Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

That first link seems a lifetime away now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Tricky Ed posted:

I'd just like to pop in here and tell anyone in charge of naming anything in an ongoing game to never ever name any system "new X," because eventually that thing will no longer be new, and you'll have to replace it.

When you replace it, no one will be able to form a coherent sentence, because the discussions will be full of things like this:

"No, the new system uses old tech. We want to use new tech in the replacement for the new system, but still support the old tech in the legacy new system."
"So the new tech will go in the new system?"
"No, we're replacing the new system entirely. With a newer system."

Also, my dad occasionally cuts out articles from the newspaper and mails them to me with a post-it that says "FYI." These articles usually involve the Wii, because Nintendo is the only game-related name he can remember. It's kind of endearing.

I learned this the hard way on Naked Gun: ICUP. Our current Frank Drebin Jr. sprite exists in a folder called NewFrank. What do I call it if we replace him with a newer version?? NewNewFrank? NewererFrank? NewestestFrank? :v:

v2, v3, v4 etc from now on.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Aliginge posted:

I learned this the hard way on Naked Gun: ICUP. Our current Frank Drebin Jr. sprite exists in a folder called NewFrank. What do I call it if we replace him with a newer version?? NewNewFrank? NewererFrank? NewestestFrank? :v:

v2, v3, v4 etc from now on.

Or the correct answer, use some sort of version control system. :colbert:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

I'd just like to pop in here and tell anyone in charge of naming anything in an ongoing game to never ever name any system "new X," because eventually that thing will no longer be new, and you'll have to replace it.

When you replace it, no one will be able to form a coherent sentence, because the discussions will be full of things like this:

"No, the new system uses old tech. We want to use new tech in the replacement for the new system, but still support the old tech in the legacy new system."
"So the new tech will go in the new system?"
"No, we're replacing the new system entirely. With a newer system."

On the subject of naming stuff, I had a Sad Moment at work the other day when design decided to replace our current naming system(every character has a proper name we can use to refer to them because designs change so 'the blue guy' might be red in a couple weeks and 'the one with the flamethrower' might just have an axe eventually) with a different system that's just as abstract but instead of actual names it's... strings of numbers. Because people outside the character team found names hard to remember or something? Good luck getting anyone to remember the numbers instead, guys :(

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

AntiPseudonym posted:

Or the correct answer, use some sort of version control system. :colbert:
We do but we needed to keep the old one around actively for... Some reason. I forget.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

You know what they say, the two hardest problems in computer science are: cache invalidations, off by one errors, and naming things.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
At least you didn't name it the Source Engine.

Also the hardest problems are heap corruption, thread timing issues, and bugs caused by aliasing optimizations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

OneEightHundred posted:

At least you didn't name it the Source Engine.

Also the hardest problems are heap corruption, thread timing issues, and bugs caused by aliasing optimizations.

gently caress multithreaded applications, they are the worst to debug :suicide:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I think the worst names for things are puns. They are kind of cute the first time, but there's only so many times you'll smile at a PhyreEngine joke. I also dislike unnecessary homophones like that, also.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

crazylakerfan posted:

gently caress multithreaded applications, they are the worst to debug :suicide:

You may have joined the wrong industry at the wrong time... :\

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

DancingMachine posted:

Oh, I know how to debug them, it is just a pain without the right tools. (They never give you the right tools while working on them in college :smith:)

Chainclaw posted:

I think the worst names for things are puns. They are kind of cute the first time, but there's only so many times you'll smile at a PhyreEngine joke. I also dislike unnecessary homophones like that, also.

It took me 2 days to realize that GooeyX, actually meant GuiX :downs:

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Tricky Ed posted:

I present to you my way of dealing with this problem:
cConfigUseFinalLogin
cConfigUseReallyFinalLogin
(There were also no less than 4 different layouts for the login screen)

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Coffee Jones posted:

Here's a question that might have been asked -
I keep hearing "Consoles Are Holding Back Gaming" but, gameplay wise, is this even valid at all?

Was there ever a scenario where a gameplay feature had to be cut because it couldn't be ported to the console, thus changing the game significantly. I'm not talking about number of gibs on a zombie or quality of shadows, but situations fundamental to the game where you're saying

"We simply can't bring this to the console, and because we need feature parity on the console and the PC it needs to be cut from the PC version."

Mass Effect 2 was supposed to let you hire squadmates in any order, but since the Xbox 360 only has DVDs they couldn't fit everyone on the same disc, so they split the squadmates equally between discs so you could only get four in the first half of the game and four in the second. They could've still made them all available from the start but I guess they wanted to minimise disc swapping.

mastermind2004 posted:

I present to you my way of dealing with this problem:
cConfigUseFinalLogin
cConfigUseReallyFinalLogin
(There were also no less than 4 different layouts for the login screen)

On my class project last semester I had to reupload our final code every time we found something to change at the last minute. I went through "<name> final", "<name> final FINAL", then someone else uploaded "<name> final FINAL THIS ONE", and then I added "<name> final submission". After that I stopped uploading them and kept all the files to myself, because then I could name them whatever I wanted.

Category Fun! fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 3, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

DancingMachine posted:

Honestly? No, things are way better now.

The horror of multithreaded debugging is when you've got a lot of equally heavy threads, all doing work, all coupled conditionally at times. That's how we were thinking back in the late 90's and early oughts.

By contrast, the model that hardware and software have migrated to is worker threads. No coupling implied or expressed, simple to dump progress from, and things don't explode quite the same way. Because the work was always treated as a delayed-load asset, your code just waits, instead of exploding.

I... actually don't mind it anywhere near as much as I used to. Engines have gotten way better, and hardware designs have resulted in more logical threading.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Category Fun! posted:

Mass Effect 2 was supposed to let you hire squadmates in any order, but since the Xbox 360 only has DVDs they couldn't fit everyone on the same disc, so they split the squadmates equally between discs so you could only get four in the first half of the game and four in the second. They could've still made them all available from the start but I guess they wanted to minimise disc swapping.
ME2 PC also had the whole "we can't fix Garrus's texture without a multi-gigabyte patch" thing, which was a direct result of resources being structured to minimize slow optical disk seeks.

Shalinor posted:

I... actually don't mind it anywhere near as much as I used to. Engines have gotten way better, and hardware designs have resulted in more logical threading.
The hardware's also become very hostile to cross-thread coordination. The 360 apparently loves memory reordering and I guess SPEs can't talk to each other at all. You pretty much HAVE to use a job system now.

Doing anything other than that is a hilarious debugging nightmare though.

Oh yes and I almost forgot my other favorite class of bug: Bugs that only happen when the debugger isn't running and stop happening if you put log calls anywhere near it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'm quite fond of CPU-GPU shared resource issues. Yeah, unified memory is a huge advantage, but when you start getting mysterious GPU crashes because your CPU isn't running far enough ahead of the GPU and modifies/deletes resources that the GPU is using...

Combine that with a new console that doesn't yet have a GPU debugger of any sort? :suicide:

yAak
Oct 28, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

Oh yes and I almost forgot my other favorite class of bug: Bugs that only happen when the debugger isn't running and stop happening if you put log calls anywhere near it.

Hah, oh yes, who doesn't love these!

I wasted a good few days of madness trying to track a particularly horrible one down in some 3rd party code, and eventually our lead dev. took it over... A week later (of poking at it in his extra time) he found that it was an obscure/rare bug introduced by compiler optimizations in very "special" cases. Running in debug mode or adding logging actually did prevent the bug from occurring.

Yeah, we all felt pretty special.

yAak fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 3, 2012

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Schrödinger's bug

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

I always call those Heisenbugs.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Shalinor posted:

Honestly? No, things are way better now.

The horror of multithreaded debugging is when you've got a lot of equally heavy threads, all doing work, all coupled conditionally at times. That's how we were thinking back in the late 90's and early oughts.

By contrast, the model that hardware and software have migrated to is worker threads. No coupling implied or expressed, simple to dump progress from, and things don't explode quite the same way. Because the work was always treated as a delayed-load asset, your code just waits, instead of exploding.

That's a fair point. On stuff that was architected from the ground up to be multithreaded, it's really not hard. But when you need to retrofit existing tech to be multithreaded... that can be challenging.

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011
You may want to put your drink down before opening this link

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=1062558&page=1&pp=15

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Wait, that guy's serious? I thought it was being posted as satire. :psyduck:

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
Somebody convince him that these forums will be far more receptive to his ideas. Please

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

quote:

Do you know what I good at , good at IDEAS , my friend ...

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
BWHAHAAHH oh man I had a good laugh. Especially the last one, while it was long it basically was dripping with sarcasm.

It had to be an idea guy too.

Guess you can't keep lovely people from modeling :v:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It has to be a troll. Otherwise I have lost all my faith in humanity. The broken English, the idea guy, the horrible model...

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

HAIL LORD ZLATAN posted:

iRock posted:

ALL I WANT IS A JOB , THIS CHARACTER IS MY HOPE , AND WILL BECOME YOUR HOPE IF YOUR GAME STUDIO CAN GIVE ME A JOB .

:psyduck:

Well folks, this man seems like he's going to bring us into a new golden era of video gaming.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

I kinda want to do fanart of it.

INSECT BATTERU all over again.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Revitalized posted:

:psyduck:

Well folks, this man seems like he's going to bring us into a new golden era of video gaming.

I hope someone tells that guy that you're not meant to put spaces before punctuation.

Anyway, I just saw this article about Zynga being sued by EA for cloning The Sims and I was wondering how much of a big deal it actually is for them, figured this was a good place to ask.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/maxis-and-electronic-arts-sue-zynga-over-the-ville/

I know they've had stuff like this before but they've always tended to clone games from really small developers that couldn't really do anything about it. It seems weird that they would choose to take on such a big franchise as The Sims. Is it as big a deal as it appears?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Aliginge posted:

I kinda want to do fanart of it.

INSECT BATTERU all over again.

Or Crimson Haze. Though I think this guy is (if possible) even less receptive to the constructive criticism he is getting.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Chalks posted:

I hope someone tells that guy that you're not meant to put spaces before punctuation.

Anyway, I just saw this article about Zynga being sued by EA for cloning The Sims and I was wondering how much of a big deal it actually is for them, figured this was a good place to ask.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/maxis-and-electronic-arts-sue-zynga-over-the-ville/

I know they've had stuff like this before but they've always tended to clone games from really small developers that couldn't really do anything about it. It seems weird that they would choose to take on such a big franchise as The Sims. Is it as big a deal as it appears?

Well, more specifically, it's about them cloning Sims Social which, especially given the weird choice of copying Maxis's naming convention of dropping their specifier for the game (i.e. sims vs sim city; cityville to the ville) i don't know. It seems likely to me that someone will settle to avoid some nasty precedent but who knows.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
The most interesting part is that Zynga copied the color values for skin tones. THEY COPIED IT ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE SKIN TONES!

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

Tricky Ed posted:

Every time you name something, the name will wind up being ridiculous someday. It is best to give things names that are silly from day one.

If you put "Smart" or "Auto" etc... into the name, you have doomed your system to be terrible forever.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
From some very old projects' classes/comments:

"DietUDP - because UDP just isn't lightweight enough"

Something called the SuperQueue whose only comment is "gently caress YOU STL YOU BAG OF FUCKSHIT! SuperQueue gonna save the day now!".

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

devilmouse posted:

From some very old projects' classes/comments:

"DietUDP - because UDP just isn't lightweight enough"

Something called the SuperQueue whose only comment is "gently caress YOU STL YOU BAG OF FUCKSHIT! SuperQueue gonna save the day now!".
A project I was on's editor was originally called DeathBlow (because... who knows, a programmer named it). A suit from a happy children's company said it had to change, because we're making kids games here and that editor might eventually be in the hands of customers.

So it got renamed to HappyFlower.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

HAIL LORD ZLATAN posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at? What is that man doing to his anus 3d modeling program :gonk:

Also, I just finished my first week at work :neckbeard: It was awesome once they actually started getting me work to do

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
So I parted ways with my last job about two months ago and in the intervening time I've been doing a lot of UI work on The Secret World. The game doesn't really have a modding interface, but the base interface is open source. As a consequence, I've taken my Actionscript and Flex experience and stepped back and started learning my way around the Scaleform library and Flash Professional.

Honestly I'm really enjoying myself and it's something I want to make a career out of; I've been passionate about and heavily involved with a bunch of addon projects since EQ1, and frankly it's one of the few things that has stayed with me as a hobby over the years.

I've got some decent connections to the development team over at Funcom, and I regularly talk code and report bugs and provide fixes. As a result of that I've got a resume and such in and waiting to be considered sometime in early September and am waiting to hear back from that.

With that background offered up, I'm wondering if anyone has a few tips on ways to make myself more marketable and to line up some other opportunities if the Funcom position doesn't pan out. I've got a solid programming background (primarily on a hobby and unpaid level, but ~4 years writing Flex on contract), a slowly growing portfolio of work I've done on The Secret World, and I'd really like to see what I can do to land a Junior job someplace or another.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

HAIL LORD ZLATAN posted:

You weren't joking :stare: I absolutely lost it at the sudden appearance of Triple H

19orFewer
Jan 1, 2010

Catagorical posted:

So I parted ways with my last job about two months ago and in the intervening time I've been doing a lot of UI work on The Secret World. The game doesn't really have a modding interface, but the base interface is open source. As a consequence, I've taken my Actionscript and Flex experience and stepped back and started learning my way around the Scaleform library and Flash Professional.

Honestly I'm really enjoying myself and it's something I want to make a career out of; I've been passionate about and heavily involved with a bunch of addon projects since EQ1, and frankly it's one of the few things that has stayed with me as a hobby over the years.

I've got some decent connections to the development team over at Funcom, and I regularly talk code and report bugs and provide fixes. As a result of that I've got a resume and such in and waiting to be considered sometime in early September and am waiting to hear back from that.

With that background offered up, I'm wondering if anyone has a few tips on ways to make myself more marketable and to line up some other opportunities if the Funcom position doesn't pan out. I've got a solid programming background (primarily on a hobby and unpaid level, but ~4 years writing Flex on contract), a slowly growing portfolio of work I've done on The Secret World, and I'd really like to see what I can do to land a Junior job someplace or another.

Quick end of lunch reply -

I don't know whether you have any experience with formal UI design, wireframing, user path etc - but that would be something to check if not. The production chain is possibly something you are exposed to at Funcom but while you are talking to them it is is good time to get familiar with the way at least one big house does it. Places vary wildly but having seen it in action in one place you'll have a percieved more valuable opinion (stress on the perception as you seem like you have done enough privately to know the chain already.)

If I were in a position to recruit a UI guy now, I'd also be asking how you would go about tracking user path, implementing A/B and multivariate testing and input/output checking in case of a user using the APIs you are exposing in unintended ways. This is pretty specific to what I do so can be considered as what one person might want but I would guess you'd get 100 different answers from 100 different folks.

It depends also to an extent also whether you want to really specialise in design or implementation or feel happy trying to do it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
One of my friends is working on Watch_Dogs, and they're looking for level designers! So if you've got some experience with designing open worlds and are cool with working from Montreal, drop me a PM.