Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Did somebody say they like turbo domestics?

Talk me out of buying this besides the fact carbed 79 turbo v6 is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nathan Explosion posted:

I had an '89 for my first car. I know that if it has the airbag suspension you'll have to swap it over to struts and springs, and they love to destroy cv boots for some reason. Besides that it was pretty reliable. Keep in mind that parts are pretty rare.

Yeah that engine was only in one other Subaru and I'm not really sure how many of those are still around.

It would be a really fun project if you want to be the guy with the car noone else has, but you're gonna run into problems with interior parts and whatnot. Rockauto seems to have most of the internals available, so that should be covered for the most part. A long block is only $2k!

edit

who is spain posted:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/3171569040.html

I've always liked these cars, especially with the manual. What are the chances this just needs a clutch cable and not the clutch?

Do you know any mechanics that'll do house calls? That'd be your best option, better than towing it away and then finding out you need to do a whole bunch of work. A 5spd SHO is pretty drat cool, but they aren't the most reliable cars around and will cost you some money even if you're doing the work yourself.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 31, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

So anyone who's not a complete loving moron wouldn't sell something with any chance of moving under its own power again for $500 or less.

I've had two cars that I've sold / attempted to sell that could move under their own power, but one went for scrap money and the other was donated.

'88 Volvo 240: Ran and drove well enough, but very rough around the edges and gave me fits trying to get it through emissions. Got under $250 for it but at least the people who bought it were still driving it as of two years ago when it came up for emissions again (and gave them fits too). Has 30k more on the clock, no less.

'95 Saturn SL1: Also ran and drove under its own power but had a transmission on its way out and couldn't accelerate fast enough to pass the emissions test it needed. After no takers at $500 my mom decided to just donate it instead.

commissargribb posted:

People keep posting "4.0 Cylinder" motor or engine in their Jeep ads. Is it a 4 cylinder or a 4.0?

:iiam:

Let's be honest, an AMC I6 would still keep running on 3.5 cylinders. Don't ask how they manage to run on half a cylinder, it's an AMC.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Joe Mama posted:

Basically yes. After working at a Honda dealer for a while I learned how stupidly easy they were to steal. There are actually quite a few vehicles out there that are easy to steal even today. Where I work we have a few Colorados and those things would be fairly easy to steal after I figured out how the ignition 'security' works.

I saw a kid in HS start his old Civic with a popsicle stick.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
I had a friend with a 90's windstar like that, except you didn't even need a popsicle stick because it had one of those extra wingnut-shaped shrouds around the ignition so all you had to do was turn the shroud. You could optionally stick something in the key hole if you desired but it was not required.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I love how mentioning James Dean crashed one (the real one, not a kit car) is some sort of selling feature.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

I love how mentioning James Dean crashed one (the real one, not a kit car) is some sort of selling feature.

Crashed and died, not just crashed. I am sure this one built in a garage out of chicken wire and body putty is safer though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3156645186.html

1988 Yugo with a ~325hp V8

Jalopnik answered the most obvious question here: "because meth"

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

That's gotta smell wonderful while driving.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kenshin posted:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/3156645186.html

1988 Yugo with a ~325hp V8

Jalopnik answered the most obvious question here: "because meth"

I would love to see how the drive train is set up in that thing, especially considering since it looks like the flywheel would be right at the very, very back of the car.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Maybe it's like one of those Indonesian shallow-draft river boats with the 10' pivoting driveshaft.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It's got a Toronado (FWD V8) drivetrain in it. The link has a picture of the rear, you can see the transmission sticking out of the panel.

By the way the Toronado transmission is one of the most WTF designs ever. Seriously not sure who was smoking what at GM when they green-lighted a full size, V8 powered, FWD car in the 60's. :psyduck:

e: I know it's strong as all gently caress, no denying that. It just seems like the answer to a question nobody asked.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 1, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So, 4500 rpm redline and about 175hp SAE net then? :downs:

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

commissargribb posted:

People keep posting "4.0 Cylinder" motor or engine in their Jeep ads. Is it a 4 cylinder or a 4.0?

:iiam:

As a Jeep owner this has always bothered me more than it should. People claim its a 4 cylidner 4.0, or if theyre smart enough to know what 4.0 means they then call it a v6. Whats frustrating is that during the Cherokee's long producton run, it did come with 4cyls and v6s, but they are of course not the I6 4.0 :argh:

Edit: For the above superYugo. There is no way that motor is pushing 325hp.
Also i thought the Eldorado was the first FWD v8 that GM made? am i wrong?
As for why: NEW AND EXCITING, BE THE FIRST TO OWN THIS KIND OF CAR!

Raw_Beef fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 1, 2012

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The FWD Toronado came out in 1966, the Eldorado switched to FWD the next year.

who is spain
Oct 28, 2010

Raw_Beef posted:

Also i thought the Eldorado was the first FWD v8 that GM made? am i wrong?

The Toronado came out in 66, the Eldorado became FWD on a shared platform in 67. Apparently the Riviera also shared that platform but was still RWD until 79 [1].

[1] Wikipedia, 2012

^^^ drat it all

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That sure is a testament to the fact that if it has 4 wheels and a VIN you can drive it on Michigan's roads legally.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

slidebite posted:

I would love to see how the drive train is set up in that thing, especially considering since it looks like the flywheel would be right at the very, very back of the car.

As said by others it was an FWD setup, so its pretty much a cut and shove job. There really isn't a whole lot of fab work going on here.

The new setup of choice for these "toss an engine in the back" hackjobs are the 3.5/3.3/3.2 drivetrain from the LH Chrysler cars for the same reasons as the FWD GM V8s of the 70's, and TONS sitting in junkyards for dirt cheap...

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Mighty Horse posted:

As said by others it was an FWD setup, so its pretty much a cut and shove job. There really isn't a whole lot of fab work going on here.

The new setup of choice for these "toss an engine in the back" hackjobs are the 3.5/3.3/3.2 drivetrain from the LH Chrysler cars for the same reasons as the FWD GM V8s of the 70's, and TONS sitting in junkyards for dirt cheap...

Welp, I know what I am doing with the abandoned 300M special sitting at the shop now!

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

The world needs more classy limo services. I wonder what the deal was with the light bars though...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

lazer_chicken posted:

I had a friend with a 90's windstar like that, except you didn't even need a popsicle stick because it had one of those extra wingnut-shaped shrouds around the ignition so all you had to do was turn the shroud. You could optionally stick something in the key hole if you desired but it was not required.

FEATURES:
-Keyless Ignition!

:haw:

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3176175035.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3148270901.html

I'm looking for an old crappy truck for around 1500 or less. Should I try to low ball either of these two gentlemen?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Black Cat posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3176175035.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3148270901.html

I'm looking for an old crappy truck for around 1500 or less. Should I try to low ball either of these two gentlemen?

No, you should find something better for that under $1500.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/3159522075.html

Unfortunately the ad itself has some bad image placement, but I can paste the text in case it gets sold or whatever....

quote:

I am selling my Subaru Impreza with a fully swapped JDM STI drivetrain.

This is not a scam, you can call me at NUMBER any time with any question.

Here are the details:
Engine:
EJ20K complete swap 1997 sti (EJ20KD5ED)
eBay FMIC
Cold air intake using the giant ej20k MAF
New plugs and wires
Full catless 3" turbo back exhaust
3" up-pipe
Poly engine mounts

Transmission:
TY752VBCAA complete swap (1997 4.44 sti 5-speed transmission)
Poly transmission mount
Lightweight Flywheel
ACT stage 2 clutch

Brakes/Wheels/Suspension:
Subaru 4-pots with Brembo pads and rotors
Steel braided lines
17" super light aluminum wheels wrapped with falken 205/40/zr17 all season tires
D2 fully Adjustable Coilovers
JDM STI Carbon fiber front strut bar
Rear strut Bar

Exterior:
Siebon carbon fiber RS hood
99RS front bumper with no name fog covers
JDM replica front lip
OEM RS side skirts side skirts
JDM rear spats
Shaved side moldings
Wingless trunk
Amber corners
HID's

Interior:
Full 02 WRX seat swap
Blue STI carpet
JDM Cluster
JDM steering wheel, or currently installed an NRG quick release setup
Nice stereo, tasteful.

I know it's mad tyte JDM'd, but I'll be damned if I don't want it. I miss my subie. :(

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3171390999.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

That poor car. On the upside it looks like he did an explorer head swap.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I dunno, get rid of those tailights and I would probably drive it unironically.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3178944732.html

Bonus crackhead content: http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/3125944290.html

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I would totally buy that, but not for even half what his meth-addled mind thinks he can get out of it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Just add Coyote swap and be the coolest AI hipster ever. Like a mustang but classy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

I'm pretty sure I went to High School with this person.

Which makes me sad as it tells everyone I use to live in Logan County.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

This person is either a complete idiot or trying to commit insurance fraud

This guy deserves to have his car "stolen" and then parked somewhere where it will be towed and impounded.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/3176195322.html

best homemade ute I've seen in a long time, and the price is right too

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Screenshot for the above ad:

Really cool and well done Accord Ute. Someone buy this and swap an H22 or something in it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/3179890942.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

If there's no rust issues that isn't a bad deal at all.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It has rust issues by squinting at those pics.

That is a very rare car. I've always preferred the 85.5+ front end as that looks like a frog, but I can't remember the last time I saw one. Has to be more than 10 years ago now.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Terrible Robot posted:

Screenshot for the above ad:

Really cool and well done Accord Ute. Someone buy this and swap an H22 or something in it.

Holy poo poo, it's an Accrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That EXP would be a great project. They fall under that umbrella of special edition cars in the 80's that noone bothered to preserve and might end up being collectable in another ten years just because so few are left.

Also, the EXP was pretty cool (second gen specifically).

Elephanthead posted:

Just add Coyote swap and be the coolest AI hipster ever. Like a mustang but classy.

Nah, it would have to be a Fairmont (wagon) for that.