Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoodleMoogle
Mar 21, 2010

Time to die.

McSpanky posted:

http://www.cheatcc.com/pc/vampiretmb.html All the console commands can be found there, my suggestion for quickly getting yourself through any tough area is pretty much a flamethrower and a quickbind to spawn more flamethrower fuel (the flamethrower chews through fuel absurdly quickly). And the ever-popular god mode if you messed up and don't have the most survivable build around, but if you're already using the console codes then you could just reset your stats and respend the points intelligently, anyway.

Thanks a lot. I just switched God mode on for that fight just to get it over with. Time to finish this game and start planning a second playthrough. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Saw this thread on the front page and it gave the push I needed to actually get around to playing this game for the first time. Was cruising around Santa Monica doing various odd jobs for people and now it's 3am and I'm alone in the dark in Ocean House Hotel send help I wasn't ready for this :gonk:

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
It's always nice reading new players' comments on hitting that Hotel for the first time. :) Shame there aren't more spots quite like it.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Watching someones first encounter with Shallowbrook Cradle in Theif 3 is always fun as well, i was sitting behind someone lights off late night when they did it one time and the progression from tense and alert to actually shivering in their seat was impressive.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It was kind of interesting to me in the Ocean House Hotel, I was saving like mad just as a comfort mechanism until the diary told me what the deal was. After that, suddenly I was capable of keeping it together. It wasn't that tension was dissolved, more like just that bit of understanding was all I needed to calm myself.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I've never been a scary movie fan, the hotel didn't scare me too much. It was terrifically well-done though. I loved when things would appear in flashes randomly when the lights would flicker and of course the game does audio tricks really well, with the woman calling every now and then. When the newspaper mentions that the husband or wife could have been responsible, I thought it might take a turn and it turns out the wife ended up losing it in the end.

One thing I've been wondering - so I was one of those idiots who chose to play a Malkavian for my first play-through. It's been fun but I've noticed in the game that there is talk of other Malkavians hearing voices and of course that's their schtick but I haven't heard any voices in the game except on very rare occasion during dialogue, I'll hear a very quiet voice say something like "eeeevil" or whatever, and it's so quiet I can barely make it out. I also hear odd things hear and there like the sounds of a person stuck in a box or something. Should I be hearing the voices more often/louder, does it happen more as the game goes on, or what?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Nah, the hallucinated voices thing is pretty rare. It only crops up during dialogue with a few people and then sometimes you'll be able to hear bits and pieces of gibberish while sneaking around. It's not supposed to be front and center but rather just a little extra detail. If you've got the unofficial patch installed there's a transcript of all the whispers in the 'extras' folder I believe, if you want to check it out.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Vectorwulf posted:

It's always nice reading new players' comments on hitting that Hotel for the first time. :) Shame there aren't more spots quite like it.

Naw, I think it works cause you don't expect it. Up to that point you've just been playing a solid but otherwise typical action RPG and then get thrust into a horror scene. It comes out of nowhere and that makes it unexpected cause youre not prepared for it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Between that and the house and the observatory (which is a different kind of scary) I think the game has enough straight up creepy stuff. It's enough to put you on edge and make you a little more wary when you end up in the cemetery or one of the various sewers or the burnt out building or the Elizabeth Dane or any number of places that could've been hotel-esque but weren't. V:TM - B isn't a horror game. It's an RPG in a horror setting. If it had tried to be a horror game 100% of the time I don't think the Hotel would've been as memorable and more importantly I don't think the game would've been as fun.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Oceanview works for the exact same reason Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3 works - you're not expecting it, and it plays off how the game's been structured up to that point to totally pull the rug out from under you. Shalebridge is completely harmless until you turn the lights on, meaning you spend half the level lurking in the shadows making GBS threads your pants over nothing and the rest with your stealth robbed from you, while Oceanview has no tangible threats to attack or talk down and can only actually hurt you in a few spots, while pitting you against a threat a vampire has no defenses against. It's an environmental, seemingly omnipresent threat in a game where almost every threat has a face to schmooze or smash or at least run away from.

The mansion has a whole lot of things to kill, and thus is less scary in the crushing dread sense you get from Oceanview or Shalebridge, but is creepier in the sense that you're walking through what's essentially a physical reflection of Grout's encroaching insanity, the place getting more disjointed and nonsensical as you keep finding his recordings documenting his descent into madness until you find his roasted body and Nora Freeze style wife-in-a-jar.

The observatory has the unstoppable, unreasonable threat of Oceanview bundled up in a very, very physical package, thus making it much more viscerally terrifying as you're running for your unlife from a living wrecking ball desperately trying to find somewhere it can't just smash into, and then just trying to outrun it until time runs out. Once you know you can crush it in the shutters, though, it becomes a lot less frightening.

I think the sewers were trying to go for a feeling of dread and hopelessness at how lost you get and the endless tides of warped abominations, but all it does is make the player want to strangle the developers and go looking for how to activate noclip.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Sorry, should've slightly clarified things: by house I mean the house where the snuff film was made. The house made of flesh. That's "body horror" if anything is.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Oh, yeah, that was pretty disturbing too. I totally forgot about that part.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Personally I liked the sidequest with the prosthetics dude too. It's short, but the progression of normal bounty quest to what the gently caress is pretty entertaining. I also like it because it doesn't involve vampires or the supernatural at all, just a hosed up guy that does hosed up things trying to gently caress you up with a human arm. Which I then get to keep and hit people with.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Ah yes, how could I forget him?

That quest and the hotel quest are two of my favorite things in the game even though I typically hate horror in games. I hate horror because I don't really enjoy being scared and because I'm a wimp of the highest degree (I made it all the way to the first enemy in Doom 3, shot him before he turned into a zombie, and quit the game). The prosthetics dude and the hotel I actually enjoy, though, because for me they take on an entirely different feeling. I'm playing as a vampire, and basically I'm a badass whenever I'm fighting anyone other than vast unearthly abominations or other vampires or werewolves or something. The wacko serial killer and the ghost throwing cutlery at me are both scary in one sense, but in another sense they're rendered almost harmless by my supernatural powers, in the same way that a lot of guns are trivialized.

In the same way I can take on a whole group of gang members just by leaping onto them and sucking their blood out, I feel like I can deal with what would normally be SUPER TERRIFYING ("get out" just appeared on the wall in blood?) because it probably can't hurt me. Even the first time through, when you don't know the serial killer is just a serial killer, and when you're not sure the ghost in the hotel is just a ghost, there's still that feeling of empowerment. I think for most people it doesn't even kick in, because the hotel scares the gently caress out of them, but for me it's the only reason I could get through that level and it also lent it a very different feeling than most horror games.

What's also funny is that you could say the same thing about Doom 3, because Mr. Doom Marine blows away everybody he meets, but it's not really my powers as game protagonist that alter the way the horror plays out but more the setting in which I'm a badass.

None of that was even very spoilery, I'm not sure why I bothered redacting it. Oh well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Daeren posted:

Oceanview works for the exact same reason Shalebridge Cradle from Thief 3 works - you're not expecting it, and it plays off how the game's been structured up to that point to totally pull the rug out from under you. Shalebridge is completely harmless until you turn the lights on, meaning you spend half the level lurking in the shadows making GBS threads your pants over nothing and the rest with your stealth robbed from you, while Oceanview has no tangible threats to attack or talk down and can only actually hurt you in a few spots, while pitting you against a threat a vampire has no defenses against. It's an environmental, seemingly omnipresent threat in a game where almost every threat has a face to schmooze or smash or at least run away from.

The absolute cruelest part of Oceanview is when you see an enemy that vanishes when it goes behind some scenery. "Finally, something tangible I can do something with--where'd he go...?"

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

("get out" just appeared on the wall in blood?)

Something Awful has ruined this part of the game for me forever. I can't play that part without seeing :frogout:.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Ah yes, how could I forget him?

That quest and the hotel quest are two of my favorite things in the game even though I typically hate horror in games. I hate horror because I don't really enjoy being scared and because I'm a wimp of the highest degree (I made it all the way to the first enemy in Doom 3, shot him before he turned into a zombie, and quit the game). The prosthetics dude and the hotel I actually enjoy, though, because for me they take on an entirely different feeling. I'm playing as a vampire, and basically I'm a badass whenever I'm fighting anyone other than vast unearthly abominations or other vampires or werewolves or something. The wacko serial killer and the ghost throwing cutlery at me are both scary in one sense, but in another sense they're rendered almost harmless by my supernatural powers, in the same way that a lot of guns are trivialized.

In the same way I can take on a whole group of gang members just by leaping onto them and sucking their blood out, I feel like I can deal with what would normally be SUPER TERRIFYING ("get out" just appeared on the wall in blood?) because it probably can't hurt me. Even the first time through, when you don't know the serial killer is just a serial killer, and when you're not sure the ghost in the hotel is just a ghost, there's still that feeling of empowerment. I think for most people it doesn't even kick in, because the hotel scares the gently caress out of them, but for me it's the only reason I could get through that level and it also lent it a very different feeling than most horror games.

What's also funny is that you could say the same thing about Doom 3, because Mr. Doom Marine blows away everybody he meets, but it's not really my powers as game protagonist that alter the way the horror plays out but more the setting in which I'm a badass.

None of that was even very spoilery, I'm not sure why I bothered redacting it. Oh well.

Being familiar with the WOD fluff I spent most of Oceanview going 'Er, I'm a bloodsucker. Ghosts ain't poo poo man' and it's the one thing for me that entirely stopped that place being scary. On the other hand, the fact that the game let me get that into character in the first place is proof of quality in itself.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw, I think it works cause you don't expect it. Up to that point you've just been playing a solid but otherwise typical action RPG and then get thrust into a horror scene. It comes out of nowhere and that makes it unexpected cause youre not prepared for it.

This is pretty much what got me. I honestly hadn't been that impressed by the game up until Oceanview, though some of the dialogue had made me grin, and I think the surprise of a level that was really atmospheric caught me unprepared. It kind of fell apart if you just ran through it and didn't let it play to its strengths, though - it turns into a level full of obnoxious furniture and doors that open too slowly. Thoroughly recommend taking that level slow and soaking it in.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

I didn't think the Oceanview Hotel was scary. Well, right up until The lady ghost runs across the hall in the basement. I'm just a sucker for jump scares like that so I spent the rest of the level in "Ghostbusters Mode" doing sarcastic commentary to make me feel better. "Who throws a phone? Honestly!"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
When the kitchenware just starts going like popcorn I actually laughed a bit.

AggsOfSpades
Sep 5, 2011
I remember playing through Ocean House the first time and basically barking at the sounds. I was a cocky Brujah and not scared of lamps. Then I found the drawing. It gave me pause. The lights went out and I admitted that the game had got me good. Then I looked up to see GET OUT written across the wall and lost what remained of my cockiness. Then an elevator fell on me.

Good times.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's a fine line between "I am an adult trying to do a creepy kid sort of thing" and "holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo, that's creepy", and that drawing is firmly on the latter side.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I still give love to the Beach House, the first real mission.

The whole premise reeks of noir paranoia, seeking retribution for an already sketchy guy who you found bleeding and beat the poo poo up by a drug dealer.

The house is laid out like a regular rear end house, not some unrealistic video game mansion. At this point, you really have no idea how powerful you are in combat, and there were gangsters all lingering about, watching TV or just smoking. Could I sneak in, seduce the fat guy, or would it have to get ugly? I dunno, I liked the realistic tension and seemingly many ways to go about it. Then you realize, hell I "maybe I can take on a few measly humans with guns."

The game is most tense if you play with the attitude "I don't want to hurt you, but I will" :clint:

Like in the Ocean House, nervously gripping on your weapon but not actually using it.

In Fallout New Vegas, that tension of fight or peace wasn't quite there, I always knew without enough speech skill there'd be another solution (often reached with hammy dialogue)

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 3, 2012

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Beat this game for the first time today. Something kind of odd happened after I met nines in the luckee star after he ripped the werewolf's head off. Is this supposed to show up? (probably a spoiler)
http://i.imgur.com/srC23.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iqSpd.jpg
It was doing that ridiculous flailing dance that you see in all the clubs.

e:VV That's there also. This is an entirely different (and far more funky) werewolf

CatBlack fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 3, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

DeadBlack posted:

Beat this game for the first time today. Something kind of odd happened after I met nines in the luckee star after he ripped the werewolf's head off. Is this supposed to show up? (probably a spoiler)

That's either a mod or a glitch. Only the werewolf's head should be there, and it should be on the bed.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
That's a very uh, unique, glitch. I have had glitches after installing the mod as well but none of them were this interesting.

For me, saving, exiting the game then restarting and loading solved the issues I had.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

AggsOfSpades posted:

Then an elevator fell on me.

This still kills me at least once per run. :smith:

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

TheRagamuffin posted:

This still kills me at least once per run. :smith:

I don't think that has ever got me. I always think "oh hey, elevator shaft, something is going to try to gently caress me up" by default.

And I never actually knew that Nines WASN'T supposed to be there in the Luckee Star.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Well this thread got me to re-install yet again. Playing as a Toreador this time, pretty much maxed out Firearms and Celerity before hitting Hollywood and tearing poo poo up.

I got this when it came out and remember being blown away with it and funnily enough I don't actually recall that many bugs - Perhaps I was more willing to put up with that kind of crap back then! Although I remember it being a bit of a slog at the end and a brief glance at the Wiki shows me there is a lot of stuff I missed first time around.

Regarding scary parts: Ocean View is certainly atmospheric and there are a couple of jumps but I never found it really scary, because I'm a fuckin' vampire! I was literally the most frightening thing in that whole building. But I've just got onto the snuff film part and I loving hate those little two-legged demon things. Ugh.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It's Ocean House, not Ocean View. Why are multiple people making this mistake?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Fuzz posted:

It's Ocean House, not Ocean View. Why are multiple people making this mistake?

Because I'm an idiot! Happy?

I dunno, maybe it just sounds a bit more hotel-y? It's the Overlook really, anyway.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I got gifted this game during the summer sale, and I was not prepared for the Ocean House at all. I was wearing a headset and wandering around the hotel whenever something whispered, "HES COMING" into my ear and I lost my poo poo. I came out of my chair so fast I went back in time.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

In Hollywood and I've just encountered a bug with the mission where you have to kill the vampire hunter who is posing as a stripper in the peep show. I went down there to check it out and she was there, doing the crazy arm flailing dance. I needed to increase my lockpick so did some other stuff, got some experience, came back and now she is nowhere to be seen. Is there any way I can spawn her or mark her as killed/quest complete so that I can go back and get my reward and start the next quest?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

DeadBlack posted:

e:VV That's there also. This is an entirely different (and far more funky) werewolf

can you take a video of that?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCpLWkHIJ-E (Enemy/Boss spoiler)

For anyone that cares, I have the steam version + the wesp5 8.1 patch.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
1) That is amazing. One of the best bugs to ever occur in anything, ever.

2) I find it remarkable that you asked "Is this supposed to show up?" I guess it goes to show that pretty much nothing is too outlandish for this game: they've done such a great job of incorporating the myriad supernatural elements into a coherent whole that even something like this doesn't immediately trigger your "something's wrong" detector. The game gets us to swallow things like vampires so totally that even something obviously out of place causes a "should this be here" reaction rather than a "this shouldn't be here" reaction.

AggsOfSpades
Sep 5, 2011

DeadBlack posted:

It'd be great to see people try to keep up the Masquerade after that.

"Oh, it was just a hologram for that new movie: Funkenstien vs the Werewolf"

AggsOfSpades fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 6, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DeadBlack posted:

I've seen a lot of outlandish bugs in this game but oh my god this is fantastic.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I think I just laughed for like 20 minutes. Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

DeadBlack posted:

This is beautiful.

• Locked thread