Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/psmgoons12
First Place: Bumble Chump Spencer/Felicia/Shuma-Gorath
Second Place: Ybrik Spider-Man/Taskmaster/Super-Skrull
Third Place: Shiki Dan Hulk/Dorm/Hawkeye/Sent/GhostRider/Hsien-Ko, and Deadpool as...The Beaver
21:00 ShikiDan Dammit I forgot Haggar

The highest ever turnout tonight guys I knew you could do because I believed in me. What?
Also silver is a way cooler color than gold which is why I choose to get second every time :smithicide:

Next Week Thursday August 9th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3
:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/wmtyvyzy3z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
I'm miffed about not getting to sit and watch the fights in the lobby while hooting and making rude sexually-tinged comments via IRC. :reject:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'll admit I missed being able to clap like three times every second. Great Fiiiiiiigggghhhhttt!

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

I'm miffed about not getting to sit and watch the fights in the lobby while hooting and making rude sexually-tinged comments via IRC. :reject:

There was 2 slots open its just that no one accepted my offer of slot for forums upgrade. Idk why...

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I didn't go 0-2 and I got to play The Shuma Guy in casuals. That's a personal victory.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Glad I could be there to give you a win. Also, my confusion in starting was due to the fact that I've never used IRC, so it took me a bit to figure out. That said, I need to practice some more. I think I managed to pull off one combo that whole tournament.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
Maybe I should change my name from BumbleChump to BumbleChamp.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Nonbaka posted:

Glad I could be there to give you a win. Also, my confusion in starting was due to the fact that I've never used IRC, so it took me a bit to figure out. That said, I need to practice some more. I think I managed to pull off one combo that whole tournament.

I was probably worse than you are now a few months ago. Just stick to characters that are intuitive and make sense, and don't be afraid to pick characters that aren't top-tiers to compose your team. Your team made a lot of sense but Doom doesn't make a lot of sense to play (imho) for someone with little fighting game experience, even though he has some great assists, it's kind of strange getting in with him sometimes.

Try picking up Nova! That's a joke, but he was one of the characters that helped make this game really "click" in to place for me, even though I hated him because of the red health gimmick when the game first came out.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of beginners stuff out there but just keep playing and you will get better.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I was probably worse than you are now a few months ago. Just stick to characters that are intuitive and make sense, and don't be afraid to pick characters that aren't top-tiers to compose your team. Your team made a lot of sense but Doom doesn't make a lot of sense to play (imho) for someone with little fighting game experience, even though he has some great assists, it's kind of strange getting in with him sometimes.

Try picking up Nova! That's a joke, but he was one of the characters that helped make this game really "click" in to place for me, even though I hated him because of the red health gimmick when the game first came out.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of beginners stuff out there but just keep playing and you will get better.

Taskmaster has very easy combos, excellent zoning skills, decent projectile invincibility, and insane x-factor damage. Also, the simple nature of his stuff makes it easy to keep his stuff going online.

I pretty much always point new players to him.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
The sad thing is that I can do Doom's footdive combo consistently in training. My lack of experience against other players and playing online had me bumbling like I just picked up the game though. I'm going to try playing online a bit more to try to get used to it and maybe I'll do better next time.

I played some casuals after I was eliminated and had some luck replacing Doom with Wesker. I guess I'm that guy.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

Nonbaka posted:

The sad thing is that I can do Doom's footdive combo consistently in training. My lack of experience against other players and playing online had me bumbling like I just picked up the game though. I'm going to try playing online a bit more to try to get used to it and maybe I'll do better next time.

I played some casuals after I was eliminated and had some luck replacing Doom with Wesker. I guess I'm that guy.

There's nothing wrong with playing Wesker. His biggest flaw is that he is so good everyone has experience against him.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Ybrik, any chance of writing out some of those awesome Spider-Man combos?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Micgael posted:

There's nothing wrong with playing Wesker. His biggest flaw is that he is so good everyone has experience against him.

Yeah, everyone who's played MVC3 enough it just waiting for Weskers to teleport. Even though it's one of his strongest abilities, you need to remember to almost never raw teleport especially if Wesker is anchor and there are no assists left to cover it.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Nonbaka posted:

I'm running into the same problem, I have several good combos with Doom from various places on the stage, but I just can't get good enough confirms with him. I need to practice airdashing after starter footdives but for some reason the timing escapes me.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

I'm running into the same problem, I have several good combos with Doom from various places on the stage, but I just can't get good enough confirms with him. I need to practice airdashing after starter footdives but for some reason the timing escapes me.

With Doom, I usually just hang back and fling projectiles like a housewife standing on a chair and swinging a broom at a mouse in one of those 1960s cartoons.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

With Doom, I usually just hang back and fling projectiles like a housewife standing on a chair and swinging a broom at a mouse in one of those 1960s cartoons.

yeah I do this all the time, and if they get too close I can usually wip out vergils assist which drags them to the other end of the screen.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

that is why foot dive is the king of hit confirms

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Elephunk posted:

Ybrik, any chance of writing out some of those awesome Spider-Man combos?

You don't want my spider-man combos, they are from June last year. Today's Spider-men use multiple web-swings and some such.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Anyone up for some games 360 or ps3?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone got any clue on how to watch SBO? It's going on right now and I have no idea how to watch it.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Anyone got any clue on how to watch SBO? It's going on right now and I have no idea how to watch it.

Start reading from here and save yourself $30. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3236147&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=493#post406219793

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Ybrik posted:

You don't want my spider-man combos, they are from June last year. Today's Spider-men use multiple web-swings and some such.

Yes I do, please, write one out! The corner one!

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Elephunk posted:

Yes I do, please, write one out! The corner one!

Well my bnb is c.lmh l spideyswing j.mms j.lmmhs s.mh h spidersting/bite skrull assist m webthrow(I do l webthrow if damage scaling hasn't kicked in yet) s.h then ultimate webthrow/crawler assault or spidersting if they know how to get out of ultimate web throw.

If they get hit by uwt then the combo is jump webzip down j.h s.mh h spidersting/bite c.h s mmh h spideyswing mms skrull assist l webthrow and then crawler assault if they're thor.

Edit: The italics part is my raw spidersting combo so omit that since there isn't enough hitstun to go around.

Also thats ugly as poo poo does anybody remember the link to the goon combo annotations?

Dren posted:

Anyone up for some games 360 or ps3?

Thoughts on my new team chemistry? Also please don't mention my third character its a surprise for Bumble Chump on Thursday.

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 4, 2012

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ybrik posted:

Thoughts on my new team chemistry? Also please don't mention my third character its a surprise for Bumble Chump on Thursday.
Oh man, I was playing a spidey when I got your game invite. I know he had Dormammu dark hole... can't remember his other assist but his style was more oppressive than yours. I almost didn't play you because I wasn't sure I could take additional spider-man salt. A key difference between your styles was that you sometimes go to the top of the screen to call an assist offscreen while doing a side switch (solid tactic). This dude didn't do that. He stayed in my face the entire time, constantly barraging me with overheads, lows and side switches while keeping me locked down with assists.

Anyway, your new team works pretty well. You get pretty decent lockdown from the assist. The assist itself has its problems but I'm sure you know what those are. Imo, the biggest issue with your game is that your spidey falls apart a little bit when your lockdown patterns are evaded. Like, you will throw out unsafe web throws or actually get caught in drones for a moment. Maybe that was just a problem for you against me because I so rarely managed to get out and hit you. Something you did really well in a few games was make sure you kept me in the corner which made your spiderman stuff way harder to deal with.

Of your whole team I'd say Skrull is doing the least for you. I didn't feel as pressured when I was fighting him. I think it's because he doesn't use the assist the same way spidey does. Spidey has web zip, web ball, and web throw to back up the assist and keep me locked down until the assist connects and locks me down. Skrull doesn't really have any bullshit to make me stand there and get hit by the assist. Plus, even if he does get me locked down what's he gonna do for a mixup besides that square dash followed by the down + H move?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I haven't quite gotten used to using skrull with racer X but its pretty much a free grab if you're on the ground when I call him out. I need to check the block stun/set the dummy to try and jump but really you're like the second person I've played with that team and when I would use skrull I'm so used to anchor skrull I was kinda :downs:. But Skrull/racer X synergy is actually the reason I added him I just gotta grind it out till I get my patient skrull back. He makes random meteor smashes safe and comboable if the distances are right his down h and charge s too.

Anyways thanks for your feedback. I gotta grind out his combo's too I miss Tasky's normals already.

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 4, 2012

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ybrik posted:

I haven't quite gotten used to using skrull with racer X but its pretty much a free grab if you're on the ground when I call him out. I need to check the block stun/set the dummy to try and jump but really you're like the second person I've played with that team and when I would use skrull I'm so used to anchor skrull I was kinda :downs:. But Skrull/racer X synergy is actually the reason I added him I just gotta grind it out till I get my patient skrull back. He makes random meteor smashes safe and comboable if the distances are right his down h and charge s too.

Anyways thanks for your feedback. I gotta grind out his combo's too I miss Tasky's normals already.

I don't play Skrull but his moveset seems designed to do what you're describing, keep people at midrange so's he can surprise them with the hitbox size of rolling hook, command grab them, and hit them with ambiguous meteor smashes. One move he has that seems to suck is stone dunk. That thing has the worst hitbox/size of graphic ratio. It looks like it will hit the whole screen and it actually hits... pretty much nothing. For how long it takes to charge up it deserves more. I was gonna recommend that you do random meteor smashes w/ racer X assist instead of air dash down H all the time but I don't play Skrull so I didn't want to tell you what to do. Racer X's assist seems PERFECT for Skrull's command grab. If you can get the assist out at the right range I think it's a guaranteed grab whether they block it or not.

I don't know why you were using random Orbital Grudge so much. One time you baited me into Happy Happy Trigger w/ Deadpool then did Death Penalty, which was nice. Other than that I was kinda like "lol random grudge".

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I fell in love with orbital grudge cause it has super armor and is pretty safe(I never actually do the one thats safe). Also Stone dunk is pretty good the hit box actually matches the graphic unlike in Vanilla but its pretty free to airgrabs so Wolverine/sentinel is not the team to be doing that against. But even with these excuses the answer to why I did anything at a given point in time is my hands did it before I could think about it, sometimes good other times not so much.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I've seen people loop c.m, c.h xx qcb+l~l, df.h with Wesker like 3 or 4 times, but I can't seem to get it more than twice, whenever I go for the third rep the c.m, doesn't connect. I'm trying with shades on. Does having shades off help? Any other tips?

Looking at that Wesker video 2 pages ago, 3 reps seems to be the max and you need around 8 hits or so for the 3rd rep to land.

Does anyone have frame data for Wesker's c.m vs s.m?

Ok I like this one the best so far, M,H xx qcf.H~H (cancel after first hit of H), c.M, c.H, df.H, c.M, c.H,S,M,M,H,S (then just add gun plus assists.) If I used one of the assists to open the character up I skip the df.H because of the increased hit stun deterioration. Overall c.M, c.H, df.H is easier to follow up with c.M or M then qcf+L~L. This is pretty easy execution wise, but I'm pretty sure it's not optimal.

I practice my combos on Zero so it's impossible to get 2 reps of c.M, c.H, df.H because his hit box is too small to be hit with the 3rd rep of c.M to go into launcher.

Safety Scissors fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 5, 2012

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ybrik posted:

I fell in love with orbital grudge cause it has super armor and is pretty safe(I never actually do the one thats safe). Also Stone dunk is pretty good the hit box actually matches the graphic unlike in Vanilla but its pretty free to airgrabs so Wolverine/sentinel is not the team to be doing that against. But even with these excuses the answer to why I did anything at a given point in time is my hands did it before I could think about it, sometimes good other times not so much.

Yeah I don't mean to criticize as if I don't do things sometimes because I did it without thinking about it. Sometimes you use orbital grudge when you're pretty far away from like, Deadpool. That's just asking to be punished while you're in recovery. Skrull's not like Haggar or Hulk where you can use a move like that to bait a punish then cancel to super. It's definitely a bad idea to whiff orbital grudge against Deadpool but I'm pretty sure I could punish it with Wolverine or Sent too.

One of these days I will learn a new character. I feel like Deadpool doesn't really do much for Wolverine. I'm working on Dante for Jam Session at the moment.

^^^^^^^^^^
I assume you want startup frames. Wesker's c.M and s.M are both 8.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Nonbaka posted:

I have this same problem sometimes. Even after playing fighters for the last two years pretty consistently.

Three things I can offer as advice:

1) Keep at it. Don't get discouraged. You'll eventually get used to getting that hit confirm, and you won't get so excited that you mash your combo, or that you panic so much that you flat our freeze up and drop it.

2) Grind those combos. Even though you can do it consistently in training keep going back in there and spending a little bit on it. Do it on different sized characters. You want it to be so habitual that your hands will just do it even if your brain is still trying to process the situation.

3) Realize that when you're online, you're going to just flat out drop poo poo sometimes because it's online. I always thought it was me because I only ever played online for months after the game came out. Once I got to play in person, I tore it up. It was so much better.

Some guys can do those long combos online but they're probably just more experienced. It doesn't matter just get back in there and try to hit it next time.

Hope all of that helps.

So throughout the day I have been booting the game up for a bit to work on Doom's TAC/Marlin Pie/swag combo. I probably spend about 3 hours total. I am getting pretty consistent with it, but just now I had to stop because my loving right index finger is shooting pain through my arm every time I slap those Ls (or S for fly). :(

Working on that combo is so great though. It's like all of the Doom combos I worked on over the last year were individual parts, and now I'm putting the whole thing together.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Every character people use that I don't use is overpowered :colbert:

Also I have noticed that there's been a lot more people using firebrand lately. What's the deal?

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."

Mesothelioma posted:

Every character people use that I don't use is overpowered :colbert:

Also I have noticed that there's been a lot more people using firebrand lately. What's the deal?

He has some decent unblockable set ups, and Zack Bennet makes Firebrand+Dormammu look easy.

He still works too hard for damage, and dies too quickly, though. Just make sure you snap in whatever assist he is using to set up unblockables and laugh your way to the victory screen.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Viscant has a new mailbag post on the Brokentier blog: http://www.brokentier.com/blogs/news/6386054-viscants-mailbag-tiers-teams-and-betting-on-red

His team tier list, Frutsy, playing Vergil, a match breakdown, and Celine Dion are the main topics.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The hitbox people made far and away the best produced combo video of all time for Sentinel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvHn6KhEaYM

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!

Dren posted:

The hitbox people made far and away the best produced combo video of all time for Sentinel:

It's bothering me that they mash sentinel's qcf super. I'm pretty sure mashing does absolutely nothing for that super.

But other than that, that video is really well done.

Edit: I'm a dumbass, and was clearly mistaken and feel like a jerk for wrongly criticizing this awesome tutorial.

Man Cub fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 8, 2012

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Man Cub posted:

It's bothering me that they mash sentinel's qcf super. I'm pretty sure mashing does absolutely nothing for that super.

Plasma Storm is mashable. Hard Drive isn't.

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone interested in playing some casuals? I'm Zarikov on Xbox live.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World

Nate405 posted:

Plasma Storm is mashable. Hard Drive isn't.

And even if a super's not mashable don't be surprised if someone mashes right on the hits or mashes a beat that helps them make the next buffer perfect or something. I know I practice(or warm up/keep warm) my plink dash or trijump inputs in a lot of situations where the inputs are otherwise being eaten.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Dren posted:

And now I sorta want to blow $200 or whatever on an X360 hitbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

CubsWoo posted:

And now I sorta want to blow $200 or whatever on an X360 hitbox.

What do you play on now? I used to be interested in a hitbox but I've been playing on stick so long now that I'm used to it.

• Locked thread