Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
:ughh:

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-Hot-wheels-for-big-boys-W0QQAdIdZ399806142

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wait, 88 Mustang 302 engine? Does that even exist or did he mistype "V8"?

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why would a 5L windsor not exist?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

WHY THE gently caress DOES HE MENTION EVERYTHING BUT THE MOTOR?!?!

You can't seriously make 400hp from a Miata by just slapping a bigger turbo on it can you?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kenshin posted:

Wait, 88 Mustang 302 engine? Does that even exist or did he mistype "V8"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Windsor_engine

I think '88 was the last of the MAP based EFI 302's

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 27, 2012

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ohhhhhh. I though he'd implied he got it out of a 302 Mustang, which certainly were not produced in 1988. That makes much more sense.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kenshin posted:

Ohhhhhh. I though he'd implied he got it out of a 302 Mustang, which certainly were not produced in 1988. That makes much more sense.

You mean the Boss 302? There were certainly 302 mustangs in 88, but the Boss was produced in 1970 (1969?) and the new boss 302 is just the new Coyote 5L motor.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You mean the Boss 302? There were certainly 302 mustangs in 88, but the Boss was produced in 1970 (1969?) and the new boss 302 is just the new Coyote 5L motor.
Huh, that must have been what I looked up. I've never been able to keep track of all gazillion varieties of Mustang.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You can't seriously make 400hp from a Miata by just slapping a bigger turbo on it can you?

For about 500RPM before you hit spark cut. :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Maker Of Shoes posted:

For about 500RPM before you hit spark cut. :v:

I was thinking more for about 2 seconds before the motor explodes.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

quote:

"Doesn't matter where you go people ask alot of questions."

"Can I set it on fire??

"Don't you feel like a douche while driving it?"

"Would you mind if I drop this grand piano on top?"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Micromancer posted:

Those Novas seem reasonably priced for such a desirable year.

Yeah no doubt, you could clean those up a bit and make a few grand in a week. Those are easily the most sought-after Novas.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was thinking more for about 2 seconds before the motor explodes.

They are one in the same.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Dang ol mean boss.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Why in gods name did he start with the motor from a 94-97 instead of the (far better) motor the car came with.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FatCow posted:

Why in gods name did he start with the motor from a 94-97 instead of the (far better) motor the car came with.

I don't know if you saw his seat belt pads, but they say Mazdaspeed on them and that means that it's official.

Spammit
Sep 17, 2007

FatCow posted:

Maybe i'm missing something here, but didn't the 94-97 models come with a 1.8? Also, i think thats a really well done miata.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Dang ol mean boss.

Ha, I've owned 2 99 Devilles and I can almost certainly say it has a blown head gasket.

However, if everything else were good on the car, and it was pretty low miles, like around 100k, $500 would be a decent price...IF you were able to find someone to replace the head gasket and do a proper timesert job, which would run you around $3k. Not "$50-$175."

But then you'd have a $4000-$7000 dollar car for $3500, which ain't too dang bad. For example, my regular 99 Deville that I bought with 66k miles was $5500, and the 99 Deville Concours I had before that had a little over 100k miles. I bought it for $4000, and when it got wrecked the insurance company valued it for like $6000. A D'Elegance is probably worth more, if it's in good condition.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Astroman posted:

However, if everything else were good on the car, and it was pretty low miles, like around 100k, $500 would be a decent price

You do realize that $500 is scrap value for something that size, regardless of condition. So anyone who's not a complete loving moron wouldn't sell something with any chance of moving under its own power again for $500 or less.

Yeah...the used car and scrap market have made things wonky, but this is the new reality: get used to it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Motronic posted:

You do realize that $500 is scrap value for something that size, regardless of condition. So anyone who's not a complete loving moron wouldn't sell something with any chance of moving under its own power again for $500 or less.

Yeah...the used car and scrap market have made things wonky, but this is the new reality: get used to it.

True, but he could be a complete loving moron. :haw:

Or maybe he's in a financial circumstance where he just can't afford to hold on to it or have it looked at. I once scrapped a car I'd bought for cheap because it poo poo the bed with transmission issues an hour from my house. Could have been a cheap fix (but probably wasn't) and I'd have had to pay to tow it home or to a garage, and I was literally too poor to do that much less fix it.

He probably knows what a pain and expense Northstar headgasket jobs are, and he doesn't figure anybody would want to bother.

But he may also have run the engine into the ground. When I got my headgasket done, the problem had just manifested and the engine was in great shape. A buyer would be indeed taking a chance. They could need a whole new engine, and that is even more expensive. There's a ton of late 90s Cadillacs out there for low prices, and they are almost always ones where the seller is trying to gloss over a headgasket issue. And if not, any buyer should know one could hit at any time.

Besides that though, it's a really good car. If someone is willing to take that chance, I still recommend it. And everyone says that if you get the timesert job done the headgasket will probably be good for the life of the engine.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Motronic posted:

So anyone who's not a complete loving moron wouldn't sell something with any chance of moving under its own power again for $500 or less.

Do you actually write like this, or are you just trying to make my brain hurt?

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Here are a couple winners:

http://cenla.craigslist.org/cto/3130249556.html

http://cenla.craigslist.org/cto/3139876547.html

http://cenla.craigslist.org/cto/3166163046.html

http://cenla.craigslist.org/cto/3134420301.html

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^
Can anybody tell me what this is and why, other than the transmission, it wouldn't be attractive?

This is basically exactly what I'm going to be looking for, but with a manual transmission. A 5-series wagon, preferably white.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/3126737637.html

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Please take screenshots of anything you post. It sucks to look back in the thread and only see everyone talking about how funny something is but not be able to see it.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

salt the fries! posted:

Can anybody tell me what this is and why, other than the transmission, it wouldn't be attractive?
=

I see nothing wrong with it other than the tranny. And it's just a 528, not a 540.

Misplaced Yankee
Jan 29, 2009

MATLAB 1988 posted:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3125802540.html posted:

'87 Subaru XT GL with only 62K miles! Only one owner prior to myself, and the original sticker is still in the glove box. Interior is in good shape for an '87 model. Two new front tires. Great commuter car. IT'S GOT TO GO!

FOR SALE @ $1,900 OBO! MAKE AN OFFER!

1800 cc engine
Automatic transmission
Automatic windows
A/C (needs repair)
Power windows
Power side mirrors
Power steering (slow leak)

Bolt up* an EJ22t and WRX brakes/suspension!

Exactly how horrible would this be as a daily driver? It confuses me how I want it for no conceivable reason.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

Method Loser posted:

I see nothing wrong with it other than the tranny. And it's just a 528, not a 540.

Sadly, the tranny is the deal-breaker for me.

What's the deal with the "M edition" though? Is that even any sort of thing?

E: to clarify, obviously it isn't an M5 wagon, but is this some sort of trim-level package or something else? Or nothing?

salt the fries! fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 30, 2012

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Misplaced Yankee posted:

Exactly how horrible would this be as a daily driver? It confuses me how I want it for no conceivable reason.

If it was any closer I'd buy it right now. I've been wanting one of those for ages.

From what I understand they have fewer issues than the SVX, so that's a plus.

salt the fries! posted:

Sadly, the tranny is the deal-breaker for me.

What's the deal with the "M edition" though? Is that even any sort of thing?

E: to clarify, obviously it isn't an M5 wagon, but is this some sort of trim-level package or something else? Or nothing?

Yeah M Edition is a trim package, or he put some stickers on it and called it that.

Misplaced Yankee
Jan 29, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

If it was any closer I'd buy it right now. I've been wanting one of those for ages.

From what I understand they have fewer issues than the SVX, so that's a plus.

It's not that I really want one, it's just that it seems like every time I visit family down in North Carolina I drive a new adventure back. I know nothing about these, how bad of an adventure would I be looking at? Anything in particular to look out for? I have PMs, if this is cluttering up the thread.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

Misplaced Yankee posted:

I had an '89 for my first car. I know that if it has the airbag suspension you'll have to swap it over to struts and springs, and they love to destroy cv boots for some reason. Besides that it was pretty reliable. Keep in mind that parts are pretty rare.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

This person is either a complete idiot or trying to commit insurance fraud

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

This person is either a complete idiot or trying to commit insurance fraud

Wow. I've also driven a theft recovered Neon, which was a friends and I was running some errands with and for him. A key cylinder that can pop out is a weird thing to deal with man. But this doesn't even have that.

Considering the dealings I've had with some people lately, I'm going with complete idiot, who thinks he got lucky that the owner kept everything in the glove box.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
People keep posting "4.0 Cylinder" motor or engine in their Jeep ads. Is it a 4 cylinder or a 4.0?

:iiam:

who is spain
Oct 28, 2010
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/3171569040.html

quote:

hey,
i've got a 93 taurus sho for sale. Needs new clutch!!! starts and runs fine, but will not shift into gear when the car is running. pretty good interior for this type. just asking 1000, or just make me an offer. small rust spot on right back wheel well. brakes are good, tires have a lot of tread.

I've always liked these cars, especially with the manual. What are the chances this just needs a clutch cable and not the clutch?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

BetaTested posted:

Wow. I've also driven a theft recovered Neon, which was a friends and I was running some errands with and for him. A key cylinder that can pop out is a weird thing to deal with man. But this doesn't even have that.

Considering the dealings I've had with some people lately, I'm going with complete idiot, who thinks he got lucky that the owner kept everything in the glove box.

I kind of read it more as "hay internet I have a Honda for sale, you can totally start it with a screw driver, btw here's my full address, plz don't steal lol" *wink*

*later*

"Aw man, it was right here last night and now it's gone :( Good thing I kept that full coverage insurance on it, btw I had a brand new iPad and Rolex and my favorite original Picasso in there" *sob*

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Misplaced Yankee posted:

It's not that I really want one, it's just that it seems like every time I visit family down in North Carolina I drive a new adventure back. I know nothing about these, how bad of an adventure would I be looking at? Anything in particular to look out for? I have PMs, if this is cluttering up the thread.

That XT on craigslist has a non-turbo EA82 engine and should have regular shocks/struts, avoiding the major XT issues, besides rust. Before driving it across country, check if it's up to date on maintenance and has been driven this decade. Also, take it to a Subaru mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. Ultimatesubaru.org and subaruxt.com are good sources for information about these.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

Black88GTA posted:

I kind of read it more as "hay internet I have a Honda for sale, you can totally start it with a screw driver, btw here's my full address, plz don't steal lol" *wink*

*later*

"Aw man, it was right here last night and now it's gone :( Good thing I kept that full coverage insurance on it, btw I had a brand new iPad and Rolex and my favorite original Picasso in there" *sob*

Somewhat related; Aren't 1980s Japanese cars extremely easy to steal? My '89 240sx has the factory alarm but I'm still worried about theft.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Basically yes. After working at a Honda dealer for a while I learned how stupidly easy they were to steal. There are actually quite a few vehicles out there that are easy to steal even today. Where I work we have a few Colorados and those things would be fairly easy to steal after I figured out how the ignition 'security' works.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

assfucker420 posted:

Somewhat related; Aren't 1980s Japanese cars extremely easy to steal? My '89 240sx has the factory alarm but I'm still worried about theft.

Yup, a friend in highschool had the same year('87) mr2 that I had, and I could unlock and start his car using my keys. I would park it somewhere different than he left it when I got out of school before him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My '77y Celica could be opened and started with a popsicle stick.