Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Milkie Galore posted:

transfer it to namecheap/gandi and use dns.he.net for the dns

Any reason why dns.he.net? The website looks pretty outdated. Good reputation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Because they rock and their products rock.

And I'd use HE over Cogent if I wanted cheap transit any day.

(also, once you log in it's pretty much all spergy web 2.0 ajax from there, at least for DNS control)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

Because they rock and their products rock.

And I'd use HE over Cogent if I wanted cheap transit any day.

(also, once you log in it's pretty much all spergy web 2.0 ajax from there, at least for DNS control)

Sounds good, hopefully I don't screw up my google apps account.

edit: so.. with dns.he.net

They don't allow wildcard entries. How would you make domainname.com work without having to do https://www.domainname.com I normally used a wildcard to fix that problem.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 3, 2012

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

lol internet. posted:

edit: so.. with dns.he.net

They don't allow wildcard entries. How would you make domainname.com work without having to do https://www.domainname.com I normally used a wildcard to fix that problem.

Do you mean just so people can enter http://domainname.com/ If so, all you need is an A record. There's sometimes a special naming convention used for the bare domain, "@". HE might use something different, I'm not too familiar with it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

lol internet. posted:

They don't allow wildcard entries. How would you make domainname.com work without having to do https://www.domainname.com

yeah use @ like Anaxite says above (within each zone they set $ORIGIN to your domain)

lol internet. posted:

I normally used a wildcard to fix that problem.

learn dns dude this is fuckin shameful

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Milkie Galore posted:

yeah use @ like Anaxite says above (within each zone they set $ORIGIN to your domain)

learn dns dude this is fuckin shameful

I know DNS a little, not to a full extent, what I actually want to do is if I goto https://www.mydomain.com it redirects to http://mail.google.com. The A record only uses IP though? Would I not use a CNAME in this case?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
That is a HTTP/1.1 301 or 302

Not CNAME. Not implemented in DNS

edit: oh, google apps. set up the cname and it'll http redirect for you. under panel

Impotence fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 5, 2012

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

lol internet. posted:

I know DNS a little, not to a full extent, what I actually want to do is if I goto https://www.mydomain.com it redirects to http://mail.google.com. The A record only uses IP though? Would I not use a CNAME in this case?

Are you trying to get yourdomain.com and www.yourdomain.com to both point to your google apps email login page?

if so, follow http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=53340 (substituting "mail" for "www")
then follow http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2518373&topic=29260 to set up yourdomain.com

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Milkie Galore posted:

Are you trying to get yourdomain.com and https://www.yourdomain.com to both point to your google apps email login page?

if so, follow http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=53340 (substituting "mail" for "www")
then follow http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2518373&topic=29260 to set up yourdomain.com

Yep, that's what I was trying to do.

Thanks I'll have a look at the docs.

jdiboise
Jul 26, 2012
I'm trying to host my own email.

I've got a Mac Mini in a data center, it's running 10.6 server, and has a few mail accounts set up. After finally figuring out my MX records, mail sent by any of the users on the server is sent through as it should be. However, any time anyone attempts to email any of the users, they get this message:

"I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system"

Here is the error report:

Final-Recipient: rfc822; <server address>
Original-Recipient: rfc822;<server address>
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: x-unix; user unknown

What do I do?

TL/DR My user accounts can send mail but not receive, what gives?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
5.1.1 = user unknown, check your logs

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
^^^^^ what he said

jdiboise posted:

Diagnostic-Code: x-unix; user unknown

User unknown. Your logs should point you in the right direction.

e: fb :( never leave a thread open for too long without refreshing.

jdiboise
Jul 26, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

5.1.1 = user unknown, check your logs

Ok, I'm in Server Admin looking at my logs under the Mail service. It looks like the only logs that I have are for mail access and SMTP. I'm not sure which one of these is going to be helpful... There are no errors from any time near the time the email messages were sent to the server, all the errors in the logs i see are from where I mistyped my password or similar. Which logs should I be looking at?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
This is somewhat deja vu (I didn't think there would be more than one person trying to run a mailserver off a coloed mini), but is there a reason you're not just using google apps?

jdiboise
Jul 26, 2012
I have google apps set up for my primary & business email. I work as an audio engineer, so this is more of a hobby for me: I have a mac mini server living in a data center that I'm trying to turn into a server for my house. I got file shares working this morning, I'm trying to get email working tonight :-)

Any help, or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

rawrr posted:

This is somewhat deja vu (I didn't think there would be more than one person trying to run a mailserver off a coloed mini), but is there a reason you're not just using google apps?

Some people are into pain, and it's not our place to judge.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jdiboise posted:

Ok, I'm in Server Admin looking at my logs under the Mail service. It looks like the only logs that I have are for mail access and SMTP. I'm not sure which one of these is going to be helpful... There are no errors from any time near the time the email messages were sent to the server, all the errors in the logs i see are from where I mistyped my password or similar. Which logs should I be looking at?

Have you set the users up in Workgroup Manager?

jdiboise
Jul 26, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Have you set the users up in Workgroup Manager?

No. I'm running 10.7.4 where there is no workgroup manager. Instead, I'm told by apple support articles to look at something called Profile Manager.

I set the users up in server.app under the users tab. Profile Manager also has a tab of it's own, but I believe that's just the way you activate the web based interface. So I've set the users up in server.app, mail and profile manager are the only services running, and I can't find anything in server.app or server admin.app to suggest why mail isn't being delivered, or any logs that might be helpful?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Anyone have experience with dediserve? Their deal looks like a really good one (virtual datacenter where you allocate however many VMs you want based on the number of "nodes" in your resource pool).

Everyone else seems to be complicated, fussy, don't include basics like automatic backups/snapshots, don't have automatic failover/hot-migration, make you pay extra for SAN/NAS, etc.

I'm thinking about setting up a SQL database with the bulk of the resource pool and a couple of web nodes with the remainder, consolidating a couple of different shared host websites and some of my father's business websites onto one virtual datacenter so we can share the beefy SQL machine but have our own web server instances.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
As lovely as Dreamhost is, my sister would like a host for her small business website. It will most likely require little bandwidth and have static pages.

Any reason why I shouldn't use them for this? I will be using google apps for the email portion.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

lol internet. posted:

As lovely as Dreamhost is, my sister would like a host for her small business website. It will most likely require little bandwidth and have static pages.

Any reason why I shouldn't use them for this? I will be using google apps for the email portion.

Have a look at Lithium Hosting. They're pretty solid; their lowest plan (2GB storage/50GB transfer, the non-SA plan) is only $1/month and sounds perfect for her.

If the site will be extremely low traffic and you're comfortable with a host that doesn't have a lot of tools and addons, NearlyFreeSpeech.net is a nice and simple pay-for-what-you-use host. I've used them for small, static sites and they've served me well. Make sure the pricing structure works out, though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is this normal (the very regular IPv6 traffic interval)?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Anaxite posted:

Have a look at Lithium Hosting. They're pretty solid; their lowest plan (2GB storage/50GB transfer, the non-SA plan) is only $1/month and sounds perfect for her.

If the site will be extremely low traffic and you're comfortable with a host that doesn't have a lot of tools and addons, NearlyFreeSpeech.net is a nice and simple pay-for-what-you-use host. I've used them for small, static sites and they've served me well. Make sure the pricing structure works out, though.

Sounds good, just based on their description, they seem worth trying. I'll sign up with them. They don't provide .ca names though :(

quote:

Why we're not the best host in the world.
Let's face it - every hosting company claims to be the best.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

lol internet. posted:

Sounds good, just based on their description, they seem worth trying. I'll sign up with them. They don't provide .ca names though :(

never EVER ever buy hosting and domain in the same place

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

I'm guessing if poo poo hits the fan with the webhost, they hold your domain name hostage? I ended up registering the domain with a goon-run webhost.

Question though, when I direct the DNS to point at X ip address of the webhost, how will they know which site is mine if it's not static? (Or do I now need to get a static IP address?)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

lol internet. posted:

I'm guessing if poo poo hits the fan with the webhost, they hold your domain name hostage? I ended up registering the domain with a goon-run webhost.

Question though, when I direct the DNS to point at X ip address of the webhost, how will they know which site is mine if it's not static? (Or do I now need to get a static IP address?)

You browser send a Host: https://www.whatever header, and it'll pull off a different user/directory based on that.

Request:
code:
Host: forums.somethingawful.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_3) AppleWebKit/535.11 [dont want to break tables]
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-gb,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Connection: keep-alive
Also, transfer the domain to gandi or namecheap or something.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 10, 2012

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

In practice you'll probably be fine if you buy them from the same place but ideally, this. Having your domain name and hosting separate means that you can manage one without affecting the other.

Seconding gandi or namecheap. I like Gandi, they're a bit more expensive but they have good service.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does anyone have any experience with enom? I have a few domains hosted with them (like 4) and I just noticed they have been charging me 10 dollars a month for something called "goMobi" that I never signed up for.

The thing is when I click the "Launch Support Center" button it immediately says "You are now logged out of the Support Center". :confused:

I can't really call the support number because I'm not in the US, and I can't see any other contact options on the site. I was reduced to trying to contact them on Twitter but that was 24 hours ago and no response yet.

How the hell am I supposed to get in touch with them?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I got shafted by enom after the demise of RegisterFly. I ended up having to buy my own domain names back from them (in the guise of NameJet) at auction.

I think they have a ticket system when you log in here http://www.enomcentral.com/help/

I suggest moving your domains to namecheap or gandi asap. If they refuse to refund you for goMobi (did they automatically sign you up to the free trial?), you could do a cc chargeback

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Milkie Galore posted:

I think they have a ticket system when you log in here http://www.enomcentral.com/help/

This is the thing that doesn't work. The support center link just opens a new window that says "you are now logged out of the support center". :(
(I'm logged in and everything, and I tried on a couple different laptops / browsers)

Milkie Galore posted:

I suggest moving your domains to namecheap or gandi asap.

I'll look into this, thanks. Is it gonna cost me? I just renewed a domain for two years with enom...

Milkie Galore posted:

(did they automatically sign you up to the free trial?)

I literally have no idea. I don't even know what it is. I think there might have been a period when my contact email was out of date, so maybe I missed some important emails about it? But would they really start charging me for a service without any kind of consent on my part? I actually thought my account might have been hacked or something at first.

fuf fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 14, 2012

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

fuf posted:

I'll look into this, thanks. Is it gonna cost me? I just renewed a domain for two years with enom...

You'll have to pay for the transfer, but those registrars will just tack on an extra year to however long your domain has now. In the end it will work out about the same.

fuf posted:

I literally have no idea. I don't even know what it is. I think there might have been a period when my contact email was out of date, so maybe I missed some important emails about it? But would they really start charging me for a service without any kind of consent on my part? I actually thought my account might have been hacked or something at first.

Looks like you're not the only one running into this problem. It was probably a "trial" added when you bought your domain names that they just started charging for.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

fuf posted:

namecheap don't charge to transfer as such - you pay for 1 year's registration (minimum) and it extends* the expiry by that amount

gandi charge but you get the extra year free so it works out about the same

*some tlds like .nl are different

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Anaxite posted:

Looks like you're not the only one running into this problem. It was probably a "trial" added when you bought your domain names that they just started charging for.

Oh what the gently caress, thanks for this. I guess I got screwed. None of those people mention anything about refunds so I'm not very hopeful. I also just realised it's been over a year (!) that I've been getting charged. It shows up on my bank account as "domain name registration" so I guess I always assumed it was one of my domains getting automatically renewed for a year. I'm such a retard.

One of those links says this:

quote:

Recently I spoke with HostGator about this issue because they are our hosts, and our Enom account was a subaccount provided by HostGator.

I think this might be why I can't get the enom support to work. I have a vague memory that I signed up with enom through hostgator somehow (I only used hostgator for like 2 months). Maybe they don't let you use the support if it's a "subaccount"?

But yeah, gently caress enom. I would raise hell if I could get through to their support. Maybe I'll shout at them on twitter :v:

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

A word of warning about Namecheap: Their service is fine, but if you cancel a domain name they might appropriate it for themselves. I canceled a bunch of domains and those domains are now going up for auction.

...which is not a huge deal, but it's annoying. I'm glad I moved stuff over to Gandi.

Edit: and they still sometimes show up as an eNom reseller. What the gently caress, Namecheap, you said you were going to move past this years ago.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I use name.com, which isn't quite that sleazy, although Gandi is also fantastic.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

why would you cancel a domain if you still cared what happened to it, that's what transferring is for

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

thelightguy posted:

I use name.com, which isn't quite that sleazy, although Gandi is also fantastic.

I really rate Dynadot... Pretty cheap and super fast registration etc.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Milkie Galore posted:

why would you cancel a domain if you still cared what happened to it, that's what transferring is for

I'm not caring about what's happening to it so much as I keep getting emails about it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Which domain registrar is my best bet for a .com.au?

preferably one who takes paypal if possible, but if there's a dead cheap one who doesn't then that's okay too

http://www.ausregistry.com.au/registrars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just canceled my TailoredVPS VPS because even though it was like $4.00 a month ($6.95 - discount from LEB) it was just extra lovely lately. Random reboots, network connectivity dropping... It was fine for a few months but the last month or so it's the worst it's been.

I can spin up a VM at work to use on it's own IP but I'd rather have something hosted somewhere - but what is there between the $5 VPS providers and a $20 Linode?

I'm just hosting a few shells for irssi, a couple simple websites, and maybe storing some files.