Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

moechae posted:

He was able to get out of a step in harness, and the traditional harness, I never tried the easy lead harness because he never really pulled. It looks like he might not be able to get out of it? I'll try it. Does anyone have issues with it rubbing? every harness I used on Ike ended up rubbing him raw in places, and that looks like it's hitting right under the armpits which could cause chafing.

My easy walk chafed my dog sometimes but my sense-ation harness never has. In either case its super easy to whip up an armpit cover out of some fleece or vet wrap. I'm not sure it would help his escaping at all though. I would suggest putting him in a harness and a martingale collar and having the leash clip to both. Either get a leash with a clip on both ends, use a carabiner, or use two leashes depending on how coordinated you are. That way if he escapes one he's still attached through the other. Definitely don't just use a harness if he has a habit of escaping though.

I would also try walking them separately if possible. Whenever I'm dogsitting my parents' dog I end up going on a million walks because I just can't deal with two separate dog issues at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

SuperTwo posted:

Easy Walks chafe badly and are easy to slip out of. Angus figured out very fast how to get out of one. Try a martingale collar. They are designed to tighten when the dog pulls back so they can't be slipped. They are very popular with sighthound owners because of how small their dog's heads are and owners of escape artist dogs.

Hmm, never had a problem with either of that with mine. Then again, I have a Boston Terrier, so there's not a lot of weight for him to throw around. Martingale collars are good collars.

Also, went outside to throw out the trash, met a lady walking a 4.5 month old English Bulldog. Said dog walked right up to my feet, and immediately rolled onto his back for belly pettings. :3: So cute.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah, all dogs have to do is pull hard enough that one leg pops up and they're slithering right out of there. Angus on the other hand flopped to the ground and rolled a bit, taking all the tension off of it and slipped out somehow. It got to the point where he'd stop drop and roll as soon as we got out the door. drat smart bastard dog.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

SuperTwo posted:

Easy Walks chafe badly and are easy to slip out of. Angus figured out very fast how to get out of one. Try a martingale collar. They are designed to tighten when the dog pulls back so they can't be slipped. They are very popular with sighthound owners because of how small their dog's heads are and owners of escape artist dogs.

I am an owner of an escape artist dog, and I won't very often walk Ham on anything other than a martingale. Works well!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I feel silly for not thinking of martingales, despite being a sighthound owner :doh:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Yea the easywalks, my foster had been able to get out of when reacting to other dogs. It did better once I clipped it to his collar.
This one is a petco brand, Im wondering if that style would be better. http://www.buy.com/th/petco-pull-harness.html

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I don't like that harness, it gets loose a little quickly (a friend of mine owns one. Her dog is not an escapist so it works, but we wouldn't trust it on a wiggly dog.)

Maybe try one where the collar is already attached to the harness? I've seen cute custom ones made but I can't remember the name of the company and the only one I could find when googling is this one (though it looks pretty awesome.)

http://www.wayfair.com/RuffWear-Web...CFSVvTAod1GYAqw

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
I'd think you'd be able to find something like the DT-harness on this Swedish website:
http://hem.passagen.se/jeckson/english/harness.html

Even a flat collar with a choke collar as a back-up is an option. As long as it's just a used to prevent a dog from say running under a car in the event it manages to escape from its regular collar, I'm quite ok with using a choke.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Thanks so much for all the suggestions guys! I think I'm gonna try those DT harness/RuffWear harness and I think I'm gonna buy a martingale as a backup and do what Instant Jellyfish suggested and clip onto both somehow. drat dog is gonna be so wrapped up he won't be able to move. I left 20min earlier today to make sure I didn't run into the jogger, or any other dogs this morning which really helped. I'm gonna keep taking them separately from now on, it'll be a pain in the butt, but I guess that's what I get for getting two dogs. I'm still gonna look into reactivity classes because really, I've just been working around his reactivity rather than fully solving/training over it. Also, hopefully getting him back into some classes will help take my mind off the breakup of my 6yr relationship. :sigh:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

For anyone who bikes/does bikejoring/etc with their dog and has a smartphone, you should download the Nike+ app and see how fast/far you go.

Lola just managed an average pace of 5'23''/km or 8'41''/mile. It's not even the fastest she's gone. I'm pretty impressed; I knew she was fast, but I didn't know just how fast.

Still not quick enough to catch a bunny though.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Neige is having an all-day stay at the vets' office because she spent most of last evening throwing up yellow foam, and the x-ray showed quite a bit of stool just hanging out in her colon, so they're making her drink barium and taking another picture at 4 to make sure there's not a terrible blockage. I'm trying not to have serious separation anxiety but it's not working so well and I have her squeaky snake on my lap and am going to be depressed and worried for the rest of the day.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

ButWhatIf posted:

Neige is having an all-day stay at the vets' office because she spent most of last evening throwing up yellow foam, and the x-ray showed quite a bit of stool just hanging out in her colon, so they're making her drink barium and taking another picture at 4 to make sure there's not a terrible blockage. I'm trying not to have serious separation anxiety but it's not working so well and I have her squeaky snake on my lap and am going to be depressed and worried for the rest of the day.

:negative: Mouse was in for X-rays today, so you have my where-is-my-dog sympathies :(

Here are some puppies for anyone else who needs some :unsmith: today

notsoape fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 3, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Today I learned how lucky I am to have landed a job at the location I did instead of one of our pet resorts. At my daycare (which is indoors), I get around 10 dogs max, which is too many for my comfort, but manageable, and usually it's not even that many. Wednesday we only had 3 dogs. Awesome. Plus it's always regulars, so I get to know the dogs and their play styles. We get the sweetest German Shepherd named Charlotte some days. :3:

But today I worked with someone who works one of the pet resorts. They usually have at least 20 dogs in daycare at a time, and only one attendant. :psyduck: Once they even had around 40 dogs. Which they all had to cram into a tiny garage when it started raining. Jesus gently caress. She was not as educated on behavior as I thought she should be (shocker, I know) and over there they will jump right in and grab collars if a fight starts. She says using an airhorn or the hose doesn't work. Probably because if two dogs start fighting then the rest swarm in on them in a loud frenzy and they don't give a poo poo. Pretty much everyone who works there has been bitten. Just... goddamn. I know that's just how some daycares go, none of this is particularly new or shocking to me, but I wanted to bitch for a minute and be thankful I wound up where I did.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have a kitty! She is hiding under the TV stand now though so no photos until she decides I'm cool and comes out to say hello (so... like.. a week?)

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Update: Neigé is picked up and her second set of x-rays came back clear! The bummer is that the "bland food" she has to eat for 48 hours is Purina stuff and after a day of scheduled feedings of it her nose hair-melting farts have returned. Joy. Back onto the Primal as soon as we can transition without making her digestion sad again.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

ButWhatIf posted:

Update: Neigé is picked up and her second set of x-rays came back clear! The bummer is that the "bland food" she has to eat for 48 hours is Purina stuff and after a day of scheduled feedings of it her nose hair-melting farts have returned. Joy. Back onto the Primal as soon as we can transition without making her digestion sad again.

I'm so happy for you guys! (not about the farts)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Skizzles posted:

Today I learned how lucky I am to have landed a job at the location I did instead of one of our pet resorts. At my daycare (which is indoors), I get around 10 dogs max, which is too many for my comfort, but manageable, and usually it's not even that many. Wednesday we only had 3 dogs. Awesome. Plus it's always regulars, so I get to know the dogs and their play styles. We get the sweetest German Shepherd named Charlotte some days. :3:

But today I worked with someone who works one of the pet resorts. They usually have at least 20 dogs in daycare at a time, and only one attendant. :psyduck: Once they even had around 40 dogs. Which they all had to cram into a tiny garage when it started raining. Jesus gently caress. She was not as educated on behavior as I thought she should be (shocker, I know) and over there they will jump right in and grab collars if a fight starts. She says using an airhorn or the hose doesn't work. Probably because if two dogs start fighting then the rest swarm in on them in a loud frenzy and they don't give a poo poo. Pretty much everyone who works there has been bitten. Just... goddamn. I know that's just how some daycares go, none of this is particularly new or shocking to me, but I wanted to bitch for a minute and be thankful I wound up where I did.

I've been doing nothing but boarding work for the past 6-7 weeks. 24 dogs MINIMUM. Last weekend we had 41. God drat, daycare seems like a day off compared to boarding. I jealous, Skizzles. :mad:

Oh, and that earthquake we had here was cool too. All the dogs went nuts and most of them poo poo themselves/everything around them. That was awesome. Plus, I have bronchitis and I have to go into work tomorrow. :suicide:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Bash Ironfist posted:

God drat, daycare seems like a day off compared to boarding. I jealous, Skizzles. :mad:

I basically spend a couple of hours watching dogs play and then I go upstairs and play with kittens while waiting for the owners to pick the dogs up. :smug:

The downside is it's part-time, and we rarely have dogs on Monday so that's a day I could be getting money but I'm not, which frankly really sucks rear end.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My mom sent me some pictures today of a mouse she and her boyfriend captured and decided to make a playhouse for. They kept it for about 12 hours and then released it in the woods. According to my mom their dogs stared at it the whole time.

The mouse (which was wild and stuck in a vent) was fine and got some oatmeal for the road. :3:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
The doorbell has rung twice this morning, both times for people who wanted to talk to me about Jesus (well one wanted me to go to a back to school thing at the church, kids AND Jesus, yay!). Quaffle barked both times the bell rang. Quaffle NEVER barks at the door. Somehow he KNEW. I have a dog who instinctively warns me about proselytizers. GOOD DOG

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Aravenna posted:

The doorbell has rung twice this morning, both times for people who wanted to talk to me about Jesus (well one wanted me to go to a back to school thing at the church, kids AND Jesus, yay!). Quaffle barked both times the bell rang. Quaffle NEVER barks at the door. Somehow he KNEW. I have a dog who instinctively warns me about proselytizers. GOOD DOG
Please can I have him? Tango, my vocal dog, is non-discriminatory. He will bark at door-to-door salespeople, my roommate, the delivery guy, me (if I don't call out to them as soon as I arrive) and my kids when they come to visit, and they don't even ring the doorbell! Just hearing the door do it's creaking thing is enough to set them off.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Husker has decided to help me with my rat cage cleaning by eating all the poops that fall out the front of the cage :cry:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My friends have chinchillas and a huge habitat for them in their living room. They had to start putting mesh up on the sides of the enclosure to stop so much poop getting flung out of the cage by what she likes to call her "poop rats."

One of their dogs thinks chili turds are possibly the greatest treats ever. :|

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Well if you needed further proof that dogs are gross, there you go!

Feldman has figured out that he's heavy enough now to bounce his front legs against my bathroom door to open it. Why does he want to get in there so bad? A bath mat and all the smelly socks he can eat! :downs:

His Leave It is okay, but he still pushes the door when ever he's in here. It's cute, but annoying at the same time.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
My parents just brought home a puppy. :geno:

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010
Feed it to Moses, problem solved.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

C'mon, details?

Has Moses eaten it yet?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Superconsndar posted:

:suicide:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Superconsndar posted:

Don't you live with them?

This will be fun.

.....pictures??

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Superconsndar posted:

...what kind of puppy?

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Oh no....I'm sorry Super :(

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
lol deets

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Deets indeed. :allears:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh god I remember when Super said her parents were toying with the idea but didn't think they'd do it until their neglected deformed chiahuahua died. :(

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Kerfuffle posted:

Oh god I remember when Super said her parents were toying with the idea but didn't think they'd do it until their neglected deformed chiahuahua died. :(

RIP, fatty.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
HNNNNNNNNNnnnnghhhh

I didn't think they were actually going to go through with it either. They've been browsing craigslist puppies and going to Petsmart on weekends to look at the adoptable dogs for months but they were really casual about it and my mom kept swearing she didn't ACTUALLY want to deal with a puppy. Today she texted me a picture of one of the puppies at Petsmart and asked what mix it was. I said it looked like american bulldog and maybe scenthound. She didn't text back.

An hour later they came home with him, handed him to me, and then asked me to set up one of my crates for him and they were going shopping byeee!!!!!

So now there is a puppy. I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it. At least it's something I like and not another poo poo dog!!!!! (lol like this helps)

He looks like he's about 14-16 weeks to me. (That's what it says on his paperwork, and it looks about right.) I'll take pics later. Right now I'm scrambling trying to puppy proof everything and come up with some kind of plan/schedule for him because lol they're not gonna do it. Not gonna introduce him to Moses until tomorrow, and I'm going to have to come up with a plan for that. Not positive yet about the best way to go about it.

:suicide:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Congrats on the puppy :confuoot:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
At least they adopted it??? :geno: Sorry Super.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Jesus :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Moses is going to flip his poo poo, isn't he.

Goddamn, who just gets a puppy like that?

• Locked thread