Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I dont see why the rep would care one way or another.

She's probably just pissed because she's making barely over minimum wage talking to pissed off Verizon customers all day, every day. Talk about a thankless job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

maduin posted:

She's probably just pissed because she's making barely over minimum wage talking to pissed off Verizon customers all day, every day. Talk about a thankless job.

Verizon call center work pays fairly well actually.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

maduin posted:

I was honestly surprised she had even a hint of attitude. I frequent over the phone tech support with Verizon and am generally very appreciative of their cooperativeness. I wasn't upset at all, and always warmly thank them for their patience. The only thing I can think of is the handing out of new training materials to deal with the FCC ruling? I'm sure I'm not the only one to call in today to find out what's up with the hotspot news..

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kstatix posted:

Verizon call center work pays fairly well actually.

I didn't work for verizon, but when i worked for sprint about 11 years ago i think they were paying $12/h or so. It wasn't bad. Way better than minimum wage.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
If Verizon is anything like T-Mobile, their call center reps are held to a sales conversion percentage, so any call you can't convert into a sale is a lost cause and gets you that one step closer to losing your job.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I bet they have to get their managers approval for those downgrades and/or get chastised when they let someone decrease their bill

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

AppleCobbler posted:

I bet they have to get their managers approval for those downgrades and/or get chastised when they let someone decrease their bill

This isn't true. Reps and managers are unaffected by changes like this. They do however watch cancellations. I'm guessing the rep he got was just having a bad day.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kstatix posted:

This isn't true. Reps and managers are unaffected by changes like this. They do however watch cancellations. I'm guessing the rep he got was just having a bad day.

THe only thing that I think can affect them financially is bad surveys.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Finally got ICS on my Rezound today. Feels a little slower. Sense smothers it for sure.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Hey verizon people, my mother in law has an (I think incredible?) on an old 3g plan. She's on contract until like October. My question is regarding replacing her phone with an unsubsidized one.

What is the general policy on that? Will she have to change plans? What if it is an LTE phone?

I think she wants to stay with verizon post contract but she would prefer some kind of month to month. Thanks friends!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Gourd of Taste posted:

Hey verizon people, my mother in law has an (I think incredible?) on an old 3g plan. She's on contract until like October. My question is regarding replacing her phone with an unsubsidized one.

What is the general policy on that? Will she have to change plans? What if it is an LTE phone?

I think she wants to stay with verizon post contract but she would prefer some kind of month to month. Thanks friends!

If she buys a phone outright, she can do so with no plan changes (though 3G to 4G might be an issue).

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

AlexDeGruven posted:

If she buys a phone outright, she can do so with no plan changes (though 3G to 4G might be an issue).

I'm sort of in a similar situation. I have a Motorola X2 that I absolutely hate, so I've been considering picking up a used Galaxy Nexus somewhere (unless someone has another suggestion). I'm thinking the cheapest place to get one would be craigslist. Besides cosmetic issues and making sure the phone turns on, what kind of things do I need to watch out for when buying a used phone? I really hope there wouldn't be any problems switching from 3g to 4g, but I'll ask my local Verizon store.

edit: Does the galaxy nexus have to go through Verizon's bullshit really long waiting period of getting Android updates?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 3, 2012

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Super Dude posted:

edit: Does the galaxy nexus have to go through Verizon's bullshit really long waiting period of getting Android updates?

Sure does, the VZW version's next update that will be out somewhat soon, is still ICS.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

right arm posted:

Sure does, the VZW version's next update that will be out somewhat soon, is still ICS.

And anyone ive talked to internally is saying itll be months til a ota jb comes. Good news is bugless beast is pretty awesome so whatever.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

And anyone ive talked to internally is saying itll be months til a ota jb comes. Good news is bugless beast is pretty awesome so whatever.

And the rest of the Verizon phones are on a schedule of "ehhhh, maybe someday probably not" for a Jelly Bean OTA. I guess at least the SGS3 should definitely get it someday, since all the U.S. variants are the same hardware, right?

vvvvv: A lot of it is just Android being Android. Moving to T-Mobile or AT&T would help in that you could use international versions of phones that cost more, but for the most part, count on getting between zero and one major update on any non-Nexus (and non-iPhone). As always, there are hypothetical reasons to be hopeful this might change soon, like more standardized hardware variants across carriers (but see HTC's One series) and Google supposedly starting to release new versions to OEMs a couple months before launch. Don't hold your breath, though.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 3, 2012

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Is there a reason behind that thought process? I wish I could switch to another service, but I don't want to lose my unlimited data. :(

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Super Dude posted:

Is there a reason behind that thought process? I wish I could switch to another service, but I don't want to lose my unlimited data. :(

Verizon is more "through" than the other carriers when testing updates. Luckily, you don't have to run the Verizon approved builds. Which is great, because jelly bean is pretty awesome.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

TenaciousTomato posted:

Finally got ICS on my Rezound today. Feels a little slower. Sense smothers it for sure.

goddamn. Slower? Downloading now...at least we can use the chrome browser after this. I got a notice that this is a "preparation for ICS", not ICS from what I read. OR does it do an ICS upgrade right afterwards?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

notwithoutmyanus posted:

goddamn. Slower? Downloading now...at least we can use the chrome browser after this. I got a notice that this is a "preparation for ICS", not ICS from what I read. OR does it do an ICS upgrade right afterwards?

It preps, then check for updates and download it. Gonna see if battery life has improved tomorrow morning.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

TenaciousTomato posted:

It preps, then check for updates and download it. Gonna see if battery life has improved tomorrow morning.

I did a factory reset a few days ago due to the fact that my data connection randomly drops (but not cell) and apparently a shitload of apps I installed have screwed the battery life, because with minimal app installs I went about 12 hours and lost 20% battery. So maybe it's not the same for everyone, but that was on GB - not even ICS.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

My ex and I are on a family plan but we broke up so our phones need to break up too, haha. It's his plan and I'm the secondary line. We're heading into a Verizon store tomorrow to take care of it. How is this going to go? Do I need to sign a new contract to keep him from getting an ETF?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm thinking about going for this. I was leery of fiddling with rooting and so on, but it's kinda bullshit waiting on Verizon when I was already months behind on an update. Isn't it kinda hard to brick a GNex, and fairly easy to unbrick it and/or return to stock if something's seriously hosed? Because if so, gently caress it, I'm there.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

HondaCivet posted:

My ex and I are on a family plan but we broke up so our phones need to break up too, haha. It's his plan and I'm the secondary line. We're heading into a Verizon store tomorrow to take care of it. How is this going to go? Do I need to sign a new contract to keep him from getting an ETF?

You aren't terminating anything you're just moving to a different plan so you'll assume full costs for one phone.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Going 3G > 4G does not change your plan. When you purchase the unsubsidized phone from any source, you just walk into a VZW store and ask for a SIM card. They update the system so that your phone number is attached to the SIM card, and nothing is effectively changed on your plan. You will NOT lose unlimited. If you lose unlimited, it's because the dude behind the counter who provisioned your SIM is a moron and/or rear end in a top hat.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

JP Money posted:

You aren't terminating anything you're just moving to a different plan so you'll assume full costs for one phone.

But I can't just quit either right? I'm just wondering if I'm signing a new contract or not in case it gives me a chance to get a new phone or something.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You can quit but you need to pay the ETF. Going to your own contract is fine and won't interrupt you you'll just need to pay for a full price plan instead of a reduced price secondary line.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

JP Money posted:

You can quit but you need to pay the ETF. Going to your own contract is fine and won't interrupt you you'll just need to pay for a full price plan instead of a reduced price secondary line.

Gotcha. So will it have to be a big brand new contract or will it "split" from the old one and only have a year or so left like the family plan, if that makes sense?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I think that I've only ever joined a plan or left a plan when I also had an upgrade / renewal available. I don't imagine they will change your plan if you don't want to, but you might end up having to switch to a new tiered plan since you're leaving mid-contract.

Someone else want to chime in?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

Gotcha. So will it have to be a big brand new contract or will it "split" from the old one and only have a year or so left like the family plan, if that makes sense?

You'll have the time left from your last upgrade on that specific line.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Don't you lose unlimited data when breaking up a family plan, now, too?

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Only if you're moving the line(s) over into someone else's name.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm sure I will! Oh well, not much I can do about it.

Edit: Really? I get to keep it? That'd be pretty nice. I was expecting to lose it TBH.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

AlexDeGruven posted:

3g to 4g shouldn't be an issue at all, my dad just swapped out a droid X for a bionic on an limited plan without issue. Just gotta go into the store and ask for a sim card, or call CS to have them mail you one.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

kstatix posted:

Only if you're moving the line(s) over into someone else's name.
Actually not even then. Unless the account you move to has a Share Everything and you roll it into that.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Actually not even then. Unless the account you move to has a Share Everything and you roll it into that.

Wrong. If you have unlimited, and are doing an Assumption of Liability to take over billing responsibility of a line (you are) you WILL have to select from a tiered option.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah you only retained unlimited data while AOL'ing before share everything. Its no longer possible.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

kstatix posted:

Yeah you only retained unlimited data while AOL'ing before share everything. Its no longer possible.

So they are going to force me onto Share Everything while holding me to my contract? How can they do that? And no, I didn't do it yet. I went over there and they just gave me a stupid phone number which I didn't get around to calling today. Bah.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

Wrong. If you have unlimited, and are doing an Assumption of Liability to take over billing responsibility of a line (you are) you WILL have to select from a tiered option.

Ah poo poo that's right, I do remember a discussion with a lot of people about this, in this very thread if I recall.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

HondaCivet posted:

So they are going to force me onto Share Everything while holding me to my contract? How can they do that?

You are changing your contract by having someone else assume it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

WeaselWeaz posted:

You are changing your contract by having someone else assume it.

Yeah oops. :downs:

I called and I can't do anything yet because somehow the line isn't officially released yet even though my ex went into a Verizon store to do specifically that . . . BUT it sounds like I will be allowed to keep my unlimited data and I'll pick out a new minutes plan just like in the old days. They did offer the Share Everything but it wasn't forced on me. I got the feeling that they cannot take the unlimited data line away from me without my permission because I'm sure they would have if they could.

No more subsidized phones for me! :v:

• Locked thread