiveness, but it's a shame more don't get the TNG reshoot / redo (re-composite) effects treatment.

Gainax' library is pretty spotty with keeping it's stuff in good shape. I'm amazed we (the people. not the us per se) got that Gunbuster bluray.

In other series without bluray news, the Outlaw Star Remaster looks pretty goddamn good for not being HD. Certainly has my domestic DVDs from 2004 beat.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

In other series without bluray news, the Outlaw Star Remaster looks pretty goddamn good for not being HD. Certainly has my domestic DVDs from 2004 beat.

All of Bandai Visual's DVD remasters from that era (2007 or so) look spectacular. Bebop and Outlaw Star came out just superb. Those were all scanned at HD resolution and downscaled for DVD too, so I'm surprised some of them still haven't seen BD releases yet.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

OZC posted:

Those were all scanned at HD resolution and downscaled for DVD too, so I'm surprised some of them still haven't seen BD releases yet.

Oh really? Wow, I'm surprised too. Maybe we will see something in the future.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Certainly better than what BEI or Beez could do. We got Gundam Wing remastered but that's it. It was galling to get Outlaw Star after some 11 years after it's airing on CNX only to basically get VHS rips.

In related news Manga UK has hinted that the Madoka Magica Season Set is going to be a limited run (to be replaced with Singles) hinting that Aniplex tied their hands on it. This would have been good to know about three months ago when they announced they had the rights to the show.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 23, 2012

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

Certainly better than what BEI or Beez could do. We got Gundam Wing remastered but that's it. It was galling to get Outlaw Star after some 11 years after it's airing on CNX only to basically get VHS rips.

I'm still surprised that Beez got the Gundam Wing remasters and BEI didn't bother with them. Then again, BEI never bothered to advertise that the new 0079 Anime Legends sets actually used the R2 Remastered version rather than the old R1 masters, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Speaking of Gundam, I really hope they put the 0079 trilogy on BD now that the Zeta trilogy and practically every other Gundam theatrical release is on BD.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OZC posted:

Speaking of Gundam, I really hope they put the 0079 trilogy on BD now that the Zeta trilogy and practically every other Gundam theatrical release is on BD.

I always wondered why it was this never happened.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They even have the 0083 compilation movie out on BD, and still no 0079 trilogy :negative:

I can only guess that we won't hear anything about any future Gundam BD conversions until the HD remaster of Seed finishes airing.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Srice posted:

I can only guess that we won't hear anything about any future Gundam BD conversions until the HD remaster of Seed finishes airing.

Probably. They only seem to focus on releasing one or two things at a time. Last year it was the various compilation movies over the summer, this year it was the Zeta trilogy and SEED. I'm hoping for something like V, G, or X that didn't get remastered DVD transfers. I think Turn A suffers that same issue of a mix of CGI and traditional animation like Bebop has, but I'm not sure to what extent, so BDs for that could be a mixed bag.

Then again, they'll probably just do Destiny the same way they did SEED. Ugh.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also no one seems to like Turn A at sunrise/bandai so there is that too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DamnGlitch posted:

Also no one seems to like Turn A at sunrise/bandai so there is that too.

Apparently it's been getting progressively more popular in a cult way over the years, so maybe one day there'll be an English blu-ray. Maybe in like 20 years, when whatever the successor to blu-ray is is making the rounds. I live in hope :shobon:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I personally would be very surprised if we get a physical successor to Bluray.

But interesting that it is gaining in popularity.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was going to say it would be unlikely that we see anything beyond Blu-ray for a while, but then I remembered that the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition discs were still "small" enough that they had to split the movies across discs again. So I don't think it's 100% "perfect" just yet, even if that is kind of a fringe case.

I do find it hard to believe the home video market will ever need more than 1920x1080. I know they are working on some pretty ridiculous resolutions beyond that, but unless home users start getting gargantuan TVs haven't we more or less hit the wall with regards to pixel density for home video?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DamnGlitch posted:

I personally would be very surprised if we get a physical successor to Bluray.

But interesting that it is gaining in popularity.

Keep in mind I'm going of /m/'s word on this, so take it with an entire barge of salt. I just can't be bothered hunting through Japanese sites to try and verify it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are BD versions of the Turn A compilation movies so hopefully it's a case of when not if.

Also I'm pretty convinced that blurays will be the last HD physical media before everything starts switching over to digital downloads.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 24, 2012

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I do find it hard to believe the home video market will ever need more than 1920x1080. I know they are working on some pretty ridiculous resolutions beyond that, but unless home users start getting gargantuan TVs haven't we more or less hit the wall with regards to pixel density for home video?

We have a little ways to go yet (an 80-inch Apple Retina display?), and remember there are substantial fractions of the world who don't have access to high-speed internet connections. Physical media will be around forever and commercially viable for another decade at least.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
So weren't we just talking about Bebop on Blu-ray? Because look what just showed up: http://www.sunrise-anime.jp/news/sunrise/whatsnew_e.php?id=5525

12/21 if I'm reading that right.

OZC fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 3, 2012

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

OZC posted:

So weren't we just talking about Bebop on Blu-ray? Because look what just showed up: http://www.sunrise-anime.jp/news/sunrise/whatsnew_e.php?id=5525

12/21 if I'm reading that right.

drat, that's nice!
Since there's been several releases of the DVDs in the west, and I think they sold ok, I guess the blurays should make their ways over here too. Can't wait.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Buffis posted:

drat, that's nice!
Since there's been several releases of the DVDs in the west, and I think they sold ok, I guess the blurays should make their ways over here too. Can't wait.

They sold very well, but the company that sold them no longer is releasing new products.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AzraelNewtype posted:

They sold very well, but the company that sold them no longer is releasing new products.

The good thing is, is that the Blu-Ray format is a completely new license. So another company can just pick up Blu-Ray rights and sell it with no problems.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

The good thing is, is that the Blu-Ray format is a completely new license. So another company can just pick up Blu-Ray rights and sell it with no problems.

Yeah... but they'll probably have to redo the dub track then. And find all of the original VAs, again. Or buy the dub tracks from Bandai Ent... which seems like a long shot.

So it's not ideal. It wouldn't a problem if it was just a crappy dub but just about everyone stateside at least thinks of *THAT* Dub as the definitive version.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah... but they'll probably have to redo the dub track then. And find all of the original VAs, again. Or buy the dub tracks from Bandai Ent... which seems like a long shot.

So it's not ideal. It wouldn't a problem if it was just a crappy dub but just about everyone stateside at least thinks of *THAT* Dub as the definitive version.

May not be that long of a shot since BE is primarily about licensing now; hopefully they don't get too greedy about it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

Because Japanese companies have just been throwing bluray contracts at licensors.

Somehow I doubt HD Cowboy Bebop is going to be out in the US any time soon.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
I doubt another company could just pick up the BDs unless BEI was to sublicense the series out, like Sony did with the movie to Image, though considering the way Bebop has sold in the past, it's not out of the question. For me, the bigger problem it faces in coming over here is the same problem that doomed BEI to be stuck with almost no BD releases. Bandai Visual and their paranoia about reverse importation, which I chalk up to their insane pricing for a series. Bebop has 3 versions, a standard edition, limited edition, and an Amazon.jp Exclusive edition. 26250 yen ($335) for the standard, all the way up to 42000 yen ($536) for the Amazon edition. So what do we get in the US? Either nothing, or crippled ones like dub-only discs. Not that a dub-only release would be too bad in Bebop's case.

Anyway, all that aside, specs have come out:

quote:

Specs: 4:3 1080i, DTS-HD MA 5.1, LPCM (surround). Special features DVD includes some English audio (this is indicated specifically for the special features only)

Amazon Exclusive includes: exclusive illustration (Toshihiro Kawamoto) box, cloth poster, illustration cards(10), "future blues" DVD (same as 2001 one)

LE:
- 32p booklet
- OP/ED finalized storyboard
- Cover art illustrations postcards
- Film strip
- Newly written novel (by Keiko Nobumoto - series composition. It's about how Spike and Jet met)
- DVD: Extra Session (same as the one released back in 2005)

- Non-super ED (..yeah, not sure)
- PV, CM collection
- Full-sized music video - from session #0
- Club remix ver. music video (UK ver)
- Shinichiro Watanabe direction clip (scheduled)
- Ein's summer vacation (picture drama - scheduled)

- Audio commentary (same as 5.1 DVD-BOX) ep1, 17, 24
- as well as newly recorded audio commentary

- Art box illustration by Toshihiro Kawamoto (Different than Amazon version?)

RE:
- Non-super ED
- PV, CM collection

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

1080i huh? does that mean it's an upscale?

Non-super ED... I have a feeling that might just be a clean video of the ending credits minus the text?

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the original Japanese company actually owns the rights to any dubs or subtitle scripts produced by a licensor, so they'd probably be included with the BD license. This may or may not be complicated by the fact that Bandai's US division still kinda technically exists; I can't think of a previous situation that was similar to this.

I really hope this gets a cheaper western release someday. :ohdear:

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

1080i huh? does that mean it's an upscale?

Non-super ED... I have a feeling that might just be a clean video of the ending credits minus the text?

I'm going to look at my Remastered DVDs tonight and see if they have a mixed framerate, which I don't think they do. Normally if it were mixed framerate, the 1080i would make sense, but as far as I can remember, the DVDs were 24fps across the board, which could mean it is upscaled, since I know Eureka Seven was entirely 24fps and the upscale of it was 1080i. I know for sure the ED isn't 30fps because it's just a bunch of still frames, so it doesn't need to be 30fps.

For the "Non-super ED", that certainly could be, though the remastered box didn't have a clean OP/ED before, so you'd think they would include a clean OP as well. Still, the ED images are nice when clean (each one displays on screen long enough with no text on it to get a clean frame of it).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Super Librarian posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the original Japanese company actually owns the rights to any dubs or subtitle scripts produced by a licensor, so they'd probably be included with the BD license.

That is correct, a lot of license rescues tend to come with the old dubs. For example on one strange case. When Geneon went under, they had licensed Moribito and were originally going to release it, but then folded. However, they had already paid for a dub, so when Media Blasters grabbed it, they got the dub that had already been made.

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
Blu-ray licensing isn't quite as cut and dry these days, though. There's been talk of Kadokawa nixing blu ray licensing entirely, the new fun times with subtitle locking and now the Persona 4 thing which may not happen in the UK because they don't share a Blu-ray region with Japan like we do.

While not explicitly stated anywhere it's pretty likely that all of this is due to some sort of belief that grey-market importing from within Japan is some sort of rampant epidemic that needs to be avoided at all costs.

The P4 thing probably involves Aniplex though and their general business practice lately seems to be to do their best to bring Japanese style pricing to US releases, so who knows.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Alternatively they could stop selling home media using prices that originated under the rental model and get with the times, but lol that would involve implying that their predecessors were ever wrong about a business model and therefore is deeply offensive. So yeah, let's just crack down on reimporting the same content from places that aren't absurd. That's reasonable.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The problem is that just not going to happen.

The funny thing is they don't seem to realize the totally profitless exercise of ripping the japanese blurays and fan subbing them for bsically every none japanese area will continue unabated. I have a feeling they'd stand to make more than lose more even if every single japanese nerd imported the completely extraless, non-special edition blurays we get here.

Seriously, if they price for the otaku market, those guys want the biggest best version anyway, and that's gonna be the japanese release with figure and booklet and love pillow, not the use eco-case clean ed/op and previews thing we get here.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Looked at the Bebop R2 remasters last night and as I thought, they were entirely 24fps throughout, or at least they were on the 3-4 episodes I checked. Since the R2 version was progressive, an upscale of some form becomes the likely suspect for the BDs being 1080i. However, I'd also assume that it could be deinterlaced on the fly with no negative effects except for maybe whatever is being upscaled.

E: Saw someone mention elsewhere that it could be interlaced because of the credits moving in the OP. That actually would make sense.

OZC fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 5, 2012

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

twinight posted:

The P4 thing probably involves Aniplex though and their general business practice lately seems to be to do their best to bring Japanese style pricing to US releases, so who knows.

Well, Aniplex USA isn't quite that bad. I think at this point, every Japanese company knows that simply trying to release Japanese style discs at those price points just don't work. Look at how bad Bandai Visual flopped.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

Well, Aniplex USA isn't quite that bad.

Kara no Kyokai BD: $499.99
Durarara BD: $149.98
Madoka Magica BD: $119.94 RE/$224.94 LE
Fate/Zero BD: $699.96
ROD the TV BD: $159.98
Rurouni Kenshin OVAs/movie BD: $64.98/$54.98/$54.98

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Super Librarian posted:

ROD the TV BD: $159.98

That got you the TV series and the OVA a few months ago. :(

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Oh whoops, yeah, that still includes the OVA.

twinight
Aug 25, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Well, Aniplex USA isn't quite that bad. I think at this point, every Japanese company knows that simply trying to release Japanese style discs at those price points just don't work. Look at how bad Bandai Visual flopped.

Super Librarian pretty much hit it -- their pricing is uh, high. You can argue that they're premium packs or whatever with all the extra cruft involved with that but I'm not sure how you explain Fate/Zero and similar.

Aniplex USA seems to be operating on the same basic principles as the rest of the Japanese market. They're aware that there is a dedicated enough segment that is willing to spend a completely ridiculous amount that they don't care about it being available to a 'wider market.' So they just figure out about how much they want to make, assume they'll have x buyers (where x is some small number), and price accordingly.

twinight fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

twinight posted:

Aniplex USA seems to be operating on the same basic principles as the rest of the Japanese market. They're aware that there is a dedicated enough segment that is willing to spend a completely ridiculous amount that they don't care about it being available to a 'wider market.' So they just figure out about how much they want to make, assume they'll have x buyers (where x is some small number), and price accordingly.

Fate/Zero and KnK were literally just discounted imports.

I'll agree that the others listed were overpriced, but I paid 225 dollars for all of Madoka Magica so I think I might be part of the problem here.

• Locked thread