Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

skipThings posted:

Exactly, he was build as an excavation robot, why it has to be snakes ? No idea

Maybe because snakes are awesome? I speak as someone who used to have Snake Man as my avatar elsewhere on the Internets (and probably would here, too, if I ever bothered to drop a few bucks on an avatar). Also snakes are useful for when you want to throw snakes at people. Snaaaakes!

I always liked Snake Man. He was definitely my favorite in Megaman 3, though his weapon wasn't the best or most useful or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

skipThings posted:

Snake Man sounds more dignified than Worm Man.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

HJE-Cobra posted:

Maybe because snakes are awesome? I speak as someone who used to have Snake Man as my avatar elsewhere on the Internets (and probably would here, too, if I ever bothered to drop a few bucks on an avatar). Also snakes are useful for when you want to throw snakes at people. Snaaaakes!

I always liked Snake Man. He was definitely my favorite in Megaman 3, though his weapon wasn't the best or most useful or anything.

He's the most iconic for that game, to me. I prefer Shadow Man though. (yes I rate bosses on their stage's music)

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

He's the most iconic for that game, to me. I prefer Shadow Man though. (yes I rate bosses on their stage's music)

Fun Actual MM3 Canon Trivia: Shadow Man is actually not built by Wily OR Light. His designer is unknown, but it predates both of them somehow...

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

HJE-Cobra posted:

In the Megaman Megamix/Gigamix manga, Snake Man uses his Search Snake ability to completely map out the ship Dr. Light and Megaman are on, which gives the rest of the Wily Numbers the ability to bypass any defenses along the way. I thought that was ridiculously cool.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

In the Megaman Megamix/Gigamix manga, Snake Man uses his Search Snake ability to completely map out the ship Dr. Light and Megaman are on, which gives the rest of the Wily Numbers the ability to bypass any defenses along the way. I thought that was ridiculously cool.

So Snake Man is an infiltration robot master? Does he smoke and have a box too?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Mister Roboto posted:

Fun Actual MM3 Canon Trivia: Shadow Man is actually not built by Wily OR Light. His designer is unknown, but it predates both of them somehow...

I'd never read that before, but the comic seems to be keeping along with that, tying it into Super Adventure Rockman and its ancient sentient plot device. That's pretty cool, then, to tie in the sidegames. Maybe they'll do a Soccer plot. :v:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Azubah posted:

War has changed. ...Metal Man?!

I've always thought it kinda funny how many Metal Gear bosses sound like they could be in Megaman X games too. Vulcan Raven! Revolver Ocelot! Decoy Octopus! And so forth.

Also, I did not know that Shadow Man was supposedly not built by either of them. That's crazy. I thought I knew a lot about Megaman games, too.

In any case, I continue to be disappointed in the lack of new Megaman games. Megaman is among my favorite videogame characters from my childhood, right up there with Mario and Sonic, but he's way less popular for whatever reason. Come on, Capcom! How hard is it to make a super fighting robot go shoot some evil robots and defeat a crazy Albert Einstein? I just want to blow up robots. Is that too much to ask?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

HJE-Cobra posted:

I've always thought it kinda funny how many Metal Gear bosses sound like they could be in Megaman X games too. Vulcan Raven! Revolver Ocelot! Decoy Octopus! And so forth.

Also, I did not know that Shadow Man was supposedly not built by either of them. That's crazy. I thought I knew a lot about Megaman games, too.

In any case, I continue to be disappointed in the lack of new Megaman games. Megaman is among my favorite videogame characters from my childhood, right up there with Mario and Sonic, but he's way less popular for whatever reason. Come on, Capcom! How hard is it to make a super fighting robot go shoot some evil robots and defeat a crazy Albert Einstein? I just want to blow up robots. Is that too much to ask?

I kind of got soured on the Megaman stuff after they decided to make Megaman 9 for masochists and aped so much from Megaman 2. Mega Man 2 was decent, but I actually enjoy some of the later ones more.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

blackguy32 posted:

I kind of got soured on the Megaman stuff after they decided to make Megaman 9 for masochists and aped so much from Megaman 2. Mega Man 2 was decent, but I actually enjoy some of the later ones more.

Yeah honestly 7 and 9 might be my absolute favorites of the classic series. I never played 2 until high school, so the nostalgia factor isn't really there for me even though it's still good and all.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I remember when I used draw to make Mega Man bosses in first grade, and a couple of friends who did the same would make things like [insert animal] Man. And I was all like "You can't do that. None of the bosses are animal based. That's just lazy." Then MM3 came out; and now Shark Man, Dog Man, and Giraffe Man were all legit.

That's just bullshit.

All respect to you now bro, but 22 years ago: gently caress you, Snake Man.

And now I realize that I'm talking about things 22 years ago, and am aware that I'm getting old. This thread is depressing in every way that something can be depressing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sometimes franchises just die off. I don't know of what much else to do. Even Keiji Inafune doesn't seem to want to do Mega Man games anymore. I mean, i'm not upset since I have both the Megaman X Collection and the Anniversary Collection so I can always go back and play them, but I guess people just don't resonate with the Blue Bomber like they used to.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Chibs posted:

I'd never read that before, but the comic seems to be keeping along with that, tying it into Super Adventure Rockman and its ancient sentient plot device. That's pretty cool, then, to tie in the sidegames. Maybe they'll do a Soccer plot. :v:

I think Ian Flynn's actually said he wants to do something with Megaman Soccer.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Chibs posted:

Yeah, check here:

http://kobun20.interordi.com/2010/09/20/ask-me-3-the-final-lesson/

Shadow Man is an enigma in the MM canon still.

blackguy32 posted:

Sometimes franchises just die off. I don't know of what much else to do. Even Keiji Inafune doesn't seem to want to do Mega Man games anymore. I mean, i'm not upset since I have both the Megaman X Collection and the Anniversary Collection so I can always go back and play them, but I guess people just don't resonate with the Blue Bomber like they used to.

I think he does, actually, he liked the Megaman Universe idea. However, I think he's sick of Capcom's current management so that's demotivated him to push any more.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Azubah posted:

According to the Robot Master Field Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Mega-Man-Robo...ter+field+guide) Snake Man was created to survey topography on uninhabited planets marked for development.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

blackguy32 posted:

I think the best hope for Mega Man fans is for a new franchise to take up the reigns. Even now, there are a surprising amount of excellent fangames. If one was released with a more modern style, I could see it making money.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

BexGu posted:

According to the Robot Master Field Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Mega-Man-Robo...ter+field+guide) Snake Man was created to survey topography on uninhabited planets marked for development.

My main motivation for ever giving Mega Man & Bass another go is to unlock all of the character info.

Which is why I haven't given it another go.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Mega Man and Bass would be my least favorite classic Mega Man game if Mega Man I and II for Game Boy didn't exist. And well, Rockman and Forte for Wonderswan, but does that one even count?

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mega Man and Bass would be my least favorite classic Mega Man game if Mega Man I and II for Game Boy didn't exist. And well, Rockman and Forte for Wonderswan, but does that one even count?

Ever played MegaMan II on an actual old GameBoy Pocket with no backlighting? Yeah, it's pretty much the worst thing ever.

Also I've been doing my first ever playthrough of MegaMan Legends with a friend and while I'm almost at the end of it, I'm finding the last hour of it to be annoyingly frustrating. I'm currently at the Bruno Reaverbot boss fight, I keep looking up guides for the game that all say I should do the crummy side quests that I really have no interest in, before I go right to Juno. If I just went straight through the story after Bruno would it be relatively quick? Legends is charming as heck, but the gameplay feels pretty outdated and I just want to finish it already. (...and get back to doing my first playthrough of Wind Waker)

Also, from what I've seen Legends 2 seems a lot better, it supports analog control right? And I swear I saw this too, but can you now situate the camera to the right analog stick? (oh god please say yes)

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 4, 2012

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

LemonLimeTime posted:

Ever played MegaMan II on an actual old GameBoy Pocket with no backlighting? Yeah, it's pretty much the worst thing ever.

Don't you dare diss my first videogame that I ever posessed, I still play it and I love that horrible music :(

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

skipThings posted:

Don't you dare diss my first videogame that I ever posessed, I still play it and I love that horrible music :(

There, there. I owned Bubsy at one point. :cry:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

Also, from what I've seen Legends 2 seems a lot better, it supports analog control right? And I swear I saw this too, but can you now situate the camera to the right analog stick? (oh god please say yes)

You can, but why would you want to? Shoulder camera superiority. :colbert:

Also, if you're having trouble with Legends for some reason, try the walkcancel glitch. Stand in place and get a lock on an enemy, then rapidly tap up while holding down the fire button. You can fire pretty much as fast as you want with that method, making Rapid upgrades pretty much worthless. (It also makes getting Licenses in 2 so much easier.)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

LemonLimeTime posted:

Also I've been doing my first ever playthrough of MegaMan Legends with a friend and while I'm almost at the end of it, I'm finding the last hour of it to be annoyingly frustrating. I'm currently at the Bruno Reaverbot boss fight, I keep looking up guides for the game that all say I should do the crummy side quests that I really have no interest in, before I go right to Juno. If I just went straight through the story after Bruno would it be relatively quick? Legends is charming as heck, but the gameplay feels pretty outdated and I just want to finish it already. (...and get back to doing my first playthrough of Wind Waker)

Legends 2 supports analog but seriously the games are designed around the shoulder inputs and play much better that way - think of how insanely tightly the NES Mega Man games controlled, that is what the Legends controls are trying to replicate in 3D.

From Bruno you're less than an hour from the end of the game if you skip sidequests, and the ending is pretty cool if you care at all about the Huge Plot Infodump (which....I can't believe I'm about to say this about a MM game, but the worldbuilding in Legends is interesting enough to put up with the cheesy way they deliver the plot, if you pay attention). That said I would tell you to jump straight into Mega Man Legends 2, beat the game, then come back to Legends 1 and beat it. If you're already to Bruno then you get the gist of what's going on: bad poo poo is happening around the island because you hosed with a system you didn't understand. If you press on and beat the game you're rewarded with an ending that (while resolving the central, impending conflict) doesn't explain much and raises more questions than it answers...until you beat MML2.

Some people might warn you off of doing it this way, but seriously you're so close to the end of MML that it won't bug you for too long to go back to the older game and put up with it for an hour while you kill the boss. If you power through suddenly the castrati robot monkey will be telling you about Mother Units and Eden and poo poo and you won't know what the gently caress, even though it sort of makes sense and tangentially ties back to the Classic/X/Zero games.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

Also, if you're having trouble with Legends for some reason, try the walkcancel glitch. Stand in place and get a lock on an enemy, then rapidly tap up while holding down the fire button. You can fire pretty much as fast as you want with that method, making Rapid upgrades pretty much worthless. (It also makes getting Licenses in 2 so much easier.)

Is this what is commonly referred to as the "Ultimate Technique?"

Ryoshi posted:

From Bruno you're less than an hour from the end of the game if you skip sidequests, and the ending is pretty cool if you care at all about the Huge Plot Infodump (which....I can't believe I'm about to say this about a MM game, but the worldbuilding in Legends is interesting enough to put up with the cheesy way they deliver the plot, if you pay attention). That said I would tell you to jump straight into Mega Man Legends 2, beat the game, then come back to Legends 1 and beat it. If you're already to Bruno then you get the gist of what's going on: bad poo poo is happening around the island because you hosed with a system you didn't understand. If you press on and beat the game you're rewarded with an ending that (while resolving the central, impending conflict) doesn't explain much and raises more questions than it answers...until you beat MML2.

Some people might warn you off of doing it this way, but seriously you're so close to the end of MML that it won't bug you for too long to go back to the older game and put up with it for an hour while you kill the boss. If you power through suddenly the castrati robot monkey will be telling you about Mother Units and Eden and poo poo and you won't know what the gently caress, even though it sort of makes sense and tangentially ties back to the Classic/X/Zero games.

Yeah, this is a lot of the reason the world of Legends interests me in the same way Wind Waker does to the older Zelda games like Ocarina. It's much, much, much further in the future, so far in fact that the world has become a Halcyon Days type scenario (hell, it's right there in the japanese title of the game) and you're left scratching your head as to how Earth had taken such a leap from say the ZX series to Legends. Actually, a MegaMan series that begins to fill in that gap between ZX and Legends (and I know it's a big gap) would be really awesome, just so long as they don't make another 2D or 3D series that feels too much like a continuation of Zero.

I did read up a bit on the Legends story years ago out of curiosity on some dorky MegaMan wiki and whatnot and I found the character of The Master and the whole concepts of Carbons and Eden and all that jazz to be really cool. Good news is I don't remember exactly how it all ties together and the details, but I remember definitely digging a lot of it as it felt like a much more interesting and fleshed out MegaMan storyline. (to set the record straight: the Zero series may have a worse story than X. Just saying)

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 4, 2012

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

HJE-Cobra posted:

Kojima went on record to point out this was intentional.

skipThings posted:

Indiana Jones reference, maybe?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Megaman Legends: I always set strafing to L/R and rotated with the dpad. Controlled well. Also, Legends 2 is the same tired gameplay with a poo poo ending. The first game is way better.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

LemonLimeTime posted:

Is this what is commonly referred to as the "Ultimate Technique?"

No, I'm pretty sure that's "circlestrafe the enemy with your buster". I'm not kidding. You've got to remember how early these games were, I mean Legends predated OoT.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that's "circlestrafe the enemy with your buster". I'm not kidding. You've got to remember how early these games were, I mean Legends predated OoT.

The targeting system sure reflects that. :/

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hey, at least it's not old school Resident Evil. I still maintain that the shoulder button controls are some of the most finely-tuned I've seen in a 3D action game, it's just a shame that the enemy AI is so primitive that you can literally run circles around it. In retrospect the devs clearly recognized this early on, since in two of the biggest story battles your movement is restricted and you have to protect your ship.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

S-Alpha posted:

I have to replay MML with that in mind. I had no idea.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

Hey, at least it's not old school Resident Evil. I still maintain that the shoulder button controls are some of the most finely-tuned I've seen in a 3D action game, it's just a shame that the enemy AI is so primitive that you can literally run circles around it. In retrospect the devs clearly recognized this early on, since in two of the biggest story battles your movement is restricted and you have to protect your ship.

I prefer RE 4 and 5. gently caress the old school, I could never get into those clunky controls. :colbert:

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?
I've played every original Mega Man game, and I decided it was time to be able to say the same about X. I've always like X, and always been a huge Zero fan. I've finished every one of them except X7, so I found a copy and took it on tonight. I'm through 6 of the stages.

There just isn't ANYTHING right about this game.
  • Impossible to see where you are going in the 3D sections. I died so much on that drat jet stage because I can't judge the jumps, and some other stages had this really zoomed in 3/4 view where I can't see the miniboss.
  • Zero's saber swings retardedly and misses 90% of what you aim for.
  • In the other games, Zero is flying death. He moves fast, swings his weapon a lot, and does good damage. I feel like I move like old Obi Wan Kenobi from episode 4, poking at the bad guy with my glowy stick. Except without the force.
  • Although I liked Axl in X8 (played it on PC) because his laser weapon is overpowered, I didn't understand the hate for him. I now see why. He is rammed down your throat, and because Zero is so terrible you have to use him.
  • X is completely missing for the first 1/2 of the game, and by the time you get him you have spent most power ups on Axl or Zero, so he is pretty gimped. (I haven't gone looking for X's armor yet, I hope it helps him)
  • TERRIBLE voice acting. X is passable, Zero sounds annoyed he took this job, Axl is gratingly bad, and Signas and Alya both sound like they are just reading their script for the first time.
  • Terrible bosses. I haven't had to use a special weapon on them yet, because they are so predictable. That said, there are some who have attacks that aren't dodgeable by X or Axl, so I have to swap in zero, double jump out of the way, the swap back because Zero is pathetic on bosses.

I'm going to trudge through this and complete it just to say I have, but my god... it's just so bad. I'm glad they got back on the right track when X8 came out.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hoppy posted:

I've played every original Mega Man game, and I decided it was time to be able to say the same about X. I've always like X, and always been a huge Zero fan. I've finished every one of them except X7, so I found a copy and took it on tonight. I'm through 6 of the stages.

There just isn't ANYTHING right about this game.
  • Impossible to see where you are going in the 3D sections. I died so much on that drat jet stage because I can't judge the jumps, and some other stages had this really zoomed in 3/4 view where I can't see the miniboss.
  • Zero's saber swings retardedly and misses 90% of what you aim for.
  • In the other games, Zero is flying death. He moves fast, swings his weapon a lot, and does good damage. I feel like I move like old Obi Wan Kenobi from episode 4, poking at the bad guy with my glowy stick. Except without the force.
  • Although I liked Axl in X8 (played it on PC) because his laser weapon is overpowered, I didn't understand the hate for him. I now see why. He is rammed down your throat, and because Zero is so terrible you have to use him.
  • X is completely missing for the first 1/2 of the game, and by the time you get him you have spent most power ups on Axl or Zero, so he is pretty gimped. (I haven't gone looking for X's armor yet, I hope it helps him)
  • TERRIBLE voice acting. X is passable, Zero sounds annoyed he took this job, Axl is gratingly bad, and Signas and Alya both sound like they are just reading their script for the first time.
  • Terrible bosses. I haven't had to use a special weapon on them yet, because they are so predictable. That said, there are some who have attacks that aren't dodgeable by X or Axl, so I have to swap in zero, double jump out of the way, the swap back because Zero is pathetic on bosses.

I'm going to trudge through this and complete it just to say I have, but my god... it's just so bad. I'm glad they got back on the right track when X8 came out.

I thought X's voice in X7 was terrible. He sounded like a butch lesbian with a turd in her mouth.

Also: you made it through X6?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

The Human Crouton posted:

I thought X's voice in X7 was terrible. He sounded like a butch lesbian with a turd in her mouth.

X6 is a case of 'they just didn't care and kicked the game out the door'.

X7 is a case of 'hey, you, paying customer? gently caress YOU'

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

He probably does, he is just is the least annoying out of the ones I have heard.

X6 is bad, but its playable. X7 doesn't even feel like a Mega Man game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What were the GBC Mega Man X games like?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Hoppy posted:

He probably does, he is just is the least annoying out of the ones I have heard.

X6 is bad, but its playable. X7 doesn't even feel like a Mega Man game.

I enjoyed X7 way more than X6 once I got passed the drat intro stage. But X6, I loving hate that drat game. Those drat spikes pissed me off way more than anything in X7.

However, X7 I think is the only game where I think I used all my lives on the intro stage, so there is that.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

What were the GBC Mega Man X games like?

... welp, I forgot those existed. I'll have to take care of them in the future. I kind of wrote them off as rehashes of the snes games.

I have played the original series megaman games on gameboy, but i completely forgot that X was even on GBC.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Hoppy posted:

... welp, I forgot those existed. I'll have to take care of them in the future. I kind of wrote them off as rehashes of the snes games.

They pretty much are, although getting to play as Zero in some of the X2 stages (in Extreme 2) and some other minor additions make them worth playing. Before Maverick Hunter X it was THE way to get your Mega Man X fix on the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, check here:

http://kobun20.interordi.com/2010/09/20/ask-me-3-the-final-lesson/

Shadow Man is an enigma in the MM canon still.
It's probably tied into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtR2m20C2YM&t=9s

blackguy32 posted:

Keiji Inafune would really still like to work on Megaman, but he didn't want to work under Capcom's management anymore. And he'd like to do something more than Mega Man. There's a good chance he was a major player in supporting Mega Man and convincing the management to keep making sequels, considering the treatment the franchise got as soon as he was out the door.