Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

I think it would be cool to have opengl capability in a browser; it just seems like a huge piece of poo poo right now but then again pretty much all technology is a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Toady posted:

- web developers for the last 15 years

yes, and we have been continually proven right

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

*Waits impatiently for twitter to do whatever the gently caress it's doing*

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

yes, and we have been continually proven right

web developers actually believe this

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Toady posted:

web developers actually believe this

it's kind of like the AI effect; as soon as the browser can do something new it's expected behavior that nobody thinks is special

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

anyway i'm going to be over here continuing to develop rich interactive web applications and completely not giving a poo poo about optimization

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

optimization is the domain of the all-but-obsolete desktop "developer"

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

yea nobody uses native apps anymore *whistles while sliding iphone under rug*

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

i specifically said desktop, not mobile

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

yes, i know you did

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i specifically said desktop, not mobile

let me tell you about a little thing called the mac app store

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

yall gettin TBC'ed

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tiny Bug Child posted:

hope u take ur free lunch disappearing better than they did

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Yeah, gently caress those guys writing browsers.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Web optimization is handled by google they've optimized web performance so much that web code can run to great acclaim on the server, or even as part of your database

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

0xB16B00B5 posted:

Web optimization is handled by google they've optimized web performance so much that web code can run to great acclaim on the server, or even as part of your database

or you can just write everything in c

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
write verything in C, and what? you're still poo poo out of luck and don't have anything functional. you still need your web framework, and then frontend coded, and pretty soon you need like a dozen people with various expertise in 2 dozen languages and programming paradigms.

or you just use node + express + enyo, and anyone on your small dedicated team can debug and fix any part of your app stack.

"Oh god, bob is the only one who knows his lovely C optimized beyond comprehension code, and he's on vacation, so we're poo poo out of luck for 2 weeks while angry customer bang down our door." you may lose slight performance versus C, but shipping maintainable code faster is way more important than a 5% speed hit.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

0xB16B00B5 posted:

write verything in C, and what? you're still poo poo out of luck and don't have anything functional. you still need your web framework, and then frontend coded, and pretty soon you need like a dozen people with various expertise in 2 dozen languages and programming paradigms.

or you just use node + express + enyo, and anyone on your small dedicated team can debug and fix any part of your app stack.

"Oh god, bob is the only one who knows his lovely C optimized beyond comprehension code, and he's on vacation, so we're poo poo out of luck for 2 weeks while angry customer bang down our door." you may lose slight performance versus C, but shipping maintainable code faster is way more important than a 5% speed hit.

nope, just write everything in c

if your programmers can't write c, then get programmers who can write c

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

or you can just write everything in c

they tried that with php and http://www.coelho.net/php_cve.html

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gucci void main posted:

no programmers can write c

many have the hubris to think they can though

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

gucci void main posted:

mega lol

yes, let's write a modern web application in some antiquated janky-rear end language from the 90s. we'll have pointers

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
sure, let's manually manage my memory, threading, write awful verbose code without monads, ignore every enhancement to langauges in the past 2 decades and still have 0 progress on my front end.

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
phonegap and the like will become better and better each year, so if you want your lovely native code to manage, you still can.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

haha phonegap is so bad. it can draw some buttons and text i guess

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

php is pretty much a nice, friendly wrapper around c that takes out all of the retarded unnecessary stuff (pointers), adds in modern advancements that you have to have to actually be considered a usable language (memory management, a good oo system, lots of ez web stuff). so i write c every day, but it's good, modern c.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

0xB16B00B5 posted:

sure, let's manually manage my memory, threading, write awful verbose code without monads, ignore every enhancement to langauges in the past 2 decades and still have 0 progress on my front end.

and in 30 years, literally no one except old people will understand how any of it actually works

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
C is the cobol of today.

enjoy being a depressed alcoholic neckbeard maintaining legacy banking code

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

0xB16B00B5 posted:

C is the cobol of today.

enjoy being a depressed alcoholic neckbeard maintaining legacy banking code

lol if you believe any of that

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
im gonna seriously lol @ all of you when you have to deal with access violations in 2040 from using bad antiquated C languages

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

0xB16B00B5 posted:

im gonna seriously lol @ all of you when you have to deal with access violations in 2040 from using bad antiquated C languages

yes, lol :smug:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
lol if you think C is a language for writing lovely CRUD apps for banks. try projecting less!

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

gucci void main posted:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

JawnV6 posted:

hope u take ur free lunch disappearing better than they did

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
programmers :rolleyes:

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
hi tef how are you doing

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emd-0dgQGNc

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

php is pretty much a nice, friendly wrapper around c that takes out all of the retarded unnecessary stuff (pointers), adds in modern advancements that you have to have to actually be considered a usable language (memory management, a good oo system, lots of ez web stuff). so i write c every day, but it's good, modern c.

This, this right here is what makes yospos great.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

programmers :rolleyes:

my ADC is bouncing around like a loving jackrabbit when i change clocks. gently caress me with a pineapple!

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

gently caress me with a pineapple!

Turns out that's probably illegal text in my country, I just got arrested jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

0xB16B00B5 posted:

this is why gwt is ownage. you get to use one language everywhere and program your servers with big boy tools