Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Gemakk posted:

I want to cook with olive oil. However, there is widespread fraud where canola oil, or a mixture of oils would be labelled as olive oil.

I just want to cook and have real, authentic, extra virgin olive oil with no obligations on my part to test these oils myself. Is there a way I can find out what brands are pretty much guaranteed to be authentic?

I'm assuming you're in America.

Imported olive oils fared the worst in testing. Domestically produced oils were more frequently found to be pure, especially California olive oils. It's worth trying to buy locally produced oils if you want extra virgin, however you should not cook with it. Extra virgin is for drizzling on things, virgin or plain olive oils are for cooking.

Kirkland brand olive oil from Costco was one of the higher quality oils if memory serves me right, and should be the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
Maybe I am spoiled on Wikipedia, but I see a lot of mistakes in film subtitles (English-English) and I have the strongest urge to correct them. How are same-language subtitles produced? Screenplay, voice recognition, or some poor jerk sitting in a dark room all day?

Pretending one wanted to correct mistakes, could that be done? I've seen it a lot on Netflix because things tend to run quietly on my laptop or I'm watching with my ESL fiance, and I have to say if someone is truly deaf they are getting so shafted sometimes...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok, so this obviously seems like a scam, but I'm having a hard time recognizing what it is.

Get a random email from 'Professor David Honda' who says he's looking for a personal assistant to do random stuff. Normally I'd send it to spam, but I was curious and actually replied back asking for the application. He replies back with this http://www.linkedin.com/pub/prof-david-honda/53/a54/348 in his signature, and the following attached as a .docx (opened in Google viewer to be on the safe side):
---

Hello,

Part-time Package Handler Needed.

I'm looking for someone who can handle my business & personal errands at his/her spare time. Someone
who can offer me these services:

Mail services (Receive my mails and drop them off at UPS)
Shop for Gifts
Bill payment (pay my bills on my behalf)
If you interested in the position kindly fill out your personal details required.

Let me know if you will be able to offer me any or all of these services.

Where are you located?
I will love to meet up with you to talk about this job but I am currently away on business. I am in
Australia so there will be no interview. I will prepay you in advance to do my shopping. I will also have
my mails and packages forwarded to your address. If you will be unable to stay at your house to get my
mails, I can have it shipped to a post office near you and then you can pick it up at your convenience.

When you get my mails/packages, you are required to mail them to where I want them mailed to.
You don't have to use money out of your pocket. All you have to do is have the package(s) shipped to
wherever I want and do my shopping. You are allowed to open the packages to reveal its content.

The content of the packages are Art Materials and Paintings, clothing, business and personal letters. All
expenses and taxes will be covered by me. You will work between 15 to 20hrs a month.

The pay is $500 weekly. That is not a bad offer is it? I need your service because I am constantly out of
town. I work in an Art Gallery in Australia.

I will be returning to USA on the first Week in August, so this process will be going on till then.

If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I return and then we can talk about the possibility of
making this long term.

Well, let me know if you are able to handle the position. I hope to hear from you soon.

I will email you the list and pictures of what to shop for when I am ready. No heavy package is involved!
You can do the shopping at any nearby store. You will be shopping for Electronics and clothing.

I will provide you my personal UPS account number for Shipping. All you have to do is provide my
account number to UPS and shipping charges will be billed to the account.

I will provide clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well the funds to cover them.

If I were to mail you money to do my shopping plus upfront payment for your services, where will you
want it mailed to? How should your name appear on the payment? Provide me with the following details
Listed below:

Full Name:
Full Address (No PO Box allowed):
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Home Phone:
Cell Phone:
Email address:

Guideline & Benefit as follow
***Weekly pay $500.
***Candidate from USA only.
***Make sure your legal Name & correct address is given for record purpose.
***Instruction on 1st task will be sent via email.
***This position is open to individuals 18 years and above and no sign up fee is required.

NB: Got your email through U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Thank you!
Prof. David Honda
---

I'm thinking it's something like the first task will be to receive money to go shopping which will require my bank account, or something. I'm not going to pursue it any further, but this seems like a new one to me.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
It's this fraud - http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/reshipper.asp

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Robokomodo posted:

the front plate doesn't get a sticker. Only the rear.

Actually, now that I think about it, they stopped giving stickers for the front plates here a couple years ago...in fact, I don't know if front plates are required at ALL in VT anymore.

They recently started selling these "Vermont Strong" license plates that aren't real plates (i.e., like a novelty plate) to benefit victims of Hurricane Irene, and most people I see with them use them in PLACE of their front places, as opposed to being screwed on above/below the front plate. But maybe that's only allowed in this specific circumstance since it's a government sanctioned "fake" license plate.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

tarepanda posted:

Nowhere to put the boss airbrushed vanity plate with a busty woman and tropical sunset.

So, important question, would the carnies who do these (mine's a wolf howling at the moon with my mmorpg handle in slanting iced-out script above) do they just just skip out on going to fairs/carnivals in tx, ca, vt, etc?

I bet there's people in those states that don't even know what we're talking about.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Wagonburner posted:

So, important question, would the carnies who do these (mine's a wolf howling at the moon with my mmorpg handle in slanting iced-out script above) do they just just skip out on going to fairs/carnivals in tx, ca, vt, etc?

I bet there's people in those states that don't even know what we're talking about.

I've never seen one at a fair or carnival, just at malls.

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009
I remember reading something recently, dunno if it was here or elsewhere, that said something about how humans are one of the few species whose grandparents stuck around so that the moms/dads could go out and hunt/forage while the grandparents took care of the kids. It related to how in modern times with both parents having to work vs. the nuclear family that the grandparents thing is making a comeback.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or was this a random drunken thought I had?

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Tuckleberry posted:

I remember reading something recently, dunno if it was here or elsewhere, that said something about how humans are one of the few species whose grandparents stuck around so that the moms/dads could go out and hunt/forage while the grandparents took care of the kids. It related to how in modern times with both parents having to work vs. the nuclear family that the grandparents thing is making a comeback.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about or was this a random drunken thought I had?

I think I read the same thing, a while back. It said that the reason that humans can live so long past reproductive age was because having the grandparents taking care of the kids, or having the old people around to pass on wisdom, helped the survival of the tribe. So it's not just a drunken thought you had, though I don't remember the source either.

Stupid question: How easy is it to tell someone's place of origin via their accent, if you are not fluent in the language that they are speaking?

I was in Portugal recently, being assisted by a shopkeeper (mostly in gestures) and some guy walked up and asked if I was from England. The shopkeeper immediately and correctly responded "No, American" even though I hadn't mentioned that previously. I assumed that she'd picked up on my accent, which is a generic American, but my dad assumed she'd picked up on my coloring, which is definitely not British. Which is more likely, or a combination thereof? If it had been my husband, who has my accent but is much paler, would she have assumed she was from England, America, or other?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm not fluent in Japanese, but I can generally pick out American, Chinese, Indian, and Australian/British Japanese speakers by how they speak Japanese... though this is a slightly different scenario than what you're asking about.

ReD_XIII
Dec 21, 2005
I am trying to think of a word or phrase, and it's something you use when you are saying "this word/phrase conveys no meaningful information and is thus meaningless itself so it is unnecessary." Can anyone help?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ReD_XIII posted:

I am trying to think of a word or phrase, and it's something you use when you are saying "this word/phrase conveys no meaningful information and is thus meaningless itself so it is unnecessary." Can anyone help?

It sounds like you might be thinking of superfluous.

ReD_XIII
Dec 21, 2005

unpronounceable posted:

It sounds like you might be thinking of superfluous.

Superfluous has the connotation of being more than enough or unnecessary in relating to whatever it's talking about sort of like redundant. I mean the word/phrase for when a word/phrase is literally not conveying any information at all and is literally just a waste of words.

E: A synonym I can think of would be like "valueless."

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

miryei posted:

Stupid question: How easy is it to tell someone's place of origin via their accent, if you are not fluent in the language that they are speaking?

I was in Portugal recently, being assisted by a shopkeeper (mostly in gestures) and some guy walked up and asked if I was from England. The shopkeeper immediately and correctly responded "No, American" even though I hadn't mentioned that previously. I assumed that she'd picked up on my accent, which is a generic American, but my dad assumed she'd picked up on my coloring, which is definitely not British. Which is more likely, or a combination thereof? If it had been my husband, who has my accent but is much paler, would she have assumed she was from England, America, or other?

Were you wearing jeans with sneakers? I'd guess it was something in your appearance (could be coloring, sure) rather than your accent.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Extraneous?

ReD_XIII
Dec 21, 2005

But like, an extraneous phrase has some kind of meaning, it's just not relevant. What I'm thinking of is the phrase literally conveys no information. Like the sentence "It is what it is." That sentence conveys nothing because it states something that doesn't need to be stated.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ReD_XIII posted:

Do you mean like a tautology apparently I mean a pleonasm?

e: Oh. "Stupid."

ReD_XIII
Dec 21, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Do you mean like a tautology apparently I mean a pleonasm?

e: Oh. "Stupid."

It was tautology, but not the rhetoric version, it was the logic version. Thank you!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

ReD_XIII posted:

But like, an extraneous phrase has some kind of meaning, it's just not relevant. What I'm thinking of is the phrase literally conveys no information. Like the sentence "It is what it is." That sentence conveys nothing because it states something that doesn't need to be stated.

Vacuous? Edit: welp.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

miryei posted:

American and British accents are kind of easy to tell apart (as a Dane), but there is a large chance that it's an attitude thing as well. Generally speaking, Americans tend to be, for lack of a better word, obnoxious as hell. As in you seem to ask more questions, talk more to strangers and to expect the same of your surroundings.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Do the names The Weave or The True Source mean anything to anyone here?

Just on an off chance.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

tarepanda posted:

Just on an off chance.

The Old Crow comes at Midnight.

Next Illuminati meeting at 0100 at the standard location. Bring Doritos.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ReD_XIII posted:

It was tautology, but not the rhetoric version, it was the logic version. Thank you!

What you said is not a logical tautology.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Namarrgon posted:

The Old Crow comes at Midnight.

Next Illuminati meeting at 0100 at the standard location. Bring Doritos.

bzzt

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

So I have a question; what actually happens to corporate profits?

The way I see it is that there is a revenue, and from that they subtract running costs, employee wages, R&D, executive wages, corporate expenses etc. In the end, say big companies like Exxon have about 45 billion dollars left in profits. I always assumed that 'profits' implies that this already means the executives and CEOs stole their portion of the money, what happens with the rest? I assume there is some oversight to my expenses estimates or do things like R&D simply aren't calculated in the 'profit' number? Because I assume it doesn't all just sit in a big chest somewhere.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Would someone please explain how reddit threads work? Like, I don't understand how to read them, how their organized, where the threads originate, etc... The whole thing just seems like a giant confusing mess, but, at the same time, I recognize that important "internet stuff" happens there, so I am willing to give it try. Thanks.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Namarrgon posted:

So I have a question; what actually happens to corporate profits?

The way I see it is that there is a revenue, and from that they subtract running costs, employee wages, R&D, executive wages, corporate expenses etc. In the end, say big companies like Exxon have about 45 billion dollars left in profits. I always assumed that 'profits' implies that this already means the executives and CEOs stole their portion of the money, what happens with the rest? I assume there is some oversight to my expenses estimates or do things like R&D simply aren't calculated in the 'profit' number? Because I assume it doesn't all just sit in a big chest somewhere.

Someone else can definitely give you a better answer but I believe they're either payed out in dividends (for public companies), spent on capital expenditures, or put in a giant chest somewhere (many companies have giant warchests.) If its a private company the owner can do pretty much what he wants with it I think; it's his money.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Intersting, so capital expenditures is not considered one of those things you substract from revenue in order to calculate profit? Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Would someone please explain how reddit threads work? Like, I don't understand how to read them, how their organized, where the threads originate, etc... The whole thing just seems like a giant confusing mess, but, at the same time, I recognize that important "internet stuff" happens there, so I am willing to give it try. Thanks.

There are two types of posts: links and self. Link posts have a title that links to something. Self posts have a title and a description, but no link. Only link posts generate karna for the poster. All posts are user-submitted.

Any registered user can make a comment on a post. Any registered user can comment on a comment. Each comment is indented a level beyond the parent comment.

This means that each top-level (zero indentation) comment starts a topic that can be followed through the levels of indentation.

Users can vote on comments and posts -- ideally up if they think something is worth seeing, down if they don't. In reality, most people use the votes as up for agree, down for disagree. Comments are usually ordered within each indentation level by total number of upvotes - downvotes. Posts on the main page are ordered likewise.

Votes on comments also affect the comment poster's karma score, so "good" posts are either very informative or feed into the reddit hive mentality.

Old forums and BBSes used to use this type of threaded system. Hopefully that covers it all.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Namarrgon posted:

Intersting, so capital expenditures is not considered one of those things you substract from revenue in order to calculate profit? Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me.

I don't know the details but I've heard in the past that companies were 'investing profits back in the company' as opposed to paying a dividend, which I can only imagine involves capital expenditures as well as maybe other things.

ReD_XIII
Dec 21, 2005

kapalama posted:

What you said is not a logical tautology.

From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tautology

2. Logic An empty or vacuous statement composed of simpler statements in a fashion that makes it logically true whether the simpler statements are factually true or false; for example, the statement Either it will rain tomorrow or it will not rain tomorrow.

The way I was trying to explain it wasn't exactly correct because I misunderstood exactly what it is. This is what I wanted. The whole "so they the phrase itself is meaningless" was my own addition/extension. I know tautological phrases aren't technically worthless/meaningless, but they generally don't add new information, but tautology in rhetoric is simply just the repeating of words/ideas so it didn't exactly match what I wanted.

Maybe I've just convinced myself this is what I wanted, but I think it's acceptable.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm going to a traditional Indian wedding tomorrow. Are there any customs or such I should be aware of?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

tarepanda posted:

Just on an off chance.

It's from the Wheel of Time series of books. The True Source is the power of creation, and source of all magic. The Weave is basically destiny, or fate.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Sometimes in novels you can read "Even now he still had the sportive figure of his college days when he did [some sport]"

So is it possible that longer phases of exercise can really shape the body and have an effect that actually lasts for a long time? Isn't it more likely they eventually regress to a figure mostly determined by current lifestyle and genes?

Let's have someone doing a lot of sports in his life (30-40 years) and then pause for two years and a person hardly doing anything at all, would they be very close to each other over time again?

Sorry if this is stupid.

Sorryman555
Jul 19, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kckn-TZGC4g Is this something like james blake might try getting into next? I know his 2012 album is gonna be heavier than mastodon, but what do you think it'll be like?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Sometimes in novels you can read "Even now he still had the sportive figure of his college days when he did [some sport]"

Don't know but I do know that's not what sportive means.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Toriori posted:

I'm going to a traditional Indian wedding tomorrow. Are there any customs or such I should be aware of?

Untold hundreds, just don't point & laugh or pick your nose. Depending on exactly which 'traditional' & where in the process tomorrow might not be the first or last day of the ceremony. Watch, take cues from those around you, enjoy yourself.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Toriori posted:

Don't use your left hand for anything?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ReD_XIII posted:

From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tautology

2. Logic An empty or vacuous statement composed of simpler statements in a fashion that makes it logically true whether the simpler statements are factually true or false; for example, the statement Either it will rain tomorrow or it will not rain tomorrow.

The way I was trying to explain it wasn't exactly correct because I misunderstood exactly what it is. This is what I wanted. The whole "so they the phrase itself is meaningless" was my own addition/extension. I know tautological phrases aren't technically worthless/meaningless, but they generally don't add new information, but tautology in rhetoric is simply just the repeating of words/ideas so it didn't exactly match what I wanted.

Maybe I've just convinced myself this is what I wanted, but I think it's acceptable.

Good explanation, and I just wanted to (be helpful) and make sure you got that a tautology was about being made true by construction (or definition), rather than being made meaningless by construction (or definition).

It's a distinction that jumps out when the statement is basically a definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

On the Weather Underground site in the View Detailed Hourly Forecast area, it gives the precipitation in mm. mm per what though? Because I know that 4-7mm of rain in an hour is like a light drizzle, but when they forecast anything over 2mm it ends up being a lot of rain.

Am I remembering my rain measurements wrong or is there some new system they're using?