Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Doh004 posted:

Daaaaaaallllll

Thanks for the advice dino. :)
Glad to be of help. :) The beauty of the recipe is that the base can be used to make pretty drat near everything in your house taste heavenly. Got extra spinach or kale that you don't know what to put it in? Throw it in your daal. Leftover baked or boiled potatoes? In it goes. Peas? Please! Corn? Why not! Rutabaga, daikon, turnips, fennel bulbs (roasted or otherwise), any kind of fresh herbs you have lying about ...

The sky is the limit. You can also use different beans to make it more interesting. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.
@meatloaf

Ground Meat, Cream, Eggs, bread crumbs, smokey A1 or A1 or some kind of bbq sauce, grated onion, finely minced garlic, salt and pepper

Topping: 1 cup tomato paste, 1/8 cup bacon drippings(or softened butter, garlic powder, salt, pepper tt

Form a loaf shape in the middle of a sheet pan, frost it well like a cake.

Bake at 375 until a knife comes out hot.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Can I substitute corn starch for tapioca starch in this (or any other) sticky rice and mango recipe?

Do I even need starch? I just checked 3 other recipes and none of them call for it.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Re: meatloaf - I prefer rolled oats over breadcrumbs, and I bake it on an edged pan covered in foil instead of a loaf pan. Other than that, it's pretty much whatever ground meat is on hand, egg, mustard, Worcestershire, a fuckload of garlic and onion, with a sweet and spicy glaze on top mixed up from whatever tomato products I have on hand. 375F until meat thermometer says it's done or you stab the center and the knife comes out hot.

Very Strange Things posted:

Q: I thawed and opened a sealed chicken from my butcher and it smelled of sulfur. I re-froze it already, for later disposal, so the moment is gone but was that chicken bad? It didn't smell like rotten chicken, just a-little-more-than-faintly of sulfur.

Cryopacked meat always smells funky. Just give it a rinse and pat dry. Though now your chicken probably will have a weird texture since you refroze.

Lyssavirus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 1, 2012

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Lyssavirus posted:

me posted:

smelly chicken
Cryopacked meat always smells funky. Just give it a rinse and pat dry. Though now your chicken probably will have a weird texture since you refroze.

I've been told that's dangerous as well. No? If it's not that dangerous I will make soup or something -at the very least stock.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.

Very Strange Things posted:

I've been told that's dangerous as well. No? If it's not that dangerous I will make soup or something -at the very least stock.

If you thawed it in the fridge and when presented with an unpleasant smell immediately put it back in the freezer, then no, it's only dangerous to texture. The danger in thawing and refreezing things is due to bacterial action. If it wasn't hanging out in the danger zone for bacteria to propagate/their toxic byproducts to build up, then it's fine.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

me your dad posted:

Any tips on remembering recipes? Is it just a matter of repetition? I've recently been ramping up my cooking efforts, and I enjoy finding new things to cook on a daily basis.

Do you all typically make some of the same dishes each week? When I do repeat a recipe, it's usually been a while so I have to refer to the recipe.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with that in the first place? I just feel like I should know one or two by now.

I have taken to printing out recipes I like and compiling them in a 3-ring binder. Great for those internet recipes you want to save, but don't want to dig up a bookmark or history. I love my computers but I don't like having to use a laptop mid-cooking to check something. Photocopying things from magazines has also helped me a ton.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I've got two catfish filets and I want to do something other than blackened, baked or fried catfish tonight. I do one of those every time I get catfish. Recommendations?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I've got two catfish filets and I want to do something other than blackened, baked or fried catfish tonight. I do one of those every time I get catfish. Recommendations?
Does pla duk pad ped count as `fried catfish'? If it doesn't, then pla duk pad ped. If it does, reconsider your requirements.

Edit: Or maybe pla duk fu.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Catfish croquettes are awesome, you should make those. I had some in a restaurant once that were made with mashed potatoe as the binder and they were ridiculously amazing.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.
One of the best catfish preparations I have had was partly fried but very different.

1) Cut small pieces, roll in corn meal and crispy fry.
2) stir fry some mushrooms, sweet peppers, onions with garlic and ginger add a couple of tbs of red curry paste continue to fry a bit. Add in the crispy pieces of catfish.

When I had this it also had a Rhizisome called "lesser ginger" it was fantastic.

(Ed. Evidently subg knows the name of of this thai dish.)

magnetic fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 1, 2012

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

SubG posted:

Does pla duk pad ped count as `fried catfish'? If it doesn't, then pla duk pad ped. If it does, reconsider your requirements.

Edit: Or maybe pla duk fu.

I'm putting this off til tomorrow to go find curry paste. Nice pick. I've never had, but I've also never had a thai dish that tasted bad

all of these sound awesome by the way guys, thanks!

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
I managed to find some dried habanero and ancho chiles here, Australia doesn't generally have these available most places so I'm not sure really what I should do with them. I was going to make a big pot of chilli but I have a bag of each so any suggestions would be good :)

Also do I need to rehydrate them? Never really dealt with dried chillies before. How many should I be using? I've grown up on indian and south east asian foods but I've never tried habaneros before which I've heard are one of the hotter types.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I enjoy making a spaghetti sauce from a recipe that calls for tomato sauce and tomato paste. The trouble is I can't find either where I now live. Would tomato passata be an acceptable substitute?

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Dirty Phil posted:

I have taken to printing out recipes I like and compiling them in a 3-ring binder. Great for those internet recipes you want to save, but don't want to dig up a bookmark or history. I love my computers but I don't like having to use a laptop mid-cooking to check something. Photocopying things from magazines has also helped me a ton.

I like to save recipe links on my iPad. It doesn't take up a lot of space on the counter and the touch screen is easy to clean if I end up touching it without washing my hands first.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I had some great Kitfo from a local place today, and it made me want to try to make it at home. Anyone have a good recipe that they have tried?

I guess it is simple enough, but the spice blend/spiced butter recipes seem pretty important.

Also injera. :drat:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I enjoy making a spaghetti sauce from a recipe that calls for tomato sauce and tomato paste. The trouble is I can't find either where I now live. Would tomato passata be an acceptable substitute?

You don't need either of those things. What's the recipe? I just use a fuckoff big can of plum tomatoes in mine, I've never used any kind of premade sauce or paste.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I've started brining chicken in pickle juice before frying lately. The only thing is, a jar of pickles is relatively expensive for what it is. Is there a better option and/or is it safe to use the same pickle juice over and over if I keep it sealed/ covered?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You could just make the brine yourself. There are plenty of recipes online for pickle brine and I'm sure that would be way cheaper than buying it. I wouldn't recommend reusing brine that raw chicken soaked in though.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Please explain dry milk. Are these at all related to the milk solids that precipitate out when clarifying butter?

The reason I'm curious about dry milk at all is I'm trying to figure out what it's good at / why it's included. I've made frozen custard recipes that called for it and they were fine but maybe a little off (e.g. peach custard that tasted milky). Last night I made a frying dredge that called for powedered milk as well. I can only assume the first use is to lend dairy flavor without affecting fluid / crystallization too much? And the frying use because it may aid in browning? I'm just really having trouble wrapping my head around this ingredient's utility.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Can you use a stand mixer with a dough hook any time a bread recipe calls for kneading? I'm making this naan tonight and it says to knead it for six to seven minutes. I'd rather use a mixer if I can.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

me your dad posted:

Can you use a stand mixer with a dough hook any time a bread recipe calls for kneading? I'm making this naan tonight and it says to knead it for six to seven minutes. I'd rather use a mixer if I can.

I actually made this same recipe the other day, and I just used the paddle beater. I'm sure the dough hook would do just fine.

One note - try to roll out the naan as thin as possible. I didn't roll out the first couple of pieces as much as I should have, and they came out kind of doughy in the middle. Roll them out thin and they'll come out much more nice and crisp.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

I actually made this same recipe the other day, and I just used the paddle beater. I'm sure the dough hook would do just fine.

One note - try to roll out the naan as thin as possible. I didn't roll out the first couple of pieces as much as I should have, and they came out kind of doughy in the middle. Roll them out thin and they'll come out much more nice and crisp.

Awesome - and thanks for the tip!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really soft doughs (high hydration) don't always do great with the dough hook. It kind of depends on what you're making.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Quick Guacamole recipe with an interesting twist?

Normally use a couple of avocados, some garlic, tomato, onion, jalapeno, line, cumin, cilatro, cayenne. I mean, it's always pretty dang good but I'm going to a taco themed dinner party tonight (!!!) and was asked to provide some guac. Was thinking of trying something a little interesting.

I guess when I say "something interesting" I'm thinking of how some folks put pears into an apple pie. But not? poo poo I dunno.

Suggestions?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Grand Fromage posted:

You don't need either of those things. What's the recipe? I just use a fuckoff big can of plum tomatoes in mine, I've never used any kind of premade sauce or paste.

12 oz of tomato paste, 15 oz of sauce, then about 8 ounces of red wine with some ground beef plus garlic and spices. I'm thinking the passata ought to be a decent stand in for the sauce/paste combo.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I'm going to Iceland in 2 weeks and was wondering if Hakarl is really as bad as Ramsay and Bourdain have made it out to be?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Only one way to find out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Thats true but I know other celebrity chefs have also said its awful. You might as well try it though if you're going

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am a big advocate of the idea that you should try everything, even if it tastes bad, so that you can talk about it from personal experience and not be that person who just hears things from other people.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 3, 2012

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
To be fair, Bourdain said the worst thing he's ever eaten is a chicken McNugget.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Phummus posted:

To be fair, Bourdain said the worst thing he's ever eaten is a chicken McNugget.

I want to see how he'd react to frozen aisle Tyson nuggets.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Normally use a couple of avocados, some garlic, tomato, onion, jalapeno, line, cumin, cilatro, cayenne. I mean, it's always pretty dang good but I'm going to a taco themed dinner party tonight (!!!) and was asked to provide some guac. Was thinking of trying something a little interesting.

I guess when I say "something interesting" I'm thinking of how some folks put pears into an apple pie. But not? poo poo I dunno.

Suggestions?

You can add many things to guacamole, and they definitely will not be traditional, but they can be very tasty. A "mod mex" restaurant near me has a pretty interesting selection of guacs. Here is a copy/past from the menu:
guacamole | tradicional
guacamole | goat cheese | tomato | chile poblano
guacamole | jicama | pineapple | chile habanero + mint
guacamole | honey crisp apple | mango | thai basil | chile serrano
guacamole | garlic confit | bleu cheese | chile verde
guacamole | smoked trout | bacon | chile poblano
guacamole | pickled corn | crab | chile chipotle

I haven't had all of them but the pineapple/habenero, goat cheese, and smoked trout versions are excellent.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Is the goat cheese mixed into the rest of the ingredients or are there blots of it in and around?

Thinking either it or blue cheese. Hmmmmm.

I might just make it anus puckering hot and call it a day.

Oh hey did you try my guac? It's special. It's really good, but it will also destroy your bowels. No? Ah okay. Sucks. It's really good and special too.

ed

Some one once compared Hákarl to "even stinkier, fishier" Katsuobushi, which is that practically petrified fish that they shave pieces off for seasoning in Japan.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is the goat cheese mixed into the rest of the ingredients or are there blots of it in and around?

Thinking either it or blue cheese. Hmmmmm.

I might just make it anus puckering hot and call it a day.

Oh hey did you try my guac? It's special. It's really good, but it will also destroy your bowels. No? Ah okay. Sucks. It's really good and special too.

ed

Some one once compared Hákarl to "even stinkier, fishier" Katsuobushi, which is that practically petrified fish that they shave pieces off for seasoning in Japan.

It seemed like all the extra ingredients were gently folded in after the "traditional" guac was prepared.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

AKA Pseudonym posted:

http://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-tomato-passata-and-how-156321

You'll be fine but you will likely need to spend more time adding spices and cooking down the recipe to make a nice sauce. Plan on this taking longer than usual to make but it should be very tasty at the end.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

neckbeard posted:

I'm going to Iceland in 2 weeks and was wondering if Hakarl is really as bad as Ramsay and Bourdain have made it out to be?

It's extremely pungent. Remember the first time you had really strong blue cheese or a green olive? Get into that mindset. My Icelandic roomate sat at the kitchen table and ate it like a snack with a toothpick, no hard booze in sight. Other Icelanders make a huge fuss about it. I can stomach it, for sure.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Suggestions?

I've put some chipotles en adobo into guacamole before, it was pretty tasty. It had a smoky flavor as well as being a bit spicy from the adobo sauce. I imagine you could chop up the chiles and put them in as well. It does slightly change the color though, since you're adding red stuff to green stuff but it's not that bad.

Gemakk
Mar 28, 2010
I want to cook with olive oil. However, there is widespread fraud where canola oil, or a mixture of oils would be labelled as olive oil.

I just want to cook and have real, authentic, extra virgin olive oil with no obligations on my part to test these oils myself. Is there a way I can find out what brands are pretty much guaranteed to be authentic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Gemakk posted:

I want to cook with olive oil. However, there is widespread fraud where canola oil, or a mixture of oils would be labelled as olive oil.

I just want to cook and have real, authentic, extra virgin olive oil with no obligations on my part to test these oils myself. Is there a way I can find out what brands are pretty much guaranteed to be authentic?

I should point out that you should probably not be cooking with EVOO, only using it as a finishing. Cooking should be done with extra light olive oil, which has had all the solids processed out of it to make it able to stand up to high heat. That said,

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/720875

quote:

Found to have be fraudulently labeled as Extra-Virgin:
Whole Foods
Rachel Ray
Safeway
Newman's Own :stare:
Colavita :stare:
Bertolli :stare:
Filippo Berio :stare:
Pompeian
Star
Carapelli
Mezzetta
Mazzola

Found to be accurately labeled as Extra-Virgin:
Kirkland Organic
Corto Olive
California Olive Ranch
McEvoy Ranch Organic

Although, hmm...

quote:

i was interested to read that corto and also the california olive ranch financially supported this research.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036509_extra_virgin_olive_oil_fraud_bottle.html

quote:

How to recognize genuine extra virgin olive oil

It's difficult to tell by taste if the brand of olive oil you buy is truly extra virgin. Even the experts get stumped during taste tests. There are two ways that give a hint whether you have the real thing or a fake. Neither is absolutely fool proof; however, they will rule out the hardcore fakes.

Extra virgin olive oil solidifies when it's cold. When the bottle is placed in the refrigerator, it should become cloudy and thicken or even solidify. As it warms on the counter, it becomes liquid again. Any oil that doesn't thicken in the fridge is not pure EVOO -- simple as that.

Additionally, the real McCoy is flammable and should be able to keep a wick from an oil lamp burning. If your oil doesn't, it is not pure EVOO.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/036509_extra_virgin_olive_oil_fraud_bottle.html#ixzz22WxV9RNq

http://www.scambusters.org/oliveoilscam.html

quote:

Here are 8 more tips culled from the book and other sources:

Be suspicious of anything described as extra virgin that costs less than $10 a liter. It likely isn't the real thing (although some prices come close).

Look for the seal of the International Olive Council (IOC) on the label (though, of course, crooks can forge this). Not all products have the seal, but it's a good sign if it's there.

Look for a harvesting date or description on the label, rather the same as you find on wine labels. If there's a date and/or harvest description, it's probably genuine (though, again, this could be forged).

Educate yourself more about olives at the International Olive Council site.

Understand that anything labeled as "light" or "pure" olive oil likely has been processed and is not "virgin" quality.

Opt for California-produced oil. It's less likely to be part of the olive oil scam than something from Italy or other countries.

If you're able to smell the oil before you buy, do so. "It should smell fresh and fruity, without any hint of mustiness," says Mueller.

Shop for oil in dark bottles. A lot of genuine extra virgin oil (excluding the big grocery stores' own brands) is bottled this way to protect the oil from harmful sunlight.

Basically, the bottom line is that California Olive Ranch is your best bet. It gets great reviews, is available at most groceries and the price is reasonable.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 4, 2012